PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices...Premium or Regular

dollar1
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Do you get better gas mileage with premium to off set the additional price per gallon? Or is it a waste of money unless your car specifically requires the higher octane.

I drive an '96 SS Impala 5.7L with mods ~350hp.

Wife drives '04 Trailblazer 4.2L 275hp.

I've been taking the mileage with regular gas for 2 mos in the SS. Avg ~16-24 mpg depending on how much I get into it. Think TB gets 16-20 mpg.

Soupnazi
08-10-2005, 12:50 PM
You're probably wasting money unless your car calls for it. My maxima calls for premium, and when I used regular, I got about 4-5 mpg less than premium, so I just went back. It was actually costing me money to use regular.

The funny part is that premium is now relatively cheaper than ever before. At $1/gallon for regular, the extra 20 cents represented a 20% increase. At $2.35/gallon, the extra 20 cents represents an 8.5% increase.

Rain Man
08-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I read an article about this just two days ago. Several experts said that for most new cars, the engine will automatically adjust to the octane level of the gas, and it makes no difference what you put in. They said that SOME drivers, in SOME situations, may note a small loss of horsepower in SOME situations. Based on this article, I put non-premium gas in my car for the first time ever yesterday.

I'm not sure if a '96 is new enough, though.

Donger
08-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Do you get better gas mileage with premium to off set the additional price per gallon?

No.

Donger
08-10-2005, 01:09 PM
I read an article about this just two days ago. Several experts said that for most new cars, the engine will automatically adjust to the octane level of the gas, and it makes no difference what you put in. They said that SOME drivers, in SOME situations, may note a small loss of horsepower in SOME situations. Based on this article, I put non-premium gas in my car for the first time ever yesterday.

Take a peek in your Owner's Manual, or on the fuel door. If your engine requires higher octane and you've got low/regular octane gas in the tank, it will do one of two things: 1. If your engine is 'smart' enough, it will retard the ignition timing to avoid pinging. 2. It will ping.

Radar Chief
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM

If you’re talk’n ‘bout the Beemer, it might be new enough.
A “Knock” sensor from what I understand is basically a microphone attached to the cylinder block that senses any noises related to pinging and will retard the ignition timing to eliminate it.
On octane, if you’re operator’s manual calls for plain ole regular, 87 octane, then that’s what you should run. Running premium can actually cause problems since the lower compression engine won’t be burning it fully.

Radar Chief
08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Take a peek in your Owner's Manual, or on the fuel door. If your engine requires higher octane and you've got low/regular octane gas in the tank, it will do one of two things: 1. If your engine is 'smart' enough, it will retard the ignition timing to avoid pinging. 2. It will ping.

Pretty much.