PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this to me...

bobbything
08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
I will say that most of the media is picking KC to win the West, while most fans (other than Chiefs fans) are picking them to finish last.

It's very strange to see such a difference of opinion. I've lurked around a number of message boards and found that most people picking KC to finish last refuse to acknowledge the defensive improvements, while these same people are picking Oakland to win, or finish second in the division without any defensive improvements.

It's very hypocritical. KC has no chance because, while their offense is good, their defense is awful. However, Oakland, all because of Randy Moss, will finish 1st in the West, in spite of their awful, awful defense.

It just doesn't make sense.

morphius
08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I thought all the experts were picking us to finish last as well.

Rain Man
08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Maybe they think that losing Napoleon Harris and Phillip Buchanan improves the Raid ers defense.

jynni
08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
From what I've been reading it seems like most of the media is picking KC to finish last. They've been all over Randy Moss's jock.

bobbything
08-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know. I just read 4 articles that all had the Chiefs finishing 1st with an 11-5 record.

cadmonkey
08-11-2005, 09:22 AM
I really love how people are saying how good the readiers are now that they have Moss. Moss and Porter still need a QB to throw them and not the DB's. Collins might throw 30 TD's but he'll still throw 30 INT's.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-11-2005, 09:25 AM
It just doesn't make sense.
People.... especially fans of other teams..... are just stupid. The good thing is that once the season gets started it won't matter what anyone said in pre-season.

Katipan
08-11-2005, 09:26 AM
you know the Chiefs will have to prove their defense before any fans from other teams will even look twice at them.

Hoover
08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Its all hit and miss. I think the entire division is up for Grabs.

If Oakland's offense was as good as the Chiefs in 2003 heck they could finish 13-3

Denver could be very good, or not so good. They didn't do anything flashy this offseason, but if they stay healthy, and Plummer has a year like last year, they could win the division.

San Diago, I would put them as the favorites to win the division. I think they have all the peices.

Chiefs, They will be better, should ge great with the Additions to the D, but the Offense is getting older.

All that said, I think 2 teams from the west wil be in the playoffs. I think the Chiefs will be one of those teams

bobbything
08-11-2005, 09:36 AM
I don't disagree with any of that. I think the Chargers are probably the favorite, with the Chiefs and Broncos pushing for 2nd, and Oakland in cellar.

I just don't see how people can predict Oakland to win the division with all their defensive woes that they didn't address, while predicting KC to finish last when they did the exact opposite. It seems hypocritical.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I don't disagree with any of that. I think the Chargers are probably the favorite, with the Chiefs and Broncos pushing for 2nd, and Oakland in cellar.

I just don't see how people can predict Oakland to win the division with all their defensive woes that they didn't address, while predicting KC to finish last when they did the exact opposite. It seems hypocritical.
Oakland COULD have a scary good offense.... of course we know how that goes with a shit defense.....

Chiefnj
08-11-2005, 09:41 AM

Other than Oakland fans, who is predicting them to win the division?

bobbything
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Other than Oakland fans, who is predicting them to win the division?
It was an NFL forum I was lurking on. Fans from all over.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Opinions, are just that. We were favored to win last year.

ENDelt260
08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Opinions, are...

...not like assholes. http://www.tuckermax.com/shittiesthookup.html

Bob Dole
08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
It's all about Randy Moss.

If the Raiders had drafted Matt Jones, they'd be a lock for the Superbowl.

stumppy
08-11-2005, 11:11 AM
You have to keep in mind that you are used to posting on a BB where the majority of members are very knowledgeable when it comes to football. When you go outside of our little community you encounter your average football fan. People who are easily swayed by hype. The way I see it your average fan probably sees it like this.

1. Oakland- WOW, Oakland got Randy Moss in the offseason. Shit, Randy Moss, I mean wow, damn Randy Moss man. Hell, they were just in the Super Bowl a couple years ago. Randy Moss is probably all they need to get back to the top. Damn, Randy Moss!!!! Wish my team would have got him.

2. San Diego- They did real good last year. And they still have LT. Not to mention Phillip Rivers just in case anything happens to Brees. And Gates, he's the best TE in the league ya know.

3.Denver- At least they still have Jake Plummer. That guy is the bomb. Too bad he was on such a shitty team in AZ. all those years. I Just can't see much of a defense though. All I see is a new defensive line. I mean literally, thats all I see. Where's there secondary ? Huh? What? You mean all those short little fuggs out there are the secondary ?ROFL

4. K.C.- There Def. has always sucked, last in the eague for the ast 10 years. Now that Morton is gone who do they have on offense ? Priest Holmes always gets hurt. And Tony G. is ok but he's no Antonio Gates or Jeremy Shockey.

bobbything
08-11-2005, 11:20 AM
You're proabably right. It's almost as if they aren't taking anything into account when making a prediction. I really don't take issue with someone predicting the Chiefs to finish near the bottom, but for the exact same reasons these people are doing so, they're picking the Rai ders to finish at the top.

Stupidness.

stumppy
08-11-2005, 11:38 AM
For example, I got to talking to a guy about the Chiefs last year around this time. He too was a Chiefs fan. We both talked about being excited that the season was about to start. I was expressing my anticipation of a division title and my hopes for the defense with Gunther back when he piped in with " If we could only get a decent QB we'd have a chance ".

:spock:

The guy even had a TG jersey on.

PS

You think it ain't about hype ? Look at the banner at the top of this page.

OOPS, both of them were ad's for Moss jerseys.

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
...not like assholes. http://www.tuckermax.com/shittiesthookup.html

:Lin:

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm in the heart of Raider terrirory an know a boat load of Raiders fans. I have not heard one of them pick the Raiders to win the division. A slight majority have been picking the Chiefs followed closely by the Chargers. Donx fans still think they will take it though. The Charger fans here have seemed pretty hopeful but haven't been cocky at all.

kcjayhawks5
08-11-2005, 01:03 PM
the guys on NFL LIVE picked KC to finish first.

KingPriest2
08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Most of the boards I have been to is the Chiefs coming in first or second.

The Mane and the Charger boards.

What boards are you going to?

redhed
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
It's very simple. Oaktown= Big media market, fickle fans.

The faids need all the pre-season hype to hold the attn of their fan base, because when the reg season rolls around and the faids suck again, there will be many empty seats in their stadium again. They gotta have something to put butts in the seats (if only for the first half of the season).
It's all about da hype.
Baby.

whoman69
08-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I still have to believe that the Chargers did it all with smoke and mirrors last year. They should just pack it up now, because even if they make the playoffs, Marty will be sure they are one and done like he does every year.
The Raiders supposedly have played addition by subtraction on the defensive side of the ball. The fact that they are the only team that had a worse D than we did last year will all be cured by switching to a 4-3. Has anyone forgotten that Lamont Jordan is not a proven starter? He'll be great. Kerry Collins is ripe for another...uh...great...uh...year. Its the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Lucy, hold this ball for me. I'm going to kick it to the moon.

KChiefsQT
08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
This may have been already posted... but I like it.
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/2005_nfl_preview.htm#afc_west

AFC West

The most exciting division in the NFL just gets better with new signings all around and rivalries that are tougher than any other division. These divisional games are all absolute wars. We think Kansas City has made the most improvement with a passel of signings on defense and they return every skilled starter again on offense. the defense has a huge chip on its collective shoulder and if the newcomers are close to their billing there may be a whole lot of lopsided games involving the Chiefs. San Diego had a wonderful season last year and is not a one year wonder, we just think the Chiefs will have too much balance to be overcome although this will be a tight race. Oakland made huge strides on offense with everyone's favorite WR Randy Moss in the Gold and Black they will be a lot of fun to watch, but will be much like the Chiefs of last year scoring a lot of points but giving up more. The Broncos will take a step back. Signing the castoff entire DL from Cleveland is not what most would consider a step forward, and Jake Plummer continues to make boneheaded decisions at times. No team in this division will be bad and there will probably only be 2 games separating top from bottom.

Our divisional pick: Kansas City Chiefs

Team Previews presented by FreeSportsLetter.com
1. Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs have decided that they are tired of being defensive doormats. Team President Carl Peterson decided to let it all hang out and went crazy on defense in free agency and the draft...more
2. San Diego Chargers
Finally, hell froze over.
From 4-12 to 12-4. Football hasn't been this fun in San Diego since Air Coryell. In a lot of ways what the Chargers are doing is unfair as after that turnaround they got two first round draft picks again this year....more
3. Oakland Raiders
There remains in our minds the possibility that Norv Turner did something in a previous life to deserve this. First he has to deal with Dan Snyder and now its the magic ride in Oakland....more
4. Denver Broncos
Maybe it's just us, or maybe its the lack of oxygen in Denver, but we cant begin to understand what the heck Mike Shanahan is doing. For the second successive year, Denver's season ended in a blowout in Indianapolis. And for the second successive offseason, the Broncos traded their leading rusher in an attempt to bolster its defense....more

AFC North│AFC South│AFC East│AFC

HemiEd
08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
This may have been already posted... but I like it.
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/2005_nfl_preview.htm#afc_west

AFC West

Oakland made huge strides on offense with everyone's favorite WR Randy Moss in the Gold and Black they will be a lot of fun to watch, but will be much like the Chiefs of last year scoring a lot of points but giving up more.

I did not know they were changing from Silver. :spock:

KChiefsQT
08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I did not know they were changing from Silver. :spock:

hmmm... maybe a typo?