PDA

View Full Version : Football Conditioning

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Here locally, we are in the midst of a heat wave, something like 3 consecutive weeks of 98+ temperatures with the hottest time of the day between 4 and 6 p.m.

My part time employee is on the HS football team and they have practice scheduled for 3:30. Couldn't they just work them at 8:00 a.m. and get the same conditioning results, with far less health risks from the extreme heat?

It seems kind of dumb to ass kick a mule in the sweltering heat, I honestly don't see any health benefit to it as long as the same workouts could be performed in the morning when the temp is more reasonable?

Your thoughts and comments on this please?

Coach
08-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Here locally, we are in the midst of a heat wave, something like 3 consecutive weeks of 98+ temperatures with the hottest time of the day between 4 and 6 p.m.

My part time employee is on the HS football team and they have practice scheduled for 3:30. Couldn't they just work them at 8:00 a.m. and get the same conditioning results, with far less health risks from the extreme heat?

It seems kind of dumb to ass kick a mule in the sweltering heat, I honestly don't see any health benefit to it as long as the same workouts could be performed in the morning when the temp is more reasonable?

Your thoughts and comments on this please?

Well, the first question is, is your part-time employee attending school as of this moment? (Some schools have started this week, and some others next week) If he isn't attending school, then most likely they are doing 2-a-days. 1 Being from somewhere between 6 to 8 in the morning, and the other from 3-5:30 or so in the afternoon. Also, if I am not mistaken, there are some HS rules about players cannot wear full pads, but helmets are allowed.

The way we do during our practices are that we do the majority of the conditioning in the mornings, but an occasional conditioning in the afternoon during the first week or so. Then we shift the conditioning drills to the afternoons as the school week approaches. Also, we try to get them used to running hard in the afternoons, as well, since some of the games are played at night, but it still gets pretty warm during the nights, in September.

Katipan
08-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative. I gather people from different parts of the country would have different tolerances, but 98 isn't all that hot.

I mean so long as he stays hydrated it's not like "extreme heat"...

KC Dan
08-09-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative. I gather people from different parts of the country would have different tolerances, but 98 isn't all that hot.

I mean so long as he stays hydrated it's not like "extreme heat"...
Your Location: "Location: Scottsdale, AZ"

Yeah, you can speak for no one. It's 98 when you go to bed
:banghead:

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 06:40 PM

I mean so long as he stays hydrated it's not like "extreme heat"...98 is the lowest temp that it has been here in the past 20 days. I realize you are from Scotsdale, but...:p

I have his schedule right here so we don't have any conflicts, there are no 2 a days going on right now.

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Well, the first question is, is your part-time employee attending school as of this moment? (Some schools have started this week, and some others next week) If he isn't attending school, then most likely they are doing 2-a-days. 1 Being from somewhere between 6 to 8 in the morning, and the other from 3-5:30 or so in the afternoon. Also, if I am not mistaken, there are some HS rules about players cannot wear full pads, but helmets are allowed.

The way we do during our practices are that we do the majority of the conditioning in the mornings, but an occasional conditioning in the afternoon during the first week or so. Then we shift the conditioning drills to the afternoons as the school week approaches. Also, we try to get them used to running hard in the afternoons, as well, since some of the games are played at night, but it still gets pretty warm during the nights, in September.I had my guy working out playing pick up basketball 4 nights a week for 1 hour + per night all off season, plus weight lifting.

When his practices started, he hit the ground running and was in good off season shape.

Had he worked out with more intensity, and laid off of the girl friend a little more, I could have had him reporting with about 10 more pounds of lean mass than he had going in. But its his career, so I can't lift the weights for him, I can't put the spoon to his mouth.

Overall, I would give him a B- for his off season work ethic as far as keeping himself in shape for this season.

Skip Towne
08-09-2005, 06:49 PM
My techs are just squealing about this 98 heat day after day. They are drenched in sweat by 10 AM. I won't schedule anything for myself past noon.

Katipan
08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
98 is the lowest temp that it has been here in the past 20 days. I realize you are from Scotsdale, but...:p

i didn't realize that was the coolest it's been. i thought that was the hottest. :doh!:

sowwy

DanT
08-09-2005, 07:00 PM
My first year of high-school football was in 1980 and in Kansas City, which meant that we had two-a-days in that famously horrible summer (see, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_Wave_of_1980 and
http://www.kcmo.org/health.nsf/web/heat?opendocument) We did our harder practice in the morning, took some time off for lunch and rest and then had a lighter (but still arduous) practice in the afternoon. A big component of the two-a-days was to weed out people who couldn't handle the situation. Purely from a conditioning standpoint, though, it seems to me that you're much better off getting your conditioning done in the morning, especially the aerobic stuff.

Of course, there are other considerations when it comes to coordinating folks' schedules than just when is the optimal time to practice from a conditioning standpoint.

The weather out here in Northern California is just ridiculously better than in the Midwest. I live near Sacramento, which is in the Central Valley and which has very hot summertime daily highs (we've been 96+ the past 7 days, with 4 days 100+), but it still gets way below 80 every night and the morning temps are far more conducive to aerobic conditioning than that hellish Kansas City stuff. According to weather.com our highest daily low the past 7 days was 66 degrees.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/yesterday.html?locid=95616&from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Calcountry
08-09-2005, 07:15 PM
My first year of high-school football was in 1980 and in Kansas City, which meant that we had two-a-days in that famously horrible summer (see, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_Wave_of_1980 and
http://www.kcmo.org/health.nsf/web/heat?opendocument) We did our harder practice in the morning, took some time off for lunch and rest and then had a lighter (but still arduous) practice in the afternoon. A big component of the two-a-days was to weed out people who couldn't handle the situation. Purely from a conditioning standpoint, though, it seems to me that you're much better off getting your conditioning done in the morning, especially the aerobic stuff.

Of course, there are other considerations when it comes to coordinating folks' schedules than just when is the optimal time to practice from a conditioning standpoint.

The weather out here in Northern California is just ridiculously better than in the Midwest. I live near Sacramento, which is in the Central Valley and which has very hot summertime daily highs (we've been 96+ the past 7 days, with 4 days 100+), but it still gets way below 80 every night and the morning temps are far more conducive to aerobic conditioning than that hellish Kansas City stuff. According to weather.com our highest daily low the past 7 days was 66 degrees.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/yesterday.html?locid=95616&from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Yes, at least we don't have the humidity. Once, while visiting my kin folk in Bonner spgs Ks, I swatted at a presumed fly while waiting in the early morning shade for some reason. It was no fly, but a bead of sweatt.

To many of us out here in Cal, it is incomprehensible how you put up with that mugginess.