PDA

View Full Version : High cost of gas

katman1
08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Found a way to beat the high costs of gas
I only put in $20.00 each time I gas up.

jiveturkey
08-17-2005, 03:43 PM
You're the smartest person ever.

penchief
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM

Wow. That's exactly what I do, too. It's a game to see how long I can make it last. I own a Honda Civic for environmental reasons but I feel for those who own vehicles that get less mileage.

What's tough for me is that I play a game at the pump that is getting harder and harder. I try to anticipate the $20 mark and I release the nozzle in an attempt to stop right on the button. Man is that gettin' tough. I can hardly see the numbers as they spin. I'll have to admit that the pump has been winning a lot more than I have lately.

KC Dan
08-17-2005, 05:18 PM

Logical
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Wow. That's exactly what I do, too. It's a game to see how long I can make it last. I own a Honda Civic for environmental reasons but I feel for those who own vehicles that get less mileage.

What's tough for me is that I play a game at the pump that is getting harder and harder. I try to anticipate the $20 mark and I release the nozzle in an attempt to stop right on the button. Man is that gettin' tough. I can hardly see the numbers as they spin. I'll have to admit that the pump has been winning a lot more than I have lately.I wonder if pretty much every guy play this game. I certainly have always made it a habit at the pump to hit the dollar mark exactly.

kcfanintitanhell
08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
It's depressing-I was putting gas in a leaf blower yesterday and it occurred to me that the for the cost of filling up that yard implement my dad was probably able to fill up his '57 Ford station wagon. :rolleyes:

Phobia
08-17-2005, 05:44 PM
I own a Honda Civic for environmental reasons

For environmental reasons? Seriously?

If you're really serious about protecting the environment, the Amish have the right idea.

kcfanintitanhell
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM

If you're really serious about protecting the environment, the Amish have the right idea.

Maybe some Amish. But I've encountered some in western Kentucky that have left the horses in the barn and now consider the tractor to be the mode of transportation to and from the homestead to town. Maybe a different sect.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Clippity clop, clippity clop, clippity clop, BANG!

Another Amish drive-by

Uatu
08-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Not that this is a good thing, but hopefully people will start buying more fuel-efficient vehicles as a result.

penchief
08-17-2005, 07:27 PM

Hey, I do the best I can while maintaining my ability to function within society as it exists.

penchief
08-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Not that this is a good thing, but hopefully people will start buying more fuel-efficient vehicles as a result.

My next vehicle will be more efficient and more environmentally sound than the one I own now. My problem is that my current Civic is paid for. I like that about it more than anything else.

Henry
08-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Meh. They probably don't even have catalytic converters on those nags.

stevieray
08-17-2005, 07:34 PM
People are still driviing 80 in a 65.

When is that going to change?

Uatu
08-17-2005, 11:36 PM

The gas impacts their wallet a lot more often.

Law is law, but get into a man's wallet, and you hit him where he lives.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2005, 12:08 AM

What's tough for me is that I play a game at the pump that is getting harder and harder. I try to anticipate the $20 mark and I release the nozzle in an attempt to stop right on the button. Man is that gettin' tough. I can hardly see the numbers as they spin. I'll have to admit that the pump has been winning a lot more than I have lately.

That's funny.

I own a Civic also. Play the same game at the pump too. I haven't 'hit' at the pump lately either.

Taco John
08-18-2005, 12:10 AM
I blame the liberals. They taught gas makers how to raise prices.

:cuss:

Logical
08-18-2005, 12:20 AM

When is that going to change?Driving fast is more a human nature issue than an economic issue. I don't think that urge for speed will ever change.

stevieray
08-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Driving fast is more a human nature issue than an economic issue. I don't think that urge for speed will ever change.

If you want to play, you gotta pay.

luv
08-18-2005, 12:28 AM

You burn more gas, but you get where you're going quicker. You mean they don't even each other out? :)

Logical
08-18-2005, 12:38 AM
If you want to play, you gotta pay.That is why I drive a Jag that gets only around 15 mpg and love it. I don't mind paying to play.

stevieray
08-18-2005, 12:45 AM
That is why I drive a Jag that gets only around 15 mpg and love it. I don't mind paying to play.

That's what I meant, I'll believe people REALLY care about prices when they stop speeding, or quit buying 250 HP minivans and oversized grocerygetters..

BigMeatballDave
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM

When is that going to change?That has very little effect on fuel economy. I drive a '98 Buick Century, 3.1L V6. I take different routes when I visit my parents. Its 190 mi., roughly, any 1 of 3 ways that I go. If I take the interstate, I can, of course, go faster. My average speed is probably 75. If I take state routes, my average is 60. I'm using, give or take a gallon, the same amount of gas either way...

Braincase
08-18-2005, 05:49 AM
That's what I meant, I'll believe people REALLY care about prices when they stop speeding, or quit buying 250 HP minivans and oversized grocerygetters..

And those oversized vans with all the ladders and stuff on 'em... an absolute menace if you ask me! :p

stevieray
08-18-2005, 11:09 AM
And those oversized vans with all the ladders and stuff on 'em... an absolute menace if you ask me! :p

:)

That's why you'll see me in the right lane doing sixty....don't forget to wave!

KCTitus
08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
That's funny.

I own a Civic also. Play the same game at the pump too. I haven't 'hit' at the pump lately either.

20.01 yesterday...on my Hyundai Accent (it has a 9 gallon tank, I put in 7.5 gals). The pump stopped itself though.

penchief
08-18-2005, 11:51 AM
20.01 yesterday...on my Hyundai Accent (it has a 9 gallon tank, I put in 7.5 gals). The pump stopped itself though.

I was about to give you kudos for the 20.01 until you told me the pump stopped itself. If it had stopped itself right on 20.00 that would have been something.

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 12:21 PM
:clap:

Radar Chief
08-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I own a Honda Civic for environmental reasons but I feel for those who own vehicles that get less mileage.

Thatís alright, I understand. I own a motorcycle for, uh, environmental reasons. ;)

penchief
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Thatís alright, I understand. I own a motorcycle for, uh, environmental reasons. ;)

LOL.

Adept Havelock
08-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Was it wrong of me to laugh my ass off when the idiot filling his never-been-off the Hiway ugly-ass Canary Yellow Hummer started ranting about how much it was costing him to operate his vehicle?

Yes, it was wrong. And Funny too.....Especially when the veins popped out on his forehead.

StcChief
08-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Was it wrong of me to laugh my ass off when the idiot filling his never-been-off the Hiway ugly-ass Canary Yellow Hummer started ranting about how much it was costing him to operate his vehicle?

Yes, it was wrong. And Funny too.....Especially when the veins popped out on his forehead. Saw one at HH last night with 4 Sale signs on back /side windows. I thought 'Good luck finding a sucker to buy it'.
ROFL

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 08:59 AM

Yes, it was wrong. And Funny too.....Especially when the veins popped out on his forehead.

http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/178/index.php

BigRedChief
08-22-2005, 09:03 AM
And I also own a 2005 Mustang for environmental reasons also. It's cool to care about the enviornment.

Area 51
08-22-2005, 02:25 PM
One word: HYBRID

One set of numbers: 48 MPG

jiveturkey
08-22-2005, 02:30 PM

One set of numbers: 48 MPGHow about two words: Turbo Diesel?

morphius
08-22-2005, 02:34 PM
How about two words: Turbo Diesel?
Heard someone on PBS mention Common Rail Diesel, have found a few things about it. Seems they get 25% or better fuel economy then they gas counterpart. Though I would be interested in chaning the two words from "Turbo Diesel" to "Bio Diesel"

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Heard someone on PBS mention Common Rail Diesel, have found a few things about it. Seems they get 25% or better fuel economy then they gas counterpart. Though I would be interested in chaning the two words from "Turbo Diesel" to "Bio Diesel"

Turbo Diesel is the engine, Bio Diesel is the fuel.
Howís Ďbout combining the two and giveín a big FU to the whole ME. ;)

jiveturkey
08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
My PopSci mentioned a Mercedes concept car that would get about 70mpg with a turbo diesel engine.

I believe that there's a current Volkwagon that get's 50mpg.

Donger
08-22-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.greasecar.com/

jiveturkey
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Howís Ďbout combining the two and giveín a big FU to the whole ME. ;)There probably isn't a need to combine the two when you can convert an exsisting diesel engine to burn bio-diesel. The turbo portion would probably be a waste. :hmmm:

morphius
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Howís Ďbout combining the two and giveín a big FU to the whole ME. ;)
That is exactly my thought!

mlyonsd
08-22-2005, 02:52 PM

One set of numbers: 48 MPG

I should run the numbers again but a few years ago when gas spiked I ran the numbers on buying a hybrid Toyota. I compared buying it and a cheap Hundyai that got somewhere in the 30's for mpg.

I think back then I used the astronimcal number of $1.90 for a gallon of gas thinking it couldn't go above that. LOL, I wish I was paying that now.

Anyway, the cost of the hybrid was prohibitive....I figured I'd have to run it about 250,000 miles to break even.

There is a price for technology.

Area 51
08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
How about another type of Hybrid?

Diesel/Spent Vegtable Oil?

Donger
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
How about another type of Hybrid?

Diesel/Spent Vegtable Oil?

See the link in post #40.

Area 51
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I should run the numbers again but a few years ago when gas spiked I ran the numbers on buying a hybrid Toyota. I compared buying it and a cheap Hundyai that got somewhere in the 30's for mpg.

I think back then I used the astronimcal number of $1.90 for a gallon of gas thinking it couldn't go above that. LOL, I wish I was paying that now.

Anyway, the cost of the hybrid was prohibitive....I figured I'd have to run it about 250,000 miles to break even.

There is a price for technology.

You are correct, they are not cheap. I had a car that was about to die and found a used hybrid. Probably spent too much and found that repair costs can be very high. Had the car two months and Toyota had to put almost $10,000 worth of parts into the car. It was uncovered warranty but they covered it all.

Anyone wanna buy a Hybrid?

Area 51
08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
See the link in post #40.

I got to drive a VW that had the kit installed. The exhause smells like french fries (at least this one did), might smell like fried chicken if you get your grease from the Colonel!!!

What would that do for someone that had the munchies?

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 03:17 PM
There probably isn't a need to combine the two when you can convert an exsisting diesel engine to burn bio-diesel. The turbo portion would probably be a waste. :hmmm:

Blasphemy! :cuss:

jiveturkey
08-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Blasphemy! :cuss:I expected that response. :)

What's the point of turbo when you're running on veggy oil? If you can make a hotrod veggy car then I'm all for it, I just don't know.

Radar Chief
08-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I expected that response. :)

What's the point of turbo when you're running on veggy oil? If you can make a hotrod veggy car then I'm all for it, I just don't know.

More power is ALWAYS more gooder. ;)

Area 51
08-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Is your name Tim Taylor? Relative?

morphius
08-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Exactly! One of the reasons that diesel is looked down on is how slow it is, so the turbo is a must.

Radar Chief
08-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Exactly! One of the reasons that diesel is looked down on is how slow it is, so the turbo is a must.

Thing is, a Diesel engine is gonna make pretty much the same power and torque with plain ole Diesel or with BioDiesel (used veggie oil), so why neuter it by pullín the turbo?
With the turbo all the Big Three manufacturers are getín over 250 horses and over 500 lb/ft of torque out of their 1 tons, figure probably a +30% decrease just by removing the turbo.

Radar Chief
08-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Is your name Tim Taylor? Relative?

Oh, oh, oh, yuh never know. :hmmm: ;)

morphius
08-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Thing is, a Diesel engine is gonna make pretty much the same power and torque with plain ole Diesel or with BioDiesel (used veggie oil), so why neuter it by pullín the turbo?
With the turbo all the Big Three manufacturers are getín over 250 horses and over 500 lb/ft of torque out of their 1 tons, figure probably a +30% decrease just by removing the turbo.
That was kind of my thinking as well.

jiveturkey
08-23-2005, 07:36 AM
With the turbo all the Big Three manufacturers are getín over 250 horses and over 500 lb/ft of torque out of their 1 tons, figure probably a +30% decrease just by removing the turbo.Consider me educated. :)

Radar Chief
08-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Consider me educated. :)

Sorry I didnít get back sooner for a more complete response. Iím gonna pull the parent cop-out and blame the kid. ;)