PDA

View Full Version : What I saw in the 1st half...

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Offense:
1) Thorpe making a case to make the cut
2) Pass protection tonight was superb even after the starters left
3) Kevin Sampson looked like sure-fire starter
4) The running game was good, even running behind the right side

Defense:
1) DJ looked a little tentative. Flashed on a couple of plays.
2) Kawika looked great against the run. He looked completely lost against the pass, especially the screen.
3) Sims looks better, but better than bad is still not good
4) Our DE's once again made a ton of mistakes, no outside containment
5) the secondary was putrid, especially Wesley and McCleon, but also Knight

Count Alex's Losses
08-12-2005, 08:48 PM
How was Colquitt?

How was Trent?

I noticed Boeriger had 2 grabs, is he back to form?

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
The only WR that really stood out to me was Thorpe. Bo had a couple of grabs.

Horn dropped a couple, which isn't normal for him.

Colquitt had real nice hangtime and has already watched one get dropped...

HC_Chief
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
D sucked.

Running game was on, BIG TIME.

Chieficus
08-12-2005, 08:53 PM
D sucked.

Running game was on, BIG TIME.

Granted, I'm partially listening to the game on the radio and partially working, it sounds like our DT's did okay...

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Offense:
1) Thorpe making a case to make the cut
2) Pass protection tonight was superb even after the starters left
3) Kevin Sampson looked like sure-fire starter
4) The running game was good, even running behind the right side

Defense:
1) DJ looked a little tentative. Flashed on a couple of plays.
2) Kawika looked great against the run. He looked completely lost against the pass, especially the screen.
3) Sims looks better, but better than bad is still not good
4) Our DE's once again made a ton of mistakes, no outside containment
5) the secondary was putrid, especially Wesley and McCleon, but also Knight

Yeah, I agree with all that.

I was most impressed by Sampson, honestly. His pass protection was great.

Thorpe will make the squad. His routes weren't great but his hands were and so was his speed.

Running game..check. Priest...check. LJ..check. OL...check (Roaf and Waters were killing people).

Defense:

Sims and Dalton looked better than I hoped. They clogged the middle well.

Our DE's sucked arse..always out of postion.

Mitchell looked improved. DJ flashed but looke like a rookie. Fox, honestly, did not impress.

Surtain...lock down.

The rest of the secondary? ****ing Clueless. Our Safties ate shit.

Colquit...sweet.

Tynes....suck.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Granted, I'm partially listening to the game on the radio and partially working, it sounds like our DT's did okay...

The tackles weren't bad. But the ends were very bad.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I agree with all that.

I was most impressed by Sampson, honestly. His pass protection was great.

Thorpe will make the squad. His routes weren't great but his hands were and so was his speed.

Running game..check. Priest...check. LJ..check. OL...check (Roaf and Waters were killing people).

Defense:

Sims and Dalton looked better than I hoped. They clogged the middle well.

Our DE's sucked arse..always out of postion.

Mitchell looked improved. DJ flashed but looke like a rookie. Fox, honestly, did not impress.

Surtain...lock down.

The rest of the secondary? ****ing Clueless. Our Safties ate shit.

Colquit...sweet.

Tynes....suck.

Yep. That's about how I saw it.

old_geezer
The one thing that stood out the most to me was how bad our D-line looked. Our DTs were below average at best, but they looked all-pro when compared to our DEs.

Mitchell is NOT the answer at MLB unless he improves a lot from tonight.

What happened to Parker tonight? Did I miss something?

htismaqe
Holy shit...I hit 40K posts at some point during the 1st half!

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 08:56 PM
The one thing that stood out the most to me was how bad our D-line looked. Our DTs were below average at best, but they looked all-pro when compared to our DEs.

Mitchell played pretty good against the run. He just looked completely lost on a couple of passes, especially that screen.

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM

I don't know...I thought Mitchell looked good. And I thought our DT's held up pretty well...they even got pressure a couple of times but the QB just rolled out and our DE's were no where to be found.

I was disappointed with GUN tonight. Too many blitzes.

We have to learn the basics before we worry about running bad blitzes. Gun still has a lot to prove to me.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I don't know...I thought Mitchell looked good. And I thought our DT's held up pretty well...they even got pressure a couple of times but the QB just rolled out and our DE's were no where to be found.

I was disappointed with GUN tonight. Too many blitzes.

We have to learn the basics before we worry about running bad blitzes. Gun still has a lot to prove to me.

Our DE's still don't understand containment. Good point about Gunther.

ROYC75
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Mitchell played pretty good against the run. He just looked completely lost on a couple of passes, especially that screen.

A complete reversal from last year...... :harumph: At least on screens.

RedandGold
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
LJ, Surtain, and Colquitt were the only three that impressed me tonight.

Sims was getting some pressure in the middle, but he didn't get any support from the DEs. Hicks and Allen each played like crap.

old_geezer
08-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Our 1st team offense looked good too, but I shudder to think what happens if Trent gets hurt.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 09:01 PM

Sims was getting some pressure in the middle, but he didn't get any support from the DEs. Hicks and Allen each played like crap.

Surtain made a great play on one screen and made a tackle in traffic. Other than that, he didn't get much chance to impress because the Vikings didn't throw his way.

Logical
08-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Sims was getting some pressure in the middle, but he didn't get any support from the DEs. Hicks and Allen each played like crap.Yeah Priest only average 10.5 ypc no reason to be impressed with that.

milkman
08-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Our 1st team offense looked good too, but I shudder to think what happens if Trent gets hurt.

I don't know, it sounded like Todd played pretty well under some pressure.

It seems that the consensus here is that Hicks was typical Hicks tonight, so I expect to hear Dick talk about his great effort in Q and As later.

Count Alex's Losses
08-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah, how did Priest look? Full of piss and vinegar? What about LJ?

eazyb81
08-12-2005, 09:07 PM

Priest looked like the Priest of old, he was great. Our entire 1st team unit looked good, but we just didn't get it in the end zone.

old_geezer
08-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Priest and LJ both looked very good tonight. Our running game will be strong again this year.

On a side note, why didn't Sammie Parker play tonight or did I just miss him? I don't remember reading anything about him being injured.

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Priest and LJ both looked very good tonight. Our running game will be strong again this year.

On a side note, why didn't Sammie Parker play tonight or did I just miss him? I don't remember reading anything about him being injured.

he played a little....got one pass, I think

Count Alex's Losses
08-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Parker had one catch for 7 yards.

tk13
08-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah Priest only average 10.5 ypc no reason to be impressed with that.
I'm not. He's still not half the runner John Tait is.

old_geezer
08-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info on Parker. I was afraid I had missed an injury or something. I admit I was paying more attention to our defense and doing other things while the offense was on the field. I'm not worried about our offense.

Pants
08-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Wow, didn't anybody see that awesome endzone pass defended by McCleon? He outjumped a much taller WR. I was like "F*CK YEAH McCLEON!"

Pants
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Parker had one catch for 7 yards.

He would have had a TD had Trent stayed in. A lot of the incomplete passes were Todd's fault today, he played like shit... underthrew, threw behind the recievers, etc...

jspchief
08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I thought Sims looked really good. He was in the backfield a lot when he wasn't doubled. I'll believe it when he does it for a full game, but he seemed to making a lot more effort andit appeared to be paying off.

Agree that our DEs played like sh*t. They are so busy going after the QB that they don't bother playing the ball. Those guys need to learn some discipline.

I thought our 1st string LBs did okay against the run, but poor against the pass. Especially when Culpepper broke out of the pocket. If they play like that against Denver, Plummer will shred us.

Most of the passes that hurt us were short middle of the field routes that were more blown LB assignments than anything else. The secondary didn't get tested too much.

Holmes is still a man among boys. All the LJ hype almost makes you forget that we already have one of the best RBs in the league. LJ looked good too. Line played great, especially the left side. The weren't many runs to the right to test Welbourn and Bober, but they did good in pass protection.

Collins looked pretty shaky at times, and good at other times. I thought his throws were too timid. Huard actually looked more comfortable in the pocket, but makes bad reads.

GoChiefs boyfreind Tynes missed another damn kick. IMO, this guy will lose us a game at some point this season. Colquitt appears to have been worth it. Booming punts with good hang time, and already a fumbled return.

My personal opinion is we need to back off the blitzes. We telegraph them, and too many guys over-commit. Flashes of good thing from the D, but a lot of missed assignments.

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Wow, didn't anybody see that awesome endzone pass defended by McCleon? He outjumped a much taller WR. I was like "F*CK YEAH McCLEON!"

Yeah, unfortunately I let it be overshadowed by watching him give up a 10 yard slant by playing 5 yards off the ball and then CLAPPING after he gave up the 1st down.

Pants
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, unfortunately I let it be overshadowed by watching him give up a 10 yard slant by playing 5 yards off the ball and then CLAPPING after he gave up the 1st down.

ROFL

KS Smitty
08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
After watching the first half (and minimally watching the second) one of my main concerns on the D ...it seems like when the play is broken up at the line of scrimmage (or shortly thereafter) the entire D goes after whomever has the ball (usually the QB) and an (opposing) offensive player gets left wide open for a big play.

It seems to me that guys are forgetting their assignments and leaving the wrong guy open at the wrong time.

On the O it's obvious that Tony G has not been involved in the training camp process, IMO. He missed a pass and a block, IIRC, in the first quarter that; had they been a regular season game; could have been major.

Please deposit 2 cents please. :p

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 10:10 PM
After watching the first half (and minimally watching the second) one of my main concerns on the D ...it seems like when the play is broken up at the line of scrimmage (or shortly thereafter) the entire D goes after whomever has the ball (usually the QB) and an (opposing) offensive player gets left wide open for a big play.

It seems to me that guys are forgetting their assignments and leaving the wrong guy open at the wrong time.

yup...they don't know what to do...I thought Gun would have purged that Grob shit by now...anything in the middle of the field and our guys are lost

hopefully we'll get Bell back soon and these guys will all get on teh same page...DJ got better every play though, and Mitchell looked good (around the line of scrimmage anyways)...Gun has a lot of work to do with Hicks and Allen, too much freelancing

I'm actually more worried about our Safties than our DTs now

htismaqe
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
yup...they don't know what to do...I thought Gun would have purged that Grob shit by now...anything in the middle of the field and our guys are lost

hopefully we'll get Bell back soon and these guys will all get on teh same page...DJ got better every play though, and Mitchell looked good (around the line of scrimmage anyways)...Gun has a lot of work to do with Hicks and Allen, too much freelancing

I'm actually more worried about our Safties than our DTs now

Me too.

As bad as we've been in the front 7, those 80-yard runs we're prone to give up are the direct result of DB's not being in position and we saw it again tonight.

the Talking Can
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Me too.

As bad as we've been in the front 7, those 80-yard runs we're prone to give up are the direct result of DB's not being in position and we saw it again tonight.

and some how we always lose coverage in the middle of the field...they don't understand how to play zone, I guess..or they just keep ****ing it up....I'm tired of seeing us look confused (4 years +)...if we get beat because on talent...OK...but we get beat because our guys aren't in the same ****ing zip code, always some massive breakdown

I also heard an interesting point on the radio, I think it was Lenny..he said "well, there haven't been any big hits like Gun wanted"....and he was right, our guys weren't killing anyone*

that's why I think Bell is crucial...he's the only D player we have right now who can scare someone...we need him out there laying the wood on everybody

*yes, I know it's preseason...I'm sure we'll improve....I'm just saying

Scalper
08-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Killian Scores

Scalper
08-12-2005, 10:24 PM
looked like donkey face elway in the superbowl