PDA

View Full Version : Good News - No, It Can't be

KC Dan
08-19-2005, 04:59 PM
In my new effort to find actual good news, I am going to attampt to post good news stories as I come across them. Here's the first:

Waging War in Iraq - - Against Polio
Health workers fanned out across Iraq this month to immunize more than 4 million Iraqi children against polio. The effort is an extension of ongoing immunization programs led by the Iraqi Ministry of Health and supported by UNICEF, the World Health Organization and the Red Crescent. Although Iraq suffered a major outbreak of polio in 1999, increased assistance from UNICEF and WHO has led to zero cases since January 2000.

UNICEF said the polio campaign is crucial to protecting not only Iraqi children from the disease but also to preventing polio outbreaks elsewhere in the region. “This is a disease that crosses borders easily,” said Carol Bellamy, executive director of UNICEF, “so it is essential that we complete this year's immunization and reach every child.”

“The situation of Iraqi children has been very difficult for more than 15 years,” said Carol Bellamy, executive director of UNICEF. “No matter what the global situation, we cannot shrink from the ongoing work of reaching out to help them. We must do everything we can to protect them.”

More than 14,000 health workers went door to door making sure each child is vaccinated.

Bellamy said that for many people, this campaign is an act of hope and faith in the future. “And it's a major achievement for a country that has been devastated by two major wars and 12 years of sanctions.”

memyselfI
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Bravo.

:clap: Good for the organizations who made this happen.

stevieray
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
until everyone has big rims and a cell phone, it doesn't matter.

Donger
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Bravo.

:clap:

Don't forget; it 'doesn't matter' until The Independent Iraqi Good News/Bad News Quantifying Society determines that such news has reached a level higher than the bad news.

memyselfI
08-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Don't forget; it 'doesn't matter' until The Independent Iraqi Good News/Bad News Quantifying Society determines that such news has reached a level higher than the bad news.

You don't agree that eradicating illness that plagues or threatens to plague a society qualifies as a greater good? That not having to spend resources on this illness will benefit other aspects of society?

I think this is a good news story and thankfully the agencies that aided the IHM were there to make it happen.

KC Dan
08-19-2005, 05:08 PM
You don't agree that eradicating illness that plagues or threatens to plague a society qualifies as a greater good? That not having to spend resources on this illness will benefit other aspects of society?

I think this is a good news story and thankfully the agencies that aided the IHM were there to make it happen.
Agreed, oh God I feel sick.....:)

mlyonsd
08-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Time for everyone to hold hands.

KC Dan
08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
You know what is funny? When you look for good news on the Internet that the majority seems to come from religious organizations. You know, the ones that the secularists are trying to get rid of. I just find it kinda interesting. That is all.

Iowanian
08-19-2005, 07:15 PM
This is obviously just an attempt by unicef to inject mercury into the innocent Iraqi children.......

Saulbadguy
08-19-2005, 07:20 PM
YES YES!

Logical
08-20-2005, 01:05 AM
This is obviously just an attempt by unicef to inject mercury into the innocent Iraqi children.......Actually it is the CIA's way to secretly put markers in them so they can be tracked by satellite.;)

Nice story Dan