PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Quote

nbkc fan
08-09-2005, 08:31 PM
from interview at chiefscoalition:

BOOMER: Gun said he needs four starters. That's the only thing he talks about when it comes to numbers. He says he needs four starting linebackers. He needs three who can play and one who can do whatever.

nbkc fan
08-09-2005, 08:32 PM
entire interview

BOOMER GRIGSBY INTERVIEW

DB: Is it everything you expected so far?

BOOMER: I think it is. I expected it to be tedious and long days, and a lot to learn. I knew everyone would be fast and be strong. The biggest adjustments, OTA's, minicamp, people are learning hard. But now we have ways we hit on certain plays, and we weren't in pads in minicamp, so that's taking some adjustments now, to play with the right leverage.

DB: So there are various techniques to tackling.

BOOMER: Of course there are various techniques to tackling, but moreso shedding blocks. In college I could run around and push people around. I might be able to even one-arm and push a guy away from me because I was so strong, but in the NFL, they have such superior athletes and they're taught to run their feet a certain way and latch onto you. They're trying to teach me to attack with my face, hit with the screws of my helmet, and shock the opponent so I can shed the block and make the tackle. It's just a hard transition for me from the last four years, where they taught me to jump around and get out the way, try to get away from the blocker, have (the least amount of) contact with the blocker as possible.

DB: Pretty much like DJ (Derrick Johnson).

BOOMER: Exactly!! DJ is more gifted than I am, but one of the benefits I have is that I'm short. As crazy as that sounds, I have automatic leverage on people. I'm so busy trying to come up to hit them, rather than stand down to hit them. I was blessed with a lot of strength and explosion and once I'm able to put that together, I'll be ready to roll through people.

DB: A lot of Chiefs fans were excited when you said I'm going to be a crazy white boy running downfield on kickoffs (he laughs). Where do you see yourself this season? Because looking at you, you don't look like you have the instincts because of what you just said.

BOOMER: I definitely think I'm a special teams player. I think that's my ticket and that's one of the reason's why the Chiefs drafted me, they wanted to improve their coverage teams and that's one of the strong aspects for me... I can run downfield and cover punts and kickoffs. I feel like I can cover anybody, whether it's Dante or anybody. I'm going to run down there and go for the lights out!! If I miss, I'll at least make them cut back for someone else to make a play. When it comes to defense, I'm not going to sell myself short. I understand my role right now. If it means making myself better in order to make Kawika better, either way, as long as we win as a team, I'm doing my part.

DB: Where are you on the depth chart?

BOOMER: I'm running with the second string.

DB: Rich Scanlon is running behind you?

BOOMER: Rich is running behind me, and we rotate on certain deals.

DB: How many middle linebackers do they want to keep this year?

BOOMER: Gun said he needs four starters. That's the only thing he talks about when it comes to numbers. He says he needs four starting linebackers. He needs three who can play and one who can do whatever.

http://www.chiefscoalition.com/index.php?id=168

shaneo69
08-09-2005, 08:33 PM
from interview at chiefscoalition:

And they're grooming Fox to be the one who can do whatever.

The way it's shaping up, I wouldn't be surprised if he switched to a 3-4 at the last second like he did in '97 when he had a wealth of LB's and lack of DT's.

chefsos
08-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Dammit! I thought he was gonna comment on his new bedpan.

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 08:35 PM
interesting...I bet Fox or maybe Fujita is the 4th...they could both switch sides in a pinch

Deberg_1990
08-09-2005, 08:38 PM
interesting...I bet Fox or maybe Fujita is the 4th...they could both switch sides in a pinch

IM betting Fugita is a goner......

penchief
08-09-2005, 08:49 PM
And they're grooming Fox to be the one who can do whatever.

The way it's shaping up, I wouldn't be surprised if he switched to a 3-4 at the last second like he did in '97 when he had a wealth of LB's and lack of DT's.

Good point. It might make sense. I know that Vermeil has always preferred Browning as a DT but I've always thought he stood out more as a DE. It seems like Hicks played better when Browning was the opposite DE.

If we went with the 3-4, Browning and Hicks would be decent against the run while Allen and Hall could play the pass. Sims and Dalton could share the middle. Wilkerson and Siavii could be the reserves.

A scenario like that would allow us to keep seven linebackers (DJ, Mitchell, Bell, Fox, Fujita, Scanlon, and Grigsby).

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 08:50 PM

I hope not, he'd be a quality vet backup...

the Talking Can
08-09-2005, 08:51 PM
we can't play a 3-4 with our tackles...

Iowanian
08-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I can see a 3-4 package for certain situations....but no way does KC have the Dline or OLBs(Johnson and Fox are too small to be 3-4OLBs IMO) for the 3-4 as a base package.

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Dammit! I thought he was gonna comment on his new bedpan.
Probably hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it'll be there tomorrow.

ROYC75
08-09-2005, 09:34 PM
we can't play a 3-4 with our tackles...

At times we can mix it up with dalton, but we have nobody else, we lack DT's for a 3-4.

BTA, we can always use Whitlock,his ass is big enough. Slap a little Gates BBQ sauce on the opponets jerseys and tell Jason it's a buffet line.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Not a chance. He's 4th or 5th LB....no worse.

chefsos
08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Probably hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it'll be there tomorrow.

Didja attach a note to it? Y'know, all witty and sh*t.

Coogs
08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I've been over at the Coalition site lurking a bit for the last couple of days. Gotta tell ya, it is a pretty darn good place. They talk some serious Chiefs stuff over there.

ENDelt260
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Didja attach a note to it? Y'know, all witty and sh*t.
Yeah, I pasted the text of the letter I included w/ the pic of the bedpan the other day.

Uncle_Ted
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I've been over at the Coalition site lurking a bit for the last couple of days. Gotta tell ya, it is a pretty darn good place. They talk some serious Chiefs stuff over there.

Good Lord did you check out the picture of Pagac on that site ... he looks like he got in a knockdown drag-out fight. I'd hate to see what the other guy looks like ...

Coogs
08-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Good Lord did you check out the picture of Pagac on that site ... he looks like he got in a knockdown drag-out fight. I'd hate to see what the other guy looks like ...

ROFL No doubt!

beavis
08-09-2005, 11:02 PM
I've been hearing that too. I got nothing against the guy, but I think it's a pretty good sign that last years starter might not make the team this year.

Mr. Kotter
08-09-2005, 11:21 PM
I've been hearing that too. I got nothing against the guy, but I think it's a pretty good sign that last years starter might not make the team this year.

Fujita ran with the second team LBs every practice I saw in River Falls over the weekend. And he looked solid. Fox has, arguably, moved ahead of him....as the 4th LB, but he's no worse than 5th on the overall LB chart....IMHO.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2005, 12:23 AM
It's just a hard transition for me from the last four years, where they taught me to jump around and get out the way, try to get away from the blocker, have (the least amount of) contact with the blocker as possible.
with as bad as our defense has been maybe we should be trying it the DJ and Boomer college way.........

stevieray
08-10-2005, 12:33 AM
with as bad as our defense has been maybe we should be trying it the DJ and Boomer college way.........

Isn't that Robinson's defensive approach?

beer bacon
08-10-2005, 12:52 AM

It would make zero sense to cut Fujita. Unlike Barber, Fuj is only earning the vet min this year. He is a decent starter and quality depth. We would regret it if we cut him.

Also, Fox as the 4th jack of all trades LB makes sense. It was noted a couple days ago that Fox was taking some of Bell's reps with the 1st team so he could learn the position. Additionally, Boomer said in his last camp diary that Fox was also getting reps as the nickle MLB with the second team to utilize his coverage skills. It sounds good to me.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 12:57 AM
It would make zero sense to cut Fujita. Unlike Barber, Fuj is only earning the vet min this year. He is a decent starter and quality depth. We would regret it if we cut him.

Agreed.

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm guessing Maz, Barber, and Scanlon are gone. Barber could be later, due to his injury. Griffin is probably a PS guy.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM

Also, Fox as the 4th jack of all trades LB makes sense. It was noted a couple days ago that Fox was taking some of Bell's reps with the 1st team so he could learn the position. Additionally, Boomer said in his last camp diary that Fox was also getting reps as the nickle MLB with the second team to utilize his coverage skills. It sounds good to me.

Zachtly my take.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm guessing Maz, Barber, and Scanlon are gone. Barber could be later, due to his injury. Griffin is probably a PS guy.

Scanlon is the second MLB; they keep Bell, Mitchell, DJ, Fujita, Fox, and Scanlon, IMO. Grigsby is either a ST roster spot, or PS IMHO.

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Scanlon is the second MLB; they keep Bell, Mitchell, DJ, Fujita, Fox, and Scanlon, IMO. Grigsby is either a ST roster spot, or PS IMHO.
Boomer and Scanlon have been alternating, but it reads as though Boomer is pulling ahead. Couple that with his ST play, and the writing is on the wall, IMO.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Boomer and Scanlon have been alternating, but it reads as though Boomer is pulling ahead. Couple that with his ST play, and the writing is on the wall, IMO.

Guess we shall see; I'm bettin' on Scanlon for backup MLB....and, no, I'm NOT from Kentucky....yee-haw! :p

jspchief
08-10-2005, 06:23 AM
with as bad as our defense has been maybe we should be trying it the DJ and Boomer college way.........If we were facing college level talent, that might work. People don't seem to understand that players have to take on blocks in the NFL because everyone is fast. When you've got NFL speed, you can run around guys with college speed. When you come up against another guy with NFL speed, that's not so easy.

Bob Dole
08-10-2005, 06:42 AM

The deciding factor will be whether Boomer can tell the opposing player's front from his back.