PDA

View Full Version : Employers, Opinions needed.

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 09:10 PM
So Im trying to get a job at GameStop. I applied on Wedensday. I then stopped back in on friday and asked about my application. Should I go to their madden Kickoff party tonight. if so, what should I say?

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Anybody?

KC Jones
08-08-2005, 10:17 PM
You always have to wait 3 days before you call a chick!

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah, but the manager is a guy, and guys are impatient!

headsnap
08-08-2005, 10:26 PM
are you planning on shoplifting the game?

Nightfyre
08-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Uh, no I wasnt planning on acquiring the game at all, unless it was totally necessary

Rausch
08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I would go. Be friendly, and persistent. Saying "I'd love a job like this" etc...

chagrin
08-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Ask Rain Man, he has some very interesting insight on hiring employees

Saulbadguy
08-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Its a retail job. I doubt there is much you can do before they even give you an interview to solidify your chances for a job.

Dartgod
08-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Ask Rain Man, he has some very interesting insight on hiring employees
And Hoover has some insight on firing them...

beavis
08-09-2005, 08:19 AM
You always have to wait 3 days before you call a chick!
Everybody waits 2 days, but 3 days is kinda money.

ROYC75
08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Keep looking for another job just in case.........

WilliamTheIrish
08-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Quite a career path you've chosen.

J Diddy
08-09-2005, 10:57 AM
First are they hiring?

Second when people bug me for a job it pisses me off. Get them to commit when way or the other; i.e. they'll either set up an interview or tell you they'll call you if they need someone(which is the kiss of death). If they give you the I'll call you bit either find something else or wait a month and fill out a new app.

jspchief
08-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Its a retail job. I doubt there is much you can do before they even give you an interview to solidify your chances for a job.Agreed. It's not like you need to make up for shortcomings on your resume.

I would go a step further and say too much persistence will probably hurt your chances. Hanging around and bugging the people that work there will probably come off the wrong way.

I would stay clear for a while until it looks like the job has been filled, or you've been hired.

bogie
08-09-2005, 11:06 AM
So Im trying to get a job at GameStop. I applied on Wedensday. I then stopped back in on friday and asked about my application. Should I go to their madden Kickoff party tonight. if so, what should I say?

A couple of questions. What is GameStop? Is this a high level position or a clerk at the counter? Have they asked you in for an interview yet? What would you say to whom, do you know who the person is that would interview you should you get an interview?
Who ever you meet, let them know you have applied for a job. Let that lead the conversation to wherever it will go. Spend the majority of the conversation listening and responding. Let them talk about themselves and at least appear to be interested. When the conversation ends say something to the effect of "it's been very nice talking to you, I'm excited to have the opportunty to work here because I can tell this company hires class people."

KC Kings
08-09-2005, 11:45 AM
"it's been very nice talking to you, I'm excited to have the opportunty to work here because I can tell this company hires class people."
ROFL The last time I was in game stop there wasn't a single employee that had there normal hair color or lack visable piercings, and it appeared that playing video games was number one on the priority list above personal hygeine and having sexual relations.

bogie
08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
ROFL The last time I was in game stop there wasn't a single employee that had there normal hair color or lack visable piercings, and it appeared that playing video games was number one on the priority list above personal hygeine and having sexual relations.

In that case, end your conversation with "dude, you rock, wanna see my pierced penis"

KC Kings
08-09-2005, 12:20 PM
In that case, end your conversation with "dude, you rock, wanna see my pierced penis"

That might work. Just make sure you don't try to clean the piercing with any Old Spice body wash before the interview.

Skip Towne
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Go in there and demand to be hired. Retailers like forward people.

luv
08-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I would go to the party, but not mention anything about the job or your application. Just go have fun. Mingle. Be very friendly. Make an impression without mentioning anything about the job. You've called back once already. Give it about a week or two before calling back again. You want to seem very interested, but not desparate.

Saulbadguy
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Go in there and demand to be hired. Retailers like forward people.
ROFL

StcChief
08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
If you go to Madden part don't ask about the job. (It would piss me off as Mgr). Act like a potential customer and game player.

Don't put stock in you'll get the job.

Keep applying elsewhere

Interview as if you want it when/if you get the chance no matter where it is.

1st job? Won't be your last one.