PDA

View Full Version : OK, I need a mean chili recipe.

Fire Me Boy!
08-20-2005, 02:25 AM
I'm in a chili mood, so I'm gonna make some tomorrow...

But I want something that's exceptionally good, and specifically something a little different. I've seen some recipes where you grill the meat before chopping it, or smoked meat instead, whatever...

Logical
08-20-2005, 03:48 AM
I'm in a chili mood, so I'm gonna make some tomorrow...

But I want something that's exceptionally good, and specifically something a little different. I've seen some recipes where you grill the meat before chopping it, or smoked meat instead, whatever...I have no fantastic recipe, but I have a thought that Chili if made right should over power any flavor you would get by smoking the meat. In other words that seems like a lot of work for not much gain if any.

Fire Me Boy!
08-20-2005, 03:54 AM
I have no fantastic recipe, but I have a thought that Chili if made right should over power any flavor you would get by smoking the meat. In other words that seems like a lot of work for not much gain if any.
Naw, it's all about layering the flavors.

mcan
08-20-2005, 06:35 AM
Grab a bunch of stuff. Put it into a pot.

Cook all day on low heat...

Remember: steak is better than hamburger.

There you go. The best chili recipie ever!

Braincase
08-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Grab a bunch of stuff. Put it into a pot.

Cook all day on low heat...

Remember: steak is better than hamburger.

There you go. The best chili recipie ever!

SOme of the best chili I've ever had was made with pork and green chili's. Just an idea.

mcan
08-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Here are all the world champion winning chili recipies for most of the winning chili pots since 1969!

I'm sure that if you want to put in some time and effort into (not just a good) but FANTASTIC bowl of chili, then you'll find it here.

GREAT CHILI RECIPIES (http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=1%20%20&StatusID=4)

BigOlChiefsfan
08-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Mean chili recipe? If this was Sin City Machaca would be Marv. It'd take your coat, shoot you in the groin and call you a nancyboy.

Actually, it's just good stuff.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/jan2002beefmachaca.htm

Archie F. Swin
08-20-2005, 08:53 AM
mean chili recipe?

Mine includes broken glass. Do you have an aversion?

Kerberos
08-20-2005, 09:08 AM
If you got a source for some venison, Deer meat makes some of the BEST chili I have ever cooked and eaten.

Good chili ingredients will take the wild taste out of the meat and it gives your chili an EXCELLENT different taste that you want in something just a bit different.

If you don't know anyone that has some deer burger in thier freezer I can sell you a .270 Remington real cheap! :)

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 09:45 AM
If you got a source for some venison, Deer meat makes some of the BEST chili I have ever cooked and eaten.

Good chili ingredients will take the wild taste out of the meat and it gives your chili an EXCELLENT different taste that you want in something just a bit different.

If you don't know anyone that has some deer burger in thier freezer I can sell you a .270 Remington real cheap! :)

I was going to post the same thing. Venison, if you can get it. I've never made it myself, but I tasted the results....good stuff.

Phobia
08-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I have no fantastic recipe, but I have a thought that Chili if made right should over power any flavor you would get by smoking the meat. In other words that seems like a lot of work for not much gain if any.

You've never had my chili. I'll have to bring some to a tailgate sometime. Venison, beef, pork, chicken - it's a bit of a garbage pail chili but it's damn good.

mlyonsd
08-20-2005, 09:56 AM
You've never had my chili. I'll have to bring some to a tailgate sometime. Venison, beef, pork, chicken - it's a bit of a garbage pail chili but it's damn good.

Hmm, never done the venison but mine has the beef, pork, and chicken.

Chunk or ground venison?

Phobia
08-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Hmm, never done the venison but mine has the beef, pork, and chicken.

Chunk or ground venison?

I like mostly chunk, but it quite literally is garbage pail chili.

Nzoner
08-20-2005, 10:15 AM

I'm planning on making my great chili as well for the Sept 18th gameroom opening party,if you guys can make it maybe you can bring some of yours as well.

Phobia
08-20-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm planning on making my great chili as well for the Sept 18th gameroom opening party,if you guys can make it maybe you can bring some of yours as well.

I think the wife will be out of town so if I can find a date, I might do that. ;)

neckdemon
08-20-2005, 11:39 AM
i'm not gonna write out a chili precipe cause every time imake chili i usually try new stuff and i never write it down, but if you like your chili hot then i will tell you one thig to do to give it a very nice flavor that is also very hot. habanero chili peppers. you don't need that many and they have a very unique taste. imo, its the best flavor you can add to a pot of chili. try it out, you only need 3 of them. i use more, but i like my chili very hot.

FRCDFED
08-20-2005, 11:47 AM
I like meaty/chunky chili that has great flavor that is not overpowered by the spice. Here is my recipe for what I call good "eating" chili:]

1 lb venison or burger (I use venison)
2 cans diced tomatos (make sure you drain them or it will be runny)
1 1/2 packages chili seasoning (your choice of how hot, I use mild)
2 cans kidney beans
4 cans of tomato sauce (thick)

1. brown the meat in a large pot
drain meat (venison is so lean it is not necessary)

2. Add sauce, diced tomatos, and beans (also onions if you wish but I don't).

3. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for about 45 min - 1 hr to ensure the diced tomatos are cooked in well.

Enjoy!!

Phobia
08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Beans?

You're making stew, not chili.

PHOG
08-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Didn't Texas Chainsaw Massacre have a decent chili recipe?

:Lin:

FRCDFED
08-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Beans?

You're making stew, not chili.What's chili w/o beans? :p

Phobia
08-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I used to think chili meant beans and tomato sauce, too.

That was until I learned differently from my FIL.

Nzoner
08-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Beans?

You're making stew, not chili.

One of the great things about chili,so many varieties.

Yes,I use beans as well,in fact three different kinds,and it's chili not stew.

Ninjaman
08-20-2005, 01:38 PM
I love recipe thread !