PDA

View Full Version : Good News - From Afghanistan -- No Way!

KC Dan
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
UPDATE: AFGHANISTANFactions Turn in Their Weapons -- Students Return to ClassroomsChildren - both boys and girls - returned to school in massive numbers around Afghanistan. Nearly 1.25 million children are now attending school in 20 provinces, according to preliminary data collected from two thirds of the country, covering some 2,744 schools. UNICEF believes that the final number of children in the classroom will exceed all expectations. 30% of pupils now attending school are girls. Enrollment of girls prior to the Taliban era was negligible. Over 27,000 teachers are back in school. 36% are women. (07/02) United Nations Children's Fund

Three Afghan factions began turning over their weapons in the first voluntary disarmament exercise ever in the country. In a process supervised by Afghan elders, the weapons are being delivered to collection points, registered and kept under guard by appointed leaders of the three factions. The district has been the scene of four separate conflicts over the past six months. The United Nations reports unanimous public support for expanding disarmament in the region. (July 18) www.un.org/news (http://www.un.org/news)

Logical
08-19-2005, 05:54 PM
I know this was meant to be a parody thread but this really is good news. Especially that girls are now getting a chance of improving themselves with formal education. That really is a sign of progress.

KC Dan
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I know this was meant to be a parody thread but this really is good news. Especially that girls are now getting a chance of improving themselves with formal education. That really is a sign of progress.
Actually, I didn't mean it to be a parody thread. I really am trying to post good news stories to at least give some balance to the negativity in here. There are thousands of good news stories occurring every day worldwide but our wonderful media doesn't boost their ratings with good stories thus it is hard to find good news reported these days.

Logical
08-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Actually, I didn't mean it to be a parody thread. I really am trying to post good news stories to at least give some balance to the negativity in here. There are thousands of good news stories occurring every day worldwide but our wonderful media doesn't boost their ratings with good stories thus it is hard to find good news reported these days.:clap:

I applaud your motives.