PDA

View Full Version : SPINOFF:Best games you've seen in person

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Enough of reliving the pain and agony of defeat,with a new season upon us I'm ready for some good memories.

Frazod
08-10-2005, 07:19 PM
It's a toss up between a 20-7 beating of the evile scum of Denver a few years ago which I watched from front row seats and the nail-biting win over the evile scum of Denver two years ago during the banquet weekend.

wutamess
08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
1995 Tyronne Lous' Raytown vs Derrick Hoods' Central triple OT basketball game district championship @ municipal auditorium.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 07:37 PM
It's a toss up between a 20-7 beating of the evile scum of Denver a few years ago which I watched from front row seats and the nail-biting win over the evile scum of Denver two years ago during the banquet weekend.

Both of my choices include them as well

MNF '94 Montana vs. Elway

Super Bowl XXII,bet your ass I was a Redskin fan that day,Doug Williams and the skins tack 35 on Dungver in the 2nd quarter.It was a beautiful sight watching pissed off donkey fans leaving the Super Bowl at halftime.

Frazod
08-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Both of my choices include them as well

MNF '94 Montana vs. Elway

Super Bowl XXII,bet your ass I was a Redskin fan that day,Doug Williams and the skins tack 35 on Dungver in the 2nd quarter.It was a beautiful sight watching pissed off donkey fans leaving the Super Bowl at halftime.

You've actually attended a Super Bowl?

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 07:46 PM
You've actually attended a Super Bowl?

Not to brag,but yeah,two of them,XXII & XXVI.

I thought you seen my wall display last year,(ticket stubs pics etc.) remind me this year and I'll show you if you'd like.

morphius
08-10-2005, 07:52 PM
The three I have been to have all been exciting, there was the MNF game I went to with smlthppl and Bob Dole where we beat the Seahawks in an exciting game, there was the game where Grbac lit up the Chargers with something like 5TD passes, but the Dante return to beat Denver was the best.

Ari Chi3fs
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
2 stick in my mind...

DT's 7 sack effort vs Seahags... in which we lost on last play.

And Dungver @ Chiefs Oct 5th 2003, my sons first regular season Chiefs FB game. :-)

NaptownChief
08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
This isn't even close for me....The last two Colts v Donks playoff games here at the dome. Watching those pricks not just get beat and have their season shot in the ass but to get absolutely throttled. Pure unadulterated pleasure.

Halfcan
08-10-2005, 07:58 PM
That was 6 sacks I believe and that was my number one. Two was at Packers we won in overtime Green to Kennison. We were behind the whole game. It was awesome.

Halfcan
08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
And the rai game vs ew England when Arrowhead flooded.

Halfcan
08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Anytime we beat Raiders and Broncos!!

jspchief
08-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Best game I ever attended wasn't even at Arrowhead.

Here's what it looked like...

Phobia
08-10-2005, 08:22 PM
The Denver game 2 years ago. That game was absolutely unbelievable. I don't know how any other regular season game could top it.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Best game I ever attended wasn't even at Arrowhead.

Here's what it looked like...

Very nice,great pic.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Very nice,great pic.Thanks. If you blow it up really big, you can see about 65,000 people with their hearts ripped out, scowling at me. :)

Dartgod
08-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Easy. The MNF game against Buffalo in '90 or '91? We won 33-6 in total domination against a very good Bills team. In my 16 years of season tickets I've never been to a game with more electricity and excitement in the air. It was Peterson/Schottenheimer's Chiefs' coming out party. I think I went home that night and watched the entire game again on VHS.

A close second is the OT victory over Pittsburgh in the playoffs in '93.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 09:00 PM

Do you remember the Steeler player getting ejected and then trying to jump into the endzone seats after the fan threw beer on him?

Dartgod
08-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Do you remember the Steeler player getting ejected and then trying to jump into the endzone seats after the fan threw beer on him?
No. But there was a good chance I was pretty toasted at that game.

jspchief
08-10-2005, 09:04 PM
No. But there was a good chance I was pretty toasted at that game.In that case....Do you remember throwing your beer on a Steeler player?

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
In that case....Do you remember throwing your beer on a Steeler player?

ROFL

Seriously,yours truly wasn't drinking at that time so I remember it vividly.A Steeler player kicked one of our guys,gets ejected and as he's being led out around the field he gets doused in beer by the endzone fans.He leaps onto the wall and some fans actually grab his jersey and start pulling him into the seats while wailing on his back.

Funny as hell.

CoMoChief
08-10-2005, 09:09 PM
NCAA Football - '02 Oklahoma @ Mizzou

NCAA Hoops - '03 Kansas @ Mizzou (Hinrich baby!)

MLB - '03 Marins @ Cubs (yes, the Steve Bartman game) or George Brett's last home game in '94.

NFL - '03 Colts @ Chiefs Divisional Playoff Game (very fun to watch the shootout even though we lost) or the Monday Night Meltdown at Arrowhead

NBA - Game 6 1996 Finals Sonics @ Bulls (The atmosphere in the United Center when Jordan played was unbelievable)

Miles
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
95 win over the Broncos 20-17. It was a really close game and the defense came through late in the game. If I am remembering it correctly either DT or Neil Smith knocked the shit out of Elway to put the game away.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Best Game of any kind? Shockers come back from 15 down at half to beat Iowa in the NCAA Tourney, 1981. I found the ticket laying on the floor at Dillards the day of the game.

Best Chiefs Game: Lambeau, Octobor 2003. The overtime win, the Packers fans were very gracious. Had 50 yard line seats right behind the Chiefs Bench.

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Raiders at Chiefs 1995 Week 3

James Hasty's INT Return made my first Chiefs game, the best.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 10:05 PM
What year was Stoyo's 50+ fg to beat the donks?

Miles
08-10-2005, 10:06 PM
What year was Stoyo's 50+ fg to beat the donks?

97 maybe?

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:07 PM
By first Chiefs game, I mean the first one that I actually attended.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 10:09 PM
97 maybe?

I'm thinkin it was when Gun was head coach?

stevieray
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
97 maybe?

97 or 98

Miles
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm thinkin it was when Gun was head coach?

Found it...

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index.nsf/Games/1997-12-den-kc

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:14 PM
It was 97 because we were down 22-21 and Gannon led us to the 36. Stoyanovich BARELY got it over.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Found it...

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index.nsf/Games/1997-12-den-kc

Thanks.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 10:36 PM
It was 97 because we were down 22-21 and Gannon led us to the 36. Stoyanovich BARELY got it over.

Didn't Gannon lead us to eight victories before Grbac started the playoff game?

whoman69
08-10-2005, 10:37 PM
The Denver game 2 years ago. That game was absolutely unbelievable. I don't know how any other regular season game could top it.
That was pretty exciting, since it was the only NFL game I've ever been to. However, the defense just stunk up the joint that day. Small wonder the Doncs didn't score 45 on us.

I have to link my answer to the one I had for the worst game ever. In '81 the Hawkeyes had already beaten #6 Nebraska. After a demoralizing loss to Iowa State, UCLA came to Iowa City. The Hawkeyes were up 13-7 when the UCLA QB was hit in the end zone and the ball was recoved by Mark Bortz (later an offensive lineman for the Bears). That noise is the loudest noise I have ever heard. It was louder than standing next to a jet revving its engines.

Crush
08-10-2005, 10:39 PM

Something like that.

Nzoner
08-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Damn I forgot to add one,'95 MNF at Arrowhead vs.the Bolts,Vanover gets the opening kick-off in OT and takes it to the house.

At least that's how i remember it.

DJJasonp
08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Easy. The MNF game against Buffalo in '90 or '91? We won 33-6 in total domination against a very good Bills team. In my 16 years of season tickets I've never been to a game with more electricity and excitement in the air. It was Peterson/Schottenheimer's Chiefs' coming out party. I think I went home that night and watched the entire game again on VHS.

I must concur....that was the loudest I've ever heard it at Arrowhead....we knocked Andre Reed out of the game and Thurman Thomas had negative yardage at halftime.

But as for excitement...the same year (or the next...cant remember)...we had another Monday night game against the Raiders...DeBerg through a TD pass to tie it with little time left (crowd going insane)....and then Vanover won it in OT with the kick return (or punt return....memory a bit hazy)....but that feeling walking out and seeing all the Raiders fans (who thought they had the game won) crying was priceless!

DJJasonp
08-11-2005, 12:23 AM
I got my games mixed up....The SD game was Vanover's return....

The raiders game was won by DeBerg's TD.

(too much alcohol I guess)

alanm
08-11-2005, 12:36 AM
If this isn't limited to just Chiefs games then I would have to go with Nebraska beating #1 Oklahoma led by Billy Sims 17-14 in 1978.

Best Chiefs game that I saw in person would be the game in Denver in 2000 where Grbac hit Alexander in the endzone with 22 seconds left to win the game after they got the ball back with 1:12 left on the clock after Denver kicked a FG to take the lead.

stevieray
08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
If this isn't limited to just Chiefs games then I would have to go with Nebraska beating #1 Oklahoma led by Billy Sims 17-14 in 1978.

Best Chiefs game that I saw in person would be the game in Denver in 2000 where Grbac hit Alexander in the endzone with 22 seconds left to win the game after they got the ball back with 1:12 left on the clock after Denver kicked a FG to take the lead.

I was there also... DA caught that ball right in front of us...Best game at Invesco.

J Diddy
08-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Seattle seahawks game on Monday Night back in 2000 I think.

Good game, Chiefs came from behind at the end to win.

I couldn't freaking talk for a week.

Pitt Gorilla
08-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Panda Harvey's game winning HR in like the 13th a year ago or so was pretty cool. Not the best ever, but pretty cool none the less.

alanm
08-11-2005, 01:14 AM
I was there also... DA caught that ball right in front of us...Best game at Invesco.
2nd best Chief game would be the year before where Vanover ran a punt return back for a TD late in the 4th quarter for the game winner. I usually always hit the Chiefs game in Denver each year except for this year. The GF wanted to see a Denver game that didn't involve the Chiefs so I agreed and got tickets for the Denver / Washington game. The Chiefs are idle that weekend. ROFL :thumb:

Fried Meat Ball!
08-11-2005, 04:18 AM
And Dungver @ Chiefs Oct 5th 2003, my sons first regular season Chiefs FB game. :-)
This would be my choice, too. it was my wife's first NFL game, and it was a good one!

mcan
08-11-2005, 04:53 AM

I believe that he won 5 of 6 games at the end of the season while Grbac had a broken collar bone. As for that Stoyanovich field goal. Definately '97. I have a CD of all the radio highlites from that year. I use it in my alarm clock because it always pumps me up. So, I have Hothus' voice etched into my brian:

Mitch: Elway.. Play-action fake, here comes the blitz.. He is hit by Derrick Thomas! DOWN GOES ELWAY! Sack number one.. hundred.. For Derrick Thomas! And now, John Elway, is Derrick Thomas' Oneth victim on the All-Time, DT hit list!

Then, with just 0:04 on the clock...

Mitch: This is it, either way.. A fifty five yard field goal by Stoyanovitch.. A line drive.. (LEN: THAT'S IN).. and it is... GOOD! GOOD! GOOD!.. JUST OVER THE CROSSBAR with no time left! Pete Stoyanovich! Pete Stoyanovich for president!

It was, however, officially a 54 yarder...

Interestingly enough, the next week against Seattle, Kevin Lockett caught his first pass ever... Rep to whomever can name the guy who THREW THAT PASS...

Crush
08-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Interestingly enough, the next week against Seattle, Kevin Lockett caught his first pass ever... Rep to whomever can name the guy who THREW THAT PASS...

Wasn't that Aguiar?

BigRedChief
08-11-2005, 06:38 AM
On the tube........Montanta out dueling Elway on MNF at Mile High

In person...........Dante's runback against the Donk's.

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
My favorite game attended was watching my beloved Patriots keeping "THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL" out of the endzone in last years playoffs.

Hey apics, HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Goapics1
08-11-2005, 06:59 AM
My favorite game attended was watching my beloved Patriots keeping "THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL" out of the endzone in last years playoffs.

Hey apics, HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!
You suck.

:deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

We actually tailgated at my friend's house and watched the game in his garage. What a pisser. :cuss:

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 07:05 AM
You suck.

:deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

We actually tailgated at my friend's house and watched the game in his garage. What a pisser. :cuss:

you wanna hate me even more? I was also at the season opener!!!! ROFL Nothing better than opening and closing the seaon beating the Colts :)

Goapics1
08-11-2005, 07:07 AM
you wanna hate me even more? I was also at the season opener!!!! ROFL Nothing better than opening and closing the seaon beating the Colts :)
So you saw Edge's 2 fumbles and Vandy's shank at the end. :cuss:

Boy, at bet Foxboro was going crazy then.

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 07:12 AM
So you saw Edge's 2 fumbles and Vandy's shank at the end. :cuss:

Boy, at bet Foxboro was going crazy then.

We sure did. The best part was all the shit Vandershank was talking about how good it would be to kick a winning field goal to beat us. What a shmuck.

Why is your team's biggest talker a kicker?

Goapics1
08-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Why is your team's biggest talker a kicker?

He's a dipshit. They should just tape his mouth shut.

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 07:17 AM
He's a dipshit. They should just tape his mouth shut.

F*ck tape, use staples!

StcChief
08-11-2005, 07:18 AM
96 Chiefs / Packers. Chiefs win handley
but Packers win SB.

Close 2nd
Chiefs / 49ers Montana vs. Steve Young. Chiefs win.

Sydd
08-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Can't rememer the year, but it was an early 90's Monday night game against Oakland. The 4th quarter comeback where DeBerg hit Barnett with under a minute to play in the game for the win.

Had a suite for the game, and Ed Lothamer from the SuperBowl team was in the suite. Got to talk with him durring the game and see his super bowl ring.

My other favorite would have to be the Stoyo kick to beat Denver.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Can't rememer the year, but it was an early 90's Monday night game against Oakland. The 4th quarter comeback where DeBerg hit Barnett with under a minute to play in the game for the win.

Yeah I was at that game, probably a close second to games I've seen in person. 1st was the Buffalo game on I believe our 1st MNF appearance for centuries. We won 33-6 and it started the Arrowhead Crowd frenzy thingie. No one in the entire stadium sat down that night and it was a far cry from my earlier days in the 70's.

Saulbadguy
08-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Chiefs
2002 Chiefs beat the Raiders 17-10
2002 Chiefs beat the Bills after Warfield picks off Bledsoe near the endzone
2003 Chiefs go 5-0 vs Denver
2004 Chiefs beat the Colts
2004 Chiefs destroy Denver 45-17

Wildcats
2003 K-State beats #10 ranked Texas, fans storm the court
2003 Darren Sproles rushes for 273 yards over Mizzou, clinch the Big XII North title
2004 K-state beats Texas A&M at Kemper arena

I haven't been to too many games. I just got the ability to pay for the tickets a few years ago.

Rain Man
08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
I've been kind of lucky on my in-person games, since I usually only see a game live once every two years.

As I've bragged many times before, I was at the Montana Monday Night game where he humbled Ballhog Elway. I was also at DT's seven-sack game, Barry Word's 200 yard game, and I was at a game back when the Bengals were coming off a Super Bowl, when Nick Lowery kicked a game-winning field goal as time ran out.

Almost every game I've seen live has been a good, close game.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 09:08 AM
I've been kind of lucky on my in-person games, since I usually only see a game live once every two years.

As I've bragged many times before, I was at the Montana Monday Night game where he humbled Ballhog Elway. I was also at DT's seven-sack game, Barry Word's 200 yard game, and I was at a game back when the Bengals were coming off a Super Bowl, when Nick Lowery kicked a game-winning field goal as time ran out.

Almost every game I've seen live has been a good, close game.

The should give you complimentary season tickets and fly you to the games.

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Last year's Playoffs. David Ortiz hitting the game winning homerun to eliminate the Anahiem Angles.

C-Mac
08-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Colts 2004

mcan
08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Wasn't that Aguiar?

That it was my friend. That it was...

'97 was a great year. A couple weeks later, Marcus Allen threw a TD pass to Ted Popson too... That was against San Fransisco.

HemiEd
08-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks. If you blow it up really big, you can see about 65,000 people with their hearts ripped out, scowling at me. :)

There was in my estimation at least 4000 to 5000 Chiefs fans at that game. Nice picture.

ENDelt260
08-12-2005, 02:13 PM
It was a beautiful sight watching pissed off donkey fans leaving the Super Bowl at halftime.

Good Lord. Who could leave a Super Bowl at halftime?

DTLB58
08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I've only witnessed one Chiefs victory in person but it was a good one. 1995 I believe in OT When Hasty retuned a INT for a T.D. ROFL

DanT
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
My dad used to take us to a lot of games and then I worked at the Sports Complex for 7 years, so I've seen lots and lots of games. Two that stand out, though, are from the 1985 Royals postseason--Brett's incredible performance in game 3 of the ALCS and the 11-0 shellacking the Royals dealt the Cards. Although it ended up being an ass-kicking, that game had some tension early on because of the expectation that it would be low-scoring. It went from a seemingly-precious 2-run homer from Motley to Whitey playing the percentages on the anti-percentage Steve Balboni and getting burned to an all-around laugher, so it had everything. ;)

Examiner interview with George Brett in which he mentions both games, calling the playoff-game performance "the best he ever played." (http://www.examiner.net/royals/stories/brett.html)

1985 ALCS Game 3 Box Score and play-by-play (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10110KCA1985.htm)

1985 WS Game 7 Box Score and play-by-play (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B10270KCA1985.htm)