PDA

View Full Version : Chargers news:Edwards on crutches

Nzoner
08-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Thought this was worth posting and keeping an eye on.

But a despondent Edwards seemed to scoff at the idea he would play. He had remained on the ground for several minutes after suffering the injury, then limped more than 100 yards from the far practice field to the training room. But about an hour later he sat in front of his locker, a pair of crutches at his feet. (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20050809-9999-1s9chargers.html)

"I can't walk," he said.

Edwards has missed only two regular-season games in his nine NFL seasons and has started 105 straight since last sitting out in October 1998 with Kansas City. He said the team's medical staff which is not permitted to speak with the media had not given him any specifics.

"They didn't tell me anything yet," he said. "I don't know what to say, man. Damn."

KC Dan
08-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Here's the whole story:

Top pick Merriman vows to be in lineup

August 9, 2005

The Chargers did a relatively good job, especially by their standards, of getting their two No. 1 draft picks to training camp on time, but yesterday they must have wondered why.

It was three days before their first exhibition game, and their two prized rookies, linebacker Shawne Merriman and defensive lineman Luis Castillo, were working off to the side of the team's practice fields, tossing around medicine balls.

"Here we are, 1A and 1B, and we're not doing anything but watching," Castillo said with a laugh.

Castillo would return to practice in the afternoon, but an even bigger name soon would join the ranks of the injured. Linebacker Donnie Edwards suffered a sprained right ankle when he got tangled up with LaDainian Tomlinson at the conclusion of a pass play.

The severity of the injury was not immediately known, with coach Marty Schottenheimer saying his star linebacker would play in Thursday's exhibition opener at Green Bay.

"He's plastic, man," Schottenheimer said. "He bends but doesn't break. Donnie will play on Thursday. Come on, it's on national TV."

But a despondent Edwards seemed to scoff at the idea he would play. He had remained on the ground for several minutes after suffering the injury, then limped more than 100 yards from the far practice field to the training room. But about an hour later he sat in front of his locker, a pair of crutches at his feet.

"I can't walk," he said.

Edwards has missed only two regular-season games in his nine NFL seasons and has started 105 straight since last sitting out in October 1998 with Kansas City. He said the team's medical staff which is not permitted to speak with the media had not given him any specifics.

"They didn't tell me anything yet," he said. "I don't know what to say, man. Damn."

There also seemed to be a question yesterday regarding not only the status of Merriman, but also whether he was bothered more by an injury to his left big toe or his hamstring.

Schottenheimer said Merriman had a mild hamstring strain and rated the rookie's chances of participating as "questionable to doubtful." Merriman said his toe was more of a problem than his hamstring and that he would play.

This much we know: Merriman injured his big toe one week ago tonight when someone stepped on his left foot during his first practice with the club. Merriman said he expected to have the toenail removed last night.

"The toenail is like a paper cut," Merriman said. "It hurts like hell."

Merriman also hurt his hamstring Tuesday night but said it was more like a cramp. He said if necessary he would lobby Schottenheimer to play.

"I'll be in here all day; I'll call him on the phone all hours of the night," he said. "I'll play."

A player missing the first exhibition game normally wouldn't be of more than passing interest, but Merriman's case is somewhat different. He took the unusual step of not participating in any of the Chargers' offseason coaching sessions or minicamps, then missed the first week of training camp. He has participated in only seven practices.

"The fact that he is going to miss more time, that's the problem," Schottenheimer said. "It all accumulates. But he's made good progress when he was out here. That's encouraging. He seems to have an ability to understand the thing."

Castillo, who hurt his right ankle late last week and dropped a suitcase on his toe Sunday, was questioning his decision to resume practicing.

"Maybe I shouldn't have," he said. "It had gotten a little bit better; now it's really sore. We'll see tomorrow."
Still off limits
Schottenheimer's policy of not allowing assistant coaches to speak about the team will continue despite a recent directive from NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. A Chargers spokesman confirmed a New York Times report that head coaches were "strongly encouraged" by Tagliabue "to make assistant coaches, especially veteran assistant coaches, available" to the media, but said Schottenheimer would not change his mind.
Nuts 'n' Bolts
In addition to Merriman, other players who missed both practices were tight end Ryan Krause (foot), wide receiver Malcom Floyd (calf), tackle Courtney VanBuren (knee) and linebackers Marques Harris (back) and Ben Leber (foot).

Schottenheimer said Drew Brees probably will play the first quarter of Thursday's game, with Philip Rivers getting the next two. Cleo Lemon and possibly Craig Ochs will play the fourth quarter.

It's "not likely" Tomlinson will play, Schottenheimer said. No surprise there the All-Pro running back has only 13 carries in exhibition games during his four-year NFL career.

Rain Man
08-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Castillo, who hurt his right ankle late last week and dropped a suitcase on his toe Sunday, was questioning his decision to resume practicing.

Heh-heh. Dummy.

Nzoner
08-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Here's the whole story:

Thanks,got called to dinner and didn't want the mrs anymore upset than she has been.