PDA

View Full Version : The Boyz on the Radio are really full of themselves...

KCTitus
09-06-2000, 04:03 PM
I have yet to figure out what point they are trying to make with this 'story'.

The team is in a rebuilding mode and they are exploiting an emotional and frustrated coach.

So what if he said he thought about quitting. He's not.

Kckrazy
09-06-2000, 04:10 PM
I listen to WHB over the net and the suck. Last year I was able to get kmbz and at least Fortune(sp) was a real sports guy that didn't get his ratings by trying to find someones week spot and beat it into the ground.

Kurt Surber
09-06-2000, 06:36 PM
Greg, If this isn't a story why has it made nearly every major national sports media outlet? Does 810 drive all of those national outlets? Don't think so.

morphius
09-06-2000, 06:49 PM
Kurt - because it was reported out of context and was actually in a speech that was used to motivate the players, WHB refuses to see that.

DaWolf
09-06-2000, 06:59 PM
This is why coaches want to keep things in the locker room, because anything brought out of the locker room gets taken way out of context. There may have been some guys that were taking the loss hard and Gun said something to make them all know that the losses are all hard and personal for each of them, and they should be, and that you've got to work through the negative feelings and look forward to the next challenge, you can't spend too much time getting down.

Then the media goes and spins it like Gun was saying "Well guys, I was thinking of quitting on you but I changed my mind. What's on the agenda today?"

Chiefnj
09-06-2000, 07:22 PM
When in doubt, blame the media and hire Rufus Dawes to set the facts straight.

Things to remember:

1. A Chiefs player leaked the story to the media. The player obviously did not respect Gunther and his personal lockerroom speech.

2. Gunther should not have told his players that he felt like retiring until his wife talked him out of it. Yes, it does show that he is human and takes losses hard - but everybody already knows that. His speech raises the issue that Gunther doubts his own coaching prowess and his ability to get through to his players. If he doesn't believe in himself why should his players? If he feels like quitting after one loss what about after two losses, three losses?

[This message has been edited by Chiefnj (edited 09-06-2000).]

hawaiianboy
09-06-2000, 07:51 PM
Sorry, no matter how this is spun... a coach telling his players he thought about quitting is a mistake... if I'm a player sitting in that locker room it bothers me that my coach would quit on me...
Leadership and strength comes from the top, you do not place doubt in your players head...

Gun should have kept it to himself and given the team and himself Monday off... I like him, but if KC doesn't start winning, he'll lose control of the team ala the Kerry Collins situation a few years back...

------------------

[i] Momma said knock you out!!</I>

Cannibal
09-06-2000, 07:56 PM
chiefnj hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Packfan
09-06-2000, 07:57 PM
The Boys on the radio are getting just want they want: An audience. You guys rip on WHB but tune in every day. They must be doing something right.

Luzap
09-06-2000, 08:10 PM
And Packfan...

You rip on Carl and the Chiefs everyday, but obviousely continue to follow them closely.

Luz
carl must be doing something right...

Packfan
09-06-2000, 08:13 PM
What I still dont understand is why in the world Gunter felt that strongly that his 9-7 team should beat the 13-3 Colts. Confidence is one thing, ignorance is another. I could understand if he were this broken down after the Bears opener last year. Not this one. The Colts are the class of the AFC. The Chiefs are in the middle of the pack. Everyone knows that. Except Gunter.

morphius
09-06-2000, 08:16 PM
packfan - Maybe because we almost beat them last year. Just a thought.

Morphius
sometimes 1 + 1 does equal 2.

Luzap
09-06-2000, 08:17 PM
Ya know Ken,

Hopefully the team doesn't know that.

If they would have executed (caught the interceptions and not dropped the passes) we would have beaten the class of the NFL last week.

Luz
for a guy that claims to know more about football than ditka, you don't seem to understand a whole lot...

Packfan
09-06-2000, 08:19 PM
Morph,

Almost doesnt count. Their team went 13-3. The Chiefs went 9-7. The Chiefs lost their best defensive player (Derrick). The Colts gained a year in maturity. They have a legit coach. We have Gunter. The Chiefs looked horrible in preseason, the Colts looked pretty good. I commend the Chiefs for being in the game, albiet at the benefit of the Colts self destructing. Winnig one of the first two would be a small miracle for the Chiefs. Goals are nice, but its important that they are realistic.

Packfan
09-06-2000, 08:21 PM
Coulda Shoulda woulda Luzap. If the Colts dont fumble on the five yard line or throw the ball right to Edwards on the 40 yard line, the game is a blowout.

Bottom line is the Chiefs lost. Fair and square. The two teams play 100 times and the colts win 80 of them. They are very good team. The Chiefs are a very mediocre team. Sorry to be the one that breaks the bad news to you.

morphius
09-06-2000, 08:22 PM
Packfan - Ya, your right and the chiefs who went 7-9 had no chance to sweep a 2 game series against the 2 time SB champs last year.

You have the oddest idea of logic. Let's see we almost take them at their home and the Chiefs feel we might be able to take them at ours, hmmmm I can't imagine why homefield would make a diff.

Packfan
09-06-2000, 08:29 PM
Morph,

Re-read post #13. Your team gets older, has ANOTHER new running back, loses its best defensive player and still has Grbac. The Colts have another year under their belt with a STRONG nucleus of players and a good coach and you expect the Chiefs to win???? Plus, the Colts have owned the Chiefs for a decade. I know, you will say that doesnt matter. But it sure matter whenever you guys play the Raiders.

The Colts are a MUCH MUCH better team. The Chief should have lost and did. Gunter is in la la land if he truly believes that his squad is better than the Colts. Maybe come January when his team is once again watching the Colts in the playoffs, Gunter will understand that his team just isnt that good. Maybe you will too.

morphius
09-06-2000, 08:36 PM
I hate to tell you this, but Edwards is and was our best Defensive player, and he is still on the squad.

Cannibal
09-06-2000, 08:42 PM
The Chiefs missed Thomas against the Colts.

With that crowd, he could've made a difference. He was one the few people who was able to sack Manning last year.

KCWolfman
09-06-2000, 08:50 PM
Morph - I actually believe that Patton was the best all around defender last year. He was only behind Donnie a handful of tackles and had more fumble recoveries and sacks. That ankle sack last year was one of my favorite plays.

On the upside for Edwards is that he is comparable to Patton even now with only half the experience.

KCWolfman
09-06-2000, 08:51 PM
Of course, Edwards creamed Patton in INT's

morphius
09-06-2000, 08:54 PM
Russ - I like them both a ton, both played better then DT. That was a great play, the way he just grabbed his ankle pulled/lifted and flop goes the QB, it was art.

KCWolfman
09-06-2000, 09:38 PM
Morph - Are we redoing the draft? If so, when?

DT is HOF bound, no doubt. And teams had to plan around him until the last game he played. But he was no longer the best defensive player on the team. Those days were gone when Smith rolled on. Funny that neither one of them had the stellar performances they enjoyed together without the other.

morphius
09-06-2000, 10:24 PM
Russ - Sorry for the delay, but I have no clue.

Dr. Red
09-06-2000, 11:37 PM
Packfan your an idiot. Period.

The chiefs are as good as the Colts. Better defensively and not as good offensively.

To all chiefs fans who have a clue. You heard it here first.

Sylvester Morris is about to blow up and become a bigtime player.

Desert Chief
09-06-2000, 11:52 PM
Too many of you have Homer goggles on. Take 'em off !
What ax does Bill Maas have to grind anyway?
Gunther is not a man that can lead this team any longer. He's a flake.

Why should players have to wonder from day to day what the game "Plan" is. This guy has no plan for the team, therefore he has no team. Shanahan, Gruder, Holmgren at least they know that there is a plan. That guy who called Gun a "foot-shuffling porter" was not far off...I'm just wondering who will be the first one to hand Gun a noose after the Tenn. game.

TEX
09-07-2000, 12:34 AM
Packfan,
I agree that the Colts are better than the Chiefs. I agree that they have better players and coaches. I also believe that the Chiefs coaching staff is not able to get the best form the players. However, BOTH Colts' giveaways were CAUSED by the Chiefs. Patton exploded over the pile and timed his jump and strip perfectly. He CAUSED the fumble. You make it sound like the Colts just gave the ball away. Second, Manning was under pressure when he threw early and was picked off by Edwards. Again, the interception was CAUSED by the Chiefs. The Chiefs are NOT better than the Colts and even though they lost, they had their chances. I will also admit that I see many games like this one on the horizon for the Chiefs this season....but they're STILL my team! For what it's worth I picked them to finish 4th - not because of a lask of talent, rather because of the schedule and poor coacchig. The Donx, Raiders and Seattle have better coaching than the Chiefs. Shoot, even the Chargers might, but the Chiefs have just as much talent as the top 3 and more than the Bolts IMHO.

KCTitus
09-07-2000, 05:50 AM
Ok...I guess no one knows what point the Boyz are trying to make with this 'story'.

No one here knows exactly what and how things were said in that lockerroom.

Kurt: most of the national news has said 'ho-hum' in response to the Chicken Littles in KC.

Packfan: love #14...you pound Luz for speculating and then do the same thing yourself. I see you havent lost your touch.

This is a non-issue, everyone knows we're in rebuiding mode even if CP doesnt declare it. We're frustrated cause we never made it to or won the big game. If we're frustrated I can just image how frustrated the coaches are.

Kurt Surber
09-07-2000, 06:00 AM
Greg, They said ho-hum yes, but they did report it.

I said ho-hum too, just more of the same from the most disciplined team in america, (that would be the Chiefs.) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

KCTitus
09-07-2000, 06:08 AM
what does that have to do with discipline? Besides who said that? I think you're getting Clinton mixed up with a sports team. I dont get that...

I guess if the city leads with a non story by every local media outlet it has, I guess the 'national' press might pick it up and restate what's making 'big news' in KC.

If I were living there I'd be embarrassed that such nonsense was actually reported. Makes KC sound like Hooterville or some backwater city.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 07:46 AM
The Boyz are thirsting for a real story and are frustrated that this is all they have. So what if Gunther thought about retiring. I would be willing to bet that the illustrious Marty Schottenheimer thought the same things before he actually acted on it.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 07:47 AM
...Marty just didn't say anything to anyone about it.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 07:50 AM
Now it WOULD have been a big deal had Gunther said this after a win.

TEX
09-07-2000, 07:59 AM
maybe more was made of the story to get a "story'". IMHO, even if the incident is taken in the most simplest way, it still was not something that I would have said no matter the context. All kinds of crazy stuff can happen as a result of a statement like that.

morphius
09-07-2000, 08:03 AM
Fatlock is so upset this morning about Gunther and friends insulting him and getting in his face that he is now dead set against "water gun". It was funny he was talking trash when he couldn't even stand up to him in person, he was throwing around trash like "if I was in the hood"... What was even better was the fact that the team rallied against Whitlock yesterday and he is saying that nobody on this team is rallying. I had the strongest urge to call him this morning, tell him how it is and basically tell him, "face it man, Ya Got Nuthin'".

Clint in Wichita
09-07-2000, 08:14 AM
The Chiefs are not rebuilding, they are simply starting a few younger players because they happened to be the best on the roster.

When KC starts dumping salaries regardless of performance (Grbac, Glock, Williams, DA) and clearing out the front office, THEN they'll be rebuilding.

------------------
This is my signature!! There are many like it but this one is mine!!

nmt1
09-07-2000, 08:16 AM
Whitlock is typical of the media today. Editorialize but don't bother to back it up. Make something out of nothing so he can get face time.
He would fit in well in D.C. doing hatchet jobs on Republicans.

Clint in Wichita
09-07-2000, 08:19 AM
Rufus Dawes does the same thing from a pro-Chiefs point of view.

Whitlock needs to learn how to use misleading or incomplete stats to back up his claims.

------------------

nmt1
09-07-2000, 08:22 AM
I think Whitlock needs to learn how to use statistics instead of name calling and rabble rousing.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 08:23 AM
Whitlock is getting what he wants. He doesn't care about the Chiefs, Carl, Gunther, or Kansas City. He wants face time, and he's getting it.

KCTitus
09-07-2000, 08:23 AM
Clint: I guess you're right. They are not re-building.

Ok, so what. They are playing younger players because they need to. If that means we lose a few games, so be it. At least they are playing the younger guys.

As far as Whitlock vs. Rufus. One, Rufus, is clear about his stated bias. The other just has his head up his *** and refuses to acknowledge his bias. Same with KK...they want to be more important than the 'story' they cover. Fine...just be upfront that you have a bias.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 08:25 AM
KK is a Jim Rhome(sp?) wannabe.

Clint in Wichita
09-07-2000, 08:31 AM
I like the fact that younger guys are getting on the field. If only Lamar would start cleaning house now from Carl on down, we could be looking at a contender in a couple of years.

If the Chiefs organization would just publicly admit that they are truly rebuilding (& actually do it) & that we shouldn't expect much for a season or two, I think the fans would remain loyal. If KC keeps doing what they're doing now, however, I think a return to the mid-80s is imminent. That is unacceptable.

------------------

KCTitus
09-07-2000, 08:34 AM
I dont get this 'public admission' nonsense.

If they admitted that's what they were doing, you all would ***** about it if they didnt do it the way you see fit.

Also, if we were to return to mid-80's form, we'd have top 5 picks every year. Unless we really dump this year, we arent going to get a top 5 pick anytime soon. Next year maybe, if they were to drop 27 players and play with a 26 man roster.

Red Till Dead
09-07-2000, 08:42 AM
Packfan,

You always come on the board and try to rip the Chiefs. (Now two boards) Peterson, Gun, Players, Draft, Salary, Fans.
When called out for being a hypocrite about the packers, your defence is don't bash the Packers, understand and agree with my comments on the chiefs.

Lets get your commentary on the Pack before you spout off again on the chiefs.
THE PACK IS HAVING A MELT DOWN
- Child molestation charges
- Weed Usage
- DUI
- Vicadin
- Lost 4 of last 5 regular season games. Soon to be 5 of last 6.
- Lost home opener to a 8/8 team with first year head coach.
- Stars are getting old and injury prone.
- No defense
- Last years first year draft pick is third string, and currently be shopped around.
- 3 Head Coaches in 3 years.
- Losing season last year, and not serious contender for playoffs this year. Will they have a winning season.

Don't give the drivel that great teams have to go through a cycle to get back to the top.
What have you seen to show the Cowboys, 49rs, or Pack have done anything to be a top tier team in the near future.
ARE THE PACKERS A SECOND TIER TEAM? HMMM

redbrian
09-07-2000, 08:42 AM
You know what cracks me up about this whole "story" is that before Gun was made HC everyone inside and outside of football agreed that Gun was a players coach. All players loved playing for Gun, because he didn't bull**** them.
Now all of sudden, he's a lying incompetent boob.
Ken you have made some good points in this post except you made one mistake, the Chiefs are NOT getting OLDER, this is one of the youngest teams the Chiefs have had in years. And they are playing rookies, something you have claimed they would never do.
This is Gun's second year of building his team he does not have all of the pieces toghter.
How long do you think it took Vermile to build the Rams team? It did not happen overnight.

Baby Lee
09-07-2000, 08:43 AM
I was listening to the B yesterday afternoon and I got a hint that even KK and Whitless have rift of sorts between them. Someone called in who had been cut off [short-listed] by Whitless on a.m. Mayhem before he could talk. KK gave him Royals tickets and mumbled something to the effect that "they do things their way in the morning, we have our ways."

Although I am fully aware of their anti-Chief bias [even though its their bread and butter], I could sense that KK GETS that Whitless' comprehensive confrontational approach is NOT winning the day.

Seems like our own version of "Survivor's" snake and rat. Whitless, ever the rat, wears his disdain on his sleeve and draws sustenance from the disdain of others. KK the snake, attempts to maintain a veneer of objectivity. Distancing himself from Whitless' tatics, he nevertheless seeks the same thing, the decimation of this Chiefs team for the chance to say he was right all along.

nmt1
09-07-2000, 08:51 AM
I wonder what KK and Whitlock are motivated by. Anyone have any ideas?

Baby Lee
09-07-2000, 09:01 AM
For some people, when they are not personally invested and observe that a lot of other people are, they are able to take perverse pleasure in just "being right" about something. They have nothing invested in the Chiefs. Their audience is largely composed of voracious fans. Throw out the "this team is headed for big trouble" mantra. If they're correct, they look like genuises. If they're wrong, they can mumble all day long about "well, I gotta give 'em credit. . . I didn't think they had it in them. . . they really showed me something." Or even the extremely weaselly "well they WERE headed down the tubes, but good fortune shined on them, luckily."

The fans are so happy that the team is doing well that they have no interest in, or time for, taking them to task for their previous statements. Matter of fact, to bring up the past when the team is dong well would be "petty and small" of us as fans.

There is no way they can lose.

TheFly
09-07-2000, 10:05 AM
Being a players' coach doesn't necessarily make you a good coach.

The most OBVIOUS problems with this team are:
1) lack of preparation
2) no game plan
3) hanging too long onto people who don't perform
4) hanging onto coaches who don't have a clue

Loyalty is fine, but when you aren't getting results then you need to be objective enough to start making changes.

All these things point right back at Gun. He's the HC. He needs to act like one.<BR>