PDA

View Full Version : my 2 cents on the first half...yours?

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 09:20 PM
i posted this in the game thread...feel free to add your thoughts...I don't want to make more of it than it was, but it felt good to watch:

mostly good news

the only glaring badness was McCleon...but the D as a whole looked much more in synch and agressive

Wilkerson played well and may take Allen's job
Sims played well and had some great "hustle" plays that showed, imho, an improved attitude and commitment
Surtain is $$$$
DJ blew up a FB in route to hitting Warner...a freakishly awesome play
Mitchell looked good
Knight blitzed repeatedly and looked good
Kris Griffin is fast and may force them to cut Fujita
Sapp made some nice plays and tackles well

Sammie Parker was great...he caught a TD pass on a sweet slant route in the endzone, and he got 3 PI calls on Macklin who was trying to cover him...He ran good routes and showed a lot of enthusiasm

Green was sharpe
LJ ran like a man possessed. Killed people

Negatives:

OL didn't run block very well (but we were missing Shields, Dunn, Sampson, and Gonzo)
Kris Wilson was invisible
Tynes missed a FG
Dante may have pulled a hammy
McCleon is terrible

all in all we looked much more organized and eager...lots of individual performances to be happy about...I doubt I'll watch much of the 2nd half

plbrdude
08-20-2005, 09:23 PM
defense actually looked like a team that has played together

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 09:24 PM
defense actually looked like a team that has played together

yeah....now imagine Bell killing people....I hope it happens

plbrdude
08-20-2005, 09:31 PM

I've been tryin to imagine a defense that could instill a sense of fear in someone other than our offense for a few years now.This could be the year. :drool:

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Here's my quick notes from the 1st half...

-----------------------------------------------

Derrick Johnson missed tackles early, also got fooled on misdirection, then made up for it bigtime with the big hit later

Ronnie Cruz may make team because of special teams

Benny Sapp good in run support

Sims missed a tackle and then the penalty, but he had great penetration on the fumble play. The DT's had great penetration, they just need to actually TACKLE

Excellent play deep by Surtain and Knight and then both of them are in on the fumble that Knight recovered, Knight is a playmaker

Like what I saw from Griffin

Wilkerson looked good

Mitchell once again looked good against the run.

Fujita looked really good.

McCleon continues to be a BIG problem...

Scanlon didn't look too bad in the 2nd half.

--------------------------

Thought Sammie Parker looked great, Macklin just couldn't cover him, drawing PI penalties is just as good as a completion

Welbourn played very well at RG, but the line as a whole wasn't as good in the running game

Larry Johnson once again impressed

Brett Williams is horrible

KCJake
08-20-2005, 09:37 PM
It will ;)

Saul Good
08-20-2005, 09:40 PM
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

DJ blew up a FB in route to hitting Warner...a freakishly awesome play

Don't you know that Derrick Johnson can't take on blockers? The fullback clearly kicked his ass on that play. Johnson tried to run around the block. That might have worked in college, but Johnson's game will never work in the pros.

Kris Griffin is fast and may force them to cut Fujita

Griffin was awesome tonight.

I predict that the Chiefs will lead the NFL in players named Kris.

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Welbourn played very well at RG, but the line as a whole wasn't as good in the running game

Larry Johnson once again impressed

Brett Williams is horrible

Welbourn wasn't so good pulling, but straight ahead, when LJ was in, he was much better....

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 09:42 PM
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Don't you know that Derrick Johnson can't take on blockers? The fullback clearly kicked his ass on that play. Johnson tried to run around the block. That might have worked in college, but Johnson's game will never work in the pros.

yes, what was I thinking.... ROFL

DJ makes rookie mistakes...but he also makes great plays, and he is faster than hell...he'll be fun to watch

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 09:45 PM
yes, what was I thinking.... ROFL

DJ makes rookie mistakes...but he also makes great plays, and he is faster than hell...he'll be fun to watch

DJ started this game EXACTLY like he did the Vikes game -- tentative, hesitant, and out-of-position.

And once again, after a couple of plays he calmed down and got into a groove.

mightyphoenix1
08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Kris Wilson was invisible

Not only was he non factor in the passing game but his run blocking was just pure crap.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Not only was he non factor in the passing game but his run blocking was just pure crap.

If both Wilson and Siavii turn out to be classic Carl busts, there is going to be "Hell to pay" on this board!!!

LiL stumppy
08-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Wilkerson will not start of Allen,and Fujita wont be cut.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Wilkerson will not start of Allen,and Fujita wont be cut.

Wilkerson > Allen in both the run game and rushing the passer. Fujita has a HUGE uphill battle.

CoMoChief
08-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Fujita will NOT get cut. He gives us good depth and will make a ST spot.

LiL stumppy
08-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Wilkerson > Allen in both the run game and rushing the passer. Fujita has a HUGE uphill battle.

If this is so,how come Wilkerson wasn't starting last year? Fujita may have a tough battle,but he does know the system and is one of the fastest LB's we have.

mlyonsd
08-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Fujita will NOT get cut. He gives us good depth and will make a ST spot.

Ditto. I have a bridge for sell to anyone that thinks Fujita will get cut.

the Talking Can
08-20-2005, 10:28 PM
If this is so,how come Wilkerson wasn't starting last year?

because he wasn't good enough then?

i don't know if he'll start, but he's played better than Allen in both games...and he is much better against the run than Allen...

petegz28
08-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Mitchell....Good night
DJ....Good night
Surtain....I think has been thrown at twice in 2 games
Mcleon....bad night
Tynes....stick to boxing

milkman
08-20-2005, 10:30 PM
because he wasn't good enough then?

To expand on that, Wilkerson was drafted as a project after leaving school early.

That project may now be ready, whereas he wasn't before.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 10:33 PM
If this is so,how come Wilkerson wasn't starting last year? Fujita may have a tough battle,but he does know the system and is one of the fastest LB's we have.

Yeah, I can't answer that question. I mean, it's impossible for guys to improve over the course of one offseason.

I think SideWinder summed it up well -- Wilkerson was said to have 1st-round potential but came out a year too early.

TRing
08-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Fujita won't be cut. Actually I believe that he will have substantial playing time during the season.

Kris Griffin looked good. Got him mixed up with DJ a couple times (but I was drinking)

Tynes..... Come on now, I tried to tell yuh.

Mitchell looked good, like what I saw.

McCleon.... Same ol' same ol'

Surtain and Knight will definitely make an impact.

Offense in general looked good, especially Parker.

LiL stumppy
08-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Allen also had 9 sacks last year.I find it funny as how everyone loves Allen,and then Wilkerson has a "solid" game and now hes the shit.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Allen also had 9 sacks last year.I find it funny as how everyone loves Allen,and then Wilkerson has a "solid" game and now hes the shit.

Sorry, but I've never "loved" Allen. 9 sacks doesn't mean jack shit when you're giving up over 5 yards per carry on the ground...

BowerR64
08-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Dont you think its weird that when Carl Peterson comes to the booth to talk on air we lose? Almost like we throw the game for money.

I think Carl Peterson needs to go. This guy has only one thing on his mind and that money. We have been selling that stadium out for the past 10 years or more and we cant afford top players? what gives?

Why cant we afford players like the old dallas? i mean does kansas city not support this team? What more support do then want?

This is a one sport city and it seems the only sport we like is football. They have tried over and over and over to get us involved in other sports besides football and we sell tht stadium out season after seson with nothing in return. We pull in all these rookies and no name players and as soon as they get a good name we sell em. why? dont we care about the end result? The fans do. The front office dont.

I remember seing an interview with Lamar hunt and he said "unless we cant get suome support on the stadium renovation we may have to move the chiefs to a new city" what! what is he talking about? im sure no one else remembers this but me but i couldnt understand his plea. I wanted to kick him and ask him where all the money was going when we sell that stadium out game after game? I wouldnt be so upset if the stadium was only half full game after game but its not. Its freakin FULL! we support this team and we get crap in return.

Im sick of it! this hole city should be too.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Dont you think its weird that when Carl Peterson comes to the booth to talk on air we lose? Almost like we throw the game for money.

I think Carl Peterson needs to go. This guy has only one thing on his mind and that money. We have been selling that stadium out for the past 10 years or more and we cant afford top players? what gives?

Why cant we afford players like the old dallas? i mean does kansas city not support this team? What more support do then want?

This is a one sport city and it seems the only sport we like is football. They have tried over and over and over to get us involved in other sports besides football and we sell tht stadium out season after seson with nothing in return. We pull in all these rookies and no name players and as soon as they get a good name we sell em. why? dont we care about the end result? The fans do. The front office dont.

I remember seing an interview with Lamar hunt and he said "unless we cant get suome support on the stadium renovation we may have to move the chiefs to a new city" what! what is he talking about? im sure no one else remembers this but me but i couldnt understand his plea. I wanted to kick him and ask him where all the money was going when we sell that stadium out game after game? I wouldnt be so upset if the stadium was only half full game after game but its not. Its freakin FULL! we support this team and we get crap in return.

Congratulations. You're very first post on the board and it's already getting votes for "Dumbest Post Ever".

irishjayhawk
08-20-2005, 11:14 PM

this hole post is funny

Deberg_1990
08-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Sorry, but I've never "loved" Allen. 9 sacks doesn't mean jack shit when you're giving up over 5 yards per carry on the ground...

Hes decent...I like his motor, it never stops...but he may turn out to be more of a situational pass rusher.

Logical
08-20-2005, 11:19 PM
I predict that the Chiefs will lead the NFL in players named Kris.OK you are almost never funny so I thought I better acknowledge it when you are. I chuckled.

wasi
08-20-2005, 11:19 PM

I don't live in KC, so I can't say I understand the hate on everyone has for King Carl. The passion for the Chiefs is evident here and thats why I come here. Therefore I respect the opinion of people about the decisions the team makes, you guys/gals live there and are closer to it all. But this post is bullshit... the Chiefs have spent a lot of money this offseason to improve. The lose is only in preseason, it means nothing. The team shouldn't care about the product at this point, only to not have injuries and get some 'live' reps. Save it for after Sept 11 if your still not happy.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Hes decent...I like his motor, it never stops...but he may turn out to be more of a situational pass rusher.

And there's really not anything wrong with that. Lot's of teams use guys that do nothing but rush the passer...hell, that's what WE did with Derrick Thomas.

The problem is that the KEY to a stout defense is stopping the run and Allen just doesn't get it done.

TEX
08-20-2005, 11:24 PM
One thing that caught my eye was how in sync Surtain and Knight are. (Yes I know they played together in Miami) On that deep pass that Warner threw in the first quarter, Surtain had his man covered and just as the ball got there, he got help over the top from Knight. It was exactly how that play was supposed to be defended and it was a sight rarely seen in KC's Secondary for the past few years. It doesn't get any better than that! :clap:

Now, let's NOT talk about the other side of the field... :hmmm:
And let's especially NOT talk about Tynes and Huard... :banghead:

Logical
08-20-2005, 11:27 PM
...I wanted to kick him and ask him where all the money was going when we sell that stadium out game after game? ....I laughed big time at this line, so I gave you rep.

booger
08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Can't add to much about the 1st half. Obviously the defense looked good and it was great to see the agressiveness we've been lacking.

One big time concern I have is backup MLB. Scanlon started of by puking on himself on punt coverage, blowing an assignment on a early 3rd qtr run after fujita missed the tackled, but finished up very well after a blitz where he got close to the qb and knocked down a pass. After that he seemed to "wake up". That's been my biggest problem with him.
He seemed to play more inspired after that and made a few plays.

Grigsby looks good when persueing plays to the outside or chasing. He gets lost or engulfed with runs up the middle and isn't too impressive on passing situations. I could almost see him as more of a OLB at this point but that's not where we need help.

Neither of the two has done much too impress on special teams. Hopefully Mitchell stays healthy (knock on wood) because even with better play from RS in the 2nd half, neither of these guys makes me feel compfortable playing LB in case of injury in the near future.

Bell could move back inside if needed but i think we need a better plan. With how well Griffin looks I would really like to see Fujita in the mix at backup MLB. Fox could get a shot too but he is probably too small.

Definatly something to keep an eye on IMO.

Saul Good
08-20-2005, 11:38 PM
this hole post is funny

He's an ass whole.

Logical
08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Dont ....1 post and 4 green rep boxes, Carl must still not be very popular. Or everyone has as warped a sense of humor as I do.

TEX
08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Can't add to much about the 1st half. Obviously the defense looked good and it was great to see the agressiveness we've been lacking.

One big time concern I have is backup MLB. Scanlon started of by puking on himself on punt coverage, blowing an assignment on a early 3rd qtr run after fujita missed the tackled, but finished up very well after a blitz where he got close to the qb and knocked down a pass. After that he seemed to "wake up". That's been my biggest problem with him.
He seemed to play more inspired after that and made a few plays.

Grigsby looks good when persueing plays to the outside or chasing. He gets lost or engulfed with runs up the middle and isn't too impressive on passing situations. I could almost see him as more of a OLB at this point but that's not where we need help.

Neither of the two has done much too impress on special teams. Hopefully Mitchell stays healthy (knock on wood) because even with better play from RS in the 2nd half, neither of these guys makes me feel compfortable playing LB in case of injury in the near future.

Bell could move back inside if needed but i think we need a better plan. With how well Griffin looks I would really like to see Fujita in the mix at backup MLB. Fox could get a shot too but he is probably too small.

Definatly something to keep an eye on IMO.

Shoot, I'm NOT even comfortable with Mitchell as the starter at MLB, but he no doubt is the "best" we have at the moment.

booger
08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
CB is another rough spot. McCleon looks decent then gives up the huge play like last year. Sapp has really impressed me as the nickel and I hope he keeps it when EW comes back after suspension.

Hodge isn't great but is definatly next in line at the #4 spot. Ambrose and washington completly suck arse against the seconds and thirds.

I'd like to see more of Justin Perkins. That would be a lot of youth with Sapp, Hodge and Perkins but they seem to be the best we have. Another spot to keep an eye on the cuts and waiver wire.

booger
08-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Shoot, I'm NOT even comfortable with Mitchell as the starter at MLB, but he no doubt is the "best" we have at the moment.
What a difference a year makes.

I feel alot better after tonight. Hopefully he stays consistant. I have no problem with him in the run game. Hopefully him staying in on third down changes once the regular season starts. Bring in Fox or Griffin for the nickel LB spot with Johnson and probably Bell.

tk13
08-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm dreading the Porter vs. McCleon matchup in week 2.

MGRS13
08-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Hate to do it but I agree. Wilkerson was great tonight. Him, D.J. and Surtain are, right now, the best part of the defense. McCleon still scares the hell out of me though.

htismaqe
08-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Hate to do it but I agree. Wilkerson was great tonight. Him, D.J. and Surtain are, right now, the best part of the defense. McCleon still scares the hell out of me though.

McCleon is the obvious weak link right now.

The tackles look pretty good. The ends looked much better last night.

The LB's all around don't look too bad.

Surtain and Knight look superb.

tiptap
08-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Offense:

As noted earlier, the Chiefs had trouble running outside stretch plays, to the right. This has been the big running attack for the Chiefs over the last 4 years. But last year we ran twice as much to the left as to the right unlike earlier years when it was evenly split. And we still see success running to the left behind Roaf and Waters but if we don't find SOME success running to the right then teams, especially good defenses, will scheme for our tendency to run to the left on those stetch plays. And when we did run to the right but inside tackles we did see some success with LJ running. The problem is that defenses will look for only inside runs when LJ is in and runs to the left outside for Priest. I am reserving judgement for when Shields gets back to playing and Sampson is back in the lineup.
Parker's performance last night was so-so. He didn't make the great catch. Yes his TD catch was a good double break move but it wasn't a clutch catch. He needed the repetitions in a game setting and maybe it will carry over to improve performance but I am going to hope that Thorpe or Mitchell can show something because it is a concern. Mind you, I realize that TG wasn't in the game and that makes it easier on the WR but still I didn't see the play I want from the WR position.

Defense:

Tackles were active, just wish there were more bodies to play. Sims and Dalton are going to be tired puppies at the end of games when we are going to need stops. For all of you who think Hicks needs replacing because he doesn't have 14 sacks, note that he never had that explosiveness after his operation but that in the run game he impacts the plays unlike Jarod. Wilkerson played well enough and since he hasn't practiced at RE as much he would seem to have more up side. I'd reserve Jarod for obvious passing downs. And Carlos Hall may not be there until much later in the season. He may be the real medical bust signing. I am more hopeful about Bell's situation but do need to see him on th field. The rest of the LB situation is so hard to sort. DJ shows his athelticism but it is going to take weeks before he shows the knowledge to put that to good use. Kawika his hitting harder when there is a lane to the play. But I was most impressed by Kris Griffon. He was around the ball. He hit hard. I am flustered in trying to guage who will be our LBs. If we didn't have a "win this year" necessity we would go with the new. But Fajita and Scanlons experience puts them in there for this years push. CB's have McCleon as the weak link and what is needed is the kind of communication Knight and Surtain have on McCleon's side of the field. It is the free safety's job to help out here.

ST:

Field goal kicking, I was a Tynes supporter. But we need him in these first 4 games. Not after half the season is over. I don't see anyone else out there that is showing that much. We have the example of Keadings and others also having troubles. Too bad the troubles don't extend to Denver and Oakland.

Saul Good
08-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Offense:

As noted earlier, the Chiefs had trouble running outside stretch plays, to the right. This has been the big running attack for the Chiefs over the last 4 years. But last year we ran twice as much to the left as to the right unlike earlier years when it was evenly split. And we still see success running to the left behind Roaf and Waters but if we don't find SOME success running to the right then teams, especially good defenses, will scheme for our tendency to run to the left on those stetch plays. And when we did run to the right but inside tackles we did see some success with LJ running. The problem is that defenses will look for only inside runs when LJ is in and runs to the left outside for Priest. I am reserving judgement for when Shields gets back to playing and Sampson is back in the lineup.
Parker's performance last night was so-so. He didn't make the great catch. Yes his TD catch was a good double break move but it wasn't a clutch catch. He needed the repetitions in a game setting and maybe it will carry over to improve performance but I am going to hope that Thorpe or Mitchell can show something because it is a concern. Mind you, I realize that TG wasn't in the game and that makes it easier on the WR but still I didn't see the play I want from the WR position.

Defense:

Tackles were active, just wish there were more bodies to play. Sims and Dalton are going to be tired puppies at the end of games when we are going to need stops. For all of you who think Hicks needs replacing because he doesn't have 14 sacks, note that he never had that explosiveness after his operation but that in the run game he impacts the plays unlike Jarod. Wilkerson played well enough and since he hasn't practiced at RE as much he would seem to have more up side. I'd reserve Jarod for obvious passing downs. And Carlos Hall may not be there until much later in the season. He may be the real medical bust signing. I am more hopeful about Bell's situation but do need to see him on th field. The rest of the LB situation is so hard to sort. DJ shows his athelticism but it is going to take weeks before he shows the knowledge to put that to good use. Kawika his hitting harder when there is a lane to the play. But I was most impressed by Kris Griffon. He was around the ball. He hit hard. I am flustered in trying to guage who will be our LBs. If we didn't have a "win this year" necessity we would go with the new. But Fajita and Scanlons experience puts them in there for this years push. CB's have McCleon as the weak link and what is needed is the kind of communication Knight and Surtain have on McCleon's side of the field. It is the free safety's job to help out here.

ST:

Field goal kicking, I was a Tynes supporter. But we need him in these first 4 games. Not after half the season is over. I don't see anyone else out there that is showing that much. We have the example of Keadings and others also having troubles. Too bad the troubles don't extend to Denver and Oakland.

Our offense is so vanilla right now it's hard to really evaluate. I don't remember ever scoring many points in the preseason under Vermeil and Saunders, but we wind up great in the regular season. Notice that we didn't run formation shifts at all. During the season, we shift at least once on pretty much every play, sometimes more than once. We also didn't have Shields or Tony. Those are 2 huge parts of our offense.

As far as Parker making clutch catches, it's pretty hard to do that during the first half of a preseason game. He was most of our offense when the first team was on the field.

Kris Griffin was great. He was in the right spot on every play. It was refreshing.

I've changed my mind on Tynes. He's a bum. Cut him. If we can't find someone better, go for it on 4th down. Go for 2 after TDs. (I'm only half joking.)

Count Alex's Wins
08-21-2005, 11:36 AM
What about replacing Hicks with Allen on third downs/passing situations?

beavis
08-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm dreading the Porter vs. McCleon matchup in week 2.
Gah, me too. I just pray Surtain stays healthy.

milkman
08-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Our offense is so vanilla right now it's hard to really evaluate. I don't remember ever scoring many points in the preseason under Vermeil and Saunders, but we wind up great in the regular season. Notice that we didn't run formation shifts at all. During the season, we shift at least once on pretty much every play, sometimes more than once. We also didn't have Shields or Tony. Those are 2 huge parts of our offense.

Exactly.
I also think the right side improves with as Sampson gains experience and gets comfortable.
Right now, or at least in the first preseason game, he looked like a mauler.

As far as Parker making clutch catches, it's pretty hard to do that during the first half of a preseason game. He was most of our offense when the first team was on the field.

He was apparently was doing something good, or right, 'cause with all those PI calls on Macklin, Samie can now call him 'his bitch'.

Kris Griffin was great. He was in the right spot on every play. It was refreshing.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game to see Griffen at work.

I've changed my mind on Tynes. He's a bum. Cut him. If we can't find someone better, go for it on 4th down. Go for 2 after TDs. (I'm only half joking.)

I think the "Cut Tynes Bandwagon" is the fastest growing bandwagon on the Planet.

BowerR64
08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
The chiefs are a joke thats all i can say. Till we get rid of Carl Peterson will this team get serious. Remember the big deal with John Tait and Carl Peterson? that is Carl Peterson in a nut shell. He will push you around as far as he can till you snap back.

ROYC75
08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
The chiefs are a joke thats all i can say. Till we get rid of Carl Peterson will this team get serious. Remember the big deal with John Tait and Carl Peterson? that is Carl Peterson in a nut shell. He will push you around as far as he can till you snap back.

Ok, you are getting better......... Keep up the good work .

milkman
08-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Let's see, after your first post a couple nights ago, this was the first response to that post:

Congratulations. You're very first post on the board and it's already getting votes for "Dumbest Post Ever".

Well now after your second post, this is the second response to that post:

Congratulations. Your second post on the board and it's already getting votes for "Dumbest Post Ever"

Dammit, Roy beat me! :cuss: