PDA

View Full Version : my new puppy is eating crickets

angel
08-18-2005, 08:07 AM
At first, I thought it was funny because he was chasing them; I encouraged the behavior. The first one, he just killed, and I was proud. The next one, however, he ate. Last night, he ate an ant. Am I not providing enough protein in his diet? Why does he insist on eating bugs? Are crickets good for him?

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Just be thankful he isn't eating his own crap and move on.

edit: Or your underwear.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-18-2005, 08:10 AM
You're gonna have to put him down I'm afraid.

siberian khatru
08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Or your underwear.

That allusion is worthless without pics.

Phobia
08-18-2005, 08:15 AM
We used to call my puppy "The Cricket Hunter".... He grew out of it.

Uatu
08-18-2005, 08:15 AM
All dogs love insects. They're great for keeping them out of your house.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
My dog eats June bugs. He loves 'em.

angel
08-18-2005, 08:21 AM
so I guess I should be happy because he's ridding the office of bugs

I'm just being a fretful new puppy owner

siberian khatru
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm just being a fretful new puppy owner

Wait'll you have children.

Coach
08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Well hell, my cat eats insects whenever he's outside. I guess it's just perfectly normal,

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 08:25 AM
That allusion is worthless without pics.
http://www.pinkhairedgirl.com/archives/bdayundies.jpg

bringbackmarty
08-18-2005, 08:56 AM
just don't let him eat chocolate, grapes or raisins, there toxic to dogs.

ptlyon
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Must be an NU fan...

Bowser
08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Sounds like you need an exterminator. Bug exterminator, that is.

Bob Dole
08-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Don't move to NE Texas or the little ****er will weigh 500 pounds by the end of the year.

Saul Good
08-18-2005, 09:03 AM

Grapes and raisins? I've never heard that.

Predarat
08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Put out a bowl of anti freeze. This will surely cure your dogs desire for crickets.

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2005, 09:29 AM
My German Shepard did the same thing when he was a puppy. It's just something that puppies chase , and when they catch it they don't know what to do. So they swallow their catch. Your dog will grow out of it.

angel
08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
My German Shepard did the same thing when he was a puppy. It's just something that puppies chase , and when they catch it they don't know what to do. So they swallow their catch. Your dog will grow out of it.
he's just been pretty lethargic lately, and I was wondering if it was because of the bugs

he's half German Shepherd and half Lab, so he's pretty smart for a puppy, but lately, he's been sleeping more than I think a puppy should, and when he's awake, he eats bugs

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
he's just been pretty lethargic lately, and I was wondering if it was because of the bugs

he's half German Shepherd and half Lab, so he's pretty smart for a puppy, but lately, he's been sleeping more than I think a puppy should, and when he's awake, he eats bugs
I'm thinking "WTF is wrong with your house". If I had that many bugs my dog eating them would be the least of my concerns.

ptlyon
08-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking "WTF is wrong with your house". If I had that many bugs my dog eating them would be the least of my concerns.

Now, now. You don't know what trailer park she lives in...

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Now, now. You don't know what trailer park she lives in...

I've lived in a trailer, we didn't have that many bugs.

angel
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
it's not at my house

and it's not that many bugs, just crickets
they sneak in through the warehouse at my dad's office
we're right next to a huge field, and I guess there are lots of crickets in the field

he's only eaten three so far, but I've only had him for a week...

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2005, 09:48 AM

If he's sleeping alot that's nothing to worry about. It's an indication that your puppy is pretty laid back. I f he's not alert such as indistiguishable noises or people walking through the house, and he's not honing on them like a radar. That just means he's lazy.

ptlyon
08-18-2005, 09:49 AM

Well geez... :)

I'm sure dogs on the open prairie never did such a thing...

He'll be fine.

Scaga
08-18-2005, 09:50 AM

When it gets to 3 or 4 dozen a day...then you've got a problem. :)

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 09:53 AM
When it gets to 3 or 4 dozen a day...then you've got a problem. :)
I have to agree, 3 in a week is NOTHING.

angel
08-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I have to agree, 3 in a week is NOTHING.
sorry, I'm new to this, and I don't want a sick puppy
I worry a lot
I don't think I should ever have kids if I worry this much about a puppy, imagine how much I'd worry if my kid started eating bugs... I'd probably rush him to the emergency room

Bowser
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I worry a lot
I don't think I should ever have kids if I worry this much about a puppy, imagine how much I'd worry if my kid started eating bugs... I'd probably rush him to the emergency room

A few times cleaning up puke and crappy diapers will take care of that fear of worrying about everything. Trust me on this.

Chief Faithful
I used to have a dog that ate Cicadas all her life. She would go outside to catch them and try to bring them in the house to eat. She would come to the door holding them in her closed mouth causing her head to resonate a muffled buzzing sound. We would tell the dog to "drop it" so she would gently nip the Cicada and let drop dead from her mouth. Then next time the dog would go out she would pick it up and eat it.

Strange little dog who loved bugs. The bugs never made her sick or caused worms so we just let her have her fun.

Simplex3
I worry a lot
If it was a kid I really wouldn't worry.

tomahawk kid
08-18-2005, 10:01 AM
it's not at my house

and it's not that many bugs, just crickets
they sneak in through the warehouse at my dad's office
we're right next to a huge field, and I guess there are lots of crickets in the field

My Schnauzer still hunts / eats crickets and she's almost 2.

I haven't tried to stop her, since I just figured it was something all dogs do.

tomahawk kid
08-18-2005, 10:03 AM
I worry a lot

Your pooch shouldn't get sick unless he/she eats ALOT of them.

The sleeping thing is just them being a pup. Most puppies sleep alot.

Simplex3
08-18-2005, 10:18 AM
My Schnauzer still hunts / eats crickets and she's almost 2.

I haven't tried to stop her, since I just figured it was something all dogs do.
Yes, but Schnauzers are stupid, disgusting, disease-ridden flea bags.

:p

Valiant
08-18-2005, 10:36 AM

I give our dog grapes all the time, never hurt her... Lil bitch favorite food is cantelope...

angel
08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
update:
he just caught another one

tomahawk kid
08-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes, but Schnauzers are stupid, disgusting, disease-ridden flea bags.

:p

Oh, yeah...well.....well.....your momma wears combat boots........

:)

Rain Man
08-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I used to have a dog that ate Cicadas all her life. She would go outside to catch them and try to bring them in the house to eat. She would come to the door holding them in her closed mouth causing her head to resonate a muffled buzzing sound. We would tell the dog to "drop it" so she would gently nip the Cicada and let drop dead from her mouth. Then next time the dog would go out she would pick it up and eat it.

Strange little dog who loved bugs. The bugs never made her sick or caused worms so we just let her have her fun.

Did your dog look like this?

http://www.sheddnet.org/images/ani_bios_pop_goliath_spider.jpg

Saul Good
08-18-2005, 12:19 PM

That's only 3 more than I've eaten this week.

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
i had a jack russell terrier that would jump up and catch fire flys, but she also killed stray cats. thinking back, might have been something wrong with her

angel
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Did your dog look like this?

EW!!! NO!! and I'm very upset with that picture... I'm very much not a fan of spiders... I'm going to have nightmares now...

here's a picture that I took with my dad's camera just now before the battery died- the flash is too bright, but it's a picture of my new puppy

Count Zarth
08-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Cricket is good eatin'.

ptlyon
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
here's a picture that I took with my dad's camera just now before the battery died- the flash is too bright, but it's a picture of my new puppy

Nice mug shot

onescrewleftuntwisted
08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
good lookin pup

Rain Man
08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
EW!!! NO!! and I'm very upset with that picture... I'm very much not a fan of spiders... I'm going to have nightmares now...

I wondered if you thought that terriorantula was an actual breed. Those pet shop owners can really take advantage of people sometimes.

Skip Towne
08-18-2005, 02:21 PM
update:
he just caught another one
OK, keep us posted.

angel
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
OK, keep us posted.
oh will do

he's sleeping right now

but I'll let you all know if he moves or makes any noises or anything

angel
08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I wondered if you thought that terriorantula was an actual breed. Those pet shop owners can really take advantage of people sometimes.
funny, but I'm not that stupid

the terriorantula they had was obviously a mixed breed and they were trying to sell him at purebred price- I didn't fall for it

angel
11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
OK, keep us posted.
he's cleaned out the cricket population for this area and has moved on to grasshoppers

he says Priest will be fine

KChiefsQT
11-09-2005, 02:34 PM
he's cleaned out the cricket population for this area and has moved on to grasshoppers

he says Priest will be fine
hahaha can you send him over here.... i have found 5 potato bugs in the last couple days outside in the yard.

Amnorix
11-09-2005, 02:58 PM
I worry a lot

My youngest has definitely eaten a couple of bugs. That little future linebacker will eat just about anything that can't move faster than he can. :shake:

For dogs, though, it's really no big deal. Just consider it a source of protein and don't worry about it. The crickets are both entertainment and food to the little pup....

Seek
11-09-2005, 03:02 PM
At first, I thought it was funny because he was chasing them; I encouraged the behavior. The first one, he just killed, and I was proud. The next one, however, he ate. Last night, he ate an ant. Am I not providing enough protein in his diet? Why does he insist on eating bugs? Are crickets good for him?

Each year my dog finds a different instect to chew on. Her first year it was June Bugs. Then Grasshoppers, and now Flies.

Cochise
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Our dog used to eat bugs all the time. She loved grasshoppers, crickets, junebugs, cicadas, anything that made noise or tried to escape and represented a game.

I dont think they can hurt the puppy. Just harmless fun. Heck there are cultures where insects are staples of the human diet.

mike_b_284
11-09-2005, 03:13 PM

good looking dog, all puppies sleep a lot and I assure you bugs will not hurt him.

mike_b_284
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
hahaha can you send him over here.... i have found 5 potato bugs in the last couple days outside in the yard.

What is a potato bug?

KChiefsQT
11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
http://www.sixsquare.com/blog/images/0404/potato_bug.jpg

StcChief
11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Wait til he's old and barks and spiders/flies in house

acasas4
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
My son has a lizard that eats about 2 dozen crickets a day. Seriously both of my dogs dig for and eat worms and it's never bothered them.:Lin:

Jenny Gump
11-09-2005, 04:36 PM
My son used to do this. It's just a phase.

mike_b_284
11-09-2005, 04:50 PM
that potato bug just looks like a fat ant

Jenny Gump
11-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I killed a fly in my house last night the size of Latvia.

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I killed a fly in my house last night the size of Latvia.
You draw flies?

Donger
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
http://www.sixsquare.com/blog/images/0404/potato_bug.jpg

WTF is that thing? Is that real?

joesomebody
11-09-2005, 05:23 PM
My puppy eats flies and moths... catches them out of mid air... It's funny to watch, and doesn't bother me a bit.

He also refuses to chew on anything but my shoes, my couch, and the kitchen table.

At least he doesn't chew on my speaker wires anymore.

KChiefsQT
11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
WTF is that thing? Is that real?
you're kidding right??? Someone tell me they've seen potato bugs before. They're nasty!!!

joesomebody
11-09-2005, 05:38 PM
you're kidding right??? Someone tell me they've seen potato bugs before. They're nasty!!!Nope, can't say I have. And I live 60 miles from Idaho... no clue what a potato bug is, that picture you posted makes them look huge.

Tobacco worms, I've seen Tobacco worms.

KChiefsQT
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Nope, can't say I have. And I live 60 miles from Idaho... no clue what a potato bug is, that picture you posted makes them look huge.

Tobacco worms, I've seen Tobacco worms.

http://www.potatobugs.com