PDA

View Full Version : American individual debt........................

Boyceofsummer
08-20-2005, 11:32 AM
http://money.cnn.com/ontv/inthemoney/

A very sobering look into the psyche of Americans and they’re growing debt. I have nothing compared to the national average. But, I still feel guilty as hell if I amass more debt. This program helped me to make a few decisions for next Monday.

Andoverer
08-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Ahh let me introduce you to the man of the year at our household.....
http://www.daveramsey.com/

Bootlegged
08-20-2005, 12:32 PM
So, where is the story?

Boyceofsummer
08-20-2005, 12:39 PM
So, where is the story?

When the transcipt becomes available I'll post it. I thought those were links. My bad.

whoman69
08-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Is this really a surprise? Most Americans have very little available income after paying bills and the return on savings is almost nothing. The price of oil and other economic events have made the stock market risky at best, not that most have anything to invest anyway.

TheNextStep
08-20-2005, 02:52 PM
This one is the one I'm most interested about hearing about:

Why are credit card companies now looking for customers who CAN'T pay them back?

The reason it interests me is because while the government has just changed bankruptcy laws so that your debt will continue to follow you (beginning in October), every time a company gets in trouble and files BK, our tax dollars bails their asses out.

Look, I'm all for personal accountability... but I have a hard time feeling bad for a credit card company or retailer that offers a 25% interest card to some schmuck making 25K a year. Of course they're not going to be able to pay it back... and the company KNOWS it. It would be one thing if the schmuck was seeking out the card... but more often than not, the company solicits his business, not the other way around.

It just annoys me.

KC Jones
08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
As a whole, we're living off the seed corn.

DTLB58
08-20-2005, 03:05 PM

I wasn't gonna go there but, since you brought it up.......Nah, if I start singing the praises of Dave Ramsey and my own personal financial success soley because of him and his plan the planet will literally IMPLODE again! ROFL

DTLB58
08-20-2005, 03:07 PM

Andoverer, Since you are a Dave Fan here's my story, oh yea and all the crap I took from everyone here. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118501&highlight=Dave+Ramsey

DTLB58
08-20-2005, 03:30 PM
This one is the one I'm most interested about hearing about:

The reason it interests me is because while the government has just changed bankruptcy laws so that your debt will continue to follow you (beginning in October), every time a company gets in trouble and files BK, our tax dollars bails their asses out.

Look, I'm all for personal accountability... but I have a hard time feeling bad for a credit card company or retailer that offers a 25% interest card to some schmuck making 25K a year. Of course they're not going to be able to pay it back... and the company KNOWS it. It would be one thing if the schmuck was seeking out the card... but more often than not, the company solicits his business, not the other way around.

It just annoys me.

That and CC companies send CC apps to dogs and dead people everyday. Oh yea and to little old ladies with their only income being Social security. I have NO sympathy for CC's at all. They make their own bed on purpose everyday.

Dave Lane
08-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I wasn't gonna go there but, since you brought it up.......Nah, if I start singing the praises of Dave Ramsey and my own personal financial success soley because of him and his plan the planet will literally IMPLODE again! ROFL

His stuff is just common sense, anyone with a modicum of sense does this anyway.

Not completely sure how the Dave Ramsey plan works but the Dave Lane plan works well.

Dave

Rain Man
08-20-2005, 03:40 PM
His stuff is just common sense, anyone with a modicum of sense does this anyway.

Not completely sure how the Dave Ramsey plan works but the Dave Lane plan works well.

Dave

I'm also a big believer in the Dave Lane plan. I've worked my way up to Chapter Six now, "Get the elderly widow to give you Power of Attorney."

Dave Lane
08-20-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm also a big believer in the Dave Lane plan. I've worked my way up to Chapter Six now, "Get the elderly widow to give you Power of Attorney."

And get it notarized quick!

Dave

Skip Towne
08-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Especially if she has an enlarged heart.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2005, 05:15 PM
I have zero active credit cards. I had 2 in my early 20's. Ruined my credit something awful. The only debt I have is repaying old debts. I'll be 35 in Oct., I'd like to buy a house before I'm 40...