PDA

View Full Version : So after McCleon's perfomance tonight....

Deberg_1990
08-20-2005, 11:21 PM
I hate to say this, but should we have made a stronger push for Ty Law??

Scorp
08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Does a bear sh!t in the woods?

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Can Law even play? Having nobody is not better than having McCleon, even as bad as he is.

beer bacon
08-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Can Law even play? Having nobody is not better than having McCleon, even as bad as he is.

They said during the Jets game on Friday that he was supposed to play in their 3rd preseason game.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-20-2005, 11:25 PM
No

The Jets aren't certain when Law will be able to take the field. Hell, Warfield may be back before Law can play.

What would be the point?

tk13
08-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Kelly Herndon! :)

TEX
08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Once we signed Surtain, we had little chance at Law so I don't fault the CHIEFS there at all. However, I do feel that the mistake that we're still paying for is standing pat after the 0'3 season, when there were plenty of CB's available. Course had we done that, we might not have been able to sign Surtain this year so it's kind of a push. I do think that once Warfield gets back, we'll be much better and Im glad the Bye is so early this hear to help put with that issue. But those 1st 4 games are gonna be TOUGH and McCleon will get picked on as he did tonight. It could get UGLY fast. That's why I'd start to get Sapp some work with the first unit. Just my take...

ILChief
08-20-2005, 11:35 PM
I think we should start Sapp or sign Pete Hunter

B_Ambuehl
08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah he's got a big red bulls eye on his chest right now and I guarantee you the offensive coordinators of the first 4 teams we face will be licking their lips. Gun's gonna have to come up with some creative schemes to take some pressure off of him.

htismaqe
08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
They said during the Jets game on Friday that he was supposed to play in their 3rd preseason game.

So you think the Jets' word is good enough to bank the 1st four games of the season on?

Wallcrawler
08-20-2005, 11:42 PM
If youre not good enough to overcome one weak point on your team, then you dont deserve to win anything.

This offense should be more than capable of scoring enough points to make up for the absence of Eric Warfield, especially with the players that have been added.

The starting unit shut out the Arizona Cardinals, even without the presence of Eric Warfield, Kendrell Bell, and Carlos Hall. Three guys that are going to be looked upon to contribute significantly to the defense. 3 former first round wide receivers, a former NFL MVP QB, and a decent runningback in J.J. Arrington were held in check for the duration of the first half and we have yet to see the defense at full strength.

Lets not make this out to be something that it isnt. Not every scoring play that happened last year happened on Dexter McLeon.

The defense will have to give him some help from time to time, and yes, he is going to get burned. Even Surtain is going to get burned a few times before this season is over, so try not to blow this out of proportion and start waving the white flag just because Dexter got beat deep on a couple plays.

This Ty Law business needs to stop. Seriously now. Its over. Deal with it the best way that you can. Ty Law is not a Chief. Ty Law is not going to be a Chief. Ty Law has yet to display that he can even play in a game.

blsilks
08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
We can just have DJ take over that the CB spot. Hes fast enough right?

ZootedGranny
08-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I think we should start Sapp

Something I've been repeating since last year. I don't think Sapp would go out there and lock down the field, but he'd make some ****in plays on the ball at the very least.

beer bacon
08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
So you think the Jets' word is good enough to bank the 1st four games of the season on?

When I did even hint that I think that? Personally, I don't give a flying **** about Ty Law. I do think we should give Sapp a shot at the #2 job.

tk13
08-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Lets not make this out to be something that it isnt. Not every scoring play that happened last year happened on Dexter McLeon.

Sure seemed like it sometimes....

TRR
08-21-2005, 12:34 AM
One player does not a team make....

If KC can't overcome one player on a defense for 4 games, then they don't deserve to go to the playoffs, or anywhere for that matter.

Bottom line, McCleon is a decent enough CB to start for 4 games. He played well in the 2003 season, and he will not cost us a win or a loss while he's starting...This isn't wrestling.

Coach
08-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Bottom line, McCleon is a decent enough CB to start for 4 games. He played well in the 2003 season, and he will not cost us a win or a loss while he's starting...This isn't wrestling.

He might be decent.

However, there is 2 problems in this.

1. It's not 2003 anymore. It's 2005. He needs to play like he played in 2003.

2. His 2003 season benefitted from G-Robinson's read-n-react scheme. I don't think he is capable of playing Gunther's style.

TRR
08-21-2005, 12:41 AM
He might be decent.

However, there is 2 problems in this.

1. It's not 2003 anymore. It's 2005. He needs to play like he played in 2003.

2. His 2003 season benefitted from G-Robinson's read-n-react scheme. I don't think he is capable of playing Gunther's style.

Doesn't matter. He'll have to find a way. And if he can't, then 10 other players will have to step up and play better for Dexter McCleon. That is what Championship teams do.

tk13
08-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Well no one player is going to win or lose you a game... but you look at games like the Jags game last year where they went over his head over and over and over again for a TD, or the Tennessee game where Drew Bennett had about 800 yards in the first half, and it shows one weakness can cause some mighty big problems...

Wallcrawler
08-21-2005, 12:42 AM
One player does not a team make....

If KC can't overcome one player on a defense for 4 games, then they don't deserve to go to the playoffs, or anywhere for that matter.

Exactly.

TRR
08-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Well no one player is going to win or lose you a game... but you look at games like the Jags game last year where they went over his head over and over and over again for a TD, or the Tennessee game where Drew Bennett had about 800 yards in the first half, and it shows one weakness can cause some mighty big problems...

Jerome Woods was just as big of problem as McCleon was in those games. Woods consistently was out of position too often last season. The D Line also needed to step up and get to the QB. A lot of times last season, the opposing QB had all day to throw. Same goes for the LB's...When they were called on to blitz, they weren't getting there.

11 on 11.

tk13
08-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Jerome Woods was just as big of problem as McCleon was in those games. Woods consistently was out of position too often last season. The D Line also needed to step up and get to the QB. A lot of times last season, the opposing QB had all day to throw. Same goes for the LB's...When they were called on to blitz, they weren't getting there.

11 on 11.
Woods stunk, you'll get no argument from me. We were in the top 10 in the league in sacks. We weren't that horrible at getting to the QB. By no means were we perfect, but I think we were better at getting to the QB than defending a simple little fade pattern for a jumpball down the sideline... how many times did we get beat on a play like that last year? Just a quick fade or a jumpball play on the left side of the field. All the time... Madden kept saying during MNF how Belichick kept harping on it the week we played the Pats... just throw it up on the left side, they can't defend it.

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Whats the deal with Benny Sapp did he tank it tonight or? Why wouldn't there be more support for him to replace McCleon at starter?

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 01:28 AM
uh hello? Is there anybody out there?

Coach
08-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Whats the deal with Benny Sapp did he tank it tonight or? Why wouldn't there be more support for him to replace McCleon at starter?

I'm not sure why. I guess that Benny Sapp is smaller than McPasson? :shrug:

But I liked seeing Benny there in the nickleback. He could be a good one there.

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure why. I guess that Benny Sapp is smaller than McPasson? :shrug:

But I liked seeing Benny there in the nickleback. He could be a good one there.

I dunno if size really has much to do with it as long as he has speed and can jump for the ball :shrug: how did Ambrose and Washington look?

RedThat
08-21-2005, 01:56 AM
I dunno if size really has much to do with it as long as he has speed and can jump for the ball :shrug: how did Ambrose and Washington look?

Washington and Ambrose are terrible. Believe it or not, McCleon is better them. Ambrose and Washington should get cut. I wouldn't be surprised. Benny Sapp looked good. I would give him a shot at the #2 CB position.

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Washington and Ambrose are terrible. Believe it or not, McCleon is better them. Ambrose and Washington should get cut. I wouldn't be surprised. Benny Sapp looked good. I would give him a shot at the #2 CB position.

Did Hodge get to play? I would love to see Sapp step up and make Warfield look like a sissy :D

Logical
08-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Did Hodge get to play? I would love to see Sapp step up and make Warfield look like a sissy :DYes he played, nothing special or horrible from what I could tell on the radio. Maybe somebody who got to see the game can tell you more.

DenverChief
08-21-2005, 02:12 AM
Yes he played, nothing special or horrible from what I could tell on the radio. Maybe somebody who got to see the game can tell you more.

I tried to listen but inbetween fingerprintings, bookings and paperwork I didn't hear much....

htismaqe
08-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Hodge didn't really show anything.

Ambrose and Washington looked pretty bad against Zona's 3rd and 4th-stringers.

Benny Sapp might be the 2nd-best CB on this team.

Gaz
08-21-2005, 07:23 AM
...This Ty Law business needs to stop. Seriously now. Its over. Deal with it the best way that you can. Ty Law is not a Chief. Ty Law is not going to be a Chief. Ty Law has yet to display that he can even play in a game.

Amen.

xoxo~
Gaz
Knew the “we coulda signed Ty” crap was coming, but did not expect it quite so soon.

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 08:28 AM
denverchief,

hey, that video clip is great....well done

Sapp may, indeed, be the 2nd best CB until Warfield returns....I wish we could cut McCleon, he's that bad...

Warrior5
08-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Mc-me-owned absolutely sucks. At the very least, he shouldn't be starting. Sapp could not do worse.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Its just frusterating because CP and DV have known about this crappy cornerback situation for what, 4 years now? They keep trying to fix it by bringing in 2nd teir free agents as a band aid fix. Granted, huge props for signing Surtain, but they should have drafted a stud Cornerback years ago...

tomahawk kid
08-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Amen.

xoxo~
Gaz
Knew the “we coulda signed Ty” crap was coming, but did not expect it quite so soon.

The farther we get away from "Ty-gate" , the better I feel about the Chiefs not signing him.

I think its a 50-50 shot that he sees the field in week 1. When I was watching the Jets / Vikes preseason game on Friday, they interviewed Law on the sidelines.

He admitted he was having a hard time picking up the Jets Defensive terminology - and its similiar to the defense that the Pats run. I don't think there's anyway that he's in game shape by week 1.

tomahawk kid
08-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Its just frusterating because CP and DV have known about this crappy cornerback situation for what, 4 years now? They keep trying to fix it by bringing in 2nd teir free agents as a band aid fix. Granted, huge props for signing Surtain, but they should have drafted a stud Cornerback years ago...

That's really the glaring weakness with Peterson, in my opinion. They've had a problem @ corner since Dale Carter left for Denver in 1998.

Yet, it seems we haven't spent any upper round draft choices on an actual corner. (I think we drafted Bartee in 1999 in the second round, but he was a safety). Am I over simplifying this?

To me, if you don't spend a quality draft choice on a position of need, its going to continue to be a weakness in the long term.

wolfpack0735
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
i say let sapp start next weeks game. if he $ucks then DV can say i told you so, if he does good grandpa dv can save face. allthough one game shouldnt be used to judge him. hell, its preseason and macpasson has already showed he can`t handle it.

BigChiefFan
08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Let's not forget that Julian Battle was penciled in as the starter opposite Surtain until his injury.

Alphaman
08-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Benny Sapp might be the 2nd-best CB on this team.

Sapp is a great blitzing CB, but very poor in coverage. The fact of the matter is that we have a serious problem at CB for the first 4 games. I'd like to see us get somebody, but I don't know who would be available to us.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Let's not forget that Julian Battle was penciled in as the starter opposite Surtain until his injury.

battle's injury happened long before Law was signed

AirForceChief
08-21-2005, 04:45 PM
He might be decent.

I don't think the corners were playing read and react under Grob...It was the D-line and LBs that had to figure out who would shoot the gap and who would cover the RBs and TEs out of the backfield on pass D. The corners responsibilities arn't all that different in either scheme IMO.