PDA

View Full Version : Boomer's latest diary (8/19)...

shaneo69
08-19-2005, 12:08 PM
BOOMER GRIGSBY
Aug 19, 2005, 11:13:00 AM

Rookie Diary - Entry 1 - Entry 2 - Entry 3 - Entry 4
Entry 5 Ė August 18, 2005

Another Rookie Diary brings another round of Rookie hazing stories.

I had to sing in front of the team again. Last time I sang I was prepared for it and did a little Dixieland Delight. This time they didnít give me any warning, the guys just yelled my name and made me sing on cue. Since I did the first song so flamboyantly they made sure that all the coaches and all the players were in the room when I sang this time.

The way it works is we have an 8:00 pm team meeting. So as the players are coming in and getting settled, they start making rookies sing. This usually starts around 7:55 or so, just before the meeting. For me they waited until 8:00 when everyone was in there. Everybody was just sitting there waiting for Coach Vermeil to start his speech to the team. Thatís when I get the nod that I have to sing. It was like they brought me out of the bullpen to fire everybody up or something. They knew that I would come with my A game.

So this time I sang a little Kenny Rogers, The Gambler. I was trying to be very universal and multi-cultural to my audience. I asked the guys if they wanted to hear Lean on Me. I didnít really get the response I wanted, so I said ďhow about The Gambler?Ē and there was a huge universal response. So I decided to go in that direction and I think it was a big hit. I didnít quite nail it like I did the first performance, but I was complimented on bringing my A game.

We hold our team meetings in a science classroom here on campus. Itís a tiered room with stadium seating and a giant lab desk at the bottom. Thereís an overhead projector on it and they turn the light on and point it at you. So there you are, standing on a four-foot table with a spotlight on you, so youíre on stage.

So I did my singing, but I also did this little thing called the country stomp to get everybody into it. When I do it I have my elbow out to my side kind of like a chicken and I move it and my leg to the beat as I sing. I canít just sit there and sing, I have to try to get the crowd into it. Iím an entertainer. I think it went over pretty well.

Well, weíre getting ready to hit the road from training camp. I canít wait to get back to Kansas City and start making a home. I wonít miss these dorm rooms either. The trucks are leaving this morning with all of our equipment and gear and our plane takes off this afternoon from the Minneapolis airport. Just one more walk-through to go and itís adios River Falls.

Iíll try to give you a few more updates once we get back to Kansas City, including a run-down of my stirring portrayal of Gunther Cunningham on Rookie Night. See you on the field at Arrowhead! I canít wait.

Boomer

Mr. Laz
08-19-2005, 12:12 PM
So I did my singing, but I also did this little thing called the country stomp to get everybody into it. When I do it I have my elbow out to my side kind of like a chicken and I move it and my leg to the beat as I sing. I canít just sit there and sing, I have to try to get the crowd into it. Iím an entertainer. I think it went over pretty well.

this guy is quite the character ROFL

Katipan
08-19-2005, 12:12 PM
i wanna have his babies

Rain Man
08-19-2005, 12:40 PM
The Gambler seems too mellow for a rookie hazing. I'd think that you'd want to go with something like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" or "Oklahoma" or something.

jynni
08-19-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised they don't make them sing "I Feel Pretty".

I guess JoMo isn't there anymore though...

Spicy McHaggis
08-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm surprised they don't make them sing "I Feel Pretty".

I guess JoMo isn't there anymore though...

That's so insensitive.

Everyone knows it was "I Will Survive"

jcroft
08-19-2005, 01:35 PM
If, for some reason, Boomer doesn't make the team, he ought to retire and become a PR consultant for other NFL players. Seriously, if everyone were a bit more like this guy, no one would complain about them getting millions upon millions of dollars per year.

KChiefsQT
08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
i wanna have his babies

Now...you're messing with my territory. I'm already kissing up to Grams and Gramps with rep... so steer clear of this one.

Katipan
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Now...you're messing with my territory. I'm already kissing up to Grams and Gramps with rep... so steer clear of this one.

You can have grampa's babies

ptlyon
08-19-2005, 02:27 PM

knocked up yet?

KChiefsQT
08-19-2005, 02:32 PM

and get on Grams bad side... no thanks. :)

Big Chief Homer
08-19-2005, 02:46 PM
That's so insensitive.
everyone knows it was "I Will Survive"

Now I heard it was "IT's Raining Men" :hmmm: