PDA

View Full Version : Ok, we picked the TEAM apart....what about the coaches??

BigVE
08-13-2005, 03:57 PM
First off I didnt check all the pages so if this was already posted I apologize.

Ok, its the very first pre-season game and expectations were not high on my part but the team really really looked poorly coached up to this point. Why do I say that? The simple things werent simple. Not just the younger players either, but even some of the vets didnt look like they had spent ONE day in camp thus far. Look how long most of our D starters were in the game...and they still looked like high-schoolers most of the time. Im confident that the team will come around and be just fine but its disappointing to see the team perform like this at ANY time of the year. BUT, to be honest part of the problem is that after such a long layoff from football and looking forward to the start of the new season and other than a nice little highlight here or there the team SPUTTERED for the most part. NOt overly concerned at this point but a little disappointed in the effort.

tk13
08-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I think the coaches are probably the hardest area to evaluate in these games, because they don't gameplan for anything. They're preparing a gameplan for the Jets in week 1... we really don't do anything in regard to preparing for the Vikings' strengths or weaknesses, just getting the guys some action and back into the swing of things.

BigVE
08-13-2005, 04:11 PM
I think the coaches are probably the hardest area to evaluate in these games, because they don't gameplan for anything. They're preparing a gameplan for the Jets in week 1... we really don't do anything in regard to preparing for the Vikings' strengths or weaknesses, just getting the guys some action and back into the swing of things.

Sure. I can agree with that. Im more disappointed in lack of a basic understanding of where to line up, who to block, you run this way I run that way....that kind of stuff.

kcjayhawks5
08-13-2005, 04:21 PM
thats true but how well do you expect them to be when it was their first time tackling since last season? i think it was a mistake by not allowing the team to not tackle in camp but i understand why they did it. i hope they get after in the next game though

stevieray
08-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I saw a couple of bright spots..Benny Sapp, Colquitt, Bartee and........

Priest.

BigVE
08-13-2005, 04:35 PM
thats true but how well do you expect them to be when it was their first time tackling since last season? i think it was a mistake by not allowing the team to not tackle in camp but i understand why they did it. i hope they get after in the next game though

Possibly....but as far as I know we pretty much made it thru the game without any of our main guys getting injured. If the reduced contact in practice helps with the long-term health of the team Im all for it. Again, this was/is a coaching thing...whether its a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Boyceofsummer
08-13-2005, 04:47 PM
about the preseason plan of reduced contact during practice. Fine. This may explain some of the poor play last night. I'm fine with this coaching decision and I hate NFL preseason. I also think what little I saw of the game included confused looks on the faces of the sideline coaching staff. This is disturbing and unacceptable. Some players with incredible physical talent make coaches look like geniuses. Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Willie Roaf.................

the Talking Can
08-13-2005, 05:53 PM
I think Gun has a lot to prove.

He needs to show he can get defense organized and capable of playing solid, basic, fundamental d...all the things we lacked during the GR era...there's still time but mostly since he's arrived I've heard a lot neat sound bites, but I haven't seen much improvement on the field.

Dayze
08-13-2005, 07:26 PM
all PS games, especially game 1, are very vanilla. I can' pick the coaches apart just yet, simply because the plays they are calling are most likely simple to see if players can tranlate practice onto the field.

Sweep left
Sweep right
Cover 2

.....don't think the coaches dug too deep into the playbook, for good reason.

it'll get better.

Logical
08-13-2005, 08:18 PM
I have noticed over the years that DV teams do a poor job of preparing for the early season. It seems to lead to slow starts. We got the benefit of Dante to offset it in 2003. Hopefully this year will be different.

Halfcan
08-13-2005, 08:51 PM
good point vlib, Dante turned around those games and has really helped mask how poor the special teams have been.

stevieray
08-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Dante turned around those games and has really helped mask how poor the special teams have been.

Maybe we can ask Dante not to be so damn good.

B_Ambuehl
08-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Hopefully this will change but based upon what I've seen the last 2 years the Chiefs have a problem with confidence and communication in the coaching staff on defense. I saw it last year and I see it again this year and it's not really a talent thing. The D had 2 back to back 3 and outs but you don't see anybody out there getting fired up and getting in the opponents face and playing with confidence, simply becuase they're too worried about getting yelled at or getting yanked out of the game or something similar. The coaches lack confidence and that is rubbing off on the players. I think the coahces are trying too hard to go from A all the way to Z when the players gotta realize you gotta go through b, c, d, e, f, g etc.

When a coach is confident about things getting better you see it in the players attitudes even if they have shitty talent. Hell look at Marvin Lewis his first year in Cincinatti....his players sucked but they still played like they were getting better and played with attitude.....Lovie Smith his first year at D-coordinator in St Louis. With the Chiefs all I see is wide eyed guys running around out there always looking at the sideline. You see the same thing from the WR position. Nobody on this football team is confident except for the offensive line.

mlyonsd
08-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I think Gun has a lot to prove.

He needs to show he can get defense organized and capable of playing solid, basic, fundamental d...all the things we lacked during the GR era...there's still time but mostly since he's arrived I've heard a lot neat sound bites, but I haven't seen much improvement on the field.

This is exactly where I'm at and the D.

I'm not going to get too excited over one preseason game but it's time for Gun's schemes to put up or shut up.

morphius
08-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm just having a hard time believing that the current group of couches are really getting Gun's theme. Considering not one D player has seemed to really improve since that group of position couches have come here, lets just say I worry a bit...

Simplex3
08-14-2005, 10:41 AM
This is exactly where I'm at and the D.

I'm not going to get too excited over one preseason game but it's time for Gun's schemes to put up or shut up.
I'm not going to lay this on Gun's doorstep until he gets an opportunity to bring in some new coaches. He's still got the same staff from when G-knob was here because Ol' Cryin' Eyes can't handle the thought of firing someone, even if they suck at their job.

I'm beginning to think that all of these DLine busts may have to be attributed to some other common factor. ALL these guys can't suck this bad. The law of averages would state that at least one of them would be showing some potential, but they aren't. My guess is the DL coach is an idiot.

jspchief
08-14-2005, 11:03 AM
The coaching was horrible!

FIRE GREG ROBINSON DAMMIT!!!

oh, errrr :sulk: