PDA

View Full Version : Key game of the year! No, not Sunday! Week 3 vs. Chargers!

Coogs
09-01-2000, 11:53 AM
This is just my final pre-season thoughts on the season at hand...

I am having a hard time picturing us winning the first 2 games. I know a lot of you don't put any stock in the preseason games, but I can't get the vision of all the teams 1st unit offenses ripping our 1st unit defense for 6, 8, 10 yards a play, out of my mind. That, coupled with 1 TD out of our 1st unit offense, just doesn't leave me with a good feeling about playing the Colts and Titans.

Therefore, I see game 3 against the Chargers as the make or break game of the season. I watched the Chargers play a couple of games this preseason, and their defense looks very strong again. I also see Leaf as being the best QB in the AFC West this season, (keep in mind most teams would have selected Leaf ahead of Manning) as he appears to have grown up a lot over the last year. Arrowhead is also the site of his meltdown as a rookie, and I expect him to come in here with something to prove. If we don't tighten up our defense these first 2 games against the Colts and Titans, I fear game 3 could be more of a sruggle than most of us think. Should we lose that game also...

This is just my opinion on what I saw in the preseason. I don't think we can have a cure all fix in one week on both sides of the ball, but I wouldn't mind been proven wrong Sunday.

Chiefnj
09-01-2000, 12:02 PM
The homer in me says that we have an outside shot at beating the Colts if we pound away at them in the heat. I agree on your take about the Titans. We aren't a great road team and they are really good, which brings us to week 3.

I do think San Diego is dangerous because of their defense, but to give Cryin' Ryan so much credit before he has taken the field this season, is, in my opinion, unfounded. Could he develop into the QB that SD thought he was coming out of college, perhaps. It is often the mental aspect of the game which is the toughest to overcome/master - Jeff George was never able to get it together despite all of his physical skills. I just can't picture Leaf being an overnight leader.

Coogs
09-01-2000, 12:30 PM
Chiefnj

I agree on the George sentiment towards Leaf mentally. There could be some real common ground between those 2. I just saw him play against the Falcons, where if I remember correctely he didn't throw an incompletion (something like 9-9), and the Cards (where he had a pick and a few incoompletes). Overall in those 2 games he was rather impressive. With our weak pass D, I don't know...

hawaiianboy
09-01-2000, 04:48 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Coogs assessment of Leaf.... I think he'll have a big year and a great career...
he has all the physical tools and I can see that since he's been knocked down a peg, his maturity level is catching up some to his physical abilities.... heck, he reminds me of that dumbazz Terry Bradshaw in alot of ways.....

------------------

"Those who want respect ...... give respect"
[b]Tony Soprano</B>

KC Jones
09-02-2000, 06:13 AM
Coogs,

I agree with you to an extent. We are so outmatched in these first two games that any win will be a major upset. People shouldn't bail on the Chiefs and jump on the bashwagon, but people are fickle and they will. So I think the Chiefs have to at least keep it close and play well in one of these games in order to come into week 3 with any confidence. Of course if the fans trun on our team, maybe it will give them that 'circle the wagons' mentality and help them focus. I'm really strecthing there.

------------------
... Remember when you're feeling very small and insecure how amazingly unlikely is your birth, and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'coz there's bugger all down here on earth.

kcred
09-02-2000, 06:46 AM
Coogs, I agree Week 3 could tell us whether we are a playoff contender or #1 pick contender. I have been concerned with the lack of production on both sides of the ball, this whole preseason, yet today, on the eve of the season, I find myself buying into this only preseason jargon. Our DBs are young, with the exception of Hasty, but if they can hang with Indianapolis and the Titans, by the 3rd week they could be battle tested enough, to carry us to a win in our weak division. If they aren't producing by that time, I just don't see our offense winning many 30 point shootouts.

kcred
09-04-2000, 10:52 AM
This was buried on the 3rd or 4th page, so I revived it, as, to me, it has a lot more relevance now, after the first game. I believe now, after watching the Chiefs, this game is absolutely paramount in winning. For the Chiefs to even think playoffs, they have to win the AFC West. And although the Chiefs did not look that good yesterday, I believe they do have a chance. A loss here at home against the Chargers, may send us into the abyss with the Seahawks.

Packfan
09-04-2000, 12:42 PM
The Chiefs will start off 1-3, which is what most of the knowledgeable fans predicted. By then, some of the malcontents might hang it up and go through the motions. However, in this piss poor divison (AFC West), anything is possible. Yesterday was a good example of the caliber of teams in that division. Four teams combined for 29 points.
ANYBODY can win that division. The Chiefs finish their season favorbly. It will take a road win in Atlanta to make the playoffs.

Brock
09-04-2000, 12:56 PM
Looks like it will determine who the cellar-dweller is going to be.