PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Too Early To Tell

petegz28
08-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Itís too early to make a call about Chiefs

By JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

Halfway through the exhibition season, and itís still difficult to get a read on the Kansas City Chiefs.

You have to credit their improved results ó Kansas Cityís first teams outscored Arizonaís starters 10-0 in the first half on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium. But the results certainly donít tell the complete story.

The referees gift-wrapped KCís first touchdown, flagging the Cardinals for a 33-yard pass interference they didnít commit. And Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner continued to prove that heís nowhere near the player he was when Marshall Faulk carried him to two league MVP trophies in St. Louis.

What we learned the most Saturday was that defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham still loves to blitz. He attacked Warner and Arizona with a plethora of linebacker, safety and corner blitzes. They all worked.

And they left you with the impression that Kansas Cityís young, swift linebackers might be able to compensate for the Chiefsí mediocre front four. Kawika Mitchell, Derrick Johnson and Kris Griffin, who started in place of Kendrell Bell, took turns making athletic plays with their speed. Scott Fujita came off the bench and forced a fumble.

In the secondary, Sammy Knight, Benny Sapp and Patrick Surtain all made plays.

Guntherís constant attack masked KCís defensive weaknesses ó corner Dexter McCleon and a front four that lacks a dominant rusher. And might I add that Jimmy Wilkerson should remain the starter at right end for at least one more week. He didnít do anything to lose the job, and Jared Allen didnít do anything to re-establish himself as the starter.

ďDefense played pretty well,Ē Dick Vermeil said. ďWe had good pressure on them.Ē

But, again, Iím reluctant to heap too much praise on KCís defense. In holding the Cardinals to 127 yards in the first half, Gunther had to get pretty exotic with his scheme. And itís difficult to articulate just how bad Warner looked. The man can barely throw a consistent spiral.

Seriously, what is Arizona coach Denny Green thinking going with Warner? The Cardinals have a suspect offensive line. Green would be better served playing a young, mobile QB such as backup Josh McCown. Arizonaís offense didnít provide the Chiefs much of a test, certainly nothing like the test Daunte Culpepper and the Minnesota Vikings gave last week.

Offensively, the Chiefs did little without the assistance of the officiating crew. The Cardinals were flagged seven times for 97 yards in the opening half. Priest Holmes ripped off a 13-yard run early. He gained 3 yards in seven other carries.

Trent Green threw almost exclusively in the direction of second-year receiver Samie Parker. Parker ran an excellent route on his 8-yard TD reception. Parker made the defender nearly fall to the ground. Parker caught two passes for 14 yards. He did pick up two ďmysteryĒ pass-interference calls.

Green finished the night six of 10 for 59 yards.

ďStill not functioning as well as we should,Ē said Vermeil, who admitted the pass-interference calls really benefited his offense.

Kansas Cityís offense clicked when Larry Johnson ran the ball behind the first-string offensive line in the second quarter. On a drive that ended with a 38-yard missed field goal by Lawrence Tynes, Johnson had runs of 16, 6, 11 and 12 yards.

Johnson looked spectacular. Right now heís the early favorite for exhibition MVP. He runs much more decisively than a year ago, and he runs with far more power.

So what weíve learned so far, nearly three weeks from the kickoff the NFL season, is that Larry Johnson will help this season and Kansas Cityís linebacking corps will be capable of making big plays.

Everything else is undecided. Whether or not an improved Johnson and linebacker corps will make a difference in the won-lost record is unknown. Stay tuned.

petegz28
08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Yes I agree it is too early to tell. I also agree Fatlock is a piece of shit who just pulled a 180 after his column on the Vikings game.

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Parker made macklin his bitch....tough crowd.

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 09:13 AM
does he even care we were missing 25 players?

Coach
08-21-2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122085

But that's ok.

As I said on that thread, Whitlock must had missed out the PI calls. The one where the Chiefs had the TD drive, there was clearly PI on Macklin.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 09:19 AM
"And Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner continued to prove that heís nowhere near the player he was when Marshall Faulk carried him to two league MVP trophies in St. Louis"

WTF Jason??? you are delusional. Warner had just as much to do with that title in 1999 as Faulk did. what an ass. The man says stuff sometimes just to get a rise out of people.

TRR
08-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Samie Parker got tackled, TACKLED, two times. Vermeil kind of took the same approach to saying KC wouldn't have scored if it weren't for the P.I. calls. I think that's bullsh*t.

One week, Gun plays vanilla D, and the writer(s) rip him for not being able to stop the opposition. The next week, Gun opens up the playbook a bit, and the writer(s) rip him for getting too creative too early.

LOL

the Talking Can
08-21-2005, 10:48 AM
One week, Gun plays vanilla D, and the writer(s) rip him for not being able to stop the opposition. The next week, Gun opens up the playbook a bit, and the writer(s) rip him for getting too creative too early.

LOL

I've never understood how you're supposed to practice blitzes without calling them in preseason....this notion that teams aren't supposed to blitz in preseason is bullshit, as teams have doing it for years...

keg in kc
08-21-2005, 10:57 AM
This is the way I saw the game: we beat their first string with a number of 2nd and 3rd stringers in the starting lineup thanks to injury. After the first team was done, our second string offensive line struggled against their first string defense, but otherwise our second stringers played about even with their first string. Our third stringers struggled against their second stringers, and our fourth stringers struggled against their third string players.

From what I could gather, all things being equal, if it's a (healthy) regular season game, I think we destroy Arizona.

I hate losing any game, preseason or otherwise, but I didn't see much to get bent out of shape about last night, excluding Tynes. That guy needs to get his head kicked straight.

TRR
08-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I've never understood how you're supposed to practice blitzes without calling them in preseason....this notion that teams aren't supposed to blitz in preseason is bullshit, as teams have doing it for years...

I agree, and I a disagree with the notion that Gun got creative with his D calling. They were straight up CB blitzes for the most part. Nothing exotic.

RINGLEADER
08-21-2005, 11:30 AM
We also learned Tynes sucked.

RINGLEADER
08-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I agree, and I a disagree with the notion that Gun got creative with his D calling. They were straight up CB blitzes for the most part. Nothing exotic.

Agree...although it did seem that Knight and Sapp were timing their blitzes much better than the blitzs coming from the edge last week (or previous years...seemed every time we went to blitz Peyton Manning the guy would start early, Manning would see it, change the play, and neutralize the blitz).

T-post Tom
08-21-2005, 11:43 AM
"And Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner continued to prove that heís nowhere near the player he was when Marshall Faulk carried him to two league MVP trophies in St. Louis"

WTF Jason??? you are delusional. Warner had just as much to do with that title in 1999 as Faulk did. what an ass. The man says stuff sometimes just to get a rise out of people.

Just another example of "The Man" keeping a brother down. Should have been Faulk that got those two MVP's. The Warner voters were all racist. Just like all the racist baseball fans who don't want to see Barry Bonds break any of Roger Maris' or Babe Ruth's records. :shake:

skky man
08-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Just curious I seem to remember towards the end of last season or after that Whitless wrote an article on how are front four were fine and that we needed only upgrade at corner and linebacker cuz that's how San Diego rebuilt there "D" now he's bitching that our linebackers and corner is fine and we need a new front four? Anyone recall that article?

KCChiefsFan88
08-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Kind of hard to evaluate the starting offense when:

1) They were playing without Tony G, Will Shields, and Jason Dunn

2) Saunders has probably used maybe 10% of his playbook in these past 2 games.

petegz28
08-21-2005, 12:36 PM
And how do we know that the Blitz packages we used weren't the "vanilla" blitzes in Gun's playbook??? I guess Gun is the only person to use the CB Blitz????

SNR
08-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Just another example of "The Man" keeping a brother down. Should have been Faulk that got those two MVP's. The Warner voters were all racist. Just like all the racist baseball fans who don't want to see Barry Bonds break any of Roger Maris' or Babe Ruth's records. :shake:Yes, it's because of racism :rolleyes:

Katipan
08-21-2005, 12:43 PM

And I bet most of them were called because Knight is so good at it.

chagrin
08-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Samie Parker, is he starting WR or what? On the kc website he isn't listed in the depth chart. I should clarify that...I know WHO is is, I just don't know where he's going to be in our lineup

keg in kc
08-21-2005, 12:50 PM
If Parker didn't solidify his position as a starter with his play last night...

go bowe
08-21-2005, 12:54 PM
then junior can fly...

Rausch
08-21-2005, 01:00 PM
The offense didn't deserve those 10 pts because, as everyone knows, once the regular season starts they no longer call PI penalties...or something.

keg in kc
08-21-2005, 01:02 PM
The offense didn't deserve those 10 pts because, as everyone knows, once the regular season starts they no longer call PI penalties...or something.And, you know, not having the starting right side of the line available, plus Gonzalez, helped the offense move more effectively. We'd have had more trouble if the game actually counted and everybody was playing.

TRR
08-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Knight is exactly the player we needed at safety. Last night is a perfect example of what he brings to this defense. How many times in years past have we finally forced a fumble, and not recovered it? Fujita finally makes a beautiful play, and Knight is right there to pounce on it.

Knight reminds me of Mike Brown from the Bears. He's not the greatest cover man, and not the greatest athlete, but damn does he have good football instincts. Knight always finds himself in the right place, at the right time. Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good.

J Diddy
08-21-2005, 01:46 PM
We also learned Tynes sucked.

Yeah I was undecided until listening to that game last night.

Lin Tynes couldn't kick his way out of a paper sack. That bouncer he whipped ought to be home crying right now, sucking his thumb.

morphius
08-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I thought that PI on Parker was a good call. As far as I can remember the arm bar is still illegal, and he most definitly did that...

mlyonsd
08-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah I was undecided until listening to that game last night.

Lin Tynes couldn't kick his way out of a paper sack. That bouncer he whipped ought to be home crying right now, sucking his thumb.

Ironic that it turns out the bouncer had the bad luck Tynes threw a punch. He would have at least had a 50-50 chance of missing if Tynes had tried kicking him.