PDA

View Full Version : First Team impressions

irishjayhawk
08-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Despite limited viewing, what did you guys think?

I thought our offense looked good for the most part. That goal line would have been TD with Priest in (his leap is the clincher)

I think our D started to really play on the second series when Gun wasn't running soley the base D.

Tribesman
08-12-2005, 08:08 PM
I think our D started to really play on the second series when Gun wasn't running soley the base D.

I don't know, I realize this comment may be a bit premature but so far I think our D-line still stinks. Zero penetration. Sure hope Gun fixes this thing before the season starts. Actually, scratch that, I hope the D-line players get their heads out of their a$$e$ and start playing some physical football.

penguinz
08-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't know, I realize this comment may be a bit premature but so far I think our D-line still stinks. Zero penetration. Sims was in the backfield a couple of times only to have the ends break containment.

KCChiefsFan88
08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Looked to me like LJ got into the endzone on 2nd down.

Overall starting offense moved the ball pretty well, Priest and LJ looked great as did the left side of that offensive line.

HC_Chief
08-12-2005, 08:16 PM
The DTs had good penetration. The DEs blew containment regularly. Secondary was still crappy.

Running game was kicking ass. Pass protection was awesome.

Punting was solid.

Tynes was shaky.

Too many penalties.

Tribesman
08-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Sims was in the backfield a couple of times only to have the ends break containment.

Was he? I must have missed that. So I guess we're looking at, what, Allen still being a bit raw? And of course Hicks stinking it up all over again. Who does that leave at DE that can start?

Damn I sure hope this D shows up on opening day.

CanadianChief
08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Have we completely given up on trying to solve the problems with the cutback runs? I still see way to much overcommitment.

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 09:24 PM
The DTs had good penetration. The DEs blew containment regularly. Secondary was still crappy.

Running game was kicking ass. Pass protection was awesome.

Punting was solid.

Tynes was shaky.

Too many penalties.

yup

bringbackmarty
08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i loved dj, even though he overpursues.

greg63
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM

I thought our offense looked good for the most part. That goal line would have been TD with Priest in (his leap is the clincher)

I agree both first string teams started slow. I think in a regular season game in mid season form I know the offense would have performed better, plus DV said that they were going to run the base offense only. I think the jury is still way out on the defense.

petegz28
08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Defense looked a lot faster. Just gotta tighten it up over the middle.

greg63
08-12-2005, 10:04 PM
It was fun to watch the rookie QB make a TD at the end.

greg63
08-12-2005, 10:11 PM
I sure hope this D shows up on opening day.

...Boy, me too. I think that generally you can tell all more about what kind of a season a team is headed for by the third or forth preseason game. I, also, think that DV tends to view preseason as a necessary evil in which to get through so they can make their cuts and begin preparing for the season opener.

Halfcan
08-12-2005, 11:35 PM
DT's had great penatration-were you talking about the Chiefs game?? The whole defense except DJ and surtain looked slow to me. Did anyone catch the play DJ blitzed and the running back tried to block him. He just shoved him on the ground like their third string QB did to WOODS. He is going to be something special. Junior looked aweful and out of shape.

beer bacon
08-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Personally I think we should tack on an extra half hour to every practice just to drill our defense on defending the cutback run. I was pretty upset when DJ and Mitchell got caught in the trash and Allen missed the tackle after getting caught out of position on Moore's 50 yard run. I was also pissed off to see that Dex still seems to prefer playing 10 yards off his man on every play.

Halfcan
08-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Good points BB and we havn't seen the bootleg yet!

SBK
08-13-2005, 01:40 AM
I like DJ a ton, Surtain will end up being a great move. He can tackle and cover, which is what our secondary can't do.

Jury's still out, but those 2 guys are HUGE improvements on what we had.

Gravedigger
08-13-2005, 02:09 AM
i learned only one thing from the game that dustin colquitt can punt very nicely and our kicking game might respawn a lin elliot comback

mcan
08-13-2005, 02:37 AM
So I guess we're looking at, what, Allen still being a bit raw? And of course Hicks stinking it up all over again.

This must be how rumors get started. All those big plays were run to the left. Right at Jarod Allen, who just does not contain. I've been saying that since the preseason game that get got all those sacks. He isn't strong enough at the point of attack, and he gets beat by any decent run blocker. Gun let him have it on the sideline after the second time it happened.

Eric, on the other hand, had his typical quiet, but consistent day. I'll watch the tape some time in the next couple days and get back to you on everything I see. Hell, I'll even take notes... Shit... I'll just do it now. I don't need sleep to teach guitar in the morning...

greg63
08-13-2005, 02:41 AM
I like DJ a ton, Surtain will end up being a great move. He can tackle and cover, which is what our secondary can't do.

Jury's still out, but those 2 guys are HUGE improvements on what we had.

Agreed, and like irishjayhawk pointed out the first team defense's second series shut down the Viking offense nicely after Gun pulled out the stops. We'll see more performance out of them in the preseason weeks ahead.

greg63
08-13-2005, 02:47 AM
I'll just do it now. I don't need sleep to teach guitar in the morning...

Now there's dedication!:thumb:

alanm
08-13-2005, 03:03 AM
This bothers me just a little bit. I've read from a couple of people so far that's mentioned that the "DT's got good penetration" So f*cking what!!. They sure as hell didn't make very many tackles. Go look at the defensive stats for the game. Grigsby led with 7 total, nothing wrong with that. And then about 5 DB's and safetys in a row. Gunther can't be happy with the Dline play. Still too much yardage given up on the ground. They gotta start stopping the run. What happend to all the "Flying to the ball" and "Gotta win the physical battle"? Anytime your secondary is leading in tackles you're f*cked. :banghead:
Waaaaaaaaay too many big plays given up. That was a big concern going into camp since it was a major problem last year. Not much progress made towards that goal yet.
Shitty tackling still. If you don't practice it in camp, how the hell are you supposed to get better at tackling? I know their worried about possible injuries but shit... C'mon.
Still need to work on redzone offense.
I'm grading a little harsly but I give the D a D-
The offense a C-
Lots of work to do still.
They can do lots better.
I hope to see better play at home against the Cardinals.

mcan
08-13-2005, 03:36 AM
Just did a play by play analysis of each of the teams' first drives. It's not pretty guys:

Vikings first drive:
Kickoff- Fazon takes the ball from 4 yards deep, and returns with a good wedge. The play gets broken up by Benny Sapp with a pretty hard hit at the 20. However, Derrick Johnson gets hit with 15 yards for a low block on his first NFL play...

V #1: Single back set with 2 TEs, we run a base 4-3. The run goes to Bennet off tackle left RIGHT AT Jerod Allen, who gets thrown inside by the left tackle. So far inside, in fact, that he ends up on the right side of the center when he finally gets his balance back. The play gets around the corner and he gets tackled by McLeon in the open field. Only a four yard gain, but it could have been a BIG play if McLeon hadn't bailed us out.

V #2: I formation against a base 4-3. Play action pass gets completed to Wiggins toward the left sideline. Fox misread the play and missed his coverage. Sammy Knight flies to the ball and makes the tackle.

V #3: 3 Wide against a base nickle. Pass to Bennet, leaking out of the backfield complete. Johnson missed his assignment, and recovered in time to chase from behind and make the tackle along with Kawika Mitchell.

V#4: 3 Wide against a base nickle. The Chiefs show blitz from the corner (Sapp), and Culp audibles to change the blocking scheme. The Vikings pick up the blitz easily, but force Daunte to roll to his right. Sapp (who is engaged by the RB) misses his containment and chases down Culp who throws a strike to Taylor down the right sideline who was running back to the LOS. Knight, makes the tackle.

V#5: 2 WR left staggered I against a base nickle. Draw goes to Bennett, Johnson reads the play and makes the tackle at the line. Drew falls forward for a 2 yard gain. First GOOD play for the Chiefs D.

V #6: 2 TE Single back against a 4-3 over. Chiefs again show blitz, and safeties are crowding the line pre snap. Daunte audibles to change protection. They pick up the blitz easily again. Straight drop back and throw to end zone is incomplete (high pass). McLeon had excellent coverage anyway. Holding is called on the Vikings.

V #7: 3 Wide against a Nickle. QB drops back to throw and the Chiefs DLine stunts Allen to the inside and Simms around the left tackle. The left tackle shoves Allen and knocks him out of the play, but realizes that he's beat by Simms who he didn't expect to be on his side. So, he turns and shovs Simms in the back, knocking him to the ground. (Sims is heading right at Culpepper). This opens up the entire left side of the field for Culpepper who scrambles to his left and throws to a WIDE OPEN Furleson for a TD. Whoever had coverage responsabilities either forgot, or came up to make a play on Culpepper (who looked like he might run).

PAT is good.

mcan
08-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Chiefs first drive:

Kickoff: Dante returns to the 17 from 1 yard deep.

Chiefs #1: 2 WR right I form against base 4-3. The Chiefs run Priest Holmes off tackle right, but it's clogged up. The left side opens up and Priest changes direction and is off to the races. He is driven out of bounds but not hit at the 43 yard line. Priest is showing some speed and vision. Good sign. Great play.

Chiefs #2: I formation against 4-3. Straight drop back, and comback pattern down right sideline is complete to Horn. The pass didn't have a lot of zip to it, but was timed well. However, because the pass died as it got there, Chris was forced to go DOWN to get the ball and was tackled immediately. Good play, but could have gone for some YAC yards had Trent put some Zip on it...

Chiefs #3: I form against 4-3. Play action pass thrown down the middle into coverage. The ball bounced off the linebacker and was almost picked off on the karem. Note: Sampson got away with an obvious hold. He had his arm drapped around the defensive end who had a bead on Trent...

Chiefs #4: 3 Wide Single Back against a 5-2. Linebacker in standard 4-3 must have had his hand on the ground. MLB is lined up against Dante Hall pre-snap! Giant miss-match in the favor of the Chiefs, this could be trouble... But it's a draw! Priest Holmes runs right into a solid wall of 5 defensive linemen for a short gain.

Chiefs #5: 3 Wide against a standard nickle. Pass is thrown low to Horn who was doing a deep in on the left side. Horn got his hands on the ball, but dropped it as he left his feet. I think he landed on the ball and knocked the wind out of himself. Anyway, the Chiefs are forced to punt.

Chiefs #6: Punt by Dustin Colquitt is a beauty. Hangs in the air forever, and is fair caught inside the 20.

tk13
08-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Al Saunders is the definition of vanilla in the preseason. Couldn't even watch the game, but I've seen this coaching staff long enough to know that. Worrying about the offense until week 1 is pointless, because week 1 is the first time Al will play any of his cards.

mcan
08-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Al Saunders is the definition of vanilla in the preseason. Couldn't even watch the game, but I've seen this coaching staff long enough to know that. Worrying about the offense until week 1 is pointless, because week 1 is the first time Al will play any of his cards.

Doesn't give the players an excuse not to execute correctly, or throw good passes...

tk13
08-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Doesn't give the players an excuse not to execute correctly, or throw good passes...
If we're doing everything correctly right off the bat in the first preseason game, there'd be no point to even having preseason...

tiptap
08-13-2005, 06:25 AM
This must be how rumors get started. All those big plays were run to the left. Right at Jarod Allen, who just does not contain. I've been saying that since the preseason game that get got all those sacks. He isn't strong enough at the point of attack, and he gets beat by any decent run blocker. Gun let him have it on the sideline after the second time it happened.

Eric, on the other hand, had his typical quiet, but consistent day. I'll watch the tape some time in the next couple days and get back to you on everything I see. Hell, I'll even take notes... Shit... I'll just do it now. I don't need sleep to teach guitar in the morning...

This is the right evaluation. Jared Allen was last year and so far this year, poor at containment and in letting those cut back and runs to the outside. The statistics on average runs to the outside left offense (that is outside of Jared) was 29th last year as opposed to Eric's outside play where our ranking would be 6th. (Now if you run at or inside of Eric the average jumps up to 28th or so. But part of that is DT play and coordination between Sims and Eric. ) I had hoped that the LB play would show up on those break back runs as well.

CoMoChief
08-13-2005, 10:23 AM
People have to realize this, our defense is better. We didn't really come into this game preparing to "beat" the Vikings. We just wanted to get our feet wet out on the field against other color. If it were the regular season, Gun would scheme ways to stop the Vikings offense. Everything last night was a test. Our Oline is gonna play great as always. Green and the WR's timing needs to improve and it will. This is only the first pre-season game. We've gotten our asses kicked before in the preseason by shitty teams. I just recently read a post that stated we got our asses kicked by the Arizona Cardinals in 1997. I believe we went 13-3 that year and had a top NFL defense. This game was simply to get the cobwebs out. Our defense never really went at it during full scrimmages in practice. I saw Sims get better. Maybe he will have a breakout season, thats something positive to think about. Allen was in the backfield but missed alot of tackles. Film and practice will take care of that. Hicks still sucks though, I don't know why he's still on the team. DJ looks very fast and can cover ground like no other. Kawika looks better. There were many plays that he was involved in, he looked more confident out there. McCleon had a couple of nice defended passes, but he's still McCleon so I can't really give him any credit. Surtain takes away one side of the field. Knight needs to clean the cobwebs out and Wesley needs to get his head out of his ass.

All of that being said, our defense will be better. Like I said before we weren't exactly planning for this game like we wanted to win it.

mcan
08-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I just recently read a post that stated we got our asses kicked by the Arizona Cardinals in 1997. I believe we went 13-3 that year and had a top NFL defense.

I do agree with your assessment of the pre-season, and what it means. It's not about the score. It's about getting reps and getting work, and executing on every individual assignment and play, in a game atmosphere. So yes, we're not necessarily trying to win, but we ARE trying to play well. We did not play well, therefore the game was a failure. It would have been a failure if we would have won the game also, because we played like sh!t.

Oh yeah, the quote... That was the year of our "bend but don't break" defense. We gave up a TON of yardage that year (I think in the bottom half of the NFL). However, we led the league in scoring defense, and we set a record for not allowing a second half touchdown for something like 10 or 11 straight games. We did, however, give up a crapload of field goals. In fact, in the "Pete Stoyanovich for president" game against the Broncos we could have come back from that game a lot earlier, because we were scoring TDs at a pretty brisk pace in the second half, but Denver had like 4 field goals in that second half and kept bumping up the margin. They had a one point lead until Pete hit that kick... God bless him...

greg63
08-13-2005, 08:36 PM

Excellent point.

TEX
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
I think our D-line is one of the worst in the NFL - especially our DE's. :shake: Yeah, I know it's only the first preseason game, but often times problems that surface in preseason for this defense are a prelude of bad things to come. Besides, I'm basing this opinion on way more than just 1 preseason game. This one's is real easy to see.

I felt this way last year about our LB's... :hmmm:

I wasn't that surprised by the piss poor showing of the _efense. I mean to start the game we had the same crap on the D-line as last year. The same ML who was flanked by a rookie and a 2nd-year guy (still no Bell :shake: ), and 1/2 of our poor secondary of last year. So we went out there with 4 new starters, 2 of which won't even be starting when the season begins, plus the same crap from last year and low and behold we looked like crap - imagine that... :hmmm:

KChiefsQT
08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Offense: Stellar
Defense: needs work... but I have confidence in those guys and Gun... hopefully they won't let me down.