PDA

View Full Version : Please list the players who helped themselves or hurt themselves last night.

Rain Man
08-13-2005, 12:29 PM
You can leave out starters and stars if you want.

Helped themselves:

Larry Johnson (not that he's in any roster danger)
McKenzi Smith
James Kilian
Kevin Sampson
Shaunard Harts
William Bartee
Alphonso Hodge
Benny Sapp
Scott Fujita

Hurt themselves:

Todd Collins
Kris Wilson
Tony Gonzalez (just had to say it - he's rusty)
Brett Williams
Lawrence Tynes
Thomas Barnett
Jerome Woods
Keyaron Fox (I was expecting a lot more than I saw)
Junior Siavii (Why was he sweating? He didn't do anything other than get out of his three point stance and lean against offensive linemen?)

I'm unsure about Grigsby. He was lost in the middle of the field, but he made some good plays down on the goal line.

I'll admit that I had rough viewing, due to some technical issues at the sports bar, so I could've missed some things very easily. I also realized that I'm still in preseason viewing mode, since I'm out of practice at watching games.

petegz28
08-13-2005, 12:32 PM
I thought who hurt themselves was:
Woods
Siavii
Tynes (a little)
Collins (kinda but not going anywhere)
Allen (TACKLE, TACKLE, TACKLE)
R. Smith

Helped Themselves:
Huard
Crapo
Sampson
Simms
Bartee
Sapp

jspchief
08-13-2005, 12:32 PM
You can leave out starters and stars if you want.

Helped themselves:

Larry Johnson (not that he's in any roster danger)
McKenzi Smith
James Kilian
Kevin Sampson
Shaunard Harts
William Bartee
Alphonso Hodge
Benny Sapp
Scott Fujita

Hurt themselves:

Todd Collins
Kris Wilson
Tony Gonzalez (just had to say it - he's rusty)
Brett Williams
Lawrence Tynes
Thomas Barnett
Jerome Woods
Keyaron Fox (I was expecting a lot more than I saw)
Junior Siavii (Why was he sweating? He didn't do anything other than get out of his three point stance and lean against offensive linemen?)

I'm unsure about Grigsby. He was lost in the middle of the field, but he made some good plays down on the goal line.

I'll admit that I had rough viewing, due to some technical issues at the sports bar, so I could've missed some things very easily. I also realized that I'm still in preseason viewing mode, since I'm out of practice at watching games.For the most part I agree with your lists. I would add Ronnie Cruz to the list of guys that helped themselves. Tynes redeemed himself pretty good after the miss, he just needs to find some consistency.

go bowe
08-13-2005, 12:35 PM
poor junior...

i've been castigated for suggesting that he doesn't like to work out (read, only do it when forced to)...

that he has a childish immature attitude...

and that unless he changed his work ethic and attitude, he would look like he did last night...

i was really rooting for the guy, because he is samoan...

but unless he miracuously improves in the next 3 weeks, it will be a mistake not to find a replacement for him...

Count Zarth
Are you samoan?

Rain Man
Ah, yes. Cruz and Cro Thorpe both helped themselves. Cruz is promising - I saw his stats a while back and he's a big, strong, fast guy. Thorpe looked very good out there.

It was nice to see Boerigter back, and one guy that really impressed me was Surtain, as much for his run support and tackling than anything else.

Count Zarth
08-13-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm excited to see Boerigter tomorrow night...I'm really rooting for him to be the #2 WR.

Rain Man
08-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Are you samoan?

He's Samoan by marriage.

go bowe
Are you samoan?no, my wife is and 2 of my four sons are half samoan...

Rain Man
I'm excited to see Boerigter tomorrow night...I'm really rooting for him to be the #2 WR.

Tomorrow night?

go bowe
08-13-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm excited to see Boerigter tomorrow night...I'm really rooting for him to be the #2 WR.tommorrow night?

are they playing again? :rolleyes:

SNR
08-13-2005, 12:39 PM
The only way Collins hurt himself was physically. He was able to bring us out from deep in our own territory. Had he been playing with capable players, he would have scored, too.

Count Zarth
08-13-2005, 12:40 PM
tommorrow night?

are they playing again? :rolleyes:

Yes, NFL Network rebroadcast for out of towners like me.

wolfpack0735
08-13-2005, 12:40 PM
allen looked bad,woods was a joke. fox,the way they have been talking about him,didnt look good. cruz i thought looked great for never getting to play.

Rain Man
08-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I forgot two other guys who impressed me: defensive linemen Clint Mitchell and Zach Ville. Granted, they were playing against third-stringers, but they both seemed to have fast-revving motors. Mitchell played almost half the game, I think.

go bowe
08-13-2005, 01:08 PM
mitchell?

he'll never be any good at the mlb spot...

go bowe
08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
actually, it looked like (clint) mitchell was getting sucked inside a lot and could only watch as the runner cut back outside of him for a good gain...

Rain Man
08-13-2005, 01:12 PM
actually, it looked like (clint) mitchell was getting sucked inside a lot and could only watch as the runner cut back outside of him for a good gain...

To be forthright, I looked up his stats after I posted that, and he only had 1 tackle and 1 assist in a lot of playing time. Perhaps I should amend my post to say that I saw him chasing people a lot.

Phobia
08-13-2005, 01:14 PM
mitchell?

he'll never be any good at the mlb spot...

He looked horrible. Too bad he doesn't play an interior line spot, he's good in traffic. He blows in space.

Rick
08-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Helped:

#1 Sampson
#2 Larry Johnson
#3 Kawika Mitchell
#4 Ryan Sims
#5 Craphonso Thorpe
#6 Dustin Colquitt

Hurt:

#1 Jerome Woods
#2 John Booth
#3 Boomer Grigsby (excusable)
#4 Brett Williams
#5 Jared Allen (very disappointing, but patience still needed)
#6 Bennie Sapp

* I simply tried to include guys we may actually depend on, other than Booth.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I didn't think Collins looked that bad. Until his last couple of plays, I thought he did fine. I will have to watch again

jspchief
08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Another guy that hurt himself was Dee Brown.

I'd been hearing a lot of hype on the guy, and he wasn't very impressive.

the Talking Can
08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
helped:

Sampson - biggest surprise of game
Sims - but only because the bar is set so low for him
LJ - not rusty at all
Crap-ho - routes aren't great, hands and speed are
Bo - looked good
Surtain - just kidding...guy's a stud, no worries there

Mitchell - good aroung the line of scrimmage, not good in coverage

hurt

Fox - biggest negative surprise, he was terrible
Allen - they ran all over his ass
Siavii - might get cut...based on effort he deserves to be cut
Woods - should retire
Knight - didn't really impress me

basically more of the same..offense good, defense bad

Count Zarth
08-13-2005, 01:48 PM
What exactly did Sims do?

jspchief
08-13-2005, 01:50 PM
What exactly did Sims do?Personally, I thought Sims was our best 1st string D-lineman last night. He was getting penetration any time he wasn't doubled. Impressive for the few plays he was in on.

the Talking Can
08-13-2005, 01:52 PM
What exactly did Sims do?

got some penetration which was wasted by our DE's blowing their containment, and he and Dalton clogged the middle pretty well which was evident on the second series...I saw enough to have some hope...

Demonpenz
08-13-2005, 01:52 PM
put mitchell at tackle :)

BrotherBST05
08-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I disagree with the assessment of Grigsby. I don't think Friday's performance hurt him. He entered his first NFL game coming from a D 1-AA school and led in tackles. He made mistakes, but so did a number of other people - obviously. Having one game under his belt will only help his confidence and reduce the rookie jitters. I just don't see how his performance could hurt him. Let's see what happens Saturday. He admits to having a lot to learn. Just remember the leap these rookies are taking, especially when you see veterans screwing up, too. It's early and I still like his positives - fast, smart, strong, etc.