PDA

View Full Version : Monday, Aug. 8 , 2005 Afternoon Practice Update

beer bacon
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?page=2&Files=08-08-05pm.htm

Monday, Aug. 8 , 2005 Afternoon
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

The rain clouds moved out and the sun was shining for this evening's hot and steamy practice. The temperature at the start of practice was 89 degrees with a heat index of 94 degrees. The dew point was 69 degrees and the wind was from the southwest at 12.5 miles per hour. There were 136 fans in attendance to watch the practice on the main field.

Special Teams

Kicker Lawrence Tynes was 6-6 kicking field goals with kicks at 28, 32 and 28 in the first set and 28, 33 and 38 in the second. Holding was punter Dustin Colquitt.

Offense

The first team drill of the day was red zone 11-on-11's. Wide receiver Marc Boerigter caught a great pass from quarterback Trent Green for a 15-yard gain.

In 7-on-7 drills this afternoon quarterback Todd Collins threw a great pass to wide receiver Jeris McIntyre for a 20-yard gain. The crowd applauded the catch and it was the first sound the crowd made all day.

During special teams practice this afternoon the quarterbacks practiced target passing using nets that were set up in the end zone. Quarterback Todd Collins was perfect in both of his series going three for three in each one. Quarterback Trent Green also hit one series perfect with three for three.

In the final series of 11-on-11s running back Ronnie Cruz took a hand off from quarterback Todd Collins for a 15-yard gain. After the run, Coach Vermeil said, "You got it! Well done!!"

During 9-on-7 drills this afternoon running the ball was strongly emphasized. Backs Dee Brown, Tony Richardson, Ronnie Cruz, and Robert Holcombe all saw a lot of snaps. Smith took a hand off from quarterback James Kilian for a great outside run of 25-yards.

Running back Samkon Gado was out on the field today, but not practicing. Gado stayed after a few minutes to do some running drills.

Running back Priest Holmes was not at practice today. Wide receivers Nathaniel Curry and Freddie Mitchell were both absent from this afternoon's practice.

Eddie Kennison had the day off of practice this afternoon. Larry Johnson had a strained thigh and Coach Vermeil is not sure when the running back will be back.

Guards Peter Heyer and Will Shield were both absent from practice this afternoon as well.

When asked how Tony Gonzalez is recovering, Vermeil said, "I think he's doing a lot better. I saw him out here bouncing around a little bit, so I think he's better. I'm anxious to get Jason Dunn out here, we're really short on tight ends. Kris Wilson got a boo boo on his hand and they took him out of practice, and that's the way that goes. We end up with two young kids; that's why we put them up in front. I don't think they signed up for that kind of duty."

Coach Vermeil was asked if he saw anyone emerging in the wide receiver spot, Vermeil didn't single anyone out. "Well, I think we have real good competition, and I think when their given the opportunity to play in a game, freshen up first and play in a game, everyone's sort of bunched up. There isn't anyone that can't play. Some guys might end up playing better than others. Certain guys might have specific talents: some might have a better run off of the catch, some might be able to lead and catch the ball better. But, overall their very competitive."

During 7-on-7 drills this afternoon, Coach Dick Vermeil spent a great deal of time watching the offensive linemen work on blocking and footwork.

Asked how he feels now during training camp after missing mini camps, guard Brian Waters replied. "I feel great. I'm not having any issues. I came in and didn't think I'd have any issues with the playbook. I've been in the playbook for a few years now. I feel good. I feel absolutely wonderful."

Defense

Vermeil praised the performance of third-year defensive tackle Ryan Sims. "Doing good, by far his best training camp, the other day he had his best football practice ever, since I've been here. I don't know how he did today, but he's really getting better," says "Fundementals, determination, toughness. I mean the whole thing. He's putting his hat on the screws. Just ask anyone who's lining up to him now," continuedVermeil on the improvements of Sims.

When asked about the competition for the corner spot opposite Surtain, Vermeil replied, "Right now Dexter is clearly having a very good camp, and of course Eric is working and working good. He's always competing and what he's trying to do right now is keep the edge he has gained—and the experience he has—and utilize it again once after the four-game suspension. The veterans brought in are doing good.Benny Sapp has been doing well. We got to wait and see."

Vermeil agreed with the assertion that the defense is getting tougher, especially the line. Vermeil replied, "Well, the contact on the line of scrimmage. You know, when you go those half lines, in a controlled hot tempo. How they handle themselves coming off blocks, those kind of things, how firm they are. It's a lot harder for us to run the ball on 9-on-7 drills especially. running inside, those kind of things. You can see that and feel it."

Tonight's missing defensive players included defensive tackles John Browning and Junior Siavii, defensive ends Carlos Hall and Jimmy Wilkerson, and linebackers Shawn Barber, Quinton Caver, and Mike Maslowski .

During the first set of 11-on-11s, cornerback Patrick Surtain put pressure on wide receiver Samie Parker. Parker was just about to make a catch from quarterback Trent Green when Surtain jumped in and knocked the ball out of Parker's hands, ending the play. On another play defensive end Jared Allen and defensive tackle Lional Dalton stood out when they pressured quarterback Todd Collins, which caused Collins to throw the ball away out of bounds. Defensive tackle Arrion Dixon also knocked the ball the ball down on another toss by Collins.

The defense and offense also worked on 9-on-7 drills together. During the entire session the defense stepped up its game, and were reading the plays well, getting excellent penetration. Linebacker Boomer Grigsby had one of his best plays during camp by grabbing running back McKenzi Smith and flipping him over, stopping his run. Also, linebackers Derrick Johnson and Keyaron Fox defeated the blocks by the offensive line and together hit fullback Tony Richardson in the backfield.

Defensive tackle Montique Sharpe has finally returned to practice after being out for a few days due to injury. During 7-on-7 drills Sharpe tackled fullback Robert Holcombe to stop his run. Also during 7-on-7s, cornerback Ashley Ambrose pressured wide receiver Jeris McIntyre, causing McIntyre to drop the ball.

During the final set of 11-on-11s, the defense was very active. Rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson made two big tackles. The first was on rookie tight end Mike Kallfelz , which pushed him out of bounds. His second hit created a huge defensive turnover. Fullback Robert Holcombe made a catch and was running with the ball, when Johnson put a big hit on Holcombe, which slowed, but did not stop him. Cornerbacks Dexter McCleon and Patrick Surtain together hit Holcombe, which caused him to lose the ball, and the defense recovered it.

Also during 11-on-11 drills, several players made near interceptions. Cornerback Patrick Surtain almost caught quarterback Trent Green's pass, and cornerback Dewayne Washington had a ball slip through his hands from quarterback Todd Collins as the defensive line watched from the sideline and groaned.

First-round draft pick Derrick Johnson found himself in lucky shoes today, as he was able to recover a loose ball during passing drills. Quarterback Trent Green couldn't quite complete a pass to tight end Kris Wilson and Johnson was right there to grab the fumble and run. Following that play, the relatively small crowd in the stands applauded and cheered in approval.

During practice today, the defense worked on a 3-3-5 setup. Normally the defense sets up with four defensive linemen, three linebackers, and four defensive backs. During this set-up, it was three defensive linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs. This design was created to give the defense a different look while in a nickel situation. It is commonly used in long pass situations, as well as third downs.

After practice tonight, linebacker Boomer Grigsby stayed after to practice, moving from Ramer Field onto the practice field. He was working on the single sleds for about 10 minutes with running back coach James Saxon.

Fans

Gary Meyer, along with daughters Lilly, Johanna and Vanessa came up to Summer Training Camp from Eau Claire, Wis. Gary has been a Chiefs fan for 35 years and has been to almost every camp at River Falls in the past 15 years. The family enjoys watching running back Priest Holmes, quarterback Trent Green, tight end Tony Gonzalez and is hoping that cornerback Patrick Surtain will contribute a lot to the team this year. Gary is also confident that linebacker Mike Maslowski will come back strong from injury and rookie punter Dustin Colquitt will make an immediate impact. Some of his favorite Chiefs memories include seeing quarterback Joe Montana at the first Summer Training Camp and getting autographs signed by wide receiver Dante Hall. Gary says, "The Chiefs will have an awesome year if they can just beat Denver twice and Oakland twice."

Bill and Gina Johnston, Lake of the Ozarks, Mo., are attending Summer Training Camp for the first time this year. They arrived in town at 3 a.m. this morning. Although they applaud the entire team for their play, the Johnstons love watching tight end Tony Gonzalez and running back Priest Holmes. They are also anticipating watching rookie linebacker Derrick Johnson in action. Some of their most memorable games include a Monday Night Football game against Buffalo, a 49ers game when legendary quarterback Joe Montana still played, and a game when the Chiefs played at Tampa Bay. If everyone stays healthy, the couple believes, the team will win the division. They are staying at the Country Inn until Wednesday .

Bill Lewis and Patty Camerillo, Kansas City, arrived in the beautiful city of River Falls one hour before practice started. It is their first time up at camp. Patty is a season ticket holder and is lucky to have sister Janice working as a security guard for the Chiefs. Patty enjoys the play of quarterback Trent Green and tight end Tony Gonzalez, while Bill is intrigued by the style and grace of running back Priest Holmes. Although the two have many fond memories of the Chiefs , they said they would never forget two of the games that Chiefs lost. Bill said, "It was the longest game in history- Christmas Day in 1971. The Chiefs lost against Miami in 6-1/2 quarters, and I even cried!" Patty says that she remembers the Chiefs playoff loss against the Colts a few years ago. "I remember it because we were supposed to go all the way that year and lost right away." As for this year, Bill thinks that the offense is still potent, but the real test will be the defense.

This is Bill Groner's first time in River Falls for the Kansas City Chiefs summer training camp. When asked what brought him up this way Groner responded, "Good Wisconsin beer and three friends. I'm here just for the fun." Groner is an original season ticket holder and has now passed them along to his son. He is also a former Red Coater, which is "kind of an honored society in Kansas City made up of people who sold 100 season tickets in the early days."

Jim and Joyce Lawson just bought a new motor home and had the itch to try it out, so they made their way to River Falls to watch the Chiefs practice. "We like to watch everybody. We have met several of the parents out and about so we usually keep our eyes out for those particular players," said Joyce. "We also met Elvis and Red Xtreme," added Jim.

Jerold and Wendy Murray recently moved to Cottage Grove, Minn., from Olathe, Kan. They have been to Chiefs games but never to a training camp, so when Wendy's mother Ann Kalman of Morrow Bay, Calif ., came into town they decided to gather up their kids Trent, 10, and Rachel, 7, and take a day trip to see the Chiefs. "We were so close we wanted to check it out," said Jerold. When asked who her favorite players were, Rachel responded, "Trent Green and 44 (Eric Warfield)."

Extra, Extra…Read All About It!

Kansas City Mayor Kay Barnes attended practice this afternoon. She spent some time speaking with Chiefs Executive VP/Assistant GM Denny Thum and also head coach Dick Vermeil saying she will do whatever she can to fix the problems at Arrowhead Stadium because she would love to have the Chiefs back in Kansas City for training camp. Vermeil said in the mean time he is quite happy with the facilities at UW-RF. Barnes drove to Wisconsin today but will only be spending only a short time here as she heads back tomorrow.

Vermeil invited the mayor to deliver the after-practice inspirational talk after the Tuesday morning practice. Vermeil noted that the players will love to hear from her, eliciting a response that she would be honored to speak to the team.

Also greeting the mayor was UW-RF Public Affairs Director Mark Kinders who welcomed the mayor to campus and asked her to extend greetings to a mutual acquaintance. On Barnes's staff is Bryan Gadow, who worked with Kinders in the University of Wisconsin System Administration, and who headed to KC after earming his master's in public affairs from the LaFollette Institute at UW-Madison.

The fans from the rail were heard yelling "Boomer " trying to get rookie linebacker Boomer Grisby to sign autographs. Grigsby did not oblige.

Following practice cornerback Justin Perkins and safety Sammy Knight worked on shuffling and footwork drills together.

Quarterback James Kilian worked after practice on dropping back, faking left and throwing right. He has consistently been the last one off of the field for the last week.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez worked on reaction and catching drills following practice today. Fellow tight end Jason Dunn assisted him.

Safety Sammy Knight and cornerback Justin Perkins spent some time after practice working on fast footwork. Tight ends Tony Gonzalez and Jason Dunn, neither of whom practiced this afternoon, also took snaps from tight end coach Jason Verduzco after the majority of players had left the field.

-----------------------------------

Another good day for DJ and Surtain it seems. Also, Boomer is a prima donna.

tommykat
08-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Larry Johnson had a strained thigh and Coach Vermeil is not sure when the running back will be back.

Not good to hear, but Gonzo out there some is good news.

Chan93lx50
08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Larry Johnson had a strained thigh and Coach Vermeil is not sure when the running back will be back.

Not good to hear, but Gonzo out there some is good news.

No it does not! Hopefully we will have more information tomorrow morning

beer bacon
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
No it does not! Hopefully we will have more information tomorrow morning

They talked about it on KC sports radio today. They said it was a bruised thigh. I don't think it is that serious.

Coogs
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
During practice today, the defense worked on a 3-3-5 setup. Normally the defense sets up with four defensive linemen, three linebackers, and four defensive backs. During this set-up, it was three defensive linemen, three linebackers, and five defensive backs. This design was created to give the defense a different look while in a nickel situation. It is commonly used in long pass situations, as well as third downs.

I wondered about this the other day when the coaches said Mitchell was staying on the field in the nickel situation. This could be fun to see.

Mr. Laz
08-09-2005, 01:17 AM
When asked how Tony Gonzalez is recovering, Vermeil said, "I think he's doing a lot better. I saw him out here bouncing around a little bit, so I think he's better

just tony pulling his yearly "i wanna miss some practice" routine

i imagine it hurts his ego a little to see some veterans only work one practice a day. He wants to feel "important" too.

beer bacon
08-09-2005, 01:40 AM
just tony pulling his yearly "i wanna miss some practice" routine

i imagine it hurts his ego a little to see some veterans only work one practice a day. He wants to feel "important" too.

I thought he was already only working one practice a day since he is coming off his surgery.