PDA

View Full Version : TRR's Preseason Game Thoughts...

TRR
08-13-2005, 07:45 PM
The Metrodome was packed, and the crowd was decent. However, the Vikes have the most idiotic fans I've ever seen at any sports venue. Every Vikes fan knows three, and only three players on their team. Dante (they don't know his last name) Culpepper, Michael Bennett, and Jim Kleinsasser. Other than that, they have no clue. Most of them only cheer when one of those 3 makes a play. Most fans still wear their Moss jersey.

Anyways...Impressions of the game...

Hard to watch. I had flashbacks of the 32 Defense. That first drive was hard to stomach. The D Line wasn't getting pressure, the LB's were lost, and the CB's and safeties were letting the Vikes WR's run free. It was really a rollercoaster ride for the D. One minute I saw the "new D", and then they'd go right back to old 32.

I was impressed with DJ, Surtain, and Knight. Other than that, nobody on the defense really thrilled me. DJ impressed me on athletic ability alone. Surtain pretty much shut down his side of the field, and made an AMAZING play early on when the Vikes swung a screen pass out to Moe Williams in the flat. If it wasn't for Surtain fighting off his blocker, and making a beautiful open field tackle, the Vikes might have hung another one on us. Knight impressed me with his knowledge of the scheme. He really tried to get people into position to make plays, it just didn't happen. He'll definitely be an beast in the run game this season.

What really jumped out at me was our athleticism on defense. A lot of big plays the Vikes broke were eventually tackled. If Woods was at FS last night instead of Greg Wesley, the long run by Mewelde Moore would have resulted in a TD guaranteed. Same goes for the play Surtain made. At least that's a positive.

On offense, we were VERY, VERY vanilla. Not much shifting, and a whole lot of Marty ball. Kept it simple. I was very impressed with Priest Holmes. What vision. He was pretty much the only player to get me out of my seat last night. Solid outing. I thought our WR's really ran solid routes, but a couple were missed by Damon Huard. I really would have liked to see Todd Collins w/the first team more, but the bump on the hand derailed that. As soon as he went out, I knew there was no catching up.

Bottom line, the offense still looked great, even running a VANILLA scheme. The D looked athletic, and I'm sure some of you will see that tomorrow when the game is replayed on Direct TV. However, they need a lot of work in Gun's scheme. The D will really get a kick when Kendrell Bell and Carlos Hall enter the lineup. I thought Key Fox played like crap, and thought Scott Fujita really needs to learn both sides of the LB'ing scheme. Fox didn't show up when the lights turned on. I was also impressed by Kawika Mitchell. A lot more active then last season, and shedded a couple of blocks to make a tackle.

All in all it was just Preseason Game #1...But damn was it tough to sit through in that atmosphere.

Wallcrawler
08-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I really would have liked to see Todd Collins w/the first team more, but the bump on the hand derailed that. As soon as he went out, I knew there was no catching up.

Heh.

Thats funny to me. I saw nothing from Todd Collins that made me want to see him get another snap at all.

From his amazing intentional grounding plays, the first snap he took, and then another that he was bailed out of due to an illegal contact call before he grounded it, to his amazing underthrows, to just flat out looking like a scared little girl back there under pressure, he flat out sucked in that game and couldnt have left the playing field soon enough.

It was like if he even sniffed anyone coming near him, he just flung the ball out there. Looking like a Jake Plummer wannabe out there. All that was missing was the left handed flail for a pick.

Damon Huard looked way better than Collins did. While he made some poor passes, he made some good plays as well, delivering the ball accurately while getting drilled, and showing the pocket presence to dodge a few sacks and still get the pass away to his receiver.

Collins' little owie on his wrist was one of the few high points for me personally in that game.

TRR
08-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Heh.

Thats funny to me. I saw nothing from Todd Collins that made me want to see him get another snap at all.

From his amazing intentional grounding plays, the first snap he took, and then another that he was bailed out of due to an illegal contact call before he grounded it, to his amazing underthrows, to just flat out looking like a scared little girl back there under pressure, he flat out sucked in that game and couldnt have left the playing field soon enough.

It was like if he even sniffed anyone coming near him, he just flung the ball out there. Looking like a Jake Plummer wannabe out there. All that was missing was the left handed flail for a pick.

Damon Huard looked way better than Collins did. While he made some poor passes, he made some good plays as well, delivering the ball accurately while getting drilled, and showing the pocket presence to dodge a few sacks and still get the pass away to his receiver.

Collins' little owie on his wrist was one of the few high points for me personally in that game.

Todd Collins drive down the field (Tynes miss) was the only decent one of the game (that actually mattered). Unless you count Huard's drive before half until he threw the INT.

Wallcrawler
08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Bah.

Dont mind me, Ive never liked Todd Collins at any point during his tenure here. Just the way he played last night made me want to vomit. He's made his fair share of decent plays in his limited playing time, but he's also done some of the dumbes things Ive seen a QB do since the last time I watched Jake Plummer play.

I just dont like the guy, never will. This is the ranting of a Todd Collins hater, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Id like for someone to drop a grand piano, or other heavy object on him from a good height prior to the regular season.

Count Zarth
08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Bah.

Dont mind me, Ive never liked Todd Collins at any point during his tenure here. Just the way he played last night made me want to vomit. He's made his fair share of decent plays in his limited playing time, but he's also done some of the dumbes things Ive seen a QB do since the last time I watched Jake Plummer play.

I just dont like the guy, never will. This is the ranting of a Todd Collins hater, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Id like for someone to drop a grand piano, or other heavy object on him from a good height prior to the regular season.

Keep f*cking doubting Todd Collins.

ChiTown
08-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Bah.

That'd be a damn waste of a Grand Piano........

Wallcrawler
08-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Keep f*cking doubting Todd Collins.

I know, it is strange to doubt a 33 year old quarterback who has not taken a meaningful snap in what, 8 years now?

SNR
08-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Bah.

Id like for someone to drop a grand piano, or other heavy object on him from a good height prior to the regular season.You, sir, will be eating those words one day. One day he will see action in a regular season game, and when he does, you will be wrong, my friend. Very wrong indeed. :cuss:

Wallcrawler
08-13-2005, 10:24 PM
You, sir, will be eating those words one day. One day he will see action in a regular season game, and when he does, you will be wrong, my friend. Very wrong indeed. :cuss:

Where, if you dont mind my asking, does this confidence that you have in him come from?

Do you honestly believe that if something were to happen to Trent Green, and he couldnt play in a particular game, that Todd Collins could run the offense and win the game?

We're talking passing game here too. I could turn around and hand the ball to Holmes or Johnson all game. If he had to win the game with his arm, do you honestly think he is up to the task?

bishop_74
08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
I know, it is strange to doubt a 33 year old quarterback who has not taken a meaningful snap in what, 8 years now?

Todd Collins is 33? At what point do we start developing someone to take Greens place? I know he feels like he has quite a few years left, but at some point, you need to plan for the future.

SNR
08-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Where, if you dont mind my asking, does this confidence that you have in him come from?

Do you honestly believe that if something were to happen to Trent Green, and he couldnt play in a particular game, that Todd Collins could run the offense and win the game?

We're talking passing game here too. I could turn around and hand the ball to Holmes or Johnson all game. If he had to win the game with his arm, do you honestly think he is up to the task?His only oppurtunities have come in preseason games, and yes, they show that he could run this offense just fine. If we only look at the evidence we have, he's a fine QB, and just because he hasn't been given an opportunity in the regular season is no knock against his ability.

This was not his best game last night. I've seen him play much better. He was the best QB in the NFL last preseason. That's reason enough to have faith in him as a backup.

We'll see how the next game goes. You've seen him play better than he did last night, and I have no reason to believe next week won't be one of those games he's had in the past.

SNR
08-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Todd Collins is 33? At what point do we start developing someone to take Greens place? I know he feels like he has quite a few years left, but at some point, you need to plan for the future.That was the issue I had with Huard at 3rd string. Your 3rd stringer should be a young guy, or an old veteran behind a young guy at 2nd string. Either way, one of your three QBs should have a future in front of them. The Chiefs don't have a single QB on their roster besides Kilian, who may end up beating out Huard for that 3rd string spot. He'll get more playing time next week I think.

stevieray
08-13-2005, 10:57 PM
I've heard that the atmosphere isn't very good.

bishop_74
08-13-2005, 11:23 PM
I've heard that the atmosphere isn't very good.

I've heard that seeing Bea Aurthur naked can induce vomiting.

bishop_74
08-13-2005, 11:24 PM

...I might have had one too many beers this evening. Good night.

stevieray
08-13-2005, 11:28 PM

I believe it.

J Diddy
08-14-2005, 12:19 AM

WTF are you talking about? Bea Arthur is a hottie!

StcChief
08-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Anybody remember Bono in the 95 season. All those years as a backup to Montana.

Bowser
08-14-2005, 07:38 AM

Brace yourself for ENDelt's neg rep.......

Scanfan55
08-14-2005, 07:44 AM
How did Scanlon play?

TRR
08-14-2005, 09:21 AM
How did Scanlon play?

Scanlon was barely noticeable throughout TC and in the game. He runs with the third team in practice. The third team doesn't get many reps at all. To me, he's nothing more than 3rd string (at best), camp fodder, PS material. The coaches pretty much treat him as such.

If Gun decides to keep 3 MLB's (hard to do with all of our talented OLB's), then I believe Scanlon will make the 53 man roster. If they keep two MLB's, Boomer will be the backup, and Scanlon will either be cut, or on the PS.

ROYC75
08-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Scanlon was barely noticeable throughout TC and in the game. He runs with the third team in practice. The third team doesn't get many reps at all. To me, he's nothing more than 3rd string (at best), camp fodder, PS material. The coaches pretty much treat him as such.

If Gun decides to keep 3 MLB's (hard to do with all of our talented OLB's), then I believe Scanlon will make the 53 man roster. If they keep two MLB's, Boomer will be the backup, and Scanlon will either be cut, or on the PS.

I still think they go with 4 OLB's and 3 MLB's ..... Keep in mind that Barber will be PUP and after week 6, DV wants him on the team.

beer bacon
08-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I still think they go with 4 OLB's and 3 MLB's ..... Keep in mind that Barber will be PUP and after week 6, DV wants him on the team.

I think they go with more then four OLBs. Stills is an OLB, and they won't cut him. I see the OLBs on the final roster being DJ, Bell, Fox, Fuj, and Stills. Griffin will be on the PS.

TRR
08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I think they go with more then four OLBs. Stills is an OLB, and they won't cut him. I see the OLBs on the final roster being DJ, Bell, Fox, Fuj, and Stills. Griffin will be on the PS.

I agree. Stills will make the squad because he's a ST's ace, and he has looked decent at OLB. That's 5 OLB's...I don't see Gun keeping 8 LB's on the active roster. Gun likes to rotate his D Lineman, so I can see them keeping Hicks, Allen, Hall, Wilkerson, Browning, Siavii, Dalton and Sims. They may even try and squeek Montique Sharpe on the squad as well.