PDA

View Full Version : You go McNabb.

CASHMAN
08-12-2005, 04:20 PM
McNabb laughs off Owens soap opera

August 12, 2005
BETHLEHEM, Pennsylvania (Ticker) - Donovan McNabb laughed off his role in the Terrell Owens soap opera. But beneath the smile was genuine hurt.

A day after Owens called McNabb a "hypocrite" and said he has no desire to speak to the quarterback, McNabb addressed the media Friday after the Philadelphia Eagles conducted practice.

"As a child growing up, I dreamed of being an actor, and now I am an actor in 'Days Of Our Lives,' the soap opera that's going on here in the last couple of days," McNabb said. "But you know what? It's funny to me. It's so funny to me how my name just keeps getting thrown out there. You've just got to have fun with it and that's exactly what we're doing."

ADVERTISEMENT

Embroiled in a contract dispute with the Eagles, Owens was told to leave training camp for a week after getting involved in a heated dispute with coach Andy Reid on Wednesday.

On Thursday, Owens and his pot-stirring agent, Drew Rosenhaus, spoke to ESPN from the star receiver's house. Owens accused Reid of being "disrespectful" to him during the argument and called McNabb a "hypocrite" for not speaking to him directly after he reported to training camp.

However, McNabb claimed he invited Owens to work out with him in Arizona in the offseason and received no response.

"He didn't show. So I figured if you don't talk to me, I don't talk to you, right? McNabb said. "That's what I've learned growing up. When I came here (for training camp), I told you guys I saw no reason for us to talk and I still to this day see no reason for us to talk."

The offseason of controversy for Owens began in April when he took a verbal jab at McNabb for his play in the Super Bowl.

In an interview, Owens said he "wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl," a reference to several media reports that claimed McNabb was either ill or tired late in the fourth quarter.

"I told him in minicamp to just keep my name out of your mouth," McNabb said. "Now my name is thrown back into this again. Where is all this coming from? But the people around me say the best way to handle is to be yourself. That's exactly what I'm doing right now. You see me smiling. I'm just being myself, because nothing is ever going to bring me down."

Asked Thursday whether he and McNabb could ever succeed together in the current climate, Owens said, "I don't think so, and I'm just being honest."

McNabb didn't agree with that assessment.

"When we are on the football field, it's business," McNabb said. "I don't have to hang out with you to play with you. If he's on the football field, we can have success. If he's not on the football field, we're still going to have success."

Owens hired Rosenhaus in the offseason, a move designed at trying to rework a seven-year contract worth $48.7 million that has a base salary of just $3.25 million in 2005. The Eagles remained steadfast that they would not renegotiate.

Owens skipped offseason minicamps and threatened not to report to training camp before showing up on time. Since arriving, he has been distant from his teammates.

The Eagles could ill afford not to have Owens since Todd Pinkston, the club's other starting wide receiver, suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in training camp.

Reggie Brown, a second-round pick out of Georgia, and Greg Lewis have been taking a majority of the reps at wide receiver.

Owens created more controversy on Thursday when he claimed on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" that the Eagles made him sign a secret waiver before the Super Bowl, a comment that was denied by team president Joe Banner.

"(Owens) absolutely did not sign a waiver with the team prior to last year's Super Bowl," Banner said in a released statement. "He was not even asked."

Arguably the best wide receiver in the game, Owens had 77 catches for 1,200 yards and a franchise-record 14 receiving touchdowns last season before injuring his ankle against the Dallas Cowboys.

After missing the final two regular-season games and the first two games of the playoffs, he made a heroic return to make nine catches for 122 yards in a 24-21 loss to New England the Super Bowl XXXIX.

Updated on Friday, Aug 12

bobbything
08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Once all this nonsense is worked out, I would love the next report out of the Iggles training camp to go something like this:

"This is Guy Monroe reporting for KTWI Channel 4 News Philidelphia. Earlier this morning Terrell Owens reported to the Eagles training camp after a week long suspension by head coach Andy Reid. Upon his arrival quarterback Donovan McNabb was seen kicking the shit out of him in the parking lot, while coach Reid was seen taking a dump on TO's Hummer. More to follow."

Thig Lyfe
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
With each day of this that goes by I feel more and more confident that the Chiefs will have no problem beating them come Week 4.

jAZ
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
It would be pretty cool if the Eagles suspended him for the entire year, forced him to pay back some of his bonus by invoking the "conduct detrimental to the team" clause in his contract, and then used that money to pay him his roster bonus next season and then benched him for the remainder of his career.

That would be the best possible solution to this crap, IMO.