PDA

View Full Version : WH hemorrhaging in Iraq continues...

memyselfI
08-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Moderator please move.

Putin calling for a time table for withdrawal. The State Deparment's 'told you so' memos. About the only thing that can save face for the WH is if the Iraqis somehow agree to a document on Monday. :eek:

http://today.reuters.com/News/CrisesArticle.aspx?storyId=L18228690

Russian Putin calls for timetable for Iraq pull-out
Thu 18 Aug 2005 1:50 PM ET
MOSCOW, Aug 18 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday it was vital to draw up a timetable for withdrawal of foreign troops from Iraq to encourage insurgents to take part in creating their state. Putin, who opposed the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, also repeated Moscow's call for an international conference on Iraq to help bring peace to the country.

"We believe it is necessary to work out a timetable for the gradual withdrawal of foreign troops from Iraq," Putin, quoted by Itar-Tass news agency, said after meeting Jordan's King Abdullah in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.

"Many Iraqis still see them as occupiers. This is simply the reality. Resolving this task will enable a significant part of the armed Iraqi resistance to be brought into the process of creating a state."

President George W. Bush has consistently refused to set a date for withdrawal from Iraq, insisting that a timetable depends on the readiness of Iraqi troops to enforce stability.

Putin repeated Russia's long-standing call to hold an international conference by the end of the year to help the process in Iraq, where U.S. and Iraqi forces are battling a Sunni Arab insurgency against the Shi'ite and Kurdish-led government in Baghdad.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/08/18/a2.nat.warplan.0818.p1.php?section=nation_world

Documents reveal pre-war warnings
The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, August 18, 2005

WASHINGTON - The State Department warned U.S. Central Command before the invasion of Iraq of ``serious planning gaps'' for postwar security, according to newly declassified documents.

In a memorandum dated Feb. 7, 2003 - one month before the beginning of the Iraq war - State Department officials also wrote that ``a failure to address short-term public security and humanitarian assistance concerns could result in serious human rights abuses which would undermine an otherwise successful military campaign, and our reputation internationally.''

advertisement The documents were acquired by George Washington University's National Security Archive under the Freedom of Information Act. They were posted on the research group's Web site Wednesday and first reported by NBC News.

The February 2003 memo was written by three State Department bureau chiefs for Undersecretary Paula Dobriansky. The authors wrote, ``We have raised these issues with top CENTCOM officials and General Garner.'' Retired Army Gen. Jay Garner was the first U.S. administrator in Baghdad after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

The bureau chiefs warned that there could be ``serious planning gaps for post-conflict public security and humanitarian assistance between the end of the war and the beginning of reconstruction.''

A State Department report to Congress nine months into the war offered a more optimistic assessment. The Dec. 15, 2003, report said: ``Iraqis are playing an increasing role both in routine civil policing and in combating the terror and sabotage ... . More and more Iraqis are coming forward with intelligence information that helps the Coalition conduct increasingly successful operations to prevent planned terrorist attacks, capture insurgents and seize weapons caches.''

``At the same time,'' the report said, ``the insurgents have used more sophisticated tactics.''

The authors also acknowledged that ``restoring public safety remains more challenging than dealing with ordinary crime.''

State Department spokesman Kurtis Cooper declined to comment on the newly released documents Wednesday night.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2005, 05:15 PM
oops ... wrong forum

Saulbadguy
08-18-2005, 05:15 PM
OOOPS.

:)

tk13
08-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Denise definitely leads the league in "accidental" political posts in the main forum.

memyselfI
08-18-2005, 05:16 PM
OOOPS.

:)

Thanks, I'm not sure how that happened. I don't think I've even read a single post today on the main forum. :hmmm:

memyselfI
08-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Denise definitely leads the league in "accidental" political posts in the main forum.

I've posted so little in the main forum over the summer that I don't make it a point to check...probably should. :redface:

Mr. Kotter
08-18-2005, 05:20 PM

I'm sure they are "accidental" too. :)

memyselfI
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm sure they are "accidental" too. :)

They are. I certainly don't need a bunch of people getting their panties in a twist just because I chose the wrong forum.

I can twist plenty o' panties in the DC forum...don't need more. :p