PDA

View Full Version : Browns: Davis given permission to seek trade

Mr. Laz
08-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Wide receiver is position of depth for Browns, could lead to deal

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports writer

BEREA - Trade rumors that have been swirling around wide receiver Andre Davis are now reality.

The Browns gave Davis and his agent permission to seek a trade on Thursday.

The team would not comment, and Davis was not available, but a league source with knowledge of the situation said the Browns informed Davis' agent he could seek another team.

Davis was the subject of trade rumors prior to camp when word broke that the Seattle Seahawks had called to check on his availability.

The Browns did not seriously pursue a deal at the time, but during camp the Browns have told Davis that if other teams called to ask about him, they had to listen because wide receiver is one spot where the team has depth.

However, the Browns also told Davis that if he wasn't traded, general manager Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel considered him an important part of the team.

The rumors and discussions seemed to bother Davis, though. He's had a camp that Crennel described as ``average,'' and he's carried himself as if he wasn't sure he was wanted.

CAREER RECEIVING STATS
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Lg TD
2002 CLE 16 37 420 11.4 31 06
2003 CLE 16 40 576 14.4 49 05
2004 CLE 07 16 416 26.0 99 02
Total 39 93 1412 15.2 99 13

This week, he even lost the kickoff return job to rookie Josh Cribbs, who is expected to be the first return man this weekend in Detroit against the Lions.

Crennel admitted that the rumors can affect a player.

``He doesn't know,'' Crennel said. ``He wonders, `Am I going to be here or not?' Then every little thing that happens, he starts to worry about.''

Crennel tried to tell Davis to ignore the outside talk and just do his best, but Davis has not had the kind of camp he had in the past.

One year ago, he left camp as a starting receiver but missed the final nine games with a sprained toe. It was the second year in a row he finished the year injured, and led to talk that he was a track star playing football.

Davis addressed that tag the first week of camp by saying: ``If I'm a track guy playing football, I'm going to add another year to it. It doesn't bother me at all if people label me like that as long as I can go out there and make big plays the way I know I can.''

Davis was the Browns' second-round draft choice in 2002, and he will be a free agent after this season. But Antonio Bryant's contract is up after this season as well, so that's not the only reason the Browns have given Davis permission to seek a deal.

The reasons include:

• The emergence of Bryant. He has probably been the team's flashiest player in camp.

• The drafting of wide receiver Braylon Edwards with the third overall pick. It's considered a matter of time before Edwards moves up the depth chart.

• The fact that Savage and Crennel both like wide receiver Dennis Northcutt.

• The fact that other teams know the Browns are deep at receiver. It's a position the Browns can move a player and gain a draft pick for Savage to use in future years.

• Davis' history of injuries, which fair or not tends to tag a player.

If he's traded, it's conjecture where Davis winds up.

The Seahawks (who released Koren Robinson) and the Philadelphia Eagles (who lost Todd Pinkston) need receivers, but the Browns might want to wait through this weekend's games to see if another team loses a receiver to injury before deciding on a deal.

Safety Chris Crocker also has been mentioned in trade rumors, but those rumors appear unsubstantiated. The Browns believe Crocker has done well rotating at safety with Sean Jones and Brian Russell.

``I think Chris has done a nice job for us,'' Crennel said when asked how Crocker has played. ``He's a quick guy with good explosion and break on the ball. We plan to get him in the game sooner Saturday to give him a shot.''

Rain Man
08-19-2005, 10:12 AM
It looks like 25 percent of his yards last year came on one catch. I wonder if it was a touchdown.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I'll trade Junior Siavii and a 12 pack of beer for him straight up.

siberian khatru
08-19-2005, 10:14 AM
It looks like 25 percent of his yards last year came on one catch. I wonder if it was a touchdown.

Wouldn't it be cool to have two guys on the roster who have 99-yard TD catches in their careers?

jspchief
08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Depending on the asking price, I'd like the Chiefs to look at him.

I know we have a bit of a log jam at that position, but I'd rather have experienced guys battling for the spot than scrubs.

One of the reasons I like Davis is he's a bit bigger. It seems like all of our guys are on the small side. The guy has been pretty productive when given an opportunity.

I imagine teams that are a bit more desperate are going to drive up the price though.

J Diddy
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM

Shipping alone will cost you a fortune.

Chest Rockwell
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM

I think I'd keep the beer and give 'em FredEx.

I thought the whole, "hey, if we don't trade you, we want you to know that we think you're an important part of our offense" thing was kinda funny. Kinda like telling your SO, "hey, I'm trying to hook up with that hot waitress over at Hooters, but if that dosen't work out, I really want you to know I love you and you're very special to me."

bringbackmarty
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
No, I think you mean I'll trade fred ex and siavii for andre davis and a case of good beer. that's the best trade imo.

MOhillbilly
08-19-2005, 11:13 AM
doesnt sound real durable.

Nightfyre
08-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing him over here.

ct
08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I'd take him over a healthy FredEx anyday. Question is, what do they want for him?

Ralphy Boy
08-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Just think, we could have had him instead of Eddie Freeman.

I know the Chiefs were interested in him, DV said so when they drafted Freeman.

Mr. Laz
08-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd take him over a healthy FredEx anyday. Question is, what do they want for him?
yep

the Talking Can
08-19-2005, 11:57 AM

maybe they'll take an injured FredEx?

Mr. Kotter
08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
He's definitely worth a look at the right price....if Mitchell doesn't make the team; he's better than Mitchell IMHO.

PastorMikH
08-19-2005, 12:49 PM
What about a trade, him for Woods. Even if we end up cutting Davis, the Browns get to pay Woods instead of us. I hate the thought of shelling out that kind of dough for a bench rider.

ct
08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
maybe they'll take an injured FredEx?

Works for me, see if you can make it happen. I'll treat ya to your fav flav 6pak if you pull it off. Hell, if you can get rid of McCleon while you're at it, I'll make it a double.

Seriously though, he's still got decent value, but definitely has the injury prone tag. So maybe a 5th round value? Scanlon anyone?

ct
I'd better duck and cover now...

Mr. Laz
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Works for me, see if you can make it happen. I'll treat ya to your fav flav 6pak if you pull it off. Hell, if you can get rid of McCleon while you're at it, I'll make it a double.

Seriously though, he's still got decent value, but definitely has the injury prone tag. So maybe a 5th round value? Scanlon anyone?

ct
trade fredex to philly for a 5th rounder...

trade 5th rounder to cleveland for davis

:shrug:

ct
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM

:shrug:

Same offer as to the can, make if happen Laz!

jspchief
08-19-2005, 02:03 PM

:shrug:Why wouldn't Philly just trade their 5th for Davis, and avoid bringing back the cancer they just got rid of?

the Talking Can
08-19-2005, 02:04 PM

ct

I'd offer a fruit basket of Mitchell/Horn/Scanlon/Woods for him.

Chest Rockwell
08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Why wouldn't Philly just trade their 5th for Davis, and avoid bringing back the cancer they just got rid of?

Hey, hey, hey...you take your logic to a board where it's welcome, mister.

Mr. Laz
08-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Why wouldn't Philly just trade their 5th for Davis, and avoid bringing back the cancer they just got rid of?

hush with the logic!

ct
08-19-2005, 02:14 PM

Can't ya just play along for just a minute?

Look fellas(ahem...Roys), get real. Scanlon is not going to contribute for KC. Right now he's got more value then he will ever have. Trade him while you can.

htismaqe
08-19-2005, 02:50 PM
If we're going to trade for a Cleveland Brown named Davis, I'd prefer Andra over Andre...

buddha
08-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Davis is a solid receiver...I'd take him over Mitchell any day of the week. Davis has actually done a few things in his career besides run his mouth.

With all the WR injuries, why not?

Tribal Warfare
08-19-2005, 04:23 PM
What about a trade, him for Woods. Even if we end up cutting Davis, the Browns get to pay Woods instead of us. I hate the thought of shelling out that kind of dough for a bench rider.

I concur

Nightfyre
08-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Heres a bump to show our support for acquiring Davis.

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 05:32 AM
No thanks...if they had a D-Lineman or a CB I might spring