PDA

View Full Version : Couple More Peter King Observations From Camp (Good Surtain and D. Johnson Points)

RINGLEADER
08-08-2005, 09:43 AM
3. I think these are two things you can see at a training camp that you can't see at many other times of the year because lots of teams close practices: In River Falls, Wis., on Saturday morning, I saw Chiefs wideout Eddie Kennison split right, with new corner Patrick Surtain lined up in his face. The ball was snapped to backup quarterback Todd Collins. Kennison got jammed off the line by Surtain and knocked off his route. Collins looked right to Kennison and saw he'd been pushed off his route, and he immediately looked elsewhere. Great play by a pro cornerback, one needed desperately by the Chiefs. Next play, Collins took the snap and made a delayed handoff to Larry Johnson. At the top of his lungs, Surtain screamed, "DRAWDRAWDRAWDRAW!!!" I thought, what a great addition Surtain is. My second observation at Kansas City camp:

Late in the same offense vs. defense drill, rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson, who might be the best rookie in any camp, saw the offense was setting up for a screen pass to the right, led by center Casey Wiegmann. Johnson slithered through the offensive protection, then went full-speed for Johnson, with Wiegmann in the way. In these drills, you're supposed to go three-quarters speed and avoid full-on contact. But Johnson blasted into Wiegmann like it was opening day, and the offense immediately started jabbering at Johnson to take it easy. Which he should do. You don't want a starting player getting hurt on a three-quarters-speed, early-August drill in training camp. But as coach Dick Vermeil told me, "I absolutely loved that."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/08/06/mmqb.mcguire/2.html

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson, who might be the best rookie in any camp

Wow. :drool:

Crush
08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I can't take this anymore. I want my football!!!

BigRedChief
08-08-2005, 09:53 AM
I can't take this anymore. I want my football!!!

No chit man. I'm pumped!

Chiefnj
08-08-2005, 09:55 AM
rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson, who might be the best rookie in any camp

Wow. :drool:

Was there any doubt other than the typical off-season BS generated by draft publications? He was the most dominant LB in the NCAA for two year. Then all of a sudden between February and March when a single game isn't played there are tons of question marks - BS.

chagrin
08-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Excellent, excellent...I'm stoked!

htismaqe
08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Was there any doubt other than the typical off-season BS generated by draft publications? He was the most dominant LB in the NCAA for two year. Then all of a sudden between February and March when a single game isn't played there are tons of question marks - BS.

Sure, but he didn't say "best LB" or even "best defensive player".

He said "best PLAYER" period. That's pretty high praise.

Scaga
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
In these drills, you're supposed to go three-quarters speed and avoid full-on contact. But Johnson blasted into Wiegmann like it was opening day, and the offense immediately started jabbering at Johnson to take it easy. Which he should do. You don't want a starting player getting hurt on a three-quarters-speed, early-August drill in training camp.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/08/06/mmqb.mcguire/2.html

Maybe he was going 3/4 speed.
Maybe he's got yet another gear we haven't seen? :hmmm:

ROFL

vailpass
08-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Suddenly Peter King has credibility on this board?
What's changed?
:evil:

beer bacon
08-08-2005, 11:20 AM
What's changed?

He finally seems to be seeing the light.

bkkcoh
08-08-2005, 11:25 AM
What's changed?

He was there to actually see what is taking place instead of assuming that the Chiefs didn't make enough changes.

Thig Lyfe
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM
IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET!!?!?!?!?!

DeepSouth
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM

ROFL
Really, When they were giving him crap, he should have responded with: " you want me to play slower, you should have told me to go half speed".

KChiefs1
08-09-2005, 02:16 PM

ROFL

My thoughts exactly! :clap:

Zebedee DuBois
08-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I love hearing all these things about DJohnson. It's almost Scanlonesqe.

BigRedChief
08-09-2005, 02:52 PM
I love hearing all these things about DJohnson. It's almost Scanlonesqe.

DJ couldn't carry Scanlon's jock

Mr. Laz
08-09-2005, 02:59 PM

don't complain... it's that off-season BS that allowed DJ to be drafted by us.

ct
08-09-2005, 03:20 PM
don't complain... it's that off-season BS that allowed DJ to be drafted by us.

game point

joesomebody
08-09-2005, 07:44 PM
g. Thank the Lord for the Kansas City Royals.

What did King mean by this point in his non football related thoughts?

DaWolf
08-10-2005, 07:27 AM
g. Thank the Lord for the Kansas City Royals.

What did King mean by this point in his non football related thoughts?

His Red Sox were able to fatten up on the Royals, who are, despite all odds and belief because who knew it could get worse than it already was, more pathetic than ever...