PDA

View Full Version : Junior Siavii

Deberg_1990
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
So whats up with this guy? Ive barely heard a whisper about him. Is he like 3rd on the depth chart now? Is this guy turning into another classic 2nd round winner for Carl?? Anybody heard or seen anything?

Ninjaman
08-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Had a 'good' practice today. If you can find thread the practice thread for today, you'll see it mentioned.

NaptownChief
08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Junior Siavii is Swahili for Eddie Freeman.

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 07:13 PM

quality

shaneo69
08-09-2005, 07:13 PM

No way. Junior's the next Saleaumua. Because, after all, they're both Samoan, you know?

go bowe
08-09-2005, 07:19 PM
No way. Junior's the next Saleaumua. Because, after all, they're both Samoan, you know?my wife is samoan too...

too bad she can't play corner back to start the season while warfield i out...

actually, you're right, junior is no danny saleamua and probably never will be...

morphius
08-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Hmmm, and here I thought Siavii was Samoan for sore.

I think he was injured there for a few days, so you don't hear much about him. Heard some good things early in camp, then he disappeared back to claim his sport on the sideline.

NaptownChief
08-09-2005, 07:24 PM
That probably wasn't fair to Eddie Freeman...While he was a high second round DT bust he by all accounts worked hard....

Siavii smells a bit more like Eric The Road Grader Downing. A big fat lug that didn't produce in college yet somehow Peterson and staff thought they could get them to produce miraculously in the NFL.

morphius
08-09-2005, 07:27 PM
That probably wasn't fair to Eddie Freeman...While he was a high second round DT bust he by all accounts worked hard....

Siavii smells a bit more like Eric The Road Grader Downing. A big fat lug that didn't produce in college yet somehow Peterson and staff thought they could get them to produce miraculously in the NFL.
Well, he was a Greg Robinson, "just plug a gap and don't get any penetration" guy.

shaneo69
08-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Didn't produce in college??? What are you talking about? He was defensive MVP of Oregon's bowl game against Minnesota after all. That was the only film the Chiefs scouts had to watch to know that he was gonna be a superstar.

NaptownChief
08-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Didn't produce in college??? What are you talking about? He was defensive MVP of Oregon's bowl game against Minnesota after all. That was the only film the Chiefs scouts had to watch to know that he was gonna be a superstar.

Probably the only film on the kid as I think that was the first time he got on the field in his college career. :D

Logical
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
It looks as if the tide is turning, apparently my initial feelings are now gaining support?

Deberg_1990
08-09-2005, 07:40 PM
It looks as if the tide is turning, apparently my initial feelings are now gaining support?

is it time for a DAMNIT CARL yet??

Logical
08-09-2005, 07:41 PM
is it time for a DAMNIT CARL yet??Not from me, Carl has had a good offseason this year. Almost makes up for last year, almost.

Count Zarth
08-09-2005, 07:45 PM
The sky is falling chicken littles.

Give Junior time.

Deberg_1990
08-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Not from me, Carl has had a good offseason this year. Almost makes up for last year, almost.

DAMNIT CARL!! Saivii was projected a mid 4th rounder!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/30689.html

We could have had Kerry Kolbert!

morphius
08-09-2005, 07:47 PM
I didn't doubt LJ because of his first year here, I'm not going to hold Siavii to higher standards then that.

FRCDFED
08-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Posted on Tue, Aug. 09, 2005

Interior D key for KC
Line coach looking for some tough guys
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — Ryan Sims isn’t talking. He walks off the practice field, dripping from the Wisconsin heat and a quarterback sack. At least three times Monday, someone on the Chiefs’ coaching staff showered Sims with praise. Now Sims needs a shower. And he isn’t saying a thing.

“I’ll talk to you all during the season,” Sims said.

Bob Karmelowicz is talking. He’s sitting in a comfortable chair Monday in the Rodli Commons, chatting about his defensive line. The Chiefs went shopping in the offseason to fix the defense, but none of the moves involved an interior lineman. Karmelowicz says that’s OK, because they spent two high draft picks on line help in the last four years.

Remember the draft picks? Junior Siavii was a second-rounder in 2004. He’s missed most of camp because of tendinitis in both knees. Sims was the No. 6 overall pick in 2002. After three long years, he’s making progress.

In a three-play sequence Monday, Sims shed his blocker and rushed the quarterback, recorded a sack, then jawed at offensive lineman John Welbourn before the potential scuffle was quickly broken up.

Karmelowicz says Sims is maturing. Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters says Sims has been explosive.

“But the thing about Ryan and everybody else is that this is training camp, and it’s early,” Waters said. “This is a long season, and we need guys to be consistent. I think Ryan realizes that as well as the other guys on defense.”

Sims started on a not-so-good note in 2002, when he was a training-camp holdout and then dislocated his left elbow. He played only six games that season. Sims followed with his best season in 2003, recording 83 tackles and three sacks. He had just 30 tackles and two sacks last season.

Football, Karmelowicz says, was always important to Sims. But now it’s a profession and not a fantasy. Sims spent extra time in the offseason working on his weaknesses. He did it, apparently, with no special prompting from the coaching staff.

“I think Ryan’s finally figured out that it’s nice to be a high draft pick, it’s nice to have a lot of money,” Karmelowicz said. “But what are you really doing? This is your profession, this is what defines you as a person professionally.

“Ryan, to a certain degree, has matured some since the beginning. And people are always going to be overcritical of someone who makes a lot of money who’s not an instant fabulous person. But like any kind of profession or any kind of growth process, it takes time. It’s just the more money you get, the less patience they have.”

The Chiefs say it takes three years for the average rookie defensive lineman to figure things out. And then there are some exceptions. Arrion Dixon, a rookie free agent, has been impressive enough in camp that he’s had some spot action with the No. 1 defense.

Dixon doesn’t completely know what he’s doing, but he’s exhibited the one quality that Karmelowicz looks for the most in rookies: toughness. Rookies receive more blows than they give in training camp, and Dixon hasn’t shied away, Karmelowicz says.

Neither has third-year tackle Montique Sharpe. Both have moved ahead of Siavii, who watched workouts again Monday.

“It’s a concern of mine,” Karmelowicz said. “You only have a short window. Junior is a young guy who hasn’t really been tested much. He was hurt a lot his rookie year. For him to miss again … sure, it gets to be a concern. Because there are a couple of young guys who are a year younger than him who haven’t missed and are really ahead of him right now.”

Starting tackle Lional Dalton says he’s rooting for Dixon because Dalton, too, was once a rookie free agent. When the Chiefs didn’t acquire any interior linemen, Dalton took it as a sign that they were doing OK. But there is always room for improvement.

Karmelowicz is making subtle technique changes, preaching for them to use their helmets more on tackles.

“We need tough guys,” Karmelowicz said. “We encourage dysfunctional behavior. We were 7-9 last year, right? So nobody was tough enough.”

shakesthecat
08-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I didn't doubt LJ because of his first year here, I'm not going to hold Siavii to higher standards then that.

C'mon morph,
You've been around here long enough to know crazy talk like that won't fly around here.

sheeehsh

Chiefnj
08-09-2005, 08:03 PM
He is/was a huge project. He'd be a project in his 2nd year had he played and not been hurt his first year. His injuries just keep delaying his development. Hopefully he'll be able to stay healthy and get some reps in; it's the only way he's going to learn.

morphius
08-09-2005, 08:13 PM
C'mon morph,
You've been around here long enough to know crazy talk like that won't fly around here.

sheeehsh
I know, I know. I need to learn how to run around squealing like a girl with my arms flailing around in panic like the rest of the club.