PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday AM camp report

ROYC75
08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2005 Morning
K.C. Chiefs Training Camp Daily Updates

Please note that today's afternoon practice starts early—it is from 3:45 to 6:05 p.m.

Mother Nature seems to be having a hard time making up her mind in River Falls. Hot and steamy turned to cool and rainy, then back again. This morning's practice started off cool at 71 degrees, but as the sun heated up the moisture on the ground, the temperature quickly rose to near 80 degrees. The dew point was 63 degrees and the wind was from the north at 2.4 miles per hour. About 120 fans were in attendance.

Special Teams

Warm-ups for special teams practice lasted for exactly 10 minutes. During this time, the players performed stretching, push-up walks, lateral shuffling and lunges. Kicker Lawrence Tynes and punter Dustin Colquitt prepared for practice by warming up their legs on the side.

After special teams practice running back Larry Johnson worked on footwork patterns, sprints and his catching with three of the coaches. He is trying to rehab his injury and prepare for Friday's game.

This morning's special teams practices worked on specialty situations: on-side kicks, free kicks and fair catch.

The team also worked on punt returns. In the first unit for punt returns was: Shaunard Harts, Boomer Grigsby, Ronnie Cruz, Rich Scanlon, Willie Pile, Kris Griffin, Robert Holcombe, Benny Sapp, Jimmy Wilkerson, Richard Smith, and Jeris McIntyre.

Special teams also touched on kickoff coverage with Benny Sapp, Marc Boerigter, Derrick Johnson, Boomer Grigsby, Scott Fujita, Rich Scanlon, Jeris McIntyre, Gary Stills, William Bartee, Chris Horn, and Samie Parker.

"We had very light special teams work on the fringe plays," said Coach Dick Vermeil about practice this morning. "The on-side kick, the on-side kickoff return, take a safety - different kinds of things that you don't cover on a daily basis, but you do need to be thoroughly prepared for on game day." On getting the players' attention, Vermeil said, "That's one thing, we have their attention, and they know there's going to be a few guys make this football team because they're good on teams."

When asked what Lawrence Tynes needs to do considering he's missed a few kicks, Coach Vermeil said, "We'll make them in a game, that's what he gets paid to do is make them in a game. I think he will. We kept him because we thought he was a good kicker. He did a pretty good job last year, and hopefully he'll do a better job this year. His kick offs have been better in training camp this year than they were last year. He still is not quite as consistent, he's got a new holder, and hopefully we can get it all smoothed out in these preseason games."

When asked if it is unusual for Tynes not to have competition in camp, Vermeil said, "Oh I don't know, sometimes you kid yourself, it's hard to get field goal kickers and punters - it really is. You know you bring guys in with the safe legs and give them opportunities to help, if they don't make it here they can make it somewhere else. If you do get a punter or place kicker hurt, you've got somebody who can take it. I'm a fanatic about keeping practice going, and you need fill-in for guys who get bumps and bruises. Punters and place kickers can't fill in for different positions, so we keep full complimentary depth chart in the other positions to fill in the kickers and punters."

Fans

Josh Dixon, 12, attends Summer Training Camp almost every day. Since he's from River Falls, he usually rides his bike over to Ramer Field to observe practice. Although he is keen on watching all of the Chiefs athletes, he is most astonished by wide receiver Dante Hall. Dixon fancies getting autographs from all the players and tries to emulate their attitude and skills for his own football team. Although he is a Packers fan first, Dixon thinks that the Chiefs would definitely beat Green Bay if they played. Dixon plays wide receiver on his squad.

Karen and Brian Spielbusch, from Albuquerque, N.M., brought their sons Brian Fennema and Kyle to Summer Training Camp. Kyle, 13, adores watching running back Priest Holmes, wide receiver Dante Hall and tight end Tony Gonzalez. He is thrilled with the autographs on his football and is hoping to fill up the entire ball. When looking back, Kyle most vividly remembers a game where the Chiefs beat the Cardinals 49-0. "I actually got to go, and it was so much fun." Brian, a college student, says that being at Chiefs practice is "the most fun I've had in awhile." He agrees that everyone here is very willing to help and very personable. Some of his favorite players include: former linebacker Derrick Thomas and recently acquired linebacker Kendrell Bell. Brian believes that the Chiefs will go 11-5 this season, but they also "have the hardest schedule in the league." The family is staying until Friday.

X Factor is in the house! Ty Rowton, a.k.a. X Factor, is one of the Chiefs' best-known superfans. He arrived in town at 5:30 a.m. with his father to watch his favorite team practice. This is the third year that he's visited training camp, but the X Factor has been a Chiefs fan all his life, since he was "just a little guy," thanks to his dad, Chuck Rowton. "That's where we spent Sundays," explains Chuck.

Emily Halada has met a lot of interesting fans this summer as she performs her duties as volunteer coordinator. "I met Deni Jones who told me all about his Chiefs fanatic wife. I've also met some Red Coaters. Everyone has been so nice. It's really interesting to meet these people. I find it fascinating that these people travel all this way to hang out and watch practice, "says Halada. According to the map of the United States hanging in the information gazebo, a family from Seattle, Wash., has traveled the farthest.

Alec Stindt, 7, of Topeka, Kan., is visiting River Falls with his father, uncle and two cousins. When asked if he is a big Chiefs fan, Alec replied, "Kinda." He thinks it's really cool to be this close to all of the players. He had his disposable camera ready to catch some of the action on film.

Larry Lamping has been a Chiefs fan for years even though he has never lived in the Kansas City area. A resident of Batesville, Ind., he plans his business trips to Minneapolis around training camp so he can attend. He doesn't have a favorite player, but he likes to watch the "bottom of the roster to try and figure out who is going to make the team. I like to find out who the fringe guys are; the young draft choices and unheralded free agents. I like to see if I can pick out whose going to make it. I'm usually right," says Lamping.

Extra, Extra…Read All About It!

In an interview with running back Larry Johnson following practice, Johnson said that he is a quick healer so he doesn't plan to miss the preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings on Friday at the Metrodome. "I am very comfortable with the system and am no longer star struck, so I am ready to dominate," says Johnson. He believes that his performance in the last few games of the 2004 season "has opened the eyes of others and proves that I can contribute to the offense." The Chiefs are very anxious for their preseason game: "It's going to be very intense. There may be a lot of mistakes, but I promise intensity," says Johnson.

milkman
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, that was enlightening! :rolleyes:

ROYC75
08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Good, I was afraid I missed something, thanks for confirming it was Pretty plain and dull ......

jiveturkey
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
In an interview with running back Larry Johnson following practice, Johnson said that he is a quick healer so he doesn't plan to miss the preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings on Friday at the Metrodome. "I am very comfortable with the system and am no longer star struck, so I am ready to dominate," says Johnson. He believes that his performance in the last few games of the 2004 season "has opened the eyes of others and proves that I can contribute to the offense." The Chiefs are very anxious for their preseason game: "It's going to be very intense. There may be a lot of mistakes, but I promise intensity," says Johnson.

Here's an interesting tid bit. I hope that he plays.

el borracho
08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I missed it. What happened to Larry Johnson?

jiveturkey
08-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I missed it. What happened to Larry Johnson?Deep thigh bruise. I think.

Chiefnj
08-10-2005, 02:10 PM
I missed it. What happened to Larry Johnson?

I think Vermeil said diaper rash.

Chief Faithful
08-10-2005, 02:15 PM
It seems Jeris McIntyre has been playing a lot of first string on special teams. Combine that with other reports and I'm being to think this guy has a chance of making the final cut.

Has anyone personally seen how he is performing in camp?