View Full Version : Merrill: Interior D key for KC

tk13
08-09-2005, 01:36 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12336666.htm

Interior D key for KC
Line coach looking for some tough guys

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — Ryan Sims isn’t talking. He walks off the practice field, dripping from the Wisconsin heat and a quarterback sack. At least three times Monday, someone on the Chiefs’ coaching staff showered Sims with praise. Now Sims needs a shower. And he isn’t saying a thing.

“I’ll talk to you all during the season,” Sims said.

Bob Karmelowicz is talking. He’s sitting in a comfortable chair Monday in the Rodli Commons, chatting about his defensive line. The Chiefs went shopping in the offseason to fix the defense, but none of the moves involved an interior lineman. Karmelowicz says that’s OK, because they spent two high draft picks on line help in the last four years.

Remember the draft picks? Junior Siavii was a second-rounder in 2004. He’s missed most of camp because of tendinitis in both knees. Sims was the No. 6 overall pick in 2002. After three long years, he’s making progress.

In a three-play sequence Monday, Sims shed his blocker and rushed the quarterback, recorded a sack, then jawed at offensive lineman John Welbourn before the potential scuffle was quickly broken up.

Karmelowicz says Sims is maturing. Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters says Sims has been explosive.

“But the thing about Ryan and everybody else is that this is training camp, and it’s early,” Waters said. “This is a long season, and we need guys to be consistent. I think Ryan realizes that as well as the other guys on defense.”

Sims started on a not-so-good note in 2002, when he was a training-camp holdout and then dislocated his left elbow. He played only six games that season. Sims followed with his best season in 2003, recording 83 tackles and three sacks. He had just 30 tackles and two sacks last season.

Football, Karmelowicz says, was always important to Sims. But now it’s a profession and not a fantasy. Sims spent extra time in the offseason working on his weaknesses. He did it, apparently, with no special prompting from the coaching staff.

“I think Ryan’s finally figured out that it’s nice to be a high draft pick, it’s nice to have a lot of money,” Karmelowicz said. “But what are you really doing? This is your profession, this is what defines you as a person professionally.

“Ryan, to a certain degree, has matured some since the beginning. And people are always going to be overcritical of someone who makes a lot of money who’s not an instant fabulous person. But like any kind of profession or any kind of growth process, it takes time. It’s just the more money you get, the less patience they have.”

The Chiefs say it takes three years for the average rookie defensive lineman to figure things out. And then there are some exceptions. Arrion Dixon, a rookie free agent, has been impressive enough in camp that he’s had some spot action with the No. 1 defense.

Dixon doesn’t completely know what he’s doing, but he’s exhibited the one quality that Karmelowicz looks for the most in rookies: toughness. Rookies receive more blows than they give in training camp, and Dixon hasn’t shied away, Karmelowicz says.

Neither has third-year tackle Montique Sharpe. Both have moved ahead of Siavii, who watched workouts again Monday.

“It’s a concern of mine,” Karmelowicz said. “You only have a short window. Junior is a young guy who hasn’t really been tested much. He was hurt a lot his rookie year. For him to miss again … sure, it gets to be a concern. Because there are a couple of young guys who are a year younger than him who haven’t missed and are really ahead of him right now.”

Starting tackle Lional Dalton says he’s rooting for Dixon because Dalton, too, was once a rookie free agent. When the Chiefs didn’t acquire any interior linemen, Dalton took it as a sign that they were doing OK. But there is always room for improvement.

Karmelowicz is making subtle technique changes, preaching for them to use their helmets more on tackles.

“We need tough guys,” Karmelowicz said. “We encourage dysfunctional behavior. We were 7-9 last year, right? So nobody was tough enough.”

WebGem
08-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Ryan Sims is without a doubt a black male.

WebGem
08-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Ryan Sims is without a doubt a black male.
ROFL

beer bacon
08-09-2005, 01:52 AM
83 tackles in 2003? ESPN.com says 39, and NFL.com says 38. I am guessing she got the stats from the NFL, but accidently switched the 3 and the 8. A DT that recorded 83 tackles in a single season would have to be a monster.

el borracho
08-09-2005, 02:11 AM
How many picks have we spent on Defensive Tackles in the last 4 years and so far no real return to speak of. And now Siavii has tendonitis in both knees? Not at all encouraging.

Seriously, is it that hard to find a good defensive tackle? As far as I know they don't have to be anything other than big, strong and mean. Is it really that much to ask?

tk13
08-09-2005, 02:24 AM
83 tackles in 2003? ESPN.com says 39, and NFL.com says 38. I am guessing she got the stats from the NFL, but accidently switched the 3 and the 8. A DT that recorded 83 tackles in a single season would have to be a monster.
You combine that with Hicks' 237 QB pressures last season, we have the most fearsome defensive line in the league.

Nightfyre
08-09-2005, 02:34 AM
/me rooting for the rookie FA.

Tuckdaddy
08-09-2005, 04:32 AM
I had big hopes that Junior would be a monster in the middle for us but damn he hasn't been able to even practice. He might get dumped.

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 05:45 AM
man, Siavii is going to be a complete bust...

Mecca
08-09-2005, 06:26 AM
man, Siavii is going to be a complete bust...

All of this would be 100 times better if we had taken John Henderson instead of Ryan Sims. That Siavii pick was terrible, not only did his background suck. Basically everyone thought the guy was a 5th round pick.

Maybe we should just sign FA DT's drafting them doesn't work for us at all.

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 06:30 AM
All of this would be 100 times better if we had taken John Henderson instead of Ryan Sims. That Siavii pick was terrible, not only did his background suck. Basically everyone thought the guy was a 5th round pick.

Maybe we should just sign FA DT's drafting them doesn't work for us at all.

it just seems Siavii has no desire and particular talent other than being big...whoever signed off on that pick blew it big time...the guy has done absolutly nothing for a year and a half and now he's benched with tendonitis in both kness....damn, we needed him this year in a big way

StcChief
08-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Looks like the Rookies will get the shot this year as Junior sits and waits to be released.

BigChiefFan
08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Junior better get it together soon. I hate taking 2nd round projects and Junior has definitely been a project.

TEX
08-09-2005, 08:47 AM
I had big hopes that Junior would be a monster in the middle for us but damn he hasn't been able to even practice. He might get dumped.

Yep, and he showed promice in spot duty last season until the Atlanta game where he was injured. It doesn't look good for him now. :shake:

Crush
08-09-2005, 08:50 AM
:banghead:

Chief Faithful
08-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Can anyone on this board relate to tendinitis is both knees? It makes Siavii sound like he is either out of shape or a complete pu**y.

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Can anyone on this board relate to tendinitis is both knees? It makes Siavii sound like he is either out of shape or a complete pu**y.

that's what I'm thinking too...it sounds like an old man's, or vets, ailment...can any doctor types comment on whether it is unusual for a young person to have this, and whether or not it is chronic?

Iowanian
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM

I've had tendonitis in both knees, and probably do now as sore as they are the past couple of weeks.

I can tell you that it could be very difficult to work out with knees that sore and swollen..........and contact to them could/would hurt alot.

A couple of years ago, I'd had a tear in the patellar tendon, among other things, and developed tendonitis....ended up having the middle of it cut out when they fixed my knee.....Its still sore.

I can tell you, that mine were sore enough, I couldn't squat down to change a tire, tie my shoes without pain........and things like catching for a kid throwing a baseball required either sitting on a bucket or on the ground.

I'm 32, so its not always an old man thing.

The bad thing is...it takes time. He can have them treated, take the celebrex, ice them.........and wait.

I started developing tendonitis problems in my arms 6 years ago when spending alot of time in the gym. I fight it in my forearms-elbows all the time now, from too much time at a pc(work).........and I'd say that it IS kind of a chronic thing at this point. I take tylenol a couple times a day, and ice my knees and forearms(and do the stretches, which is very important).

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 10:00 AM
The bad thing is...it takes time. He can have them treated, take the celebrex, ice them.........and wait.

and we all know how much DV likes that

Iowanian
08-09-2005, 10:01 AM
It could be something he Could work through........but Rest, stretching, cortizone rubbed in with an ultrasound?, anti-inflamatories, ice are the only way I've been told to "cure" it.

He could probably physically play, but if they're like mine...it'd hurt alot and get worse each week-day.

Chief Faithful
08-09-2005, 10:09 AM
In college we had anywhere from 6 to 8 Samoans at any given time. Half of them seemed to have glass knees, but the flip side is they never had the discipline to rehab their knees and keep them strong.

Hopefully with Siavii it is simply a strength and discipline issue that can be resolved in time. The Chiefs need his size in the middle.

Mr. Laz
08-09-2005, 11:12 AM
anyone else getting nervous about all this praise?

i mean Kawika mitchell is apparently the 2nd coming of Dick Butkus now.

now sims is "mean" joe greene or something

now i realize i'm a skeptic, but if i start hearing how Eric Hicks is all the sudden playing like Reggie White ........ i'm gonna start calling BS. :cuss:

Saul Good
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM

I didn't look up the stats, but you have to be right. I was thinking, "How in the hell did he get that many tackles as a DT without me noticing that he was playing?" Maybe he's got 83 career tackles...Nope, just checked. He's only got 59 career tackles. She also more than doubled his last season tackles. We're all dumber for having read that article.

KC Kings
08-09-2005, 11:36 AM
It could be something he Could work through........but Rest, stretching, cortizone rubbed in with an ultrasound?, anti-inflamatories, ice are the only way I've been told to "cure" it.

He could probably physically play, but if they're like mine...it'd hurt alot and get worse each week-day.

Screw that! I've seen North Dallas 40. Get out the cortizone and the horse needles, and get that sissy back on the field.

Halfcan
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah I was questioning the numbers as I read the story. If you catch Rufus Dawes article awhile back he slams this chick for not checking her facts on past holdouts. Looks like once again she made a fluff piece without putting much thought into it-just a few well-placed quotes to try to emphasize her point. I beleive she is new in town-so if she had witnessed Simms play, she would have known 80 plus tackles was a joke. She should have just talked about his child hood, fav color and movie like most of her other stories. Halfcan