PDA

View Full Version : Reason for poor Defensive ... my take

Manila-Chief
08-13-2005, 07:49 AM
I think our defensive problems stem from the fact that DV doesn't want his wittle bitty offensive guys to get their finger nails smeared and will not allow full scrimage in camp. Contrast that with Marty's Okla drills/etc. Marty develops great defenses.

To not have full contact is unheard of and especially at the NFL level. No wonder GR's defenses were so bad. How can a DC teach defensive skills/build confidence/develop attitude if they don't hit? You don't develop football skills reading the internet.

Sounds to me like DV has become too soft in his old age to be a coach. He is giving in to the offensive players. I'll go so far as

Yeah, I know he doesn't want to get players hurt ... but there is no way to learn to ride a bike but to skin some knees.... a player has to hit to be able to learn to tackle properly.

Fat Elvis
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
The Ravens don't allow that kind of contact in thier training camp, yet they are one of the top rated defenses. In fact, they are known throughout the league as having one of the easiest camps of all the teams.