PDA

View Full Version : Clarett wants to be cut

Count Alex's Losses
08-12-2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CLARETT WANTS TO BE CUT

As it turns out, T.O. isn't the only guy who might be faking a groin injury.

A league source tells us that Broncos rookie running back Maurice Clarett's groin injury is, in reality, a response by Clarett to the fact that he was stuck at the bottom of the depth chart at tailback.

Mo-Clo's reasoning (tortured as it may be) is that he can't earn the incentives in that stoopid no-bonus contract if he isn't getting touches on Sundays, and that he can't get touches on Sundays in September and beyond if he isn't getting reps with the ones in training camp and preseason.

So his grand plan, per the source, is to cajole the team into cutting him, in the hopes that he'll end up somewhere else . . . as the starter.

If Clarett were to be released, he'd first pass through waivers, giving every team a crack at picking up the rights to his current contract. So in order to get paid beyond his $230,000 salary, he'd have to get to the top of the depth chart in his new town.

But that presumes he'll even get out of Denver. As our own Len Lasagna reported on Thursday, the Broncos eventually will put Clarett on injured reserve, squirreling him away for the 2005 season.

Whether that means Clarett gets a chance to win the starting gig in 2006 remains to be seen. We're hearing that Clarett is even more turdish in camp than the run-of-the-mill Bronco turd-jobs, and our guess is that the team eventually will tire of his routine.

When they do, of course, they'll be acknowledging that Coach Teflon's propensity for finding diamonds in the dregs of the draft had temporarily gone on hiatus when they handed in the card at the last pick in round three with Clarett's name on it.

Bwana
08-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Nice draft pick Rat. ROFL

shakesthecat
08-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Too funny.

It's gonna take the Donks a while to over come this years horrible draft.

siberian khatru
08-12-2005, 08:58 AM
"Len Lasagna"???

What a perfect name for PFT.

ct
08-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I call BS on this one.

KCFalcon59
08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
"Len Lasagna"???

What a perfect name for PFT.

His cousin is Rudy Rigatoni.

SNR
08-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Even though it is PFT, it's still funny as hell ROFL

Bob Dole
08-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Seems like Bob Dole heard a similar report somewhere else, too, so it may not just be PFT rumor mongering.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-12-2005, 09:26 AM
beautiful. Donk implosion in 3,2,1.....

carlos3652
08-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Guys, this really doesnt hurt the Donk's in any way other than getting a bad 3rd round draft pick, they are getting 2 #1's next year, so he will be forgotten by then...

Also salary cap wise, it doenst hurt them at all, this is all Clarstoopid's fault.

Again, not trying to defens the browncos on this one, because they will still suck, but the idiot here is Clarett for various reasons:

1. All Incentive Contract - Who the hell does this??? a 3rd round pick who will earn nothing. Because there is no way you can earn those incentives 2/3/4/ or even 5th on th Depth Chart
2. He gets Cut, he still has the same contract, and who wants a cancer in their locker room...
3. I think He will retire like White did, with 0 NFL years under him... the only difference is that White had 10 years under his belt in school and Clarret is a 2 year dropout....

This makes Carl's pickup in the 3rd round all that more justifiable I think (P= Starter)

KCTitus
08-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Im not sure, I may need to get a mod to rule on this, but I think joking about a Denver draft pick of a RB in a diminutive manner is a bannable offense around here.

Kyle401
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
If this is true, the irony is too sweet.

I do feel kind of bad for Clarrett though. I know he is an idiot and he is only getting what he deserves, but in a lot of ways the media has helped to influence what he is. I remember a ESPN the magazine that had him on the cover toward the end of his freshman year with an article about how he should be allowed in the NFL because he was an exception to the rule. BS about how he was physically and mentally ready for the pros. Heck most 18 year old kids getting that kind of attention from a major magazine are going to tend to believe their own hype. Then again he is ultimately responsible for his own decisions.

Kyle401
08-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Here's the cover:

http://www.blackathlete.com/Images/blackbox/mclarett21.jpg

The subtitle says "OSU's Maurice Clarett is Good Enough and Bad Enough to Crash The NFL Now, And He's only 18"

EDIT: Link to the article by Gene Wojciechowki published October 28, 2002 http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no22clarett.html

beavis
08-12-2005, 10:47 AM
This guy sure has a high opinion of himself for not having played a down in the NFL, or even having played competitively in 2 years.

Soupnazi
08-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Earth to Maurice: You suck. You're slow, you're a pansy, and with that 40 time you posted in the combine, you're lucky to be on any roster.

Something tells me that he's going to get his wish.

Demonpenz
08-12-2005, 11:07 AM
enjoy that six figure salery it won't be there for very long and the only thing you know how to do is play football so you better take a flyer on the cfl

Infidel Goat
08-12-2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.luds.net/galeries/nelson.gif

HA HA

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm going to have to agree with infidel goat on this one.

Goapics1
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
He's not this dumb, or is he? Besides, I am not seeing it on ESPN so I do not believe. If they are reporting it, it has to be true.

bringbackmarty
08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
if clarett wants to be cut, send him to the ravens, I'm sure ray ray would be glad to cut him.

chagrin
08-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Didn't he refuse his salary too?

Mile High Mania
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm going to wait until it's not a rumor...

Either way, much like I've said since they drafted him with a comp pick at the end of R3... I don't care much about what happens with Clarett.

ENDelt260
08-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Is there a source for this besides profootballtalk and Bob Dole's alcohol addled brain?

Mile High Mania
08-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Honestly, nothing shocks me anymore in sports... but, this would just make zero sense. Which is why it could be true...

vailpass
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Is there a source for this besides profootballtalk and Bob Dole's alcohol addled brain?

It's not in the Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, ESPN, CNNSI, FoxSportsNet or Sporting News.
That, and the fact that the person who posted this "article" knows as much about football as he does about getting laid makes me take wait-and-see on this one.

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't care if the story is fake, Infidel's post is awesome....and Clarrett is one of the worst picks ever...

Mile High Mania
08-12-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't care if the story is fake, Infidel's post is awesome....and Clarrett is one of the worst picks ever...

It's no where near the status of a SlyMo or Marcus Nash pick just yet...

vailpass
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Cough...Ryan Sims...cough

morphius
08-12-2005, 02:15 PM
SlyMo had an excuse, he was just injury prone once he made it to the NFL. You just can't predict that from someone who had stayed healthy before that.

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 02:20 PM

not even close...everyone on the Planet Earth knew Clarrett was a loser and bum...except Shanrahan...picking him on the first day is ****ing hilarious

morphius
08-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Cough...Ryan Sims...cough
Cough... Marcus Nash... Cough

hehe, thanks to MHM for reminding me of that all but forgetable name.

Mile High Mania
08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
not even close...everyone on the Planet Earth knew Clarrett was a loser and bum...except Shanrahan...picking him on the first day is ****ing hilarious

I'm not applauding the pick, but considering it was a comp pick and the final of R3, it was essentially a R4. Either way... it wasn't a pick with high expectations. And, the contract is nothing...

vailpass
08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
SlyMo had an excuse, he was just injury prone once he made it to the NFL. You just can't predict that from someone who had stayed healthy before that.

Marcus Nash had an excuse too: he sucked. If you want to rag on Shanny for a piss-poor draft pick don't look to a thrid-round zero-risk/all reward pick like Clarett, look to Marcus Nash.
That was an all-time turd.

vailpass
08-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Cough... Marcus Nash... Cough

hehe, thanks to MHM for reminding me of that all but forgetable name.

You will get ZERO argument out of me on Nash. I got nothin.

morphius
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Marcus Nash had an excuse too: he sucked. If you want to rag on Shanny for a piss-poor draft pick don't look to a thrid-round zero-risk/all reward pick like Clarett, look to Marcus Nash.
That was an all-time turd.
Actually I haven't said anything about Clarrett, I don't trust anything from the PFT web site.

Boardin Bronco
08-12-2005, 02:30 PM
The Nash pick was a total bust, but let's not forget he was the 30th overall pick, the last pick of the 1st round. The Chiefs traded up to get Sims at #6. When you pick at 6th overall pick, you better get it right. Especially if you trade up to get it.

vailpass
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
The Nash pick was a total bust, but let's not forget he was the 30th overall pick, the last pick of the 1st round. The Chiefs traded up to get Sims at #6. When you pick at 6th overall pick, you better get it right. Especially if you trade up to get it.

I hear ya' BB but I still haven't gotten over the fact that not only was Nash not good, he was f#cking TERRIBLE. He never threatened to crack the lineup. I'll never understand how we could have missed so badly on a first rounder.
At least they get something out of Sims although not nearly commensurate with the picks they used to move up and select him.

Boardin Bronco
08-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I hear ya' BB but I still haven't gotten over the fact that not only was Nash not good, he was f#cking TERRIBLE. He never threatened to crack the lineup. I'll never understand how we could have missed so badly on a first rounder.
At least they get something out of Sims although not nearly commensurate with the picks they used to move up and select him.

The only thing I remember from Nash's brief career with Denver was him catching a long 3rd down pass from Elway to move the chains in Oakland during a 98 game. I remember him catching another 1st down pass in Kansas City during a MNF game. Everything else was a big blur.

His Bronco career: 4 rec 76 yards 19.0 AVG

How often do you see a 1st round pick traded in October of his second season? Guys like Andre Cooper, Chris Doering and Travis McGriff were getting P.T. over Nash early that season. Remember when Denver and Miami swapped 1st round busts and we ended up with John Avery!

Even though Nash has the first round label, his selection is little different from Kansas City taking Junior Siavii (#36) last season. Nobody remembers the first pick of the 2nd round, but everybody knows the last pick of the 1st. When you get that far down in the draft, the failure rate is a lot higher. Just look at the historical track record of the last 40 years.

ct
08-12-2005, 02:54 PM
A Chiefs fan baggen on a Bronco fan about draft busts is just f-in stupid. All Chiefs fans doing just that need to STFD and STFU.

vailpass
08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
The only thing I remember from Nash's brief career with Denver was him catching a long 3rd down pass from Elway to move the chains in Oakland during a 98 game. I remember him catching another 1st down pass in Kansas City during a MNF game. Everything else was a big blur.

His Bronco career: 4 rec 76 yards 19.0 AVG

How often do you see a 1st round pick traded in October of his second season? Guys like Andre Cooper, Chris Doering and Travis McGriff were getting P.T. over Nash early that season. Remember when Denver and Miami swapped 1st round busts and we ended up with John Avery!

Even though Nash has the first round label, his selection is little different from Kansas City taking Junior Siavii (#36) last season. Nobody remembers the first pick of the 2nd round, but everybody knows the last pick of the 1st. When you get that far down in the draft, the failure rate is a lot higher. Just look at the historical track record of the last 40 years.

Travis McGriff, the Crime Dog. John Avery, ouch.

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Avery was scary fast. I didn't see a lot of him, but when he was drafted I figured he was going to be a star.

Boardin Bronco
08-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Denver taking McGriff in 1999 is still the worst 3rd round pick during Shanahan's tenure. A midget receiver with no upside.

My personal favorite is Paul Toviessi in 2001. Never played one down. Prior to the Toviessi pick, the late Jack Elway was fighting hard for Chris Chambers. Talk about a football guy who knew his talent.

vailpass
08-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Avery was scary fast. I didn't see a lot of him, but when he was drafted I figured he was going to be a star.

He was with Miami and Denver for a year, then XFL and CFL for 3 years before playing a year with Minnesota and tweaking his knee.

He never panned out for any team.

Boardin Bronco
08-12-2005, 03:20 PM

Avery resurfaced in Minnesota not too long ago and was actually their KR. He was also the Priest Holmes of the XFL in 2001 with Chicago and is now a star with Toronto in the CFL. He actually didn't have that bad of a rookie season with Miami. He rushed for 500 plus yards, but Jimmy Johnson soured on him in 1999 for the likes of Cecil "The Diesel" Collins and J.J. Johnson.