PDA

View Full Version : Like it or not, this team should be doing what the 9ers are doing right now…

Cannibal
09-04-2000, 01:53 PM
REBUILDING… for real. What we’re doing now is not rebuilding.

Next year this team will be 41 million over the cap! 41 million over the cap and our highest paid players are Elvis Grbac, McGlockton and Dan Williams. We’d be lucky to get low-mid round draft picks for those players. They just aren’t that good.

A team that is 41 million over the cap should not lose it’s last 3 regular season games and 7 games total [counting preseason], with many of the games being played at Arrowhead Stadium. A team that is 41million over the cap should not go 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 or even 9-7. A team that is 41 million over the cap should be a Superbowl contender.

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind watching the Chiefs lose if they were in a legitimate rebuilding mode. I am a big enough fan that I could handle the losses as long as I knew they were trying to get under cap and making an attempt to get the right players at right positions to make a Superbowl run in a couple of years.

You know something, San Fran is paying the price for 4 Superbowl trophies right now. But they are doing it the right way. They are truly rebuilding. They will get high draft picks in the next two years and they will also be comfortably under the cap in two years. So after they draft some quality players with those high picks, they will also be able to sign some free agents to add to those high draft choices and they’ll be able to make another strong run at the Superbowl. I’ll bet that the 9ers make it to the Superbowl [again] before my Chiefs do and it’s sickening!

Continued…

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 09-04-2000).]

Cannibal
09-04-2000, 01:54 PM
We need end this F’n charade and trade some of these overpriced players for anything we can get. We need to rebuild with youth and find a QB for crying out loud! This team will be higher over the cap than any team in the league next year except they’ll be lucky to go 9-7! It’s not a good combination!

The problem is that even if Peterson did get a clue and start a legit rebuilding process, I wouldn’t want him in charge of it. He’s not good enough at evaluating talent. There’s no telling who he’d take with those high draft picks.

Clear out Peterson, clear out Gun, clear out the entire coaching staff and clear out Grbac, Glock, Williams and Alexander to name a few.

Hire Tom Donahoe for GM and Bill Snyder for head-coach asap! We’ve got to do something, because what we’re doing now certainly isn’t working!<BR>

Brock
09-04-2000, 02:00 PM
Bill Snyder? Dude, he can't put Prairie View A&M on the schedule in the NFL.

Packfan
09-04-2000, 02:01 PM
You know that I agree with you 100% on this.
Throw in guys like Hasty, Szott, Carlton Gray, and other players that dont want to be here.

One problem: Rebuilding means losses. And losses mean empty seats. Empty seats means less revenue. There is no way Lamar Hunt will put up with that. As long as the chiefs are somewhat competetive, the seats will remain full and Peterson stays. History repeats itself. If the chiefs rebuild and go through a 5-11 season, the fans will abandon them quicker than you can say Frank Ganz.

Cannibal
09-04-2000, 02:02 PM
Yes,

Bill Snyder.

He's a brilliant Headcoach.

No matter what, they should hire a coach from the college ranks. These NFL retreads nearly always fail.

Brock
09-04-2000, 02:06 PM
You'll have to enlighten me. What is it about Bill Snyder that causes you to think of him as "brilliant"?

Cannibal
09-04-2000, 02:15 PM
He is responsible for single greatest turnaround of a program in college football history. And that's what the Chiefs need, a complete overhaul and turnaround.
He can actually recruit to Manhattan KS. That alone makes him a genius.
He knows how to gameplan. He knows how to use the correct personnel to win games. He can run an offense.
I think Snyder would be a great choice. But we're getting off the original point, this team must rebuild.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 09-04-2000).]

Brock
09-04-2000, 02:20 PM
I agree with the rebuilding part, just not with your insistence that a college coach is necessary. Paul Hackett has USC pointed in the right direction, but he didn't appear to have the stuff to "hackett" in the NFL. From what I hear, Dick Vermeil wants to get back in to coaching. Somehow, that doesn't sound as funny as it did 5 years ago.

Cannibal
09-04-2000, 02:22 PM
I like Bill Snyder, but I would also like Dick Vermeil.

Although, I don't know if Vermeil could handle another rebuilding process.

kcred
09-04-2000, 03:14 PM
I, too, could go through the rebuilding, bandaid surgery has got to go. Some of the players mentioned, Hasty, Szott, Gray, are all in the final years of their contracts, so I am sure will be gone. The bad part, they really aren't much of the 41 mil. EG will definitely be restructured or gone, and though, I don't think he is as bad as most people, he won't sign for what he is worth. Glock, Williams, depends on how much they hit us in the cap pocket. I believe the only reason Williams is still around, is because of the hit we would take to get rid of him. We have to do something, Gonzo, is due in two years, with Tait, and Morris right behind. I would also like to see a change at the top, but all I can see, at best, is a coaching change. That would help.

AZChief
09-04-2000, 03:36 PM
I honestly believe we are rebuilding. Look at the secondary, in the next year or two at the latest, Woods will be the veteran leader. Our line will be rolling over in the next year or two and I'd imagine Shields will be the ol' vet. That's if we choose to resign him. I think this unit will pull together and play especially in the AFC West.

AZ

Cannibal
09-04-2000, 04:08 PM
I strongly disagree that we are rebuilding.

The only reason Gun is playing the young guys in the secondary is because he has no choice.

If we were truly rebuilding, we would be trimming that cap number down as far as possible. We would be looking at a new, QB of the future. We would be trading some of these old vets away and stockpiling as many draft picks as we could get our hands on.

San Fransico is rebuilding.

KC is trying/failing to retool and remain competitive.

The approach KC is taking just does not work, not if you want to win a championship.<BR>