PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink oklahoma joe's

Demonpenz
08-12-2005, 02:28 AM
I pretty much never eat out, but today we had oklahoma joes at work. I ususally lift during lunch so i grabbed some in a hurry to take back to my cube. it was good stuff even without the sauce. I might have to tackle jack stack one of these days. Also i won a free xbox today. I love how life is its like a roller coster

sucks not
sucks b
sucks a
d
!

Saulbadguy
08-12-2005, 06:46 AM
I went there last weekend. Sauce wasn't great, fries sucked, but everything else was great. Its pretty cheap too compared to Bryants or Jack Stack. I'd definately go again.

BigRedChief
08-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Thats pretty much the opinion of the vast majority of BBQ lovers. The meat is good at Oklahoma Joes and the sauce is very average. Gates has good sauce and great meat. Bryants and Jack Stack puts it all together great sauce and great meat.

Skip Towne
08-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Where is Oklahoma Joe's?

Ralphy Boy
08-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Aw man. I thought this was gonna be a scratch and sniff thread.

Death Nebula
08-12-2005, 08:26 AM
There is a new one out here on 119th/I-35......made my first appearance there a couple of weeks ago...just doesn't capture the ambiance of the gas station though...

homey
08-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Uh, what? Oklahoma Joe's got the best sauce in town, Arthur Bryant's got the best meat. I'll take that molasses based sauce any day. Besides, you've got to get the onion rings.

beavis
08-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Thats pretty much the opinion of the vast majority of BBQ lovers. The meat is good at Oklahoma Joes and the sauce is very average. Gates has good sauce and great meat. Bryants and Jack Stack puts it all together great sauce and great meat.
Are you sure you didn't eat at Oklahoma John's or something? You guys are warped. Okie Joe's has the best everything.

I don't see how you could say the fatty slab of lard they shovel out to you at Gates is the best meat in town. The only thing that saves them is their sauce.

beavis
08-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Uh, what? Oklahoma Joe's got the best sauce in town, Arthur Bryant's got the best meat. I'll take that molasses based sauce any day. Besides, you've got to get the onion rings.
Yeah, what he said. Here's how I'd rank my favorites.

1. Oklahoma Joe's
2. Arthur Bryants
3. KC Masterpiece
4. Gates

Phobia
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, what he said. Here's how I'd rank my favorites.

1. Oklahoma Joe's
2. Arthur Bryants
3. KC Masterpiece
4. Gates

You're on crack. The fact that KC Masterpiece is even in anybody's top 20 means you've either only been to 4 BBQ joints or you're just retarded....

beavis
08-12-2005, 09:19 AM
You're on crack. The fact that KC Masterpiece is even in anybody's top 20 means you've either only been to 4 BBQ joints or you're just retarded....
Yeah right. Probably put ketchup on your steak don't you? Anyone who thinks any other joint can come close to Masterpiece's meat doesn't know what BBQ is.

Phobia
08-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Wow. Wow.

eazyb81
08-12-2005, 09:36 AM

ROFL I gotta agree, Masterpiece is the BBQ tourist trap, I can't see how any KC native would go to that place, let alone like it.

Here is my top 4:

1. Jack Stack
2. Gates (best sauce on the planet)
3. Smokehouse
4. Arthur Bryant's

SLAG
07-30-2010, 02:28 AM
so in the last week i've eaten at

OK Joes on Mon Night

Jackstack on Wed. Night (for work)

Ok Joes for Lunch Today (for work)

and Ok Joes for dinner..

I think my hands permanently smell like BBQ

And is it wrong that I want another Zman right now

Chocolate Hog
07-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Oklahoma Joes
Arthur Bryants
Gates
7th street BBQ
Famous Daves

Predarat
07-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Is Okie Joes in Olathe?

bevischief
07-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Is Okie Joes in Olathe?

Yes they have a place there.

rageeumr
07-30-2010, 06:44 AM
fries sucked

Seriously? OK Joe's has amazing fries. I think they might be the best I've ever had. I love the seasoning. I always feel like I should get a more "BBQ friendly" side, but I can't pass up those fries. And they give you a 5-gallon bucket of them, too.

LaChapelle
07-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Demonpenz is a nooner klepto

blaise
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
I love Ok Joes. The only thing I ever order is the pulled pork though, so that's all I can vouch for.

suds79
07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I love Ok Joes. The only thing I ever order is the pulled pork though, so that's all I can vouch for.

I'll have to try the pulled pork.

Ok Joes has my fav ribs. Just basically everything you could ever want in them. Super smokey, tender and great flavor.

Try em out.

CHENZ A!
07-30-2010, 08:24 AM
1. Arthur Bryants
2. Gates
3. OK Joes

That's the top 3, but there are a bunch of other really good bbq joints in kc as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consistent1
07-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Fuck da damn food, dis fo' say he won X-Box. Can ya'll read?

Duck Dog
07-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I've never had 'great' meat at Gates. Always fatty as hell. OK Joe's has a very good brisket and sausage sandwich. I just wish I could get Wyandott BBQ's hot pickles everywhere.

sedated
07-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Famous Daves

I don't consider myself a BBQ snob, but that place is an abomination.

And I think KC Masterpiece has been closed for a while now. I never had issue with their meat, but the overly sweet sauce was just too much.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Agreed, it sucks.

beer bacon
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
For me it is:

1) OK Joes - Pulled pork sandwich and some gumbo
2) Jack's Stack - Everything is great
3) Zarda's - Mostly because I like having some cheese soup with my bbq

I haven't been to Arthur Bryants for a while. Also the Wabash out in Excelsior Springs has excellent ribs.

Dave Lane
07-30-2010, 09:39 AM
1. Arthur Bryants
2. Gates
3. OK Joes

That's the top 3, but there are a bunch of other really good bbq joints in kc as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Throw in LCs as #4 and Haywards as #5 and you have my list

boogblaster
I want some BBQ ... wwwwwaaaaaaaaaa

dirk digler
Oklahoma Joe's is the fucking best BBQ in KC IMVHO

Demonpenz
07-30-2010, 10:10 AM
ok I was 25 and just starting to make more than the 5 dollars an hour I got in college, More than likely I was on some sort of diet mountain dew and Booze trip when I posted this.

NewChief
07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
I know most are aware but OK Joe's made Anthony Bourdain's list of top places to eat in the world. I'm not talking top BBQ joints. Or best in the US. It was one of the top 20 places to eat a meal on the entire planet. And yes I know that's just the opinion of an old druggie new York chef, but Bourdain does know his food and has eaten at a lot of badass places.

PunkinDrublic
07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
I know most are aware but OK Joe's made Anthony Bourdain's list of top places to eat in the world. I'm not talking top BBQ joints. Or best in the US. It was one of the top 20 places to eat a meal on the entire planet. And yes I know that's just the opinion of an old druggie new York chef, but Bourdain does know his food and has eaten at a lot of badass places.

Bourdain is awesome I love his show and Kitchen Confidential is a great book.

CHENZ A!
07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Throw in LCs as #4 and Haywards as #5 and you have my list

Agreed. I love Haywards, it is really underrated. LC's is the bomb too, and real convenient to pick up before a Royals game.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM

I was pretty sure he had said that about Bryants at one time? Could be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
07-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah, FDs is a joke, its only for tourists. I got the chicken and rib combo, and the chicken was aight but the ribs were garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device

wildcat09
07-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Anybody eat at Brobecks off Roe and 435? I have a bottle of their sauce in my fridge at all times. Here are my favs.....

1. Oklahoma Joes
2. Jack Stack
3. Brobecks
4. RJ's (Lamar and Johnson Dr.)

I haven't been to Bryant's in a while so I think I need to re-introduce myself.

I travel a lot for work and I try to sample BBQ wherever I go. I have found a couple places in OK that aren't half bad. Here are a few in case you guys make it through.....keep in mind none of these places compare to KC BBQ

1. Bad Brads (Stillwater and Yukon)
2. Smokey Pokey (Stillwater)
3. Mahlon's (Muskogee)
4. My Place (Muskogee)
5. Earl's Rib Palace (OKC)

wildcat09
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, FDs is a joke, its only for tourists. I got the chicken and rib combo, and the chicken was aight but the ribs were garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device

FD sucks balls.......my carpet is as tender as their ribs.

Chocolate Hog
07-30-2010, 10:45 AM
You all talk about Famous Daves like it was Wyandotte bbq. Now that place sucks.

PunkinDrublic
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's a question for everybody that I was going to post in a seperate thread.
How do you rank the BBQ regions? Mine is.

1. KC
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. Carolina

sedated
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
4. RJ's (Lamar and Johnson Dr.)

i went there once because I heard they had a great breakfast. I still had to get the Q though, and I wasn't impressed. But the breakfast was damn good, and the place has a decent atmosphere - not quite like a BBQ shack, more like a roadhouse. And they let you get ribs at 8am.

I wonder if Johnny's BBQ near Johnson Dr and Metcalf is still in business. That was my favorite as a kid.

CHENZ A!
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
BB's Lawnside has some good ribs too
Posted via Mobile Device

Monty
07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Here's a question for everybody that I was going to post in a seperate thread.
How do you rank the BBQ regions? Mine is.

1. KC
2. Memphis
3. Texas
4. Carolina

That's accurate IMO.

There's also another place called Smoking Guns that I was told about awhile back. Heard it was good, anybody eaten there?

Silock
07-30-2010, 11:19 AM
ok I was 25 and just starting to make more than the 5 dollars an hour I got in college, More than likely I was on some sort of diet mountain dew and Booze trip when I posted this.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh? ;)

Silock
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Technically it was top 10 :)

Pants
07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
I love everything they have to offer except their ribs. OK Joe's Pulled pork sammich is one of the tastiest things on planet Earth.

Silock
07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives did an episode about KC BBQ recently, and they went to 3 places I've never even heard of.

Smokin' Guns
RJ's
Woodyard

beer bacon
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM
BB's Lawnside has some good ribs too
Posted via Mobile Device

BB's ribs with green beans and onion rings is a fine meal.

SLAG
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives did an episode about KC BBQ recently, and they went to 3 places I've never even heard of.

Smokin' Guns
RJ's
Woodyard

I thought they went to Johnnys

www.johnnysbbqkc.com

I like Johnnys cuz its pretty close to my house - but I still prefer OK Joes -

1- OK Joes
2- Jack Stack
3 - Johnnys

Dave Lane
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Johnnys is uneatable.

KCUnited
07-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Smokin' Guns
RJ's
Woodyard
Smokin' Guns and the Woodyard are on the same playing field as OK Joe's, they are among the best in the city.

Goldmember
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Are you sure you didn't eat at Oklahoma John's or something? You guys are warped. Okie Joe's has the best everything.

I don't see how you could say the fatty slab of lard they shovel out to you at Gates is the best meat in town. The only thing that saves them is their sauce.

this. When I get to town I used to head to Gates...their meat has gone done hill from years ago but their sauce is my favorite...then Jack Stack, overpriced but meat is good, sauce ok. OK Joes has the best overall IMO. Brisket is better than their ribs

Goldmember
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Where is Oklahoma Joe's?

Not in Oklahoma

Bearcat
07-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Just got back from Smokin' Guns... hadn't ever been there even though I've lived in the Northland for several years. Had the pulled pork and bbq beans and it was really good (kind of lacking on portions, but partly my fault for not specifying a large sandwich)... got there at 11:20 and the line was out the door (granted, the line itself wasn't nearly as long as when people are standing outside at OK Joe's).

bobbything
07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't see how anyone can complain about OKJoes fries. And Gates' meat is very hit or miss. It's either perfect, or incredibly fatty. They do have the best sauce IMO, though.

OKJoes pulled pork is possibly the best BBQ meal in the world. Brisket, pork, ribs, whatever. It's the best.

OPChief
07-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow. Arthur Bryants really really sucks. The meat is decent, but the sauce is pure motor oil.

Gats kicks ass- nothing better than that sauce, in my opinion.

Oklahoma Joe's is very good.

KC Masterpiece? Far worse than even Bryant's.

Jack's Stack- decent, but way overpriced, and very average sauce.

Archie F. Swin
07-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I went to Jacks Stack for the first time back in June. I felt like I needed to go home and shower off all the pretense.

The pulled pork at OK Joes is one of the best things I've ever locked a lip on.

CHENZ A!
07-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Wow. Arthur Bryants really really sucks. The meat is decent, but the sauce is pure motor oil.

Gats kicks ass- nothing better than that sauce, in my opinion.

Oklahoma Joe's is very good.

KC Masterpiece? Far worse than even Bryant's.

Jack's Stack- decent, but way overpriced, and very average sauce.

Bryants sucks? LMAO you crazy fool. You do know they have several different sauces right? But then again, sauce is only meant to compliment BBQ in my opinion, not drown out the flavor of the meat.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
07-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Smokin' Guns
RJ's
Woodyard

I'm not a huge BBQ guy, and don't live in KC, but I've heard of them.

Brock
07-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Wow, you have horrible taste.

Brainiac
07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I can't stand the sauce at Oklahoma Joe's. All of my co-workers love it, and they drag me there every now and then. The last couple of times I wound up putting ketchup on my bbq beef sandwich because I hate the sauce so much.

My favorites:

1. Rosedale
2. Zarda
3. Gates (on a day when the meat isn't 90% fat)
4. Bryant's

Sure-Oz
07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Zarda?? blah

Pioli Zombie
07-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Best meat. That tight black womans cunt from 2008
Best sauce. That tight black womans cunt from 2008

Good times.

Ebolapox
07-30-2010, 08:39 PM
while we're on the subject, I've always enjoyed rosedale's. it's not as good as bryant's or ok joe's, but it's pretty damned good.

wildcat09
07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
anybody got some Bates City BBQ love? $10.99 rack of ribs everyday and the fries are awesome.

thurman merman
08-01-2010, 01:05 AM
I went there last weekend. Sauce wasn't great, fries sucked

WTF?

Sure-Oz
08-01-2010, 01:08 AM
I went there last weekend. Sauce wasn't great, fries sucked, but everything else was great. Its pretty cheap too compared to Bryants or Jack Stack. I'd definately go again.

I'm surprised the fries sucked, like the sauce and the fries normally are one of the best things. I went today and it was packed out the door at like 3 pm, had to leave due to short time, was kinda pissed.

Dunit35
08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Best sauce available for online purchase?

Gates, Bryants, Jack Stack?

kcfanXIII
08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
IMO, Gates has the best sauce in kc. unfortunately their meat has gone down hill, again, JMO.

Reaper16
08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Smokin' Guns and the Woodyard are on the same playing field as OK Joe's, they are among the best in the city.
This is very true and I was pissed at the episode of DD&D for making the lines at Woodyard and Smokin' Guns miserable for like three weeks.

Dunit35
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
IMO, Gates has the best sauce in kc. unfortunately their meat has gone down hill, again, JMO.

I guess my father can get Gates at the local wal mart in his town in kansas.

She thinks head and country is the best ever...never had KC bbq.

Oklahoma Joes sells online too. I've only had Gates and loved it...but I'm determined to change her mind.

Reaper16
08-06-2010, 04:51 PM

Oklahoma Joes sells online too. I've only had Gates and loved it...but I'm determined to change her mind.
I actually dig Head Country sauce. My hometown place of Wabash BBQ (which is not good at all anymore, BTW) uses Head Country.

Dunit35
08-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Does anyone go to Oklahoma Joes, Jack Stack, and Arthur Bryants often?

Shipping from each website would be 6-7 bucks. That adds up to be too much for my tastes. If anyone is interested, I'd like to get a hold of some.

kcfanXIII
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM

don't let these guys deter you from ok joe's sauce. i really liked it. its a little sweet, but has a pop of flavor at the end.

Stewie
08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I can't stand the sauce at Oklahoma Joe's. All of my co-workers love it, and they drag me there every now and then. The last couple of times I wound up putting ketchup on my bbq beef sandwich because I hate the sauce so much.

My favorites:

1. Rosedale
2. Zarda
3. Gates (on a day when the meat isn't 90% fat)
4. Bryant's

WTF? OK Joe's has several sauces. Do you really eat at BBQ joints much?... and if you do are led around by the ring in your nose?

Sure-Oz
08-06-2010, 05:23 PM
don't let these guys deter you from ok joe's sauce. i really liked it. its a little sweet, but has a pop of flavor at the end.

I love the ok joes normal and night of the living bbq sauce alot, and i like gates 2nd

CHENZ A!
08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Does anyone go to Oklahoma Joes, Jack Stack, and Arthur Bryants often?

Shipping from each website would be 6-7 bucks. That adds up to be too much for my tastes. If anyone is interested, I'd like to get a hold of some.

I can get bryants and gates at the grocery store a block from my apt. Not sure if they sell jack stack or not because all I ever buy is AB's or gates. I can pick some up for you man, just figure out the cost and send me the money. You coming to any games this year?
Posted via Mobile Device

teedubya
08-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Yeah, I have a taken Gates BBQ sauce into Arthur Bryants before... but then again, i am a mother fucker.

I don't like Bryants BBQ sauce. Love their meat though.

Dunit35
08-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I can get bryants and gates at the grocery store a block from my apt. Not sure if they sell jack stack or not because all I ever buy is AB's or gates. I can pick some up for you man, just figure out the cost and send me the money. You coming to any games this year?
Posted via Mobile Device

I wish...have a wedding to save for. If prices are low like last time, maybe in November.

My father can get gates but no Bryants. I'd love to get some Bryants and Jack Stack if possible. Bryants sauces on their website are 3 for 32. Really cost that much?

Tylerthigpen!1!
08-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I wish...have a wedding to save for. If prices are low like last time, maybe in November.

My father can get gates but no Bryants. I'd love to get some Bryants and Jack Stack if possible. Bryants sauces on their website are 3 for 32. Really cost that much?

That does seem ridiculous just for some sauce. IIRC Jack Stack or another big name bbq sauce was ~$4. On a side note, does anyone else think Jack Stack is overrated? I would compare it to Zarda. Their sauce is their only redeeming factor and they are kinda cheap with it.

Reaper16
08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
That does seem ridiculous just for some sauce. IIRC Jack Stack or another big name bbq sauce was ~$4. On a side note, does anyone else think Jack Stack is overrated? I would compare it to Zarda. Their sauce is their only redeeming factor and they are kinda cheap with it.
Jack Stack is overrated (though their beans are forever the stuff of legend), but Zarda can't sniff Jack Stack's jock.

CHENZ A!
08-06-2010, 09:29 PM

I don't remember the exact price, but no way they're more than 5 apiece? I'll look into. It for ya. I hear you man, weddings are a pain in the ass. Hopefully tix aren't as cheap though cuz that would mean we're winning games!
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
08-06-2010, 09:31 PM
And yes, jack stack is good stuff, but overrated in my opinion. Their cheezy corn is the best thing they have.
Posted via Mobile Device

KChiefs1
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Bates City BBQ was fantastic the last time I was there.

Sure-Oz
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Zarda sucks

KChiefs1
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Jack Stack is overrated (though their beans are forever the stuff of legend), but Zarda can't sniff Jack Stack's jock.

The only thing I like at Zarda is their beans.

Chocolate Hog
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Seems like Zardas has gotten worse the last few years.