PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2005 Preview: My TC Experience

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:35 AM
This was the fourth time in five years I’d been able to attend. If you are an NFL fan, it's a GREAT time for those who've never attended. We spent 3.5 days, including "Family Fun Night"--which was only one of the three. :banghead:

I've included as posts, my take on the Offense, Defense, and Special teams....in posts #2-4, if you are interested.

I haven’t read much from the coverage the past four or five days, so I’ll be interested to see what the impressions of others have been. In any event, here are some random thoughts and observations I made while in River Falls 2005, in no particular order....and they are strictly, of course, IMHO. :)

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:36 AM
The team, offensively:

The offensive machine we’ve witnessed should continue to score points and frustrate defensive coordinators around the league. I was especially impressed with the depth of the offense—particularly, the O-Line: Ingram, Bober, Welbourn, and Black all looked good. The new RT, Sampson was impressive: I watched him a lot, and he more than held his own: Solari is a magician. Svitek is a keeper too. Williams will struggle to make the team, and Barnett is likely gone. Should any of the starters falter for whatever reason though, we should be okay.

With Holcombe and LJ, backing up TRich and Priest respectively…the backfield is as deep as any I recall in recent memory. If Priest is healthy for the season, he will have another huge season. Dee Brown fits into our system well and was also impressive—he has quick feet, runs hard, and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Tony was Tony, Dunn was hobbled (but should get healthy, apparently), and Kris Wilson looked really good. He has great hands, runs patterns well, and beats any LB (except DJ) and most safeties trying to cover him. I envision Saunders calling some double TE “fade” patterns into the endzone with Gonzalez and Wilson.

The best competition, of course, is at WR….and it’s not for lack of players. Wow. Kennison may be an “average” number one WR, but what I saw of Parker, Boerigter, and Thorpe really put my concerns about the WR position at ease. My sense is Boerigter will be the 3rd WR most of the time, with Dante, Horn, or Thorpe as the number four. Those five, and one of the players out of the Smith-Horn-McIntyre-Booth group, will be a formidable group of receivers if we keep Dante plus five. Thorpe may need some time to develop, but he will make the team….and probably contribute quickly. Whoever gets cut in this group, will likely catch on elsewhere in the NFL—there’s just too much talent there.

If Trent goes down...that would suck; that’s our biggest concern, of course….but Collins played well—hell, he should know the system by now, if nothing else. If Trent goes down, expect more of the ground game though. Huard looked solid if unspectacular. Kilian would be worth a practice squad slot, and could challenge Huard for the third string QB roster spot.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
The team, defensively:

My first impression last year was, “well, they are playing against one of the best offenses in the league, so they’ll have a tough time…but seem okay” This year, it was a night and day difference. The Offense last year didn’t have to work hard for yards, and seemed to score at will…not this year. The Defense was aggressive, persistent, and more “spirited.” There were several scuffles (but nothing serious) that seemed to stem from the Offenses frustration with not having their way with the Defense. The LBs and Defensive backfield seemed markedly improved. Knight IS a leader, and brings the fire we lacked back there.

The LBs looked great—absolutely exciting to watch. Bell is a stud. Mitchell is improving (Gun isn’t just blowing smoke.) And DJ is the real deal; he’s a rookie, still uncertain at times….but he will be on the starter. Fujita, Scanlon, and Fox were all very good too. Those six were just animals. I mean, tenacious, rip-your-head off types—even Fujita and Scanlon. Grigsby has exciting potential because of his fire and aggressiveness, but he is raw (he’ll be third at MLB—sorry Scanlon haters.) Kris Griffin was the other impressive LB—he could make the team. I saw little or nothing from Caver or Stills, so unless they make it for special teams I think they are gone. Maz is running, but his days are numbered. If Barber comes back, this goes from a team weakness to a team strength in one season.

Wesley is playing like he did two-three years ago--he was punishing in coverage, and seems more focused. Knight is a presence there—a leader and a playmaker, although I must admit he seemed “slower” than the others, more like a LB—especially in run support. Woods actually looked really good too—even in coverage, although he might still get cut because of the money situation. Bartee actually looked comfortable and like he knew what he was doing, alongside a steady Harts. Surtain looked like the first “shutdown corner” I’ve seen in Red ‘n Gold in a long time—he seemed to be the only CB to consistently blanket WRs. McCleon, as DV has said, seems to be back in form—maybe there was something to the “injury” he played with last year. He wasn’t 5-7 yards off his man every play, as it seemed he was last year. Warfield looked good—but it was usually against second team players. Sapp could challenge for the nickel spot, as he was very impressive too. I liked Hodge and Perkin’s intensity, fire, and athletic ability, but they’re gonna need some time. The disappointment for me: Ambrose and Washington….neither showed me anything. Maybe they are adjusting to Gun’s scheme, but they better hurry.

The D-Line…as we have suspected, appears to be the weakness. Our O-Line, even the backups, out muscled and out hustled our D-Line most of the time. DV says Sims is ready for a big season? I didn’t see it. I hope I’m wrong. The only guy who looked fired-up and ready to go was Dalton. Browning was hurt, but can probably be counted on for solid if uninspiring play. Hall was MIA, WTF is with that? Even Allen seemed lethargic or just plain lazy. Hicks continued to take up space, but that’s about it. Saivii was apparently sick, lame, or lazy— was nowhere to be found (except on the sideline). Somebody better light a fire under these guys quick. Because of the improvements LB and in the Defensive backfield, they may be “okay,” but our defensive improvement this year won’t come from the line. A pick-up before the regular season would be wise.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Special Teams notes:]

Nick Murphy is auditioning for other NFL teams. There is no way Colquit doesn’t make the squad. The hang-time on Colquit’s punts was simply amazing. Even the coaches were shaking their heads in amazement. Towering, booming, directional kicks—and he made them look easy. Murphy looked like a HS kid in comparison. Colquit will be a Pro-Bowl punter someday—and probably sooner rather than later. Tynes seemed more consistent this year; more confident and at ease. He should be, there’s no one challenging for his job. We’ll see if that translates into more consistency during the regular season though. I’m hopefully optimistic. Then, of course there is Dante, and Kendall Gammons: enough said.

As far as young players who should help on Special Teams: Grigsby, Hodge, Wilson, Dee Brown all seem like warriors; Perkins, Connot, Horn, Clint Mitchell and Booth may make the team, because of special teams contributions. Darrell Hill, the WR from Tennessee didn’t show me much….but maybe DV already knows what he needs to know about him from Gun, and his time with the Titans.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Final Thoughts:

It’s a great opportunity to see the players and practices, up close. You even get a sense for some of the personalities, competition, and tensions within the team.

River Falls is a great little community. Very friendly and accommodating; nice downtown and outdoors activities, and close to Minneapolis for those with big city tastes.

“Family Night” sucks. 3 minutes of skydivers, 22 minutes of autographs for which many people stood in line for 4+ hours, and “activities” that many couldn’t take part in….because they were in lines for autographs. Hello? McFly??? How about a “numbering” system? :cuss:

If you want autographs, hang out around the practice fields before and after practices. The “scheduled” signing sessions worked well too—for the specific groups of players who are scheduled anyway. If you want Priest, Green, or Gonzo’s signature…..you can get them, with patience and persistence....but, good luck.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I'll include a few pics:

My son and niece with Stevie Ray, AKA "First Down Elvis"....thanks, Stevie:

Cormac
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Wow.

Excellent report.

Thanks!

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
DJ, during a drill:

ChiefsOne
08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks Kotter, great read.

We have drafted DT how many times in the first 3 rounds the past few years and still have nothing to show for it. WTF

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Me and Dirk Digler....lookin' forward to seeing you at Joe's, David. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
The Bad Guy and I, waiting in line....for Gonzo's signature. Frank will be in KC for the home opener:

kc rush
08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info Mr Kotter. Its always good to get a fans view.

Ari Chi3fs
08-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Excellent read... I look forward to drinking a few beers with you again this year, Mr. Kotter!

damn, Im ready for Football!!!

alpha_omega
08-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks! Enjoyed reading your perspective on things!!!!!

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 10:59 AM
thanks for the report...Sims will be the difference between a top 20 D and a to 15 D....yikes..

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
thanks for the report...Sims will be the difference between a top 20 D and a to 15 D....yikes..

That's my thought as well; if he and Saivii don't produce....that will be our weak spot, along with 2nd CB....for the first month.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Excellent read... I look forward to drinking a few beers with you again this year, Mr. Kotter!

damn, Im ready for Football!!!

That's two of us. :)

John_Wayne
08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Great report!! I wish I were there.

I've been to camp a few times as a guest of the Chiefs. I got to stand on the sidelines with the players, coaches and media during practice. I stayed in the same dorm rooms as the players and media. I also ate lunch with the team in the cafeteria. It was awesome!! My friend was good friends with one of the coaches and we got invited to all sorts of stuff as VIPs. This year, that coach went to Arizona and I'm not a VIP any more. That sucks!!

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Kotter, great read.

We have drafted DT how many times in the first 3 rounds the past few years and still have nothing to show for it. WTF

Yeah, the League is struggling finding good DTs, all-aound it seems....except those damn PATRIOTS!

EDIT: FTR, I just read Merrill's article on "interior" defense.... :shake:

Mr. Laz
08-09-2005, 11:23 AM
i only hope that our improved linebackers and secondary will make up the difference for our defensive line.

our defensive line coach should be beaten senseless and receive a acid enema.

RINGLEADER
08-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Brilliant report...much appreciated for those of us who can't attend.

ROYC75
08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
The team, defensively:

The LBs looked great—absolutely exciting to watch. Bell is a stud. Mitchell is improving (Gun isn’t just blowing smoke.) And DJ is the real deal; he’s a rookie, still uncertain at times….but he will be on the starter. Fujita, Scanlon, and Fox were all very good too. Those six were just animals. I mean, tenacious, rip-your-head off types—even Fujita and Scanlon. Grigsby has exciting potential because of his fire and aggressiveness, but he is raw (he’ll be third at MLB—sorry Scanlon haters.) Kris Griffin was the other impressive LB—he could make the team. I saw little or nothing from Caver or Stills, so unless they make it for special teams I think they are gone. Maz is running, but his days are numbered. If Barber comes back, this goes from a team weakness to a team strength in one season.

From the reports of people I know that went said basically the same....

Said that DJ made our current LB's look slow in drills......

dirk digler
08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Me and Dirk Digler....lookin' forward to seeing you at Joe's, David. :thumb:

Me too. I had a great time at River Falls as well.

On a side note Gawd I am ugly...

Mr. Laz
08-09-2005, 11:26 AM
ROFL

i hate seeing photo's of myself too

ROYC75
08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
ROFL

i hate seeing photo's of myself too

We have alot in common, I take lousy pictures. I think I have only taken a couple of good ones I liked, ever........

DeepSouth
08-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Kotter, thanks for taking the time to put this together. Great read.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 11:49 AM
From the reports of people I know that went said basically the same....

Said that DJ made our current LB's look slow in drills......

The odd think is, for him....it seems effortless. Deceptive speed....

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 12:05 PM

You fit in just fine with the rest of us....except the ladies, of course. :)

BigRedChief
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
The Bad Guy and I, waiting in line....for Gonzo's signature. Frank will be in KC for the home opener:
You should post this in the where has the planet been thread.

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 12:18 PM
You fit in just fine with the rest of us

Nonsense. I'm a pretty motherf*cker.

ROYC75
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM

If you stop cross dressing in pink, you wouldn't be able to get them

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
You should post this in the where has the planet been thread.

Yeah, I'll get to that a bit later... :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Eh, you pretty boys need the rest of us to feel good about yourself.... :p

Phobia
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Nice job. Cool pics, too. Did you guys have any trouble finding one another at camp? Did you arrange it ahead of time or did the gear make it natural?

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Nice job. Cool pics, too. Did you guys have any trouble finding one another at camp? Did you arrange it ahead of time or did the gear make it natural?

No trouble meeting at all. Yeah, the gear helped though. Bad Guy hadn't had access to the net so he missed my other thread on the TC trip, so he found me because of the gear.

I had several folks ask about "ChiefsPlanet" too, and they said they'd check us out....including a Midwest (Southwest?) Airlines exec and his wife who were huge fans, and had just been relocated (from Denver, where during the past few seasons he'd insisted on "Red Fridays" in his office...heh) to Milwaukee and were taking in TC. They hang at the Star board, but said they'd check us out....(his airline is the one that acts as a shuttle for Priest for his Monday AM to Wednesday PM TC appearances....heh..)

Pants
08-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Midwest Airlines are the shit.

DTLB58
08-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Final Thoughts:

It’s a great opportunity to see the players and practices, up close. You even get a sense for some of the personalities, competition, and tensions within the team.

River Falls is a great little community. Very friendly and accommodating; nice downtown and outdoors activities, and close to Minneapolis for those with big city tastes.

“Family Night” sucks. 3 minutes of skydivers, 22 minutes of autographs for which many people stood in line for 4+ hours, and “activities” that many couldn’t take part in….because they were in lines for autographs. Hello? McFly??? How about a “numbering” system? :cuss:

If you want autographs, hang out around the practice fields before and after practices. The “scheduled” signing sessions worked well too—for the specific groups of players who are scheduled anyway. If you want Priest, Green, or Gonzo’s signature…..you can get them, with patience and persistence....but, good luck.

I was there also for the autograph session Saturday night. That was crazy, by far the most people I've ever seen there for Family fun night. The web site said 3,000 people and I believe it.

I stood in line for 6 hours (2 outside the gate and then 4 specifically in the RB's line) to get Priests' auto on a jersey. I had 25 people in front of me waiting for Priest and Like I said I waited 6 hours. I was lucky enough to get him to sign with only 10 minutes left in the signing session.

I read on the UWR web site yesterday Priest signed for 150 yesterday morning after practice. I wish they would post who is gonna sign after each practice in advance.

I was there for just Saturday so I only saw 2 practices. But from what I saw and read from your analysis :clap: Good overview.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Could be....apparently they treat Priest okay though? :shrug:

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
That's the one where every seat is "first class", right? Warm cookies and such?

HemiEd
08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Great thread, thanks Mr. Kotter. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I was there also for the autograph session Saturday night. That was crazy, by far the most people I've ever seen there for Family fun night. The web site said 3,000 people and I believe it.

I stood in line for 6 hours (2 outside the gate and then 4 specifically in the RB's line) to get Priests' auto on a jersey. I had 25 people in front of me waiting for Priest and Like I said I waited 6 hours. I was lucky enough to get him to sign with only 10 minutes left in the signing session.

I read on the UWR web site yesterday Priest signed for 150 yesterday morning after practice. I wish they would post who is gonna sign after each practice in advance.

I was there for just Saturday so I only saw 2 practices. But from what I saw and read from your analysis :clap: Good overview.

Hell, Ramer Field supposedly seats 5,000....and it was over-flowing. That "Family Fun Night" though left a LOT of people upset; and rightfully so....some drove 4-8 hrs or more, for 20-25 minutes of actual signing....that's Bullcrap. A longer session (an hour?) and a numbering system would make it much better.

As for posting of times for particular players and autographs, I'd agree...and they DID post those on the Chief's website, by position group anyway. :hmmm:

Pants
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Could be....apparently they treat Priest okay though? :shrug:

I didn't say shit, I said THE shit, which means they are good. And yeah, ENDelt, that's the ones.

Awesome read, BTW, Kotter. Thanks.

KChiefs1
08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
I went to Luigi's Pizza at 11:15 Saturday & it was closed...the sign said it didn't open til 5pm. I wanted to meet up with you guys.... :banghead: :deevee:

We ended up eating at the West Wind with Boomer & his family though...so it was all good! :)

BTW...Boomer's family is awesome! Had breakfast with them everyday we were there at the Country Inn.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 01:30 PM
I didn't say shit, I said THE shit, which means they are good. And yeah, ENDelt, that's the ones.

Awesome read, BTW, Kotter. Thanks.

Gotcha. :)

dirk digler
08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I went to Luigi's Pizza at 11:15 Saturday & it was closed...the sign said it didn't open til 5pm. I wanted to meet up with you guys.... :banghead: :deevee:

We ended up eating at the West Wind with Boomer & his family though...so it was all good! :)

BTW...Boomer's family is awesome! Had breakfast with them everyday we were there at the Country Inn.

We were both there at 11:10 and stayed for 10 minutes or so. Oh well at least you meet Boomer which is probably cooler than meeting us. Then again.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Yeah, a LOT of the restaurants in River Falls are 5 pm-Close type establishments....WTF is with that? Must be a small town thing....

I swear though, man....Dirk and his lady, Me and my son & niece were STANDING in front of the door at Luigi's from 11:10-11:25....you must have looked right at us. Sorry we missed you; see you next time....maybe 37Forever weekend? :hmmm:

Boomer seems like a great guy, and I expect he will be a good player....my take was it won't be right away, at LB anyway. He's precisely the type we need on special teams though. :thumb:

bobbything
08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Any Trent Green sightings? I haven't heard one peep out of the talking heads on the radio, or in the newspaper, regarding how he looks. I know he's seen limited practice but was wondering if you saw much of him in person.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Any Trent Green sightings? I haven't heard one peep out of the talking heads on the radio, or in the newspaper, regarding how he looks. I know he's seen limited practice but was wondering if you saw much of him in person.

Saw him on the field...but he's skillful at evading fans to and from his living quarters. I suspect he stays with his family....and hops on the "bus" incognito.

I did run into some folks who bowled beside his wife and family on Saturday, AND saw them again (with Trent) for dinner at Pizza Hut--now THERE is an endorsement waitin' to happen.... :hmmm:

bobbything
08-09-2005, 01:41 PM
How about on the practice field? Any concerns with his sore arm?

dirk digler
08-09-2005, 01:43 PM

I think he only threw at 1 practice while I was there. There are really trying to limit his reps but when he did throw he looked good. Don't worry about Trent he will be just fine.

KChiefs1
08-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, a LOT of the restaurants in River Falls are 5 pm-Close type establishments....WTF is with that? Must be a small town thing....

I swear though, man....Dirk and his lady, Me and my son & niece were STANDING in front of the door at Luigi's from 11:10-11:25....you must have looked right at us. Sorry we missed you; see you next time....maybe 37Forever weekend? :hmmm:

Boomer seems like a great guy, and I expect he will be a good player....my take was it won't be right away, at LB anyway. He's precisely the type we need on special teams though. :thumb:

We sent my nephew up there to make sure it was open(blonde 12 year old boy wearing a Priest Holmes jersey) & he came back & said it was closed. I said are you sure? He went back & checked every door & said it's closed. Of course we didn't believe him & I went to check it out. Sign said 5pm-Midnight on it....I saw some people around but I didn't ask if they knew Mr Kotter or not. We were in a black GMC Suburban. Sorry I missed you guys too.... :banghead:

KChiefs1
08-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Saw him on the field...but he's skillful at evading fans to and from his living quarters. I suspect he stays with his family....and hops on the "bus" incognito.

I did run into some folks who bowled beside his wife and family on Saturday, AND saw them again (with Trent) for dinner at Pizza Hut--now THERE is an endorsement waitin' to happen.... :hmmm:

We caught up with a lot of the players at their dorm....we spotted Eddie Kennison in his Hummer, Greg Wesley in his Ranger Rover & Larry Johnson in his red Mercedes.

Dante Hall & Freddie Mitchell were playing pool at Bo's & Mine with a couple of fine looking ladies too. Sammy Knight was across the street & came across to sign my nephew's football...really nice guy.

Great time was had by all. :clap:

dirk digler
08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
We caught up with a lot of the players at their dorm....we spotted Eddie Kennison in his Hummer, Greg Wesley in his Ranger Rover & Larry Johnson in his red Mercedes.

Dante Hall & Freddie Mitchell were playing pool at Bo's & Mine with a couple of fine looking ladies too. Sammy Knight was across the street & came across to sign my nephew's football...really nice guy.

Great time was had by all. :clap:

Wesley has a sweet Range Rover but he can't parallel park worth shit. I bet it took him 5 minutes + to park.

|Zach|
08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up and insight SD, looked like a blast.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Wesley has a sweet Range Rover but he can't parallel park worth shit. I bet it took him 5 minutes + to park.

Yeah, I'd bet the turning radius on those suck....especially with those wheels he had pimpin' it out..... ROFL

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Some more pics too.

Tony...

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Wesley signing his John Hancock...

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Bell and DJ, LBs:

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Gun

|Zach|
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
great looking field.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Dick

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:48 PM
The kickers "practice" while the "O" and "D" knock heads 7-on-7 and 9-on-9, heh...

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
My son with his football he's gotten autographs for....Priest, Gonzo, and Shields, along with 18 others. He's pumped. :)

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:52 PM
great looking field.

Very nice facility. UWRF football team benefits from the Chief's presence, no doubt...

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Good lookin' kid. Ever find the father?

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Good lookin' kid. Ever find the father?

Looks alot like the Schwan's man....I'm gonna wait until college hits before trackin' his azz down though. :)

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
View from the stands, "Family Fun Night"

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Finally, a shot of Kris Wilson sneaking in behind coverage....I didn't get a shot of the TD....but he burned the "D" on that one....

|Zach|
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Those are sharp pictures...what kind of camera do you have?

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Those are sharp pictures...what kind of camera do you have?

It's a Sony CDMavica...an older one at that. But it allows you to zoom, edit, change megapixels, and alter the image after it's been captured.....as a "new" image. You also just pop out the mini-CD, and pop it in your computer disk drive once it's been "finalized." It works pretty good for an amatuer/lazy photographer like me.

The only drawbacks, it's larger than many digitals, and the delay in actually taking the pic is like 1 sec....so you have to anticipate "action" shots. I've heard the newer ones are better though.

|Zach|
08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
It's a Sony CDMavica...an older one at that. But it allows you to zoom, edit, change megapixels, and alter the image after it's been captured.....as a "new" image. You also just pop out the mini-CD, and pop it in your computer disk drive once it's been "finalized." It works pretty good for an amatuer/lazy photographer like me.

The only drawbacks, it's larger than many digitals, and the delay in actually taking the pic is like 1 sec....so you have to anticipate "action" shots. I've heard the newer ones are better though.Cool, I am hoping to save up some money and get some Sony digital cam\video camcroder hybrid camera. I think it will be good for parties.

StcChief
08-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Nice read. Rep your way

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Cool, I am hoping to save up some money and get some Sony digital cam\video camcroder hybrid camera. I think it will be good for parties.

Unless you have really big bucks, I think Sony's are kind of the industry standard....we've liked the Mavica and the camcorder we've had.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Nice read...

Thanks....just one man's take though.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Nonsense. I'm a pretty motherf*cker.Dang, you beat me to it.

Nzoner
08-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks,great read and pics.

Man,am I ready for some football!!!

Donger
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM

You know who you look like? That psycho killer from There's Something About Mary.

Donger
08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
You know who you look like? That psycho killer from There's Something About Mary.

See?

Frankie
08-09-2005, 05:27 PM
In fact the last drafted DT that was good was a linebacker!

dirk digler
08-09-2005, 05:28 PM
See?

ROFL

I don't think so. :cuss:

Alot of people think I look like David Attell with my hat off.

http://www.daveattell.com/images/headshot-small.jpg

Frankie
08-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Some more pics too.

Tony...
He's wearing white/white. Is that just a TC thing or are they going back to the white pants?

Frankie
08-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Gun
What's the wetness down his leg? :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 08:39 PM
See?

FTR, David looks NOTHING like "Woogie"....his lady did resemble Cameron Diaz though. :hmmm:

:)

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 08:40 PM
What's the wetness down his leg? :hmmm:

LBs that can stop the run AND cover the flats.....hell, I peed down my leg too. :D

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 08:41 PM
He's wearing white/white. Is that just a TC thing or are they going back to the white pants?

Offense was "white," Defense "red" that day...

Donger
08-09-2005, 08:43 PM
FTR, David looks NOTHING like "Woogie"....his lady did resemble Cameron Diaz though. :hmmm:

WTF? That's not Woogie. That's the hitchiker murderer guy.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 08:47 PM
WTF? That's not Woogie. That's the hitchiker murderer guy.

My bad; you are right. Woogie was psycho though....

milkman
08-09-2005, 08:57 PM
The team, defensively:

My first impression last year was, “well, they are playing against one of the best offenses in the league, so they’ll have a tough time…but seem okay” This year, it was a night and day difference. The Offense last year didn’t have to work hard for yards, and seemed to score at will…not this year. The Defense was aggressive, persistent, and more “spirited.” There were several scuffles (but nothing serious) that seemed to stem from the Offenses frustration with not having their way with the Defense. The LBs and Defensive backfield seemed markedly improved. Knight IS a leader, and brings the fire we lacked back there.

Wesley is playing like he did two-three years ago--he was punishing in coverage, and seems more focused. Knight is a presence there—a leader and a playmaker, although I must admit he seemed “slower” than the others, more like a LB—especially in run support. Woods actually looked really good too—even in coverage, although he might still get cut because of the money situation. Bartee actually looked comfortable and like he knew what he was doing, alongside a steady Harts. Surtain looked like the first “shutdown corner” I’ve seen in Red ‘n Gold in a long time—he seemed to be the only CB to consistently blanket WRs. McCleon, as DV has said, seems to be back in form—maybe there was something to the “injury” he played with last year. He wasn’t 5-7 yards off his man every play, as it seemed he was last year. Warfield looked good—but it was usually against second team players. Sapp could challenge for the nickel spot, as he was very impressive too. I liked Hodge and Perkin’s intensity, fire, and athletic ability, but they’re gonna need some time. The disappointment for me: Ambrose and Washington….neither showed me anything. Maybe they are adjusting to Gun’s scheme, but they better hurry.

The D-Line…as we have suspected, appears to be the weakness. Our O-Line, even the backups, out muscled and out hustled our D-Line most of the time. DV says Sims is ready for a big season? I didn’t see it. I hope I’m wrong. The only guy who looked fired-up and ready to go was Dalton. Browning was hurt, but can probably be counted on for solid if uninspiring play. Hall was MIA, WTF is with that? Even Allen seemed lethargic or just plain lazy. Hicks continued to take up space, but that’s about it. Saivii was apparently sick, lame, or lazy— was nowhere to be found (except on the sideline). Somebody better light a fire under these guys quick. Because of the improvements LB and in the Defensive backfield, they may be “okay,” but our defensive improvement this year won’t come from the line. A pick-up before the regular season would be wise.

There's another fan, a Chiefs Coalition regular, Former DB, who says that Sims has looked good.
Any idea why the two of you seem to be giving conflicting reports?

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 09:30 PM
There's another fan, a Chiefs Coalition regular, Former DB, who says that Sims has looked good.

I saw Sims have one out of five good practices....but in fairness, it was the 11-on-11, nearly full-effort practice. From my perspective he takes plays off too often; he is taken out by double teams way too easily....even when the guard scapes to a LBer. He just strikes me as "lazy" more often than not....you'd think with this being a contract year, that would light a fire under him. Maybe it will...

I just prefer "high motor" guys; Sims is more of a McGlockton type....all world on one play, then takes the rest of the series "off." I'd prefer a guy like Browning who isn't as physically talented but gives 100% the vast majority of the time. JMHO.

The Coalition guy may have seen the one practice...or maybe I reward consistent effort and tenacity more than an occaisional highlight play. I can't say....:shrug:

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I forgot to post this one...watchin' these guys, even, without pads....just about made me pee my pants....no more pansy azzed LB-ing corp....heh.

"Derrick, git that azz down boy!"

:drool:

stevieray
08-09-2005, 10:39 PM

I have to disagree with the bolded part. That wasn't happening in the drills I saw.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:47 PM
I have to disagree with the bolded part. That wasn't happening in the drills I saw.

Fair enough. Friday night, the DLine looked decent-to-good: it's the other drills and practices that have me concerned. Maybe I'm just comin' at it from a former coaches angle...and intensity, fire, and consistency mean a lot to me; and I just didn't see that from the DLine over the weekend.

I hope I'm wrong. :thumb:

stevieray
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Fair enough. Friday night, the DLine looked decent-to-good: it's the other drills and practices that have me concerned. Maybe I'm just comin' at it from a former coaches angle...and intensity, fire, and consistency mean a lot to me; and I just didn't see that from the DLine over the weekend.

interesting...I think the whole team showed enthusiasm and spirited practices. At least while I was there. There seems to be an urgency...I know that the offense has more than once told the defense to chilll...EK told me he could definitely tell they've improved..

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 10:57 PM
interesting...I think the whole team showed enthusiasm and spirited practices. There seems to be an urgency...I know that the offense has more than once told the defense to chilll...EK told me he could definitely tell they've improved..

I'd agree with you 100%....were it not for some of the crap I saw with the DLine. The LBs and DBs will be markedly improved. If Sims and Siavii have an "on-off" switch that works well, we will be a top ten defense....if not, we will be improved but middle of the pack--which should be good enough for a trip to the AFC Championship.

However, I want the whole enchilada.... :drool:

Manila-Chief
08-10-2005, 03:36 AM

Thanks Coach!!! That was fantastic info and made more authentic coming from a coach. It's pitful that we get better info from fellow members than we do from the Star!!! I guess I got spoiled by reading Ivan ... he seemed to report honest football info. I guess it is difficult for Eliz and her fellow reports since they have not played and know little about how the game is played.

I wish you could be around camp for the full time they are up there. Your insight is helpful!!!!

Manila-Chief
08-10-2005, 03:46 AM
We have alot in common, I take lousy pictures. I think I have only taken a couple of good ones I liked, ever........

Yeah, I agree with my Mother ... "I never take a good picture, they all look just like me!!!"

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks Coach!!! That was fantastic info and made more authentic coming from a coach. It's pitful that we get better info from fellow members than we do from the Star!!! I guess I got spoiled by reading Ivan ... he seemed to report honest football info. I guess it is difficult for Eliz and her fellow reports since they have not played and know little about how the game is played.

I wish you could be around camp for the full time they are up there. Your insight is helpful!!!!

Hey, now.....I'm no expert--not even close. I just played a few years, and coached HS freshman for 8 or 9 years. It's not quite the same, heh. But I appreciate the kind words. In the end though, I'm just another fan with my own opinions--rose colored glasses, and personal biases included. Hell, if I could somehow turn it into a paying gig....I'd do it in a heartbeat. As a teacher, I do have summers off.... :hmmm:

Seriously though, if I did....I might even lapse into some Journalistic style and form, like JoPo or Whitless. And we wouldn't want that.... :)

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Hey, now.....I'm no expert--not even close. I just played a few years, and coached HS freshman for 8 or 9 years. It's not quite the same, heh. But I appreciate the kind words. In the end though, I'm just another fan with my own opinions--rose colored glasses, and personal biases included. Hell, if I could somehow turn it into a paying gig....I'd do it in a heartbeat. As a teacher, I do have summers off.... :hmmm:

Seriously though, if I did....I might even lapse into some Journalistic style and form, like JoPo or Whitless. And we wouldn't want that.... :)

As god as my witness if you start referencing Gates BBQ and talking about old high school team mates in every post I am putting you on iggy.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 10:41 AM
As god as my witness if you start referencing Gates BBQ and talking about old high school team mates in every post I am putting you on iggy.

ROFL

For me, it would be Hayward's or White Castles (HS munchie food, heh), and Mellissa Ethridge (went to same HS as her) or Danny Manning (Spanish class at KU)..... :hmmm:

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 10:42 AM
ROFL

For me, it would be Hayward's or White Castles (HS munchie food, heh), and Mellissa Ethridge (went to same HS as her) or Danny Manny (Spanish class at KU)..... :hmmm:

Isn't Danny Manny working at white castle now?

go bowe
08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
ROFL

For me, it would be Hayward's or White Castles (HS munchie food, heh), and Mellissa Ethridge (went to same HS as her) or Danny Manny (Spanish class at KU)..... :hmmm:melissa etheridge????

now we know that you're teh ghey...

nttawwt...

go bowe
08-10-2005, 10:46 AM
who's danny manny?

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
melissa etheridge????

now we know that you're teh ghey...

nttawwt...

I have most of her albums, and think she's great....

Politics, for me, means little in terms of my likes/dislikes or gettin' along in real life with folks....politics is more a philosophical, abstract, fun-to-debate kinda thing....

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
who's danny manny?

Manning....eh, sorry. :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Isn't Danny Manny working at white castle now?

Close....it's Manning. He's on the bench next to Bill Self at KU. :)

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Close....it's Manning. He's on the bench next to Bill Self at KU. :)

I thought it was, but hey you're the teacher. Who am I to question your brilliance. That and I ran into a girl who went to your school and she said you hit pretty hard.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I thought it was, but hey you're the teacher. Who am I to question your brilliance. That and I ran into a girl who went to your school and she said you hit pretty hard.

Yeah, yeah....I can see I need to "talk" to her, again....heh.

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah, yeah....I can see I need to "talk" to her, again....heh.

ROFL

Wile_E_Coyote
08-10-2005, 11:31 AM
The offense seems to get off to a slow start. Do you think now that they have a defence to practice against, that will change?

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
The offense seems to get off to a slow start. Do you think now that they have a defense to practice against, that will change?

I do. How much? I don't know...if the "O" is sluggish to start the season this year, it won't be because of a lack of testing by the "D" :D