PDA

View Full Version : Siavii and lower body strength

Line Judge
08-10-2005, 12:38 PM
A previous post discussed occasionally trying a 3-4 defense. It was pointed out that it was necessary to have a monster NT for this to work. Someone said that Siavii couldn't do the job because he had no lower body strength. My question is why not. (you can tell that I am ignorant of body building) The guy is huge. Does he not have the anatomy or physique to develop this? Can he not do the right exercises because of his bad knees? Was he too lazy to work on this during the off season? Don't the Chiefs have excellent strenght coaches? I'd like to know.

tyton75
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I think he "could" just based on the fact that he is huge.. but if it only takes one guy to block him.. we would be screwed..

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
The lack of "lower body strength" was a knock on Junior during the draft last year. I would hope the strenght and condtioning guys are addressing that issue, if it's legit.

Junior, at his size....with comensurate lower body strenght would be the poster boy for a NT in a 3-4. It just may take a year or two more to get him there....if and when he's healthy and motivated. Otherwise, his potential gets wasted.

morphius
08-10-2005, 01:21 PM
It was because he never did much in the way of lifting weights, was just born huge. Hopefully he has worked on that a bit.

Chiefnj
08-10-2005, 01:27 PM
The guy has very little football experience. That's the problem. He's big, can probably gain muscle if he works at it, but being a lineman is about leverage, footwork and technique. Only playing time is going to give him those things and he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Asking him to play NT would be like someone giving you a Japanese dictionary and telling you that you have to be a translator by September 11th.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Siavii makes Sims looks like a work-a-holic.

Mr. Kotter
08-10-2005, 01:35 PM

I understand your point, but I wouldn't go that far....

Braincase
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Maybe there's a relationship between his lower body strength and the tendinitis he's got n his knees? Too much too soon?

Maybe he needs to visit Mr. Palmeiro.

the Talking Can
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I understand your point, but I wouldn't go that far....

I just can't get over a guy who has done squat in the league having tendonitis in both knees...I don't see how he gets healthy unless he takes time off...[DV voice] and he can't get better sitting on the bench[/DV voice]

Radar Chief
08-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Maybe there's a relationship between his lower body strength and the tendinitis he's got n his knees? Too much too soon?

Maybe he needs to visit Mr. Palmeiro.

:hmmm:

Crush
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Siavii's situation has been disappointing so far, but hopefully it can get better.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Alot of bigger guys mainly just lift to build up their upper body. I knew a couple big guys in high school that could bench alot but could squat very little. Siavii seems to be the same way.

Radar Chief
08-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Alot of bigger guys mainly just lift to build up their upper body. I knew a couple big guys in high school that could bench alot but could squat very little. Siavii seems to be the same way.

Thatís fine for high school, and I know a few like that also, but doesnít go over in the NFL where theyíre paid to be professional athletes. Though, if Siiavi hasnít figured out how to work squats into his routine, he wonít be a professional athlete for long.

patteeu
08-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Siavii has to prove he can play in the NFL before anyone builds a defense that's dependant on him.

NaptownChief
08-10-2005, 05:03 PM

ROFL

This is the beef I have with Siavii...He appears to be very lazy. In just the begining of his second year I don't expect Reggie White in his prime but the problem I have is he hasn't done squat and yet is nursing minor injuries rather than busting his tail trying to do something. Much like the old saying goes if you are struggling don't let it be due to a lack of effort.

After a season and half of a training camp you at least want to hear about how the guy has a "non-stop motor" or "busting his tail trying to play through pain..." or anything like that at least tells you the kid may have a long way to go but is willing to put in the effort to get there. The fact we are hearing little to none of that says the guy lacks effort and raw inexperienced projects combine with poor effort are never a good combination.

And a big kiss my ass in advance to anyone who was planning on throwing out the usual chicken little comments. :D

B_Ambuehl
08-10-2005, 05:37 PM
The thing is when you hear someone in the NFL say "lower body strength" a lot of times what they mean isn't the ability to lift in the squat rack, as anyone can vastly improve those numbers, it's the natural structure of the lower body and the natural level of explosiveness they have and how they move. If you don't naturally have those mile wide hips and 35 inch thighs you can be really strong but the leverage just won't be there in comparison to someone like a Warren Sapp or Reggie White, neither who probably spent more then a combined 5 minutes in the weight room. It's also very difficult to turn someone into a "knee bender" if they don't naturally move that way. Having said that there is a lot of room for improvement in that dept. for anyone but who knows what he's been doing offseason.

I just can't get over a guy who has done squat in the league having tendonitis in both knees...I don't see how he gets healthy unless he takes time off.

It's usually caused by overwork.

bringbackmarty
08-10-2005, 06:59 PM
The thing is when you hear someone in the NFL say "lower body strength" a lot of times what they mean isn't the ability to lift in the squat rack, as anyone can vastly improve those numbers, it's the natural structure of the lower body and the natural level of explosiveness they have and how they move. If you don't naturally have those mile wide hips and 35 inch thighs you can be really strong but the leverage just won't be there in comparison to someone like a Warren Sapp or Reggie White, neither who probably spent more then a combined 5 minutes in the weight room. It's also very difficult to turn someone into a "knee bender" if they don't naturally move that way. Having said that there is a lot of room for improvement in that dept. for anyone but who knows what he's been doing offseason.

It's usually caused by overwork.
good points imo.
I get a flare up in my forearms every year or so from playing upright bass caused by a dramatic increase in my workload, like if I am going into the studio, on tour, or just practicing more than I usually do. Normally I play 3-5 gigs a week, and no more than 4 hours a day. Days with no gigs I use as rest time to let my muscles stay fresh. I imagine during training camp he goes from a few hours of activity a few days a week to seven days six hours a day of really intense work. I have learned through the years that if I know that the work is coming up to ramp up my playing level gradually the weeks before the work so that there is no dramatic increase. Of course a lot of my work is last minute, and I can't always do this. I also don't make $250,000 dollars a year, or whatever he makes. So there is really no excuse. He's a pussy.

KCJake
08-10-2005, 07:58 PM
This isn't High School anymore. Each and every Chief has a workout regime that they follow in the off-season and during the season. I highly doubt Siavii is hiding in the corner doing "curls for girls," while the rest of the team is working out.

B_Ambuehl is absolutely right. A lot of it is genetics.

Line Judge
08-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your on the money replies. They helped explain what I was trying to figure out. Thanks.