PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Lin Elliot

katman1
08-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Lawrence Tynes gets my vote for the Lin Elliot kicking award which bears the following inscription. An accident looking for a place to happen

DJay23
08-21-2005, 01:30 PM
neg rep for even mentioning that name.

Coach
08-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Just a little advice. If you mention the name again, of any kind, any way, any shape, it is considered a bannable offense.

4th and Long
08-21-2005, 01:34 PM
neg rep for even mentioning that name.
I was just about to say ... isn't it some sort of automatic neg rep for even mentioning that name on this board?

4th and Long
08-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Just a little advice. If you mention the name again, of any kind, any way, any shape, it is considered a bannable offense.
And there's that too. ROFL

DJay23
08-21-2005, 01:40 PM
I was just about to say ... isn't it some sort of automatic neg rep for even mentioning that name on this board?
As soon as you hit "submit" and that name is in either the title or the post body, you should be hit by a huge neg rep bomb.

big nasty kcnut
08-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Get the nuthooks.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I agree, in all the years of going to games-that was the worst ever. It was freakin cold out that day. We had an awesome defense that was just wasted because of that loser. Tynes is worrying me though-I have to admit.

|Zach|
08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Memories of a good katman thread.

I am coming up short.

milkman
08-21-2005, 03:48 PM
You do realize that even if the kicker makes every one of his kicks in that game against the Colts, Marty would have found another way to lose that game.

J Diddy
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM

:rolleyes:

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Sidewinder, I am beggining to get the feeling you don't much care for old Marty Shitenhomer. So do you like Dick better? Vermeil that is.

J Diddy
08-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Sidewinder, I am beggining to get the feeling you don't much care for old Marty Shitenhomer. So do you like Dick better? Vermeil that is.

Watch what you say here, this could be a trick....

milkman
08-21-2005, 05:39 PM

I dislike Marty because of his ultra-conservative 'play not to lose' style of football (referered to as 'Martyocre' by me), which has led to the fact that his winning percentage among HCs in the playoffs is among the worst ever.

I don't like DV any better because of the fact that his blind loyalty to coaches and players of questionable talent and skills hurt this team.

Otter
08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree, in all the years of going to games-that was the worst ever. It was freakin cold out that day. We had an awesome defense that was just wasted because of that loser. Tynes is worrying me though-I have to admit.

Elliot may be a convenient scapegoat for that game but the fact still remains that a 13-3 team with home field advantage shouldn’t have had to kick a field goal to catch up in points and win the game.

Marty and his ‘play not to lose’ style of coaching is every bit as much to blame for that mess.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Elliot may be a convenient scapegoat for that game but the fact still remains that a 13-3 team with home field advantage shouldn’t have had to kick a field goal to catch up in points and win the game.

Marty and his ‘play not to lose’ style of coaching is every bit as much to blame for that mess.
Marty's strategy was a definite hindrance, but I still feel this way:

The job of the offense is to score touchdowns or get into field goal range, yes? The offense did the job asked under the given set of circumstances. No matter how conservative the method, they still moved the ball into scoring position. It's the kicker's job to score those points, and he didn't.

Douchebag is not only a convenient scapegoat, but in my opinion, a deserved one.

J Diddy
08-21-2005, 06:02 PM

The job of the offense is to score touchdowns or get into field goal range, yes? The offense did the job asked under the given set of circumstances. No matter how conservative the method, they still moved the ball into scoring position. It's the kicker's job to score those points, and he didn't.

Douchebag is not only a convenient scapegoat, but in my opinion, a deserved one.

Wrong the job of the offense is to score. Period.

The job of special teams is to kick a field goal or punt, depending on field position, when the offense doesn't do their job.

milkman
08-21-2005, 06:48 PM

I agree with J Diddy.

The fact is that Marty gave up trying to score TDs late in games when he reached FG position.

It's because of that fact that he lost so many close games.

It's also responsible for the fact that about a quarter of Elway's comeback wins were against Marty coached teams.

penguinz
08-21-2005, 07:04 PM
You can blame Lake Dawson just as much as the kicker in that game. He had a pass deflect off of hi hands in the end-zone.

Ari Chi3fs
08-21-2005, 07:20 PM
I call BS on the mentioning on Elliott. I had his JERSEY as my sig for a week and got zero negs.

Tynes blows ass though.

Bring in Wade Richey.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 07:22 PM
You can blame Lake Dawson just as much as the kicker in that game. He had a pass deflect off of hi hands in the end-zone.

Waaaay too much blame to go around in that game. You could also blame Steve (suck ass) Bono, Paul (Cant) Hackett.....

milkman
08-21-2005, 07:28 PM
I call BS on the mentioning on Elliott. I had his JERSEY as my sig for a week and got zero negs.

Tynes blows ass though.

Bring in Wade Richey.

The bottom line is, except for the Montana Chiefs in '93, Marty's Chiefs scored an average of something like 11 points in playoff games.

And against Houston, it wasn't until late in the game that the Chiefs put points on the board, 7 of which were on a blocked punt.

The fact is, that Montana got those Cheifs to the AFC title game is a testament to his greatness.

There are only a very few QBs that could overcome Marty's suckass philosophy.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Wrong the job of the offense is to score. Period.

The job of special teams is to kick a field goal or punt, depending on field position, when the offense doesn't do their job.
Well, yes of course. That is the ultimate goal.

But given their circumstances of the weather, offensive philosophy, personnel, etc, the offense did what they could. Marty pulled up the reins when we got close and thus the FG attempts. You can blame Marty for that strategy, which I do place some of the blame on him, but how many field goals were missed, 3? If the guy does his job, we win in all liklihood, Marty Shitten****er be damned.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 07:32 PM
7 of which were on a blocked punt.

I believe that was the Pittsburgh game the week before. I don't recall a blocked punt in the Houston game.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Wasn't that '97 against Denver?

milkman
08-21-2005, 07:36 PM
I believe that was the Pittsburgh game the week before. I don't recall a blocked punt in the Houston game.

Yeah, you're right.

:banghead:

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh well..It probably doesnt matter who was to blame that horrible day. Cowher would have kicked our butts the next week.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah, you're right.

:banghead:
Keith Cash was huge in both games. Either he blocked or recovered that punt (can't remember which) then had that touchdown reception at Houston and spiked the ball into the big poster of Buddy Ryan.

DJay23
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh well..It probably doesnt matter who was to blame that horrible day. Cowher would have kicked our butts the next week.
One thing we would have going for us was that it was an AFC championship in Pittsburgh. Seems it's a great place for visitors to win the AFC title.

milkman
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Well, yes of course. That is the ultimate goal.

But given their circumstances of the weather, offensive philosophy, personnel, etc, the offense did what they could. Marty pulled up the reins when we got close and thus the FG attempts. You can blame Marty for that strategy, which I do place some of the blame on him, but how many field goals were missed, 3? If the guy does his job, we win in all liklihood, Marty Shitten****er be damned.

We are talking about the Colts, who were led by Jim Harbaugh, otherwise known at that time as "Captain Comeback".

You settle for FGs, as Marty has throughout his career, you get beat by guys that have the ability to lead comebacks.

John Elway made Marty his bitch because of that.