PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Gates Suspended

HolmeZz
08-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere...

-------------------------

Statement from the San Diego Chargers

Tight end Antonio Gates did not report and sign a contract by 12:30 pm today. The Chargers and Gatesí agent Andre Colona negotiated throughout the morning but could not reach an agreement on years or compensation. At this point, Gates does not feel comfortable in signing the teamís tender offer and going back to work.

As a result, Gates will be placed on a Roster Exempt list and will not play in the first three games following the date he signs with the team. Currently he will miss the games versus Minnesota (Aug. 26), San Francisco (Sept. 1) and the season opener versus Dallas (Sept. 11).

The Chargers are disappointed Gates will miss the season opener versus Dallas, but remain hopeful of reaching an agreement soon.

---------------------------

http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2252

SNR
08-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm really beginning to hate this dipshit

tk13
08-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Carl thinks he's a tough SOB, he's got nothing on these guys....

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
damn....keep holding out brother, Chiefs fans are behind you all the way!

Mr. Laz
08-20-2005, 05:07 PM
FFL players scrambling as we speak

Mr. Kotter
08-20-2005, 05:07 PM
damn....keep holding out brother, Chiefs fans are behind you all the way!

Yeah, the principaled thing to do would be for him to hold out the entire season.... :)

Skip Towne
08-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Hold out for what you believe in brother. Don't let Marty push you around.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Regular Season
Date Time Opponent TV/Score
Sunday, 9/11 1:15 PM Dallas Cowboys FOX
Sunday, 9/18 1:15 PM @ Denver Broncos CBS
Sunday, 9/25 5:30 PM New York Giants ESPN

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah, the principaled thing to do would be for him to hold out the entire season.... :)

yes, or until week 7...which ever comes first

whoman69
08-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Chargers jump over cliff.

Rausch
08-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I have to side with Gates and not just because I'm a Chiefs fan.

The guy is amazing. A top 5 TE, EASY.

I'd show him the money before frah-Brees...

Mojo Rising
08-20-2005, 06:16 PM
This is a quote from their GM.

"We're the football team," Smith said. "We decide who gets a contract, how much they get, and for how long."

Doesn't sound like the type of comment that is going to help get a contract done.

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I usually hate when players hold out, but this guy is worth WAY more than they are willing to pay...

Coach
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I have to side with Gates and not just because I'm a Chiefs fan.

The guy is amazing. A top 5 TE, EASY.

I'd show him the money before frah-Brees...

Top 5? I might believe that, but the problem is he only had one nice season. I would like to see at least back-to-back nice season before he can get the money.

IIRC, the Chargers GM said that he will NOT give Gates Tony Gonzo. money, because Gonzo have been in the league longer, and that he feels Gonzo is THE best TE in the NFL right now, because Gonzo have been putting up big numbers ever since he came into the NFL.

DTLB58
08-20-2005, 06:40 PM
ESPN NEWS is reporting he will report to camp on Sunday now..... :rolleyes: Why he couldn't have just reported today before the deadline???

Myself, I was hoping he would hold out all year. ROFL

Halfcan
08-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Chargers have half their cap tied up in the QB position. I don't see them caving, and paying a one year wonder.

cool_brees
08-20-2005, 10:34 PM
I usually hate when players hold out, but this guy is worth WAY more than they are willing to pay...
The Chargers are offering him a contract that averages out to around 4 million a year. Is he worth more than that? Should he be paid as much (or more) than Tony Gonzalez? I love Gates and I sure as hell respect Tony G. even though he plays for a division rival. But at this point in time Gates does not deserve to be paid like Tony G... yet.

The main dispute in negotiations is not necessarily money but the length of the contract. Initially, Gates and his agent were asking for Tony G. money but they have dropped their numbers a bit. Initially, the Chargers were asking for a 6 year contract but now they've dropped that to a 5 year contract. They just can't agree to the length. A.J. Smith has also stated that they're willing to throw in more money for the length of the contract that they desire.

Anyway, now that Gates will report tomorrow, what was the whole point of missing this deadline? Did they think A.J. Smith wouldn't have the coconuts to actually suspend him? Surely, they haven't been watching A.J. for the past year and a half.

From what I understand the 'suspension' is now in the hands of the NFL. And supposedly, the Chargers could request that the suspension be dropped to something smaller (2 games?) so we'll see what happens.