PDA

View Full Version : 2 series and I am already REALLY impressed with DJ

PastorMikH
08-12-2005, 06:29 PM
DJ is looking really, really good out there. 14 other teams are going to be kicking themselves for passing on him. The guy is playing like a veteran out there in his first game.

eazyb81
08-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Yep, he is really, really fast.

Death Nebula
08-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Agreed.....
First play of the game he gets a personal foul....layin some wood.....way to set a tone....love it....
On the play he naild their QB ( in regular speed) you see him chasin the QB in the back field .....then you can see his legs speed up as he sees that hes got a shot...even though he didn't sack him I loved it

Preist look good too
Saw Craphonso in the huddles once too....watched his route it looked sharp

Detoxing
08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Agreed.....
First play of the game he gets a personal foul....layin some wood.....way to set a tone....love it....
On the play he naild their QB ( in regular speed) you see him chasin the QB in the back field .....then you can see his legs speed up as he sees that hes got a shot...even though he didn't sack him I loved it

Preist look good too
Saw Craphonso in the huddles once too....watched his route it looked sharp

Sigh, i wish i could see. I have to settle for this crapy NFL network coverage

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
He looked REALLY tentative on that first drive, might have been a little nervous or just got too hyped up...

He really came on during the 2nd series...

Skip Towne
08-12-2005, 06:52 PM
It isn't on TV here but DJ sounded really slow on the radio.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 06:57 PM
It isn't on TV here but DJ sounded really slow on the radio.

He just kinda seemed to be running in slow motion, like he was having to think about where he was and where he needed to go...

SoCalBronco
08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
I think he is playing well so far. He had a really nice stop on the first drive in the run game for about 2 yards.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
DJ vacated his gap on that TD...

Tuckdaddy
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
The team looked tire as a whole. DV's two a days for 3 weeks wore them out. They will get rested and ready for next game.

Shag
08-12-2005, 10:05 PM
I was at the game tonight, and paid a lot of attention to DJ. On the whole, he looked like, well, a rookie. He looked pretty good at times, but lost at others. A pretty average performance, but it's his first game...

The only time he really looked comfortable was on the blitz. He chased down Culpepper in the 1st quarter, and laid a good hit on him (even though 'Pep got rid of the ball, it was incomplete). A little later (2nd Q, I believe), he came on the blitz and just destroyed Mewelde Moore - completely de-cleated him. It was great to see someone hit with that ferocity...

It wasn't the dominant performance I (unrealistically) hoped for, but I'm really excited to see how he progresses this season...

B_Ambuehl
08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
He's not as fast as what you'd expect from all the hype and his change of direction and lateral quickness is not as impressive as what you might think....at least within a 15-20 yard box. Where he excels is when he has time to get those long legs moving and can chase to the outside and/or cover downfield like he did on that QB pressure to the outside. Bell is a guy who has more of the quick burst inside.

He did blitz once from the ROLB position and totally annhilated the fullback knocking him flat on his back....that looked impressive.

bringbackmarty
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
i thought he overpursued on a couple of plays, and was out of position on a few others, but other than that he was great.

beer bacon
08-12-2005, 10:35 PM
i thought he overpursued on a couple of plays, and was out of position on a few others, but other than that he was great.

It looked like he over pursued and got stuck in the trash on the long run Moore had.

Halfcan
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
I thought Dj looked great for not only being his first game to play in, but the first NFL game he has seen in person. The experts that said he couldn't hit, Thank You for scareing everyone so we could get this years Defensive Rookie of the year. Ask Melbatoast Moore if he can hit-he absolutely destroyed him-now if the rest of the team can start hitting like that!!

Saulbadguy
08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
He absolutely destroyed the FB (or RB..whoever was pass blocking) one one of the plays in the 1st quarter.

SoCalBronco
08-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Johnson is a fine player (I refuse to call him DJ, there's only 1 DJ). As a rookie in the first game, there are nerves and also your going up against a new opponent. Its not the same guys who you are butting heads with the whole summer. You get used to your teammates on the other side of the ball, their tendencies and such. Johnson showed some real good things out there. On the first or second drive by Minnesota he quickly filled the hole and tackled the back for maybe 1 or 2 yard gain. He had good range out there as well. It will be a bit harder on the strongside (I dont buy the stuff about right and left no strong or weak there is always a Sam and a Will) in the run game department because you have that extra blocker and the halfback, so your likely to see alot more trash and fight through alot more to get to the ball but obviously Gunther feels Johnson's coverage ability is so good that using him to neutralize opposing TEs is more important than the extra difficulty he will endure trying to stop the run from the strong side. But today its a passing league so that prolly makes sense I suppose. I dunno. He looks like a good athlete out there.

tk13
08-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Johnson is a fine player (I refuse to call him DJ, there's only 1 DJ).

And by the time it's all said and done, the one will be our DJ.

:)

SoCalBronco
08-13-2005, 01:32 AM
And by the time it's all said and done, the one will be our DJ.

:)

Nah. :)

SBK
08-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Nah. :)

Ok, you can take the DJ name to Denver with you. We'll keep either "Plumbers Daddy" or some other nickname he'll earn destroying someone on your offense? Fair enough. :p

greg63
08-13-2005, 03:16 AM
I thought Dj looked great for not only being his first game to play in, but the first NFL game he has seen in person. The experts that said he couldn't hit, Thank You for scareing everyone so we could get this years Defensive Rookie of the year. Ask Melbatoast Moore if he can hit-he absolutely destroyed him-now if the rest of the team can start hitting like that!!
:thumb: DJ looks good, and I think he'll get better. Good off-season acquisition.

alanm
08-13-2005, 03:41 AM
The team looked tire as a whole. DV's two a days for 3 weeks wore them out. They will get rested and ready for next game.
Good point. One which isn't brought into thought often for the 1st preseason game.
But... Are the Vikings in better condition at this point than the Chiefs?
I've a feeling more that a few guys will be doing extra pushups and up/downs come Sunday. :)

htismaqe
08-13-2005, 06:23 AM
He's not as fast as what you'd expect from all the hype and his change of direction and lateral quickness is not as impressive as what you might think....at least within a 15-20 yard box. Where he excels is when he has time to get those long legs moving and can chase to the outside and/or cover downfield like he did on that QB pressure to the outside. Bell is a guy who has more of the quick burst inside.

He did blitz once from the ROLB position and totally annhilated the fullback knocking him flat on his back....that looked impressive.

It has nothing to do with speed. He was thinking too much. He'll get more comfortable...

kcchuck
08-13-2005, 07:36 AM
You can't coach that kind of speed and size, I saw him make some plays that none of the LB's could have made last yr.

Rookie, 1st game, hell, I'm just happy he was signed and played, I like it!