PDA

View Full Version : Damn I love golf tonight!

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Have not started a thread in a while. Hope everyone is playing well!

This is where I play on Wednesday nights.
http://www.kleincreek.com/golf/proto/kleincreek/index.htm
What a great night, I won the ten man shoot out. Shot 37 for nine holes, damn that was fun (two boges and one bird). Did not miss a fairway. Drank 6 beers in nine holes, then a few after. Now into the Jack. :p

Skip Towne
08-10-2005, 08:59 PM
You play at NIGHT?

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 09:02 PM
You play at NIGHT?

ROFL well Ok, it is night by the time we finsh and come home. We go off at 4:30, you are sharp Skip. You do not miss much. ROFL

Miles
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
I am playing early in the morning tomorrow. Havent played in a while and the course is pretty difficult (TPC Woodlands). Might get ugly.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I am playing early in the morning tomorrow. Havent played in a while and the course is pretty difficult. Might get ugly.

Just enjoy yourself, it will be winter pretty soon. From your posts I have read, you are no hack.

Miles
08-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Congrats on the win. That course looks pretty nice at well.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Congrats on the win. That course looks pretty nice at well.

Thanks, I have done well in that game. Reminds me of animals picking off the weak straggler at the back of the heard. You just watch what the person that is having the most trouble is doing and make sure you beat them. :D
I hit a low hot draw coming from windy Kansas and it works well at Klein Creek if you are hitting the fairways, they roll pretty good. They mow the place real tight on the fairways and greens.

Phobia
08-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I am playing early in the morning tomorrow. Havent played in a while and the course is pretty difficult (TPC Woodlands). Might get ugly.

You bastard.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM

Do you have a lin to that course? Must be nice having TPC in it's name. It sounds familiar. :hmmm:

chiefs4me
08-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Have not started a thread in a while. Hope everyone is playing well!

This is where I play on Wednesday nights.
http://www.kleincreek.com/golf/proto/kleincreek/index.htm
What a great night, I won the ten man shoot out. Shot 37 for nine holes, damn that was fun (two boges and one bird). Did not miss a fairway. Drank 6 beers in nine holes, then a few after. Now into the Jack. :p

And Jack....hmmmm, someone is gonna feel good in the morning..;)

Phobia
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Do you have a lin to that course? Must be nice having TPC in it's name. It sounds familiar. :hmmm:

http://www.woodlandsresort.com/tpc.aspx

I used to drive 40 minutes to take lessons there. During one such lesson my instructor told me Scottie Pippen had just left the training range, playing with a set of clubs MJ had given him.

This was back when we had mon-ay. The wife bought me a six-pack of lessons from the best guy in town. I don't want to know what that cost.

Coach
08-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Any strippers there? :p

Miles
08-10-2005, 09:51 PM

Its where they played the Shell Houston Open up until about a year or two ago. It actually just lost its TPC status since they didnt get another tournament there but everyone still calls it that. Now its part of the woodlands country club. I am pretty fortunate that my parents are members there and I can play it pretty cheap.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 10:11 PM
http://www.woodlandsresort.com/tpc.aspx

I used to drive 40 minutes to take lessons there. During one such lesson my instructor told me Scottie Pippen had just left the training range, playing with a set of clubs MJ had given him.

This was back when we had mon-ay. The wife bought me a six-pack of lessons from the best guy in town. I don't want to know what that cost.

I get more impressed by Pink the more I learn about her. That is cool, my wife would never do that.

Its where they played the Shell Houston Open up until about a year or two ago. It actually just lost its TPC status since they didnt get another tournament there but everyone still calls it that. Now its part of the woodlands country club. I am pretty fortunate that my parents are members there and I can play it pretty cheap.

Is that where Bruce Lietzke hangs out? Congrats on the parents membership, wow.
Wow,

Miles
08-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Is that where Bruce Lietzke hangs out? Congrats on the parents membership, wow.
Wow,

My parents both play all the time so they enjoy it quite a lot.

Im not really sure if Lietzke is around. Thinking he may be a Dallas guy? I will have to ask my Dad.

Jeff Maggart use to be around there all the time and KJ Choi also lives around one of the courses.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 10:31 PM
My parents both play all the time so they enjoy it quite a lot.

Im not really sure if Lietzke is around. Thinking he may be a Dallas guy? I will have to ask my Dad.

Jeff Maggart use to be around there all the time and KJ Choi also lives around one of the courses.

You might be right about Dallas, he was originally from Kansas IIRC. Must be cool having parents that play golf.
I have always liked Maggart.

Miles
08-10-2005, 10:40 PM
You might be right about Dallas, he was originally from Kansas IIRC. Must be cool having parents that play golf.
I have always liked Maggart.

Yeah its really cool that they both like the game as much as they do. Once I was old enough, most of our family vacations were to play golf. Thats how I got to play many of the courses I listed on the course thread.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Congrats..

My friends and I played a "Four Ball" game yesterday and it was a blast(There's a joke in there somewhere I'm sure). I've been playing pretty decent lately...shot 82 yesterday and 78 last week....I had a round last week were I had 11 straight pars...9 of them on the back 9. I don't think I've ever had a round like that before. If my front 9 had been half way decent, I would have had a pretty good score..That's golf though. If I could just put together a consistant round, I'd be dangerous.

Do you guys play the ball "down"?....I always do. Just curious.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Yeah its really cool that they both like the game as much as they do. Once I was old enough, most of our family vacations were to play golf. Thats how I got to play many of the courses I listed on the course thread.

I don't see how you play down there this time of year. My girlfriend and I went to San Antonio July 4th weekend and it was a hot MF. I thought Arkansas was hot buy after that trip, I'll never bitch about the weather here.

Phobia
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I don't see how you play down there this time of year. My girlfriend and I went to San Antonio July 4th weekend and it was a hot MF. I thought Arkansas was hot buy after that trip, I'll never bitch about the weather here.

I don't think you could play down there if you were visiting. But if you live down there, you get used to it. Roughly 5 years ago, I played 2-3 times per week in the afternoons. You can play any course in the city for under half price and have the course to yourself. That's the best time to play, IMO.

Miles
08-10-2005, 10:56 PM

When I was in high school I used to always play it down regardless of where I was.

Now I guess it depends on the quality of course and who I am playing with. Down here the grass isnt as nice as it is in the midwest and it can get a bit patchy, especially in the winter. If im playing a crappy course I tend to always bump it.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Congrats..

My friends and I played a "Four Ball" game yesterday and it was a blast(There's a joke in there somewhere I'm sure). I've been playing pretty decent lately...shot 82 yesterday and 78 last week....I had a round last week were I had 11 straight pars...9 of them on the back 9. I don't think I've ever had a round like that before. If my front 9 had been half way decent, I would have had a pretty good score..That's golf though. If I could just put together a consistant round, I'd be dangerous.

Good shootin! That is one of the greatest wonders of golf, no matter how good you play, you look back at what you could have done better. My two Bogies tonight were on two of the easiest holes, stupid laziness and lapse of concentration. :toast:
We do play the ball down, I never move it myself unless it is marked ground under repair.
So you shot 42 on the front? You really did play some consistent golf.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't think you could play down there if you were visiting. But if you live down there, you get used to it. Roughly 5 years ago, I played 2-3 times per week in the afternoons. You can play any course in the city for under half price and have the course to yourself. That's the best time to play, IMO.

Yeah...I can see that I guess. Winters are probably nice there. I understand what you mean about having the course to yourself. I've noticed that the hotter it gets, the fewer geezers(no offense Skip) there are on the course.

Miles
08-10-2005, 11:01 PM

I think you kind of get a little use to the heat. Even then Its really not all that bad if you tee off before 9:00. Though the last few holes can get a bit rough.

Afternoons can get a little brutal but so long as you get a cart and drink a ton of water its doable.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 11:02 PM
When I was in high school I used to always play it down regardless of where I was.

Now I guess it depends on the quality of course and who I am playing with. Down here the grass isnt as nice as it is in the midwest and it can get a bit patchy, especially in the winter. If im playing a crappy course I tend to always bump it.

I guess I lied...the only exception is when I have a lie on a big rock or something. Tearing up my clubs hurts their resale value and I can't have that being the "Club Slut" that I am.

Miles
08-10-2005, 11:04 PM
I guess I lied...the only exception is when I have a lie on a big rock or something. Tearing up my clubs hurts their resale value and I can't have that being the "Club Slut" that I am.

Yeah i would never hit it off a rock for the same reason. Same goes for the rough when there are lots of small rocks under your club.

Phobia
08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
You idiots. I never hit my ball into rocks.... trees and water are much more popular in my rounds.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I think you kind of get a little use to the heat. Even then Its really not all that bad if you tee off before 9:00. Though the last few holes can get a bit rough.

Afternoons can get a little brutal but so long as you get a cart and drink a ton of water its doable.

Cord grips are a must there I would guess. I'm pretty hot natured...must be that German blood in me...so the cold doesn't bother me like the heat does(It's supposed to get to 98 tomorrow). Arkansas is pretty mild(one to two snows a year), so the golf season lasts pretty long here...about 10 months.

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 11:09 PM
You idiots. I never hit my ball into rocks.... trees and water are much more popular in my rounds.

Trees do not belong on a golf course IMO, they are supposed to be in the jungle. Water does not bother me but fugging trees do.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Trees do not belong on a golf course IMO, they are supposed to be in the jungle. Water does not bother me but fugging trees do.

I play a couple of courses regularly that were built in the 50's and the fairways are lined with trees. If you are not straight, you are dead.

When I played in Vegas, that's the one thing that amazed me...NO TREES...it makes the game a lot easier.

Miles
08-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Cord grips are a must there I would guess. I'm pretty hot natured...must be that German blood in me...so the cold doesn't bother me like the heat does(It's supposed to get to 98 tomorrow). Arkansas is pretty mild(one to two snows a year), so the golf season lasts pretty long here...about 10 months.

Yeah cord grips are definitly a must down here. I have always used them anyways since they are great if you get in a little rain and I guess im also a bit paranoid about my club slipping.

Also I take the brutal heat over playing in really cold weather any day. I played plenty of rounds in Omaha where I wore ski jacket and gloves then ditched em whenever I hit. Not eactly the best scoring conditions ;)

HemiEd
08-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I play a couple of courses regularly that were built in the 50's and the fairways are lined with trees. If you are not straight, you are dead.

When I played in Vegas, that's the one thing that amazed me...NO TREES...it makes the game a lot easier.

Yep, I hit the ball too low for tree lined courses. If I am a little crooked that day, it makes for a ugly round. My Saturday morning standing time is at 6:15 on an old course that is full of trees. I had two holes last Saturday where I just could not get out of the fugging trees.
One of the links courses that I posted on your thread (prairie landing) only has trees on three holes on the back nine.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah cord grips are definitly a must down here. I have always used them anyways since they are great if you get in a little rain and I guess im also a bit paranoid about my club slipping.

Also I take the brutal heat over playing in really cold weather any day. I played plenty of rounds in Omaha where I wore ski jacket and gloves then ditched em whenever I hit. Not eactly the best scoring conditions ;)

I prefer the cords as well...for the same reasons...they last much longer too. But they are hard on the hands and the gloves.

We don't have that brutal cold like Nebraska and KC, but I have played in some shit here...then again...I've played in 70 degree weather on New Year's day too.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Yep, I hit the ball too low for tree lined courses. If I am a little crooked that day, it makes for a ugly round.

I have the exact opposite problem with my swing right now. I'm hitting the ball higher than I'd like...I've moved it back a little at address, but that doesn't seem to help. This year, my putting and chipping has carried me which is odd because they are usually the weakest parts of my game.

WilliamTheIrish
08-10-2005, 11:38 PM

I've only been playing a year but unless I land on a rock I play it as it lays.

We have a guy in our group that plays up even if it's already a good lie. Never really noticed how much till last Sunday. We played 1$ per hole skins with carry over if nobody won the hole.

So the last hole ( a par 5, 518 yarder) ends up being worth 16 bucks to the winner. The dude hits his first ball OB and plays his second. It's a nice shot but it lands on a severe downslope. He's a rather portly fellow and he walks up to his ball and pushed it down the hill about 6 inches to a flat lie. I point this out to the other guy (my brother) in our group. Now the difference of just an inch in this game can mean the difference between a shot that goes 150 yars and one that goes 150 feet.

As it turns out everybody bungles the whole and he wins it with a 7.

We payed up but told him that the next time we play for $ the second he plays up he forfeits the hole.

Oh and I shot a 87. But I was pissed anyway. Giving away 8 bucks on that hole to a cheat.

Herzig
08-10-2005, 11:43 PM
I've only been playing a year but unless I land on a rock I play it as it lays.

We have a guy in our group that plays up even if it's already a good lie. Never really noticed how much till last Sunday. We played 1$ per hole skins with carry over if nobody won the hole.

So the last hole ( a par 5, 518 yarder) ends up being worth 16 bucks to the winner. The dude hits his first ball OB and plays his second. It's a nice shot but it lands on a severe downslope. He's a rather portly fellow and he walks up to his ball and pushed it down the hill about 6 inches to a flat lie. I point this out to the other guy (my brother) in our group. Now the difference of just an inch in this game can mean the difference between a shot that goes 150 yars and one that goes 150 feet.

As it turns out everybody bungles the whole and he wins it with a 7.

We payed up but told him that the next time we play for $ the second he plays up he forfeits the hole.

Oh and I shot a 87. But I was pissed anyway. Giving away 8 bucks on that hole to a cheat.

I don't like cheaters. Glad to hear you are sticking with it and playing well.

Miles
08-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I have the exact opposite problem with my swing right now. I'm hitting the ball higher than I'd like...I've moved it back a little at address, but that doesn't seem to help. This year, my putting and chipping has carried me which is odd because they are usually the weakest parts of my game.

I had a similar problem a few years ago and it ended up being my release point. Hiting it high isnt really bad unless its windy where you are. Guess you may lose a bit of distance from it though.

philfree
08-11-2005, 03:33 AM
To hit the ball lower don't move it back in your stance because although you may hit it lower sometimes you might also hit down on it too steeply and that will make it jump up. Instead put a little more weight on your left foot(for right handers) at address. Weight left = low and weight right = high. Also this time of year we're all loose so it's easy to over swing. Not swinging to hard but taking the club back to far instead and getting just a hair of reverse weight shift. That will make one's weight start away from the target at impact. Give these ideas a try and see if they don't help.

PhilFree:arrow:

mcan
08-11-2005, 04:05 AM
See, I like games where you can play the game competitively whether you're an expert or not. Get a bunch of people to play softball or baseball and anybody with an ounce of athleticism can participate. Golf? The learning curve is astoundingly huge. You can't even PLAY THE DAMNED GAME until you've practiced for years..

philfree
08-11-2005, 06:12 AM
See, I like games where you can play the game competitively whether you're an expert or not. Get a bunch of people to play softball or baseball and anybody with an ounce of athleticism can participate. Golf? The learning curve is astoundingly huge. You can't even PLAY THE DAMNED GAME until you've practiced for years..

I don't see it that way. To me golf is a game that can be played in a varity of ways. One can be a serious and try and be Johnny Golfer or one can play to just be out and enjoy just being out doors. Or one can play like me and be competitive but still be able to drink several alcoholic beverages and have a real big time but still have the nads to be able to make those crucial shots shots as they present themselves. Golf is all about what you want to get out of it. It's also a game that a person can play their whole life for the most part. You can tee it up at 8 or 80.....

Also a little proper instruction from a person in the know...can simplify the game so a person ain't gotta practice for years to be able to play and have fun. The thing is if you ain't put in the work you have no reason to get mad if you hit a poor shot. I see this all the time and sometimes I ask the individual "just exactly what kind of effort have you put in to think you should be mad about playing poorly?" The usual answer is " I don't know" followed be a "yeah I see what you mean".....Now me on the other hand...I over trained as a youth and it made it hard to perform up to my expectations and I struggled. As a grown up(LOL) I have vowed to never pratice my self out of the ability to play golf with my ability. I've got my once a week flow going right now and I ain't gonna hit a practice ball one. I've made 10 birdies the last 36 holes I played and am under par for the 36. For me a former ball pounder it's all about a clear mind. The ability to play each shot without any mental baggage....jsut like football.....one play at a time...the play you are about to play is the only thing you see.........whoops I was gettin kinda carried away there for a sec.

Play Golf its fun!

PhilFree:arrow

P.S. I've played my share of softball and if a guy and got a shred of athletic talent I don't want him on my team. A year of mgr made me hang it up. I can't baby sit grown men........This ol non athlete golfer did spank back to back homers one night though.

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Me and my buddies just found this course the other day in Quincy, Ma. Real nice course, nice view of the city, lots of obsticles. Needless to say the course got the better of me.

http://www.granitelinksgolfclub.com/index.html (http://)

http://www.granitelinksgolfclub.com/gallery/2005_Album/active/385/110_1047b.jpg
http://www.granitelinksgolfclub.com/gallery/2005_Album/active/385/110_1063.JPG
http://www.granitelinksgolfclub.com/gallery/2005_Album/active/385/Quarry_Hills_048.jpg
http://www.granitelinksgolfclub.com/gallery/2005_Album/active/385/113_1378.JPG

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 06:49 AM

I have found that swing plane makes as much difference as ball position. I do not swing vertically, it is more flat which promotes lower ball flight.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 06:55 AM

But, with some luck you can play it until you need diapers. I used to play with a lot of old guys that could shoot their age fairly regularly.

Me and my buddies just found this course the other day in Quincy, Ma. Real nice course, nice view of the city, lots of obsticles. Needless to say the course got the better of me.

Beautiful course, looks like a links course. :thumb:

mcan
08-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Also a little proper instruction from a person in the know...can simplify the game so a person ain't gotta practice for years to be able to play and have fun. The thing is if you ain't put in the work you have no reason to get mad if you hit a poor shot. I see this all the time and sometimes I ask the individual "just exactly what kind of effort have you put in to think you should be mad about playing poorly?" The usual answer is " I don't know" followed be a "yeah I see what you mean".....

I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to enjoy golf, or assume that anybody who likes it is wrong... However, I'm a little leary of a game where the basic premise takes so long to get. In my opinion, a game should take a couple minutes to learn, and a lifetime to master.

Baseball: i can teach you to throw, catch, and hit (although not well) in a couple minutes. The ins and outs of the game (when to hit to right field, when to steal a bag, etc...) That might take awhile. And nobody expects you to be Carlos Beltran on your first time out there. But, you should be able to take a chop on a ball and hit a line drive in softball.

GOLF is soooo different. Just swinging the club and making contact with the ball that is just sitting there is harder than an algebra course. It'll take you at least a month of hitting balls at the driving range just to be able to avoid completely embarrassing yourself when you take a chop at a ball and it bounces to a stop 10 feet in front of you. Oh, go ahead guys, play through... Then you finally get out to a course, and it's like everything you ever did is gone. You hit EVERY DAMNED BALL INTO THE WATER. You guys can play through too. No, I'll be here awhile. Imagine if DARTS was this difficult: OUCH! Oh, sorry Mr. Bartender, I've only been playing for a year and half. I'm not quite so good that I can actually hit the dart board yet. I think the idea of "PAR" is also VERY condescending. It seems like some magic, unattainable number. But, if you manage to get it (even on a single hole)... HEY YOUR AVERAGE!!!

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to enjoy golf, or assume that anybody who likes it is wrong... However, I'm a little leary of a game where the basic premise takes so long to get. In my opinion, a game should take a couple minutes to learn, and a lifetime to master.

Baseball: i can teach you to throw, catch, and hit (although not well) in a couple minutes. The ins and outs of the game (when to hit to right field, when to steal a bag, etc...) That might take awhile. And nobody expects you to be Carlos Beltran on your first time out there. But, you should be able to take a chop on a ball and hit a line drive in softball.

GOLF is soooo different. Just swinging the club and making contact with the ball that is just sitting there is harder than an algebra course. It'll take you at least a month of hitting balls at the driving range just to be able to avoid completely embarrassing yourself when you take a chop at a ball and it bounces to a stop 10 feet in front of you. Oh, go ahead guys, play through... Then you finally get out to a course, and it's like everything you ever did is gone. You hit EVERY DAMNED BALL INTO THE WATER. You guys can play through too. No, I'll be here awhile. Imagine if DARTS was this difficult: OUCH! Oh, sorry Mr. Bartender, I've only been playing for a year and half. I'm not quite so good that I can actually hit the dart board yet. I think the idea of "PAR" is also VERY condescending. It seems like some magic, unattainable number. But, if you manage to get it (even on a single hole)... HEY YOUR AVERAGE!!!

ROFL Very interesting take, it is difficult to become average at Golf. ROFL
However, in reality, I remember seeing a stat that said something like only 3% of the people ever break 90.

ROYC75
08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
I love golf so much I hate it when I can't play .

ROYC75
08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
ROFL Very interesting take, it is difficult to become average at Golf. ROFL
However, in reality, I remember seeing a stat that said something like only 3% of the people ever break 90.

Nice to know I'm in that 3%. FWIW, I'm thinking it was 3% on breaking a 100.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Nice to know I'm in that 3%. FWIW, I'm thinking it was 3% on breaking a 100.

You may be correct on that, it was a long time ago when I used to read Golf Digest. That mag will mess your game up IMO.

Biohazard
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
You play at NIGHT?
This is all you need, well and maybe some lights on your cart!

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-11-2005, 03:36 PM

and a glow in the dark target painted on your back

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 07:31 PM

I knew some guys that did play night golf. Never tried it myself but they used balls with glow sticks in them. I think they started at midnight or some crazy thing like that.

chiefs4me
08-11-2005, 07:54 PM
I knew some guys that did play night golf. Never tried it myself but they used balls with glow sticks in them. I think they started at midnight or some crazy thing like that.

Now that sounds fun.....:p

Skip Towne
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah, except for the snakes you can't see.

chiefs4me
08-11-2005, 08:15 PM

:deevee:

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 08:24 PM

They seemed to enjoy it.

If you can not see them why worry about them?

Skip Towne
08-11-2005, 08:36 PM
They seemed to enjoy it.

If you can not see them why worry about them?
Because you might step on them and they might nail your sorry ass?

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Because you might step on them and they might nail your sorry ass?

That would curtail a round.
I suspect you have a bigger Snake population in Arkansas than we have. I have not even seen one here in Illinois, ever, a few in Kansas.

Herzig
08-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I have found that swing plane makes as much difference as ball position. I do not swing vertically, it is more flat which promotes lower ball flight.

I've been messing with my swing plane more lately....I had a nasty tendency early this spring of coming "over the top" or "Outside-in"...turned my fade into a banana ball. I've got that worked out more though and I'm hitting a nice draw at times.

I played 27 holes today...then went to The Grape Festival in Tontitown, Arkansas tonight. I'm pretty beat.

Herzig
08-11-2005, 09:06 PM
That would curtail a round.
I suspect you have a bigger Snake population in Arkansas than we have. I have not even seen one here in Illinois, ever, a few in Kansas.

Don't Skip bullshit you.

He's never even lived in Arkansas. He lives in Tulsa right now. He used to live in a town on the Arkansas-Missouri border(Seligman,MO), but Barney Fife roughed him up and he moved away.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I've been messing with my swing plane more lately....I had a nasty tendency early this spring of coming "over the top" or "Outside-in"...turned my fade into a banana ball. I've got that worked out more though and I'm hitting a nice draw at times.

I played 27 holes today...then went to The Grape Festival in Tontitown, Arkansas tonight. I'm pretty beat.

Yep, when I start swinging to vertical the ball usually goes right, promoting coming over the top to correct it.

I bet you are beat, how did you play? Did you walk or ride?

Don't Skip bullshit you.

He's never even lived in Arkansas. He lives in Tulsa right now. He used to live in a town on the Arkansas-Missouri border(Seligman,MO), but Barney Fife roughed him up and he moved away.

I did not know that. Hell I know there are a lot of snakes in Oklahoma. ROFL

Herzig
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
I bet you are beat, how did you play? Did you walk or ride?

Ok. Shot 83 today on the first 18 with back-to-back TRIPLE bogeys on #6 and #7. We rode, but it was hot...we did the "Four Ball" game again for a little money. My partner shot a 75. He came to play today.. Today was my last day of summer. I go back to work tomorrow(I'm a teacher).

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Ok. Shot 83 today on the first 18 with back-to-back TRIPLE bogeys on #6 and #7. We rode, but it was hot...we did the "Four Ball" game again for a little money. My partner shot a 75. He came to play today.. Today was my last day of summer. I go back to work tomorrow(I'm a teacher).

You would have shot in the 70s if you would have just bogied those two holes, good round! What happened on those two, trees?
Teacher would be the gig for summer golf. Do you play every day in the summer?

Phobia
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Wow. Really? I consider myself fairly accomplished at both sports (considering 3% break 90....) I'd say it's a lot more difficult to hit a line drive every time at bat than hit a fairway every time.... unless you're hitting softballs off a tee.

Herzig
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
You would have shot in the 70s if you would have just bogied those two holes, good round! What happened on those two, trees?
Teacher would be the gig for summer golf. Do you play every day in the summer?

#6 is a 180 yard par 3 modeled after #12 at Augusta(http://www.augusta.com/masters/coursetour/hole12/)
My tee shot took a bad hop and went over the sand traps in back of the green into the trees. Knocked it out of the trees into the sand. The landing area on the green is narrow and small. This is the #2 handicap hole on the course and getting a birdie here is like stealing.

#7 has OB lining the left side of the fairway and went there on my tee shot.

I play 3-4 days a week in the summer. Hardly ever on the weekends...too crowded then.

Miles
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I had a pretty enjoyable round this morning. I was striking the ball fairly well but couldn't put for shit. Though it was extremely humid on the front 9.

The course was in incredible shape and they were preping it for some tournament this afternoon. The fairways were mowed nice and tight and they even dragged all the clipping away. I was geting some great spin on approach shots.

Phobia
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
I had a pretty enjoyable round this morning. I was striking the ball fairly well but couldn't put for shit. Though it was extremely humid on the front 9.

The course was in incredible shape and they were preping it for some tournament this afternoon. The fairways were mowed nice and tight and they even dragged all the clipping away. I was geting some great spin on approach shots.

Shutup TPC bitch.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 10:04 PM
#6 is a 180 yard par 3 modeled after #12 at Augusta(http://www.augusta.com/masters/coursetour/hole12/)
My tee shot took a bad hop and went over the sand traps in back of the green into the trees. Knocked it out of the trees into the sand. The landing area on the green is narrow and small. This is the #2 handicap hole on the course and getting a birdie here is like stealing.

#7 has OB lining the left side of the fairway and went there on my tee shot.

I play 3-4 days a week in the summer. Hardly ever on the weekends...too crowded then.

Well nice round, any birdies? No 12 at Augusta is a hell of a hole, isn't that part of Amen corner? Maybe not, memory sux.
On weekends we tee off early enough (6:15) so we do not have to deal with the crowds, damn they are backed up on the first tee when we are finishing at 10.

Sounds like a good time to play the TPC, lucky shit. :D

Shutup TPC bitch.
ROFL

Herzig
08-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Well nice round, any birdies? No 12 at Augusta is a hell of a hole, isn't that part of Amen corner? Maybe not, memory sux.
On weekends we tee off early enough (6:15) so we do not have to deal with the crowds, damn they are backed up on the first tee when we are finishing at 10.

Yep..2 birdies..both on par 5's...yep.#12 is a part of Amen Corner...your memory is pretty good.

mcan
08-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Wow. Really? I consider myself fairly accomplished at both sports (considering 3% break 90....) I'd say it's a lot more difficult to hit a line drive every time at bat than hit a fairway every time.... unless you're hitting softballs off a tee.

You'll have to excuse me... I think I just got sucked into an alternate dimension. Let me go check my closet really quick for a doorway to Narnia...

Nope...

I think one of us has to be a HUGE exception to a rule here. Either I truly am the WORST thing to ever hit a golf course, or you have some definciancy at hitting line drives. Honestly the idea that hitting a golf ball off a tee is somehow easier than hitting a slow pitched softball is as bewildering to me as internet connection issues...

Seriously, there is NOTHING in this world that takes longer to learn the BASIC concepts of. Even learning to WALK when I was a baby was easier, and took less practice. Seriously, if I got shot in the head tomarrow, and was forced to learn to walk again... Oh well, that sucks, but I'll get the basics pretty quickly and be back on my way in no time. But man, if I was a really great golfer and got shot in the head and had to learn to swing a club again, I'd be really pissed off.

Logical
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
and a glow in the dark target painted on your backCould a moderator do something about this username which screws up the screen formatting?

Herzig
08-12-2005, 06:08 AM
I think one of us has to be a HUGE exception to a rule here. Either I truly am the WORST thing to ever hit a golf course, or you have some definciancy at hitting line drives. Honestly the idea that hitting a golf ball off a tee is somehow easier than hitting a slow pitched softball is as bewildering to me as internet connection issues...

Seriously, there is NOTHING in this world that takes longer to learn the BASIC concepts of. Even learning to WALK when I was a baby was easier, and took less practice. Seriously, if I got shot in the head tomarrow, and was forced to learn to walk again... Oh well, that sucks, but I'll get the basics pretty quickly and be back on my way in no time. But man, if I was a really great golfer and got shot in the head and had to learn to swing a club again, I'd be really pissed off.

Yet, there are several here that will argue with you that golf is not a sport(even though as defined in Webster's Dictionary it is). They simply claim it is just getting up there and hitting a ball. Wish it were that easy.

HemiEd
08-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Yet, there are several here that will argue with you that golf is not a sport(even though as defined in Webster's Dictionary it is). They simply claim it is just getting up there and hitting a ball. Wish it were that easy.

If it was easy, we would not find as much satisfaction on the good rounds.
Being an avid golfer I would like to think it is a sport, just not as athletic as most. It is hard to argue that it is athletic when you look at the breasts on Phil Mickelson and the girth on John Daly. :)
However, I think Tiger is as fit as any athlete.

Skip Towne
08-12-2005, 06:47 AM
If it was easy, we would not find as much satisfaction on the good rounds.
Being an avid golfer I would like to think it is a sport, just not as athletic as most. It is hard to argue that it is athletic when you look at the breasts on Phil Mickelson and the girth on John Daly. :)
However, I think Tiger is as fit as any athlete.
Yeah, and look who's winning.

philfree
09-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Third win of the year! Two 4-man scrambles and today was a 2-man member guest at Hickory Hills C.C. with my 76 yer old daddy. Together we're 120 years old and we shot 63. As a grown man it became emotional for me as things unfolded. As we kicked the door open with what I thought was a chance to win I saw the chance for something special to happen and I knew we could win it. Because of my dads age and what golf means to both of us I played the last handfull of holes hiding the tears in my eyes from our playing partners which was my uncle and my older cousin. I knew what I was about to do on every shot and the thought of winning with my dad was overwhelming. I birdied the last four holes and closed the deal. It was as sweet a thing as I can ever remember being a part of.

Phobia
09-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Awesome. Congrats Phil.

philfree
09-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Awesome. Congrats Phil.

Thanks man...... The round of golf today probably meant more then any round I've ever played. As the round unfolded I felt like me and my old man would probably never have the chance to best the field ever again and I became nails and took it to the house. As proud of myself as I am I know he's even prouder and ....oh hell now I gonna have to go do another shot of jack before....... :) Oh hell :) Special day.....Very Special Day :)

stevieray
09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Third win of the year! Two 4-man scrambles and today was a 2-man member guest at Hickory Hills C.C. with my 76 yer old daddy. Together we're 120 years old and we shot 63. As a grown man it became emotional for me as things unfolded. As we kicked the door open with what I thought was a chance to win I saw the chance for something special to happen and I knew we could win it. Because of my dads age and what golf means to both of us I played the last handfull of holes hiding the tears in my eyes from our playing partners which was my uncle and my older cousin. I knew what I was about to do on every shot and the thought of winning with my dad was overwhelming. I birdied the last four holes and closed the deal. It was as sweet a thing as I can ever remember being a part of.

That is great!

Congrats to you and your Dad.

Phobia
09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks man...... The round of golf today probably meant more then any round I've ever played. As the round unfolded I felt like me and my old man would probably never have the chance to best the field ever again and I became nails and took it to the house. As proud of myself as I am I know he's even prouder and ....oh hell now I gonna have to go do another shot of jack before....... :) Oh hell :) Special day.....Very Special Day :)

You should go hug a female member of the family long and hard now.

philfree
09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
You should go hug a female member of the family long and hard now.

I stopped and saw my Lil'Sis and did just that but as usual my wife just don't get it. Like that's a shocker :rolleyes: I wasn't about her I guess so :) I am in a very huggy mood though.......

HemiEd
08-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Hey, I defended and won the "Ten Man Shootout" again.

My favorite event, start out with ten guys for nine holes and one drops out each hole with the worst score. I shot 38 at the course in the thread header and drank five beers. :D

ROYC75
08-09-2006, 09:29 PM
FWIW, for those who know me, I use to play alot, like 5 -6 times per week. Since I have been having trouble with my knee and the wife's illness, I have played twice since last November. It was in fact the last 2 weeks, on a Thursday night.

The 1st time out, I haven't played since November, drove the ball perfectly down the middle of the fairway. The guys are telling me I haven't lost my touch. I'm playing it off telling them it's all downhill from there knowing it's just a matter of time before the pain kicks in.
2nd shot, on the green above the pin top left, about 25 feet. Big break, left to right, dropped that bitch in the hole. 2 of the guys with us I haven't played with before, didn't know them were telling me I was either lucky or holding out and not telling the truth about playing.

Next hole, big ol slice.... OB, yep, back to earth, a triple bogey. 1 under to 2 over, just like that.

Par the next 2 holes and then bogey # 5....... 3 over after 5, not bad. But the pain had started, I could feel it.Choked down the meds, keep on playing.

# 6 double
# 7 triple
# 8 double
# 9 chipping 30 ' for eagle , hit the stick and stops 4 inches from the hole, birdie........ 9 over. Yep, by the 9th hole, the meds kicked in a little.

It sucked as those 3 holes killed my score. FTR, I hurt like hell the next day after 9 holes, even riding a cart.

HemiEd
08-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Wow, Roy, is there any hope of ever getting rid of the pain source? :hmmm:

ROYC75
08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow, Roy, is there any hope of ever getting rid of the pain source? :hmmm:

A knee replacement for starters.

The feet, not sure, with the bad arches, we haven't found any inserts that makes them feel good. I have been to 2 different doc's on the feet, but keep in mind the toes were 1st degree frostbit in 1995. I do have some nerve damage in them.

The disk in my back needs to be taken out , fixed, something.

Other than that, a new body would work well, but I probally wouldn't have the swing for golf then.

joesomebody
08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm going Saturday. First time in Utah that I haven't played on the base course. I'm not good, but damn is it fun. I'm getting better though... no longer do I consider a triple bogey a good hole... I've moved on to double bogeys being acceptable and a bogey a good hole.

HemiEd
08-09-2006, 09:42 PM
A knee replacement for starters.

The feet, not sure, with the bad arches, we haven't found any inserts that makes them feel good. I have been to 2 different doc's on the feet, but keep in mind the toes were 1st degree frostbit in 1995. I do have some nerve damage in them.

The disk in my back needs to be taken out , fixed, something.

Other than that, a new body would work well, but I probally wouldn't have the swing for golf then.

I admire you for trying to play with all those problems, and certainly hope it improves.
Maybe Rich Scanlon could intervene on your behalf. :D