PDA

View Full Version : I Killed a Rattlesnake Last Night

vailpass
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Really. At my in-law's house. Mother-in-law yells out from the garden shed. I go back there, see a 30-inch Diamondback all coiled up on the warm concrete floor.
Garden shovel over my head, snake starts to rattle, whack whack whack whack
Cut the head off, body still trying to crawl. Put the tip of the shovel in the mouth of the cut off head, it strikes at the shovel and locks both fangs to inject. Severed head delivering a death bite.
Threw it all over the fence for the coyotes but kept the rattles, there are six beads.

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Where in the **** do you live?

vailpass
08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Where in the **** do you live?

Peoria, Arizona. On 3/4 acre lot. Lots of houses being built all around us. Middle of a suburb, not out in the desert.
Lots of rain this year=lots of rodents=lots of snakes.
Rattlers, brown scorpions, black widows, brown recluse are also here but I have only seen a couple of scorps, no bad spiders yet.
F*cking roaches as big as your hand AND THEY FLY.
Between that and the traffic, smog, no hablas englise, and pathetic educational system I'm starting to miss Iowa.

penguinz
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Poor snake.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Poor snake.

I have 6 year old, a 2 year old, and a 7 month old sons. Anyparent on this board will tell you that a choice between a snake's rights and the chance of your child being bitten by a venomous serpent is no choice at all.

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I hope there are not any PETA members on this board. Your ass will be grass, vailpass.

shakesthecat
08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
A buddy of mine hunts rattlers quite a bit.

I'll never forget seeing those things, coil up and try to strike almost 2 hours after it was skinned and gutted.

Not as funny as a chicken with its head cut off, but still pretty cool.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Not to be outdone................ROFL

i caught a opposum in the live trap,cant wait to put my dog on it.

geh geh geh geh goodtimes.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I hope there are not any PETA members on this board. Your ass will be grass, vailpass.

Your alliteration is cause for celebration across the nation. :)
(see my above post in response to the animal rights view)

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Your alliteration is cause for celebration across the nation. :)
(see my above post in response to the animal rights view)
I know, they are dipshits, IMHO.

BTW, thanks for the compliment.

Pennywise
08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Right on.

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 12:58 PM
The meat is good you should have kept it. Fry it in a little butter and garlic, good stuff.

On a seperate note but similar my dog got sprayed by that damn skunk again but this time he got a hold of it and shredded the fug out it. He was pretty damn proud of himself, stinks like a MO though.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 12:59 PM

ROFL

Pennywise
08-09-2005, 01:00 PM
The meat is good you should have kept it. Fry it in a little butter and garlic, good stuff.

On a seperate note but similar my dog got sprayed by that damn skunk again but this time he got a hold of it and shredded the fug out it. He was pretty damn proud of himself, stinks like a MO though.

I'd eat shredded skunk ass first.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:01 PM

By the time I got done with him he was inside out, undigested grain and partial mouse exposed.
Glad to hear your dog came out on top. We used to have to give tomato juice baths when my grandma's pups came home full of spray.

KC Kings
08-09-2005, 01:02 PM

Be careful with the live traps. I set one at my Grandmothers house in Warsaw to get rid of the groundhounds that were borrowing under her house, only to find out the hard way that groundhogs turned out to be skunks. We ended up getting 7 of them in the next three months around her house and barn, and found the only affective way to take care of them was to use a small game bear style trap, let them suffer until the weekend, then blow them out of the trap with 3 1/2" turkey mags. A little mess that way, but not much stink.

On a side note we saw two bobcats in Grandview the other night, about a half mile west of the longview beach and hiking trails.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2005, 01:02 PM
stinks like a MO though..

:mad:hey hey hey FUGGER!!!!!

Pennywise
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM

That was a geh geh geh good one.

Hog Farmer
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I've killed three this year. I lke to use a shotgun at point blank range. It removes the head quite nicely.

penguinz
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I have 6 year old, a 2 year old, and a 7 month old sons. Anyparent on this board will tell you that a choice between a snake's rights and the chance of your child being bitten by a venomous serpent is no choice at all.If you are in a situation where you have no choice then of course kill it to protect your kids. Otherwise trap it (or have someone else trap it) and relocate it someplace else.

Cannibal
08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Did you call it a "person of Hispanic heritage" before you hit it?

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
I've killed three this year. I lke to use a shotgun at point blank range. It removes the head quite nicely.

I hear ya'. If this one hadn't been inside the garden shed (6' x 6' with a concrete floor) I'd have used my .45 with rattlesnake loads.
No need to get any closer to those b@stards than necessary.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
If you are in a situation where you have no choice then of course kill it to protect your kids. Otherwise trap it (or have someone else trap it) and relocate it someplace else.

It's coiled there now. In one minute it could slither away to safety. Now where is it? Where can my kids safely play?
No time to trap (how the hell do you trap a snake?) No desire to let it live to bite another day.
Eliminate now while you have the chance.
No time for anything else.

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 01:13 PM

ROFL I got him cleaned up pretty good with that skunk order remover but it doesn't get rid of all the smell. He had blood all over him too. Little fugger was pretty proud of himself though trotting around the yard like a friggin Clydesdale or something.

jidar1
08-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Kill it. who the hell relocates rattlesnakes? sheesh.

penguinz
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
It's coiled there now. In one minute it could slither away to safety. Now where is it? Where can my kids safely play?
No time to trap (how the hell do you trap a snake?) No desire to let it live to bite another day.
Eliminate now while you have the chance.
No time for anything else.There you go. You did not have any other choice. All I was saying is that if you are in a situation that you do not have to kill it then don't.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Be careful with the live traps. I set one at my Grandmothers house in Warsaw to get rid of the groundhounds that were borrowing under her house, only to find out the hard way that groundhogs turned out to be skunks.

been there, done that, i just let em starve.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Little fugger was pretty proud of himself though trotting around the yard like a friggin Clydesdale of something.

the strut.:)

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
The only situation I'll ever be in where I'm close enough to a rattlesnake to kill it, but don't have to, is when he's inside some sort of glass aquarium at a nature exhibit.

penguinz
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
The only situation I'll ever be in where I'm close enough to a rattlesnake to kill it, but don't have to, is when he's inside some sort of glass aquarium at a nature exhibit.
pussy :p

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
There you go. You did not have any other choice. All I was saying is that if you are in a situation that you do not have to kill it then don't.

You have gotta be kidding me what are you some PETA freak? They make good eats too. Skin em, gut em, fry em in a little butter and garlic. It only takes a few minutes.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
There you go. You did not have any other choice. All I was saying is that if you are in a situation that you do not have to kill it then don't.

Cool. I respect your point of view. We suspect that snake was the cause of three of their pet rabbits deaths (outdoor pets in an enclosed pen) within the last two weeks so maybe this was an act of animal kindness?

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
You have gotta be kidding me what are you some PETA freak? They make good eats too. Skin em, gut em, fry em in a little butter and garlic. It only takes a few minutes.
He likes penguins, so go figure.

penguinz
08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Nope. Not PETA freak. I love to fish and hunt but I do not kill an animal just to kill an animal.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:25 PM

Dude, that is not necessarily true. There are snakes and scorps in Snottsdale too.
If you ever hike Camelback, tube the Salt, go quad or sand-rail riding you might just see a rattler. Nowhere in PHX is immune.

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Dude, that is not necessarily true. There are snakes and scorps in Snottsdale too.

And if I see one, I'll kill it.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
And if I see one, I'll kill it.

Hell yeah. When I lived in Scotts our big problem was black widows uner our diving board. Couldn't get rid of 'em no matter what.

penguinz
08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Cool. I respect your point of view. We suspect that snake was the cause of three of their pet rabbits deaths withinthe last two weeks somaybe this was an act of animal kindness?
:)

I remember a few years ago my wife and I were walking some trails at a local nature park. She almost stepped on a copperhead. Luckily it did not strike. I do not know what scared her more... the fact that she could have been bitten when she almost stepped on it or that I could have been bitten when I moved it off the path into the brush.

Iowanian
08-09-2005, 01:28 PM
blowfish will be along at anytime to call your congressman, you animal murdering barbarian.

Don't you know....SNAKES ARE PEOPLE TOO!

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
blowfish will be along at anytime to call your congressman, you animal murdering barbarian.

Should we give 'em a shower with Old Spice body wash?

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Hell yeah. When I lived in Scotts our big problem was black widows uner our diving board. Couldn't get rid of 'em no matter what.
Shitty. I once saw a coyote crossing the street in the middle of Old Town. I didn't kill it or anything... just looked at it and thought, "Holy smokes... didn't expect to see that here."

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:32 PM

:LOL:
Wish I'd have had a chance to try out the snake loads I bought for my pistol. But beating it to death with my hands was primally satisfying as well.

Iowanian
08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Should we give 'em a shower with Old Spice body wash?

Like you've never done somethign stupid too, coward. be a man. stop challenging me genious.

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Shitty. I once saw a coyote crossing the street in the middle of Old Town. I didn't kill it or anything... just looked at it and thought, "Holy smokes... didn't expect to see that here."

Cool. Coyotes are jsut trying to figure out where the hell all the people and buildings came from on the land they've been roaming for the last 500 years.

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
"Holy smokes... didn't expect to see that here."
Somehow, I just cannot picture you saying that.....................

More like,

"Holy shit!.....WTF is that doing in this goddamn part of the woods" (Taking another sip of beer)

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Like you've never done somethign stupid too, coward. be a man. stop challenging me genious.

\Jimi Hendrix "It's just like Cross-Thread traffic" /Jimi Hendirx

Goapics1
08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
ROFL

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Somehow, I just cannot picture you saying that.....................

More like,

"Holy shit!.....WTF is that doing in this goddamn part of the woods" (Taking another sip of beer)
If I saw a coyote in the woods, I'd just think, "Hey, a coyote."

vailpass
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
If I saw a coyote in the woods, I'd just think, "Hey, a coyote."

For those not familiar with the AZ:

Old Town may sound like it's in the sticks but it's in the middle of Beverly Hills East.

HemiEd
08-09-2005, 01:46 PM
On a seperate note but similar my dog got sprayed by that damn skunk again

My dog got it again last Tuesday night, third time. I came home toasted from a business dinner and let him out. I was up until 2 in the morning cleaning him up. It was very inconvenient, I had planned on crashing.

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
My dog got it again last Tuesday night, third time. I came home toasted from a business dinner and let him out. I was up until 2 in the morning cleaning him up. It was very inconvenient, I had planned on crashing.

That's exactly what happened to me the first time at 2AM. :cuss:

Wish he had killed that fugger then.

HemiEd
08-09-2005, 02:15 PM
That's exactly what happened to me the first time at 2AM. :cuss:

Wish he had killed that fugger then.

Our stupid village has no animal control. They spend all of the tax money on monuments and fireworks. That fat fugging bitch (about 5 foot, 400 lbs) we have for a village president should have her dog skunked a couple of times. :cuss:

I am not sure my dog would come out on top in a battle with a skunk, he only weighs 17 lbs. But he is territorial as hell, wish he would learn to leave them things alone.

KChiefsQT
08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
I hate rattlesnakes. When I went down to Texas a few weeks ago I was the only girl at the Ranch with a bunch of guys. They were all warning me about snakes and watch out for them..blah blah blah... meanwhile I'm wearing flip-flops and watching my every step. We're walking along and all the sudden I scream bloody murder and jump on my bf. There it was.... a rattler. To make a long story short.,..they shot the snake a few times in the head and took it home. But...the ****er was huggge... after all was said and done... he measured in just over six feet. Never been so scared in my life.

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Our stupid village has no animal control. They spend all of the tax money on monuments and fireworks. That fat fugging bitch (about 5 foot, 400 lbs) we have for a village president should have her dog skunked a couple of times. :cuss:

I am not sure my dog would come out on top in a battle with a skunk, he only weighs 17 lbs. But he is territorial as hell, wish he would learn to leave them things alone.

makes for easy washin. :)

Pick up some of that Natures Miracle Skunk Order Remover it works pretty good.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Peoria, Arizona. On 3/4 acre lot. Lots of houses being built all around us. Middle of a suburb, not out in the desert.
Lots of rain this year=lots of rodents=lots of snakes.
Rattlers, brown scorpions, black widows, brown recluse are also here but I have only seen a couple of scorps, no bad spiders yet.
F*cking roaches as big as your hand AND THEY FLY.
Between that and the traffic, smog, no hablas englise, and pathetic educational system I'm starting to miss Iowa.Rodents and snakes go together, kind of like, bacon and eggs. ;)

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
I know you all will think I am crazy but me an a couple friends had 13 rattlesnakes we raised as pets and handled when I was a kid. I finally got bit a couple times by different snakes later on in life and never had the stomach to try it again although I may some day.

HemiEd
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
makes for easy washin. :)

Pick up some of that Natures Miracle Skunk Order Remover it works pretty good.

Thanks, I had read your last thread about this and had picked some up. :thumb: They seem to be at their worst this time of year. Fortunatly, the smell has finally left the house.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I hope there are not any PETA members on this board. Your ass will be grass, vailpass.If there are any PETA members on this board, I would like to take this opportunity to reccomend a good mental therapist.

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I know you all will think I am crazy

Sheeeeeiit. We've known that about you for years.

KChiefsQT
08-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I know you all will think I am crazy but me an a couple friends had 13 rattlesnakes we raised as pets and handled when I was a kid. I finally got bit a couple times by different snakes later on in life and never had the stomach to try it again although I may some day.
Rattlesnakes as pets. You are crazy!!!!

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Rattlesnakes as pets. You are crazy!!!!

They were Western Diamondbacks. Looking back on it I wish we had taken pictures. Snakes are just like people in the sense that some are really aggressive and some are not. Some of them won't even rattle if you move slow and pick them up with a stick you can handle them right there. If you are going to raise one as a pet that's the one you want. Put it in a pillow case and throw it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. They are cold blooded so they can barely move when you pull them out. They relate to your hands as warmth wich is a good thing. Repeat 3 or 4 times over the next week and you will have a good pet. I used to wrap my favorite around the mirror in my pickup and drive him around, people thought I was wacked. The authorities confiscated that snake from me in Colorado Springs.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Kill it. who the hell relocates rattlesnakes? sheesh.Oh yeah, well I have a customer who bought a no kill mouse trap, which is intended for you to drown them after they are caught, so that she could trap and release the mice somewhere else.

I sold it to her too. lmao.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
You have gotta be kidding me what are you some PETA freak? They make good eats too. Skin em, gut em, fry em in a little butter and garlic. It only takes a few minutes.Isn't it "have a PETA for dinner" week?

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Nope. Not PETA freak. I love to fish and hunt but I do not kill an animal just to kill an animal.I don't think that he did. He killed it because it was getting in his fuggin way.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Should we give 'em a shower with Old Spice body wash?Only if you can find their pee pee.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Cool. Coyotes are jsut trying to figure out where the hell all the people and buildings came from on the land they've been roaming for the last 500 years.Have you ever talked to one? You know, to gain an insight into its feelings?

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 03:14 PM
They were Western Diamondbacks. Looking back on it I wish we had taken pictures. Snakes are just like people in the sense that some are really aggressive and some are not. Some of them won't even rattle if you move slow and pick them up with a stick you can handle them right there. If you are going to raise one as a pet that's the one you want. Put it in a pillow case and throw it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. They are cold blooded so they can barely move when you pull them out. They relate to your hands as warmth wich is a good thing. Repeat 3 or 4 times over the next week and you will have a good pet. I used to wrap my favorite around the mirror in my pickup and drive him around, people thought I was wacked. The authorities confiscated that snake from me in Colorado Springs.What do you mean THOUGHT?

BIG_DADDY
08-09-2005, 04:54 PM
What do you mean THOUGHT?

Funny thing was when the cops pulled me over in Colorado Springs and decided they wanted to search my car. "What's in the bag" he asked me. "A rattlesnake" I told him, "he's my pet. "Yea right" was his response thinking that I had drugs in there or wanted to hide something from him. He opened it up and almost got bit and got really mad at me for some reason telling me I had just endangered the life of a peace officer. I was like I told you it was in there and you opened it anyway how are you going to charge me with that? They just ended up confiscating it from me. I had to grab him and put him back in the bag though, they were just shaking their heads. I thought they were going to arrest me just for having it but they let me go.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Funny thing was when the cops pulled me over in Colorado Springs and decided they wanted to search my car. "What's in the bag" he asked me. "A rattlesnake" I told him, "he's my pet. "Yea right" was his response thinking that I had drugs in there or wanted to hide something from him. He opened it up and almost got bit and got really mad at me for some reason telling me I had just endangered the life of a peace officer. I was like I told you it was in there and you opened it anyway how are you going to charge me with that? They just ended up confiscating it from me. I had to grab him and put him back in the bag though, they were just shaking their heads. I thought they were going to arrest me just for having it but they let me go.Knowing you Big D, you probably got down with the snakes, just so's you could pull that stunt on the Cops, lmao.