PDA

View Full Version : Urban wildlife

Rain Man
08-20-2005, 11:14 AM
My wife and I walked down to the mall last night, which is about a mile and a half from our house. To get there, we go through a very ritzy neighborhood. It's one of those neighborhoods that is so ritzy, they don't have street lights, so you're kind of wandering around in the dark and all of the houses have really big yards with lots of trees and stuff.

So anyway, we're walking down when it's still relatively light, and we see a notice attached to a tree. We're always on the lookout for missing pets, so we check it out. I kid you not, somebody had a flyer up that their python is missing. Definitely something to keep an eye out for, even of they said that it was only 3.5 feet long. (How does a python go missing, anyway?)

Then on the way back, it was pitch dark, other than yard lights and porch lights and stuff, and my wife saw a fox cross the road in front of us. Pretty cool. We've seen foxes before, so we knew they were around.

We go around the corner from where the fox was, and it was like we were in Africa or something. There's half a dozen animals that are about the size of a beagle crossing the road, and it's dark enough that we can only see their shadows and shapes. I'm pretty sure they were raccoons, though they might have been opossums or something. Several of them stopped in our path and we had a standoff, and one of them was standing on its back legs just looking at us, with the others all hanging out near it. They were about 75 feet away.

We decided that they held the right of way, so we backtracked and went another direction. It was odd, though. So my questions to the group are,

1. Do raccoons travel in packs? There were at least half a dozen, and they were all about the same size. This wasn't a mother with cubs or raccoonlets or whatever they're called, unless they were slacker adult raccoonlets that had moved back home.

2. Would a pack of raccoons attack a person? They definitely weren't backing down to us, and we decided not to challenge them by trying to walk by them.

3. Could a 3.5 foot python eat a raccoon?

MOhillbilly
08-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Coons are the #1 carrier of rabies. Fox will eat your chickens and opposoms are just nasty bastards.

:harumph:

Yes coons in urban ares travel in packs,yes they will bite you,if provoked or cornered or your between them and food.
No a 3.5 foot snake wouldnt take one down.

they are tough and mean,when they bite they do so to the gums.

ive had coons that 2 dogs couldnt kill.

if you HAVE TO SCREW WITH ONE ie it has your dog cat ect. wear gloves and DO NOT GET BLOOD OR SALIVA ON YOU.

they are best left alone and let the animal people take care of them.

id call and complain now,whats cool today. Is a extreme pest tommorow.

JMO

Rain Man
08-20-2005, 11:21 AM
What's your position on pythons?

Phobia
08-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Coons aren't normally a pack animal unless they're youngsters. That's not to say a dozen coons can't co-habitate an old barn or similar structure, but they aren't gonna follow one another around at night.

Coons are very mean and can get nasty if they feel threatened. I wouldn't confront one unless I had a weapon of some sorts. In all likelihood, these varmits would have run from you before a confrontation.

While my python isn't quite that large, he's more fond of beaver.

Rain Man
08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
That's what I was thinking. It was bizarre to see a pack of them, and I have to think that they were raccoons. The only other theory was that they were opossums, but I don't think opossums stand up on their hind legs like that.

MOhillbilly
08-20-2005, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=Phobia]Coons aren't normally a pack animal unless they're youngsters. That's not to say a dozen coons can't co-habitate an old barn or similar structure, but they aren't gonna follow one another around at night.

QUOTE]

They will pack in urban areas where food is abundant.

Phobia
08-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Really. I've not known them to do that but I'm certain to be ignorant on some topics.

MOhillbilly
08-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Really. I've not known them to do that but I'm certain to be ignorant on some topics.

Lots of solitary animals will pack up where food is readly available.
coon are no exception.

Rain Man
08-20-2005, 11:36 AM
What do raccoons eat, anyway? I'm not sure what's around for them in these neighborhoods, although there is lots of greenery.

I guess another possibility is that they can traverse the storm sewers and get over to the Country Club that's next door to this neighborhood. There's a creek and golf course over there, so I bet it would be raccoon heaven.

MOhillbilly
08-20-2005, 11:39 AM
trash,petfood,pets,mice,frogs,pretty much everything.

Phobia
08-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Coons will eat anything.

Rain Man
08-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Hmm, the people who live in this neighborhood have everything.

trndobrd
08-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Why on earth were you out walking at night with all the bears wandering around?