PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - No one can touch Roaf

Count Zarth
08-12-2005, 07:32 AM
No one can touch Roaf

JASON WHITLOCK

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — In the history of the Kansas City Chiefs, Willie Roaf might be the franchise’s most dominant player.

No disrespect to Bobby Bell, Buck Buchanan, Willie Lanier or Len Dawson, but when Roaf retires, he’ll be the lone Chief who can claim he was the greatest ever to play the position.

I’m excluding kickers, and therefore Jan Stenerud, from the debate. Also, Joe Montana wasn’t a dominant player when he rented a Chiefs uniform for two years, so he doesn’t count.

It’s my opinion that if a poll were taken of Hall of Fame voters, Lawrence Taylor (outside linebacker), Dick Butkus (middle linebacker) and Mean Joe Greene (defensive tackle) would be named the most dominant players at the positions manned by Bell, Lanier and Buchanan.

At left tackle, Cincinnati’s Anthony Muñoz would be tabbed.

But Kansas City’s very own William Layout Roaf is challenging Muñoz’s throne.

Roaf, in my opinion, is better than Muñoz. All Willie lacks is the hype. The nine seasons he spent toiling in New Orleans prevented him from getting hyped by John Madden and all the other TV talking heads. Willie has played and started in 179 regular-season games, but he’s only participated in three playoff contests. He’s played on bad teams and hasn’t spent a lot of time on “Monday Night Football” or the big Sunday afternoon games.

Willie is a legend among NFL players, and a relative mystery to NFL fans.

“He’s respected around the league,” former Chief Rich Baldinger told me at practice Wednesday afternoon. “The players know.”

What do the players know?

“You don’t stand a chance against Willie on the run,” said Chiefs tight end Jason Dunn.

Yes, Roaf, a 10-time Pro Bowler, is a gifted pass protector. He plays left tackle; you have to pass block at a high level to play that position for 11 years. What puts Roaf on the same level as Muñoz is that Roaf is a devastating, punishing run blocker.

“I knew when I played against Muñoz I was going to have to take a week off because I knew it was going to be a battle that week,” said Chiefs defensive-line coach Carl Hairston, who played defensive end against Muñoz. “He played the game very physical. Physical-wise (Muñoz and Roaf) are about the same. I think athletically Willie might have an edge on Muñoz.”

Despite his ugly gimp to the line of scrimmage, despite a belly that reveals every pot of gumbo Roaf ever ate, Big Willie is extremely light on his feet and runs like an overweight deer.

“Willie is probably the best pulling tackle in football,” Hairston said. “You never saw Muñoz pull much. No way. Matter of fact, I don’t think he could have.”

Roaf was selected to the NFL’s 1990s all-decade team. His play hasn’t slipped in the new millennium. The TV broadcasters fall in love with a new left tackle every two or three years. A few years ago Jacksonville’s Tony Boselli was the next Anthony Muñoz. In recent years, Baltimore’s Jonathan Ogden was the new guy.

Boselli, of course, flamed out. Enhanced by years of weightlifting, Boselli could never recover from injuries. Ogden is an excellent player, but everyone saw Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Freeney put a clown suit on a banged-up Ogden. Roaf swallows Freeney when the Chiefs play Indy and picks his teeth with the rest of Indy’s defenders. Boselli and Ogden, USC and UCLA alums, were hyped as future Hall of Famers when they entered the league. Roaf was a right tackle from little Louisiana Tech when the Saints plucked him in the first round of the 1993 draft.

Roaf didn’t want to talk about his legacy on Wednesday.

“Man, I’m still playing,” said Roaf, who is entering his fourth season as a Chief. “I’m just trying to get ready for this season. It’s an honor for people to even mention me with a guy like Muñoz.”

Muñoz played on two Cincinnati teams that advanced to the Super Bowl. He played on 11 straight Pro Bowl teams. If the Chiefs make a Super Bowl run, the TV broadcasters will start comparing Roaf to Muñoz, and they’ll be surprised to learn that Roaf just might be better.

“This guy is probably the most explosive big man to play this game,” said Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil. “Performance-wise I don’t think there’s a coach that’s ever coached against (Roaf) that doesn’t put him in that category (with Muñoz).

“He won’t need any help getting where he’s going.”

Vermeil was referring to the Hall of Fame.

Simplex3
08-12-2005, 07:50 AM
When he stays on topic and leaves his ego at home his articles are interresting. Shame that's only about 10% of the time.

As for Roaf, I remember a play (probably 7 or more years ago) where the NO QB threw a pick and the DB was sprinting down the sidelines only to get caught, from behind, by Roaf. That dude can move.

Count Zarth
08-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah I thought this was a good article by Fatlock. The Hairston stuff gives it real credibility. And I was hoping he'd enter the Freeney bit.

I don't know if Roaf is better than Orlando Pace, though.

KCTitus
08-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Dang...I was hoping Jason would follow through and opine that KC was finished because they didnt sign Law.

StcChief
08-12-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah I thought this was a good article by Fatlock. The Hairston stuff gives it real credibility. And I was hoping he'd enter the Freeney bit.

I don't know if Roaf is better than Orlando Pace, though.
Pace. you must be kidding.

This guy is due to flame out in the next few years.

He wont have the staying power or pure ability as Roaf long term.

His contract issues and BS with Rams. Make him a cancer in STL.

Count Zarth
08-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Pace. you must be kidding.

This guy is due to flame out in the next few years.

He wont have the staying power or pure ability as Roaf long term.

His contract issues and BS with Rams. Make him a cancer in STL.

You could be right, but right now I think Pace is better.

bringbackmarty
08-12-2005, 08:09 AM
in todays paper fatlock says shields is not in the same class with john hannah and larry allen. fatlock is a bitch, just like orlando pace.

Braincase
08-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Best story by Whitlock in a while.

DTLB58
08-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I watched him up at training camp this year. He and Will Shields and a couple other lineman that weren't practicing that session were running sprints. The man can move, he was out running all of them.

Ari Chi3fs
08-12-2005, 08:34 AM
great article on Roaf... that man is a beast... please stay healthy, beast.

ChiefsOne
08-12-2005, 09:00 AM
gochiefs You could be right, but right now I think Pace is better.

You should get neg rep for that!

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I like the "overweight deer" quip. I'm stealing that.

ptlyon
08-12-2005, 09:01 AM
That whole freakin line is the anchor of this football team.

Count Zarth
08-12-2005, 09:02 AM
gochiefs

You should get neg rep for that!

For voicing my opinion? What evidence do you have that Roaf is clearly better than Pace?

jidar1
08-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Good article. Probably right too.

Ralphy Boy
08-12-2005, 10:14 AM
When he stays on topic and leaves his ego at home his articles are interresting. Shame that's only about 10% of the time.

As for Roaf, I remember a play (probably 7 or more years ago) where the NO QB threw a pick and the DB was sprinting down the sidelines only to get caught, from behind, by Roaf. That dude can move.

Wow until you said that, I'd forgotten that I'd read a Twitlock article.

bringbackmarty
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
For voicing my opinion? What evidence do you have that Roaf is clearly better than Pace?
yikes, do you really want to go there? will pace go to nine straight pro bowls, or ten out of the last eleven? why did he take two years to get in the pro bowl for the first time and it took roaf only one? did pace go last year only because roaf was in a different conference? I agree pace can be dominant, but if you ask me who is overrated and who is underrated, iwould say pace is overrated, and roaf under, even with his nine consecutive pro bowls. Also how do you think warner got so fugged up with all his injuries? willie roaf wasn't protecting his blind side, pace was.

Count Zarth
08-12-2005, 10:41 AM
yikes, do you really want to go there? will pace go to nine straight pro bowls, or ten out of the last eleven? why did he take two years to get in the pro bowl for the first time and it took roaf only one? did pace go last year only because roaf was in a different conference? I agree pace can be dominant, but if you ask me who is overrated and who is underrated, iwould say pace is overrated, and roaf under, even with his nine consecutive pro bowls. Also how do you think warner got so fugged up with all his injuries? willie roaf wasn't protecting his blind side, pace was.

Warner got ****ed up because he held the ball too long, and the rest of their line wasn't that good.

I think you are letting your anti-Rams bias show. Pace is every bit as good as Roaf and much younger.

Simplex3
08-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Warner got ****ed up because he held the ball too long, and the rest of their line wasn't that good.

I think you are letting your anti-Rams bias show. Pace is every bit as good as Roaf and much younger.
I'd rather have Roaf's equipment in a pile at left tackle than Pace. That guy is a fat, obnoxious tool. Just like everything else that came out of Ohio State he's overrated and due to flame out any day now.

Saul Good
08-12-2005, 11:14 AM

That's insane. Warner made his mark by making the quickest decisions of any QB in the NFL. He came from the Arena League for cryin' out lout. You never see Warner take a 7 step drop, pat the ball twice, then take a sack. He broke his thumb. It's not like he's Rob Johnson who just stands there waiting to be hit. Pace couldn't carry Roaf's jock.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I like the "overweight beer". I'm stealing that.

Hey...where's my drink?

Hydrae
08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
You could be right, but right now I think Pace is better.

Walter Jones is better than Pace.