PDA

View Full Version : Mark Craig: Chiefs can't hide feelings about No. 1 pick Johnson

KC2004
08-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Chiefs can't hide feelings about No. 1 pick Johnson
Mark Craig
August 10, 2005 CRAIG0810

RIVER FALLS, WIS. -- The Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs couldn't be further apart in the expectations they have for their first-round draft picks this season.

The Vikings are in the slow lane, doing 52 miles per hour, turn signal perpetually flashing, shushing any hint of hoopla surrounding receiver Troy Williamson and defensive end Erasmus James.

Then there's the Chiefs' Dick Vermeil, the oldest coach in the league, whooping it up like a teenager in the fast lane, foot to the floor when he talks about outside linebacker Derrick Johnson, the 15th overall pick from Texas.

"I think he's going to be a starter, and I think he'll play well, and I think he'll end up being a candidate for the rookie of the year on defense," Vermeil said. "Other than that, I don't have any expectations for him."

As if Williamson, the seventh overall pick, won't be compared to enough players -- Randy Moss and Mike Williams to name two -- you can add Johnson to the list. After all, the Vikings' most glaring weakness, at least on paper, is at linebacker. Outside linebacker.

Johnson is expected to start Friday when the Chiefs and Vikings unveil their revamped defenses in a preseason opener at the Metrodome. The Vikings, who ranked 28th in defense last season, have five new defensive starters, while the Chiefs, who ranked 31st, will have at least four.

Despite missing five days of practices before signing, Johnson became a starter at left outside linebacker on his third day of training camp. And from the looks of things in River Falls, he's already the best defensive player on the field.

"We could have waited to put him in as a starter, but, really, who are you kidding?" Vermeil said. "He's the most talented linebacker I've ever been on the field with."

The Vikings, on the other hand, consider Williamson their fifth receiver and a potential No. 1 kickoff returner. James, the 18th overall pick, drew early comparisons from coach Mike Tice to former Viking Chris Doleman, but James' 11-day holdout caused Tice to back off on plans to use him in the first nickel defense and have him compete with Darrion Scott for the starting right end position.

Part of the reason the Vikings are downplaying Williamson is obvious. In doing so, the hope is there will be fewer comparisons to Moss or Williams, the more polished receiver from Southern Cal who was drafted by the Detroit Lions three spots after Williamson.

But it also doesn't take Vince Lombardi to see that Williamson is still a bit of a project, especially as the seventh overall pick.

Johnson is another story.

"I'm ready to play right now," Johnson said. "They don't need to go slow with me."

Johnson won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the nation's top collegiate defensive player in 2004. He also won the Butkus Award as the top linebacker.

"And he also might be the fastest player on our entire team," Vermeil said. "That's hard to fathom at 6-3, 248 pounds."

The knock on Johnson coming out of college -- one that might have caused him to slip past the Vikings and Lions -- was he didn't challenge blockers well. But as the left outside linebacker in the Chiefs' 4-3 defense, Johnson often stands up tight ends at the line of scrimmage as well as he blankets them in pass routes.

"He has shown no physical limitations," Vermeil said. "He might even end up at middle linebacker for us."

Ask Chiefs starting center Casey Wiegmann how well Johnson confronts blockers. The 6-2, 285-pounder was pushed to the ground trying to block Johnson during a recent practice.

Running back Priest Holmes said speed is Johnson's best attribute.

"He's playing maybe a step ahead of everyone else," Holmes said. "I think he's at a different level right now."

Left defensive end Eric Hicks said Johnson is one of the more athletic players he has seen.

"He blitzed off the edge one time on a screen, but was still able to leap up, grab the ball out of the air and cup it like a basketball player," Hicks said. "I've never seen that before."

The Vikings were interested in Johnson but didn't rank him highly enough on their draft board to take him seventh overall.

"I had a meeting with Coach Tice at the combine," Johnson said. "He told me they needed a linebacker, but at the same time, they needed a receiver with Moss leaving.

"That's fine. I'm in a good situation here because we have a very established offense and a new-look defense."

The Chiefs' offense ranked No. 1 in total yards (418.4 per game) and second in points (30.2) last season. After standing pat on defense before last season, the Chiefs focused on that side of the ball this offseason.

"Going into the draft, we felt there was a chance Derrick would be there at 15," Vermeil said. "Fortunately for us, he was."

Mark Craig is at mcraig@startribune.com.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
"He has shown no physical limitations," Vermeil said. "He might even end up at middle linebacker for us."

DV has a man crush....Hicks must be pissed

oldandslow
08-10-2005, 07:50 AM
I really think this kid is going to be just as good as DT.

However, I hope that people don't expect too much. He is still a rookie. He will make mistakes.

BigRedChief
08-10-2005, 07:50 AM

Rep. ROFL

Scaga
08-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Is it Friday yet? :clap:

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 07:53 AM

However, I hope that people don't expect too much. He is still a rookie. He will make mistakes.

it's inevitable...he'll make some rookie mistakes and get burned badly a few times...but I think he's for real...he's the star-talent our D has needed since DT's death..

Cormac
08-10-2005, 07:53 AM

ROFL

KCTitus
08-10-2005, 07:56 AM
...The Vikings are in the slow lane, doing 52 miles per hour, turn signal perpetually flashing, shushing any hint of hoopla surrounding receiver Troy Williamson and defensive end Erasmus James.

For a proper analogy, the Vikings would be in the left lane of a 3 lane divided highway doing 52 mph with their left turn signal flashing...besides, isnt it Erasmus Jones? Where's Athan...

milkman
08-10-2005, 07:59 AM

I really don't think the DT comparison is a valid one.

DT was among the best ever at his specialty, which was rushing the passer.
But, as I said in "The Greatest Chief Ever" poll, he was a one dimensional player.

DJ will be, if he plays up to expectations and hope, a far more complete player.

I will wait a couple of years, however, before I start to draw any comparisons.

Uatu
08-10-2005, 08:06 AM
isnt it Erasmus Jones? Where's Athan...

ROFL I saw that article too ROFL

Rain Man
08-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Middle linebacker? I haven't heard that before.

Setting aside comparisons between DT and DJ, I will say that they both arrived at the Chiefs at the perfect time. DT arrived when the entire franchise was in the doldrums, and some part of his fame can be attributed to the fact that he and Marty and Neil and Carl were the four key players in making the team strong again.

Now DJ comes in at a time when the defense is in the doldrums, and he can really make a name for himself if he's a (the) key in turning it around. Especially when we've got a supercharged turbo Lamborghini offense on the other side of the ball.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Until he hits the field during the season,im calling hype.

StcChief
08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
We will see Friday.

The ViQueens may be kicking them selfs looking past him.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
We will see Friday.

not the same as regular season.

Demonpenz
08-10-2005, 10:20 AM
i don't like him at middle line backer. I have want him as a guy chasing not leading the charge. Let bell or Mitchell stick their nose up in there first. I want DJ coming from behind stripping going sideline to sideline pinning his ears back on 3rd down causing havoc RAISING THE ROOF TURNOVER CHIEFS OMG OMG !M!M!M!M!M!M!M FOOTTGGB|ASKSDALALALBFOOOTBALL~!

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 10:21 AM
not the same as regular season.

True, but it will be a pretty good indication of what he's about. Especially for those of us who haven't seen training camp action.

TEX
08-10-2005, 10:22 AM
i don't like him at middle line backer. I have want him as a guy chasing not leading the charge. Let bell or Mitchell stick their nose up in there first. I want DJ coming from behind stripping going sideline to sideline pinning his ears back on 3rd down causing havoc RAISING THE ROOF TURNOVER CHIEFS OMG OMG !M!M!M!M!M!M!M FOOTTGGB|ASKSDALALALBFOOOTBALL~!

Well said! :clap:

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 10:25 AM

I was with you until you started talking pigskin latin.

KCTitus
08-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Demonpenz's post reminds me of the classic post by Tim Nunya from the old star BB. I wish I had that post.

ROYC75
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
MLB ? I personally think we are OK at MLB, providing the light has came on in Mitchell's head. We have reason to think so after the last 4 games and TC this year. Besides we have Boomer and Rich for depth to back this position up.

IMHO, Switching him to MLB this far into camp isn't a good thing. He must learn the scheme all over, it will take him longer to develope.

Leave well enough alone.......

ct
08-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Demonpenz's post reminds me of the classic post by Tim Nunya from the old star BB. I wish I had that post.

That was GREAT!! Pooping little pez helmets or some crazy chit! Hopefully somebody has that somewhere.

We will see Friday.

I just can't wait, for one play, just one, where DJ slides thru the blockers on a sweep and HAMMERS the RB. You'll hear the Viking faithful collectively groan!

ct
08-10-2005, 10:41 AM
MLB ? I personally think we are OK at MLB, providing the light has came on in Mitchell's head. We have reason to think so after the last 4 games and TC this year. Besides we have Boomer and Rich for depth to back this position up.

IMHO, Switching him to MLB this far into camp isn't a good thing. He must learn the scheme all over, it will take him longer to develope.

I really think DV is purposely blowin smoke on that one, everybody knows he's BS'n right there. I'd be surprised if he even said that with a straight face.

htismaqe
08-10-2005, 10:54 AM

We all know why you don't like it.

J Diddy
08-10-2005, 10:55 AM

ROFL

Leave him alone with his dreams.

ROYC75
08-10-2005, 11:05 AM

Heh, Good thing I told ya, you seem to have other ideas . :D

ChiefsOne
08-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I love the hype. Can't wait until DJ steps on the field, makes me want to run out and buy his jersey today. At least he will be there for a few years, unlike some of the jerseys I have bought in the past.

Dave Lane
08-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Until he hits the field during the season,im calling hype.

"When you can move like he can move, there's no limitation to what he can do," Vermeil said. "That's why he was a No. 1 pick. I don't know how long it will take him, but he's going to be one of the premier football players in the league defensively.

I guess DV isn't to be believed. I think I'll take his expertise over yours.

Dave

Brock
08-10-2005, 12:44 PM

Dave

I wouldn't buy an apple from Dick Vermeil.

milkman
08-10-2005, 12:45 PM
"When you can move like he can move, there's no limitation to what he can do," Vermeil said. "That's why he was a No. 1 pick. I don't know how long it will take him, but he's going to be one of the premier football players in the league defensively.

Dave

One of the (many) reasons I really don't like Vermeil is his propensity to devalue young players, and not really give them much of a chance, unless forced to by circumstances, even when it pretty clear that the vet palying has no business on the field. (See Vonnie Holliday/Jared Allen)

So my thinking is, if Dick is excited about DJ, and can barely contain that excitement, then I seriously doubt it's all hype.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2005, 12:45 PM

Dave

really dave?
How many soundbites do you have to hear from coaches that are complete bs,before you yourself call BS??

How manytimes has DV said onething and something else happened?

its part of his job to hype.

Dave Lane
08-10-2005, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't buy an apple from Dick Vermeil.

What if you cut it up to make sure there was no razor blade in it?

Dave

Dave Lane
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
really dave?
How many soundbites do you have to hear from coaches that are complete bs,before you yourself call BS??

How manytimes has DV said onething and something else happened?

its part of his job to hype.

I've seen DJ in action at OTAs and River Falls. One look is all it takes to see what they are talking about. The guy is a god.

Dave

Dave Lane
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
One of the (many) reasons I really don't like Vermeil is his propensity to devalue young players, and not really give them much of a chance, unless forced to by circumstances, even when it pretty clear that the vet palying has no business on the field. (See Vonnie Holliday/Jared Allen)

So my thinking is, if Dick is excited about DJ, and can barely contain that excitement, then I seriously doubt it's all hype.

I agree. The guy is the real deal like we haven't seen in years. Barring injury / other off field problems this guy is going to be "special"

Dave

MOhillbilly
08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I've seen DJ in action at OTAs and River Falls. One look is all it takes to see what they are talking about. The guy is a god.

Dave

practice and gametime situations are like the diffrences between men and women.

Garcia Bronco
08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm gonna LMAO when Derek Johnson gets owned his first season. Owned because your d-line is going to get owned.

Garcia Bronco
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
:)

Calcountry
08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
it's inevitable...he'll make some rookie mistakes and get burned badly a few times...but I think he's for real...he's the star-talent our D has needed since DT's death..I remember Draft day like it was Christmas, and there he was dropping right to us.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm gonna LMAO when Derek Johnson gets owned his first season. Owned because your d-line is going to get owned.

a bronco fan with DL smack....that's funny

ROYC75
08-10-2005, 01:37 PM

You like dreaming ? :hmmm:

You'll be sad the day you guys lose at home ! ;)

The 2005 Chiefs : Coming to your town and taking no prisoners !

Crush
08-10-2005, 01:42 PM
HE WILL DESTROY YOU!!!

beavis
08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
You may be right. I mean, he does have to deal with the Donkey leg whips 2 games this year.

chefsos
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Derrick Johnson(As Ali, standing over prone Donkey): "What's my name? What's my NAME?! WHAT'S MY NAME?!!!!

Donx prolly could own a poet.
http://www.poemhunter.com/derek-johnson/poet-3895/

Saul Good
08-10-2005, 08:20 PM

Actually I think you have a pretty good point. Before the draft, I kept saying that we shouldn't draft the Butkus/Nagursky award winner at D-Line. I kept saying that we should find a team with almost an equally bad defense and sign their entire D-Line. Then we could use the drafts pick on Maurice Clarette and a bunch of midget cornerbacks. Then I started thinking that, instead of always throwing with his right hand, Trent Green ought to mix it up a little and throw lefty every now and again.

Ultra Peanut
08-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Actually I think you have a pretty good point. Before the draft, I kept saying that we shouldn't draft the Butkus/Nagursky award winner at D-Line. I kept saying that we should find a team with almost an equally bad defense and sign their entire D-Line. Then we could use the drafts pick on Maurice Clarette and a bunch of midget cornerbacks. Then I started thinking that, instead of always throwing with his right hand, Trent Green ought to mix it up a little and throw lefty every now and again.ROFL

:clap:

Pitt Gorilla
08-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Actually I think you have a pretty good point. Before the draft, I kept saying that we shouldn't draft the Butkus/Nagursky award winner at D-Line. I kept saying that we should find a team with almost an equally bad defense and sign their entire D-Line. Then we could use the drafts pick on Maurice Clarette and a bunch of midget cornerbacks. Then I started thinking that, instead of always throwing with his right hand, Trent Green ought to mix it up a little and throw lefty every now and again.
:)

whoman69
08-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Williamson is what happens when teams put too much emphasis on workout numbers. Just because he was the fastest guy around...

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Williamson is the next Randy Moss, just ask Merrill Hodge.

HolmeZz
08-10-2005, 11:17 PM
I was looking at Williamson as a 2nd rounder before all the late buzz he started getting. Definitely should've been pegged behind the likes of Mike Williams and Mark Clayton.

Garcia Bronco
08-12-2005, 07:13 PM

LOL........the only problem with your thought process is there is no defense equal to the KC defense....their "success" is unmatched...and just when I think they can't get any worse...they dig a little bit deeper. And Trent Green might not throw a good off-handed pass, but he can throw one heck of a no look pass.....ask John Tait.ROFL

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
LOL........the only problem with your thought process is there is no defense equal to the KC defense....their "success" is unmatched...and just when I think they can't get any worse...they dig a little bit deeper. And Trent Green might not throw a good off-handed pass, but he can throw one heck of a no look pass.....ask John Tait.ROFL

Excellent timing.

Garcia Bronco
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Excellent timing.

I wish I was watching a game right now.....but I can't....because my hotel doesn't have shit. :(