PDA

View Full Version : The NFL and Steriods story about to heat up

BigRedChief
08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Story on ESPN about a piece on Costa's HBO show broadcasting tonight.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2132360

We can safely assume that there are a hell of alot more NFL players taking steriods than baseball players. Congressional hearings not far off?

Four more NFL players are expected to be tied to Dr. James Shortt, the physician who has been accused of prescribing steroids to patients, according to an HBO report on "Costas Now."

The network plans to air a story Friday night in which it identifies four previously unnamed NFL players as patients of Shortt, an alternative medicine doctor who remains at the center of a federal steroids investigation, according to HBO reporter Armen Keteyian.
Keteyian said Thursday night that the piece will "definitely push forward" the story of the involvement of Carolina Panthers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=car) players and other NFL players with Shortt.

Neither Keteyian nor HBO officials would release the list of players to be named; however, network spokesman Raymond Stallone told the Raleigh News and Observer that former Carolina defensive end John Milem (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5179) would be interviewed on the broadcast "as a former patient of Shortt."

Five Panthers players have already been identified as patients of Shortt, according to the report, and three -- center Jeff Mitchell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4577), punter Todd Sauerbrun (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3156) and tackle Todd Steussie (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2893) -- were all named in a CBS report as having obtained the prescriptions from Shortt for NFL-banned steroids. Mitchell is the only one still with the team.

Electric
08-12-2005, 12:04 PM
So is the answer to the steroid situation to legalize them in the sports world? If it's not illegal for pro-athletes to use them we have games that we can watch to see the best that can be manufactured.

It shouldn't matter that the 'roids will shorten the career and lives of the players that use them.

Maybe we should have a league for users and a league for non-users. Each NFL team can have a second team under the UFL (Users Football League), when a player pops hot he is automatically transferred to the other league at 1/10th his salary.

Another option would be the military administers it's drug abuse programs. Zero Tolerance. If a player pops hot for any named substance they are immediately put out of the players union as well as cut from their contract with no future payments as well as the team getting full credit against it's salary cap to replace them. It might be good to turn them over to the authorities as well, jail time might give them a chance to dry out.....or not.

It works for me, I don't need people working for me that are a danger to themselves not to mention their co-workers.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Good percentage of the league is on H anyway and it can't be detected. This whole steroid thing is a lot about nothing.

ENDelt260
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
There's a f*ckload of better things Congress should be concerning themselves with.

KC Kings
08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Good percentage of the league is on H anyway and it can't be detected. This whole steroid thing is a lot about nothing.

I don't believe that. My ex-Uncle was a herroine user, and there was no way he would be able to concentrate long enough to play even one down.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't believe that. My ex-Uncle was a herroine user, and there was no way he would be able to concentrate long enough to play even one down.

HGH you clown. :)

ENDelt260
08-12-2005, 01:08 PM
My ex-Uncle was a herroine user

What he did to Wonder Woman was criminal.

jidar1
08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
What he did to Wonder Woman was criminal.

hahahaah! Ok I literally laughed out loud.
ROFL

KCJake
08-12-2005, 01:30 PM
There's a f*ckload of better things Congress should be concerning themselves with.
Your absolutely right

Ninjaman
08-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I doubt football players are using as much as baseball because they are the obvious target. Baseball flew under the radar and players union demanded no testing for a reason . Corrupt.

Chiefnj
08-12-2005, 02:06 PM
The NFL has been testing and punishing for steroid use since the late 80's. Furthermore, they have voluntarily and proactively adopted more stringent rules and tests through the years. The NFL is the posterchild of major league sports when it comes to steroid policies. This won't be a big deal.

redhed
08-12-2005, 02:30 PM
We can safely assume that there are a hell of alot more NFL players taking steriods than baseball players. Congressional hearings not far off?

How can you "safely assume" that?!?
You can assume any damn thing you want; doesn't make it true.

Nothing like a broad generalization or opinion presented as fact.
:rolleyes:

morphius
08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't know, as long as the concentrate on these issues, they can't raise our taxes, give themselves raises, or generally screw much else up.

ENDelt260
08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't know, as long as the concentrate on these issues, they can't raise our taxes, give themselves raises, or generally screw much else up.
I think you underestimate them.

tk13
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm with you, I've said for years on this board that there are more football players on illegal substances, just like Big Daddy said, HGH, than baseball players. But as you see on this thread, nobody believes that, despite the fact that players are bigger and faster than ever, and with it being football, the fact that sheer strength comes into play when you play in the trenches, not to mention the number of injuries that players want to recover from... I personally think it's naive to believe a ton of these guys haven't taken something at some point or another.

BigRedChief
08-12-2005, 03:18 PM

WTF? Are you some kind of english grammer nazi or something? :cuss:

I wasn't presenting it as a fact. I was saying its safe to assume. Its probably true. The odds are. etc etc .

Mile High Mania
08-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Well, I'm prepared for just about anything... we know that Boston and guys like Romo have done this stuff. I imagine we'll be surpirsed at a few names that come out.

Rain Man
08-12-2005, 03:23 PM
At last we know why the Bronc os traded for Sauerbrun.

Phobia
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Is it going to rock the foundations of the NFL? KK called this shot about 7 years ago.

redhed
08-12-2005, 03:40 PM
WTF? Are you some kind of english grammer nazi or something? :cuss:

I wasn't presenting it as a fact. I was saying its safe to assume. Its probably true. The odds are. etc etc .

Naw, I'm no nazi.
I've just got a problem w/ the statment, "helluva lot more FB playes than BB playes on steroids." It's prolly about the same, but you could make a case that it's less 'cuz of the NFL's drug testing policy compared to MLB's.
Jus' bein' de Debbil's advocate. :shrug:

penchief
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
When we were kids we loved to play football. And I was a pretty damn good ball player all through school. I was a tough and elusive running back that was darned near impossible to bring down (I was king of smear the queer) and I was a defensive back that always frustrated the prima donna's on the other team.

But that was high school. I was good enough to stand out in my little neck of the woods but at the next level I wouldn't have been crap. I knew that. That's why I never even tried.

When it comes to football, there will always be those who excel at the next level and those who just aren't good enough. And that is the way it should be.

Steroids are a bane to sports, IMO. The game of football would be just as exciting and just as good without those who benefit from their use. The playing field should be a level one for everybody and those who aren't good enough just aren't good enough. Those who have the most talent and work the hardest should be the ones who succeed. I'll take the Derrick Johnsons of the world over the Brian Bosworths any ol' day.

As much as I loved being on a team, the most fun I ever had playing football was when all of us in the neighborhood got together and played a pick-up game.

BIG_DADDY
08-12-2005, 04:22 PM

I would think that his assumption is very accurate IMO. Just the other day I was eading about Tiki Barber doing over 700 pound full squats and he isn't even a lineman. Your telling me you don't think this guy is taking HGH?

The whole roids thing is overblow they haven't accomplished jack.

Hydrae
08-12-2005, 05:25 PM
We can safely assume that there are a hell of alot more NFL players taking steriods than baseball players.

I agree, more NFL players are taking steroids than NFL players taking baseball players. ROFL