PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the last part of last year's X-Mas Radiers game...

|Zach|
08-19-2005, 04:56 AM
I was up organizing some of my crap for my trip back to Springfield when I saw a video tape of last year's game against the Raiders. I remember being there and having a freakin blast. I watched the last 6 mins or so and kept an eye on our defense.

It seems to me...

This group has big problem controlling their own bodies and their own paths. Esp the defensive line. I remember my defensive coach always making a big deal about taking deliberate steps. One step that doesn't have a purpose or is misguided can take you right out of a play. Each step has to have a purpose...you have to control your body and own what you are doing out there. Our defense has alot to learn in this area. It was to easy to use our lines own momentum to knock them into no man's land. If an offensive lineman is trying to sweep you right out of the play these guys need to be able to change gear's and shift their momentum to keep themselves in a position to make a play. During this small stretch of time our inside line looked good...Sims even looked great at times. But out DEs and our LBs when lining up on the line in 2 point stances would do half of the OLs job and take themselves out of plays. Hopefully we will be playing smarter next year.

A few other random observations...

- There were a few times when Green made very athletic plays that I wouldn't expect from him. His pocket presence is incredible. He is not easy to catch back there.

- I like the way Larry Johnson runs North\South. He does a very good job of giving hits when he runs instead of absorbing them. He has so much power and a solid base. There are times when his pad level is waaay to high. Hopefully he can remember to keep those shoulders down.

- When Janikowsi was about ready to kick a FG Enberg called him Sea Bass. I had never heard this...I don't know why but it made me laugh.

- Parker made two great catches. His game awareness is impressive when you consider how young he is. He does really good things with his feet. He has a lot of doubters on here and I am not one of them.

- During the last KO off the game when the defense was going out it was important we did well in coverage. For some reason I was suprised to see that all the STs were huddled around Quinton Caver. I thought it was interesting that he was the guy rallying the troops and getting everyone in line. Fred Jones ended up making a nice open field tackle.

Those are some things that stood out to me when I made this little trip to last X-Mas on video. It got me excited for football...and for a better football team.

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2005, 05:22 AM
- Parker made two great catches. His game awareness is impressive when you consider how young he is. He does really good things with his feet. He has a lot of doubters on here and I am not one of them.Totally with you, there.

There aren't words in English or German to describe his play in limited action last year, but in Spanish they call it "Impresivo."

Swanman
08-19-2005, 07:26 AM
I was at the game as well. It was the first time I'd been to Arrowhead for a game and it was a good one, although it meant nothing because both teams were out of the playoff picture weeks before.

I remember thinking that Dante HAD to have a good return before the last drive and he did just that to get the Chiefs in good field position.

About Green's ability to make physical plays, what really impresses me is his ability to make the tiniest movement to make a defensive player miss a sack. Many of the great quarterbacks in the game that couldn't run very well had the same ability.

jspchief
08-19-2005, 07:48 AM
This group has big problem controlling their own bodies and their own paths. Esp the defensive line. I remember my defensive coach always making a big deal about taking deliberate steps. One step that doesn't have a purpose or is misguided can take you right out of a play. Each step has to have a purpose...you have to control your body and own what you are doing out there. Our defense has alot to learn in this area. It was to easy to use our lines own momentum to knock them into no man's land. If an offensive lineman is trying to sweep you right out of the play these guys need to be able to change gear's and shift their momentum to keep themselves in a position to make a play. During this small stretch of time our inside line looked good...Sims even looked great at times. But out DEs and our LBs when lining up on the line in 2 point stances would do half of the OLs job and take themselves out of plays. Hopefully we will be playing smarter next year.

Yep. They are constantly over-pursuing or over-committing to going in one direction. And it's usually the almost the entire team going one way, so whenever the RB cuts back he finds half of the field wide open. It was the same thing against the Vikings last week.

I realize you want your guys to be aggressive and flow to the ball, gang tackle, etc. But when the entire team commits to going one direction, and the play turns back against that direction, it makes for big plays by the offense.

I have no clue how it's corrected, but I hope Gun does.

Cormac
08-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Each step has to have a purpose...you have to control your body and own what you are doing out there. Our defense has alot to learn in this area.
This is a good way of looking at it......:hmmm:

There were a few times when Green made very athletic plays that I wouldn't expect from him. His pocket presence is incredible. He is not easy to catch back there.
Green's mobility is hugely underrated. He's not fast, but he can move very effectively. It's the timing of his out-of-the-pocket runs that sets him apart. He rarely runs into a sack and takes off when he has some open room. Then he sets up his blocks and doesn't back down from a hit either. This is one of my favourite parts of Green's game :clap:

Parker made two great catches. His game awareness is impressive when you consider how young he is. He does really good things with his feet. He has a lot of doubters on here and I am not one of them.
I doubted Parker's ability to be an every-down WR. He has very little experience, but he has also shown a lot in limited opportunity. We'll see how he does. I don't expect more than ~30-35 catches.

|Zach|
08-19-2005, 12:15 PM
I realize you want your guys to be aggressive and flow to the ball Indeed. Alot of times these guys seem to think flowing to the ball always means going full speed somewhere hell or highwater. A part of it is knowing when the change gears and change directions to react to the play or to counter what an OL is doing to you. So many times the lineman is going to tell you where the ball is going.

Chest Rockwell
08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
- There were a few times when Green made very athletic plays that I wouldn't expect from him. His pocket presence is incredible. He is not easy to catch back there.

Completely agree with you there.

I've always referred to him as elusive. Being that I live in Colorado, Donk fans always go to great lenghts to make fun of me for that. I don't sweat them though, as their idea of elsusive is running around like a drunken monkey, then throwing the ball with your left hand.

Rain Man
08-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Green's mobility is hugely underrated. He's not fast, but he can move very effectively. It's the timing of his out-of-the-pocket runs that sets him apart. He rarely runs into a sack and takes off when he has some open room. Then he sets up his blocks and doesn't back down from a hit either. This is one of my favourite parts of Green's game :clap:

He blocks well, too. Anyone got that clip from the Buffalo game?

Green is elusive in the pocket and has great awareness back there. I'm not sure how one develops that skill, but it's sure handy. I used to enjoy watching Marc Wilson of the Rai ders get hammered, because he had no pocket awareness at all.

ZootedGranny
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
My favorite part of the game was Janikowski waving bye to the crowd after he kicked what he thought was the game winning field goal.

The very next play, Dante runs it all the way down field, and as that trash heap wrapped in flesh known as Sebastian is laying on the ground, the Chiefs players are celebrating above his worthless body, and he's trying to shield someone from stepping on him. Dante should've dropped a deuce right in his mouth right then.

Swanman
08-19-2005, 12:40 PM
He blocks well, too. Anyone got that clip from the Buffalo game?

Green is elusive in the pocket and has great awareness back there. I'm not sure how one develops that skill, but it's sure handy. I used to enjoy watching Marc Wilson of the Rai ders get hammered, because he had no pocket awareness at all.

Drew Bledsoe's another guy that seems to have no pocket awareness. Sometimes it seems like he positions himself so the defender can get a better hit on him. I remember the game against the Bills a couple years ago when he would stand in the pocket like a statue for 10 seconds until someone from the Chiefs would tattoo him, usually from the blindside.

|Zach|
08-19-2005, 01:18 PM
My favorite part of the game was Janikowski waving bye to the crowd after he kicked what he thought was the game winning field goal.

The very next play, Dante runs it all the way down field, and as that trash heap wrapped in flesh known as Sebastian is laying on the ground, the Chiefs players are celebrating above his worthless body, and he's trying to shield someone from stepping on him. Dante should've dropped a deuce right in his mouth right then.I got a kick out of the wave as well.

I also liked the first drive that I watched. There were about 6 mins left and the Chiefs drove down for a TD. On the TD play LJ pretty much went head on into a guy that what is a great position to tackle him...he somehow got into the endzone with just raw power carrying a few guys by the time he was in. It was just one of those him against me battles and LJ was the clear winner...I think this defender had been talking a lot of shit because LJ made it a point to walk back and give him a few glances...quite funny.

ZootedGranny
08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
I think this defender had been talking a lot of shit because LJ made it a point to walk back and give him a few glances...quite funny.

YES!

I remember some people complaining about him running his mouth, but I loved it. He ran through the guy, stood up and looked down at the guy on the ground and told him to kneel before Zod.

|Zach|
08-19-2005, 01:26 PM
YES!

I remember some people complaining about him running his mouth, but I loved it. He ran through the guy, stood up and looked down at the guy on the ground and told him to kneel before Zod.Pretty much.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I was 12 rows from the top of the stadium at that game. North side, 50 yard line. I was the guy in red.

jynni
08-19-2005, 01:41 PM
That was a great game. the rowdier than usual crowd made it even more fun.

We saw two Raider fans get hauled off by the police after the game. There were also several fights in the parking lot.