PDA

View Full Version : Kris Wilson - are Saunders and co. trying to save him for the regular season?

Count Zarth
08-21-2005, 12:08 PM
2 preseason games, 1 catch, 7 yards.

I thought he was supposed to be involved in the offense? :shrug:

The only thing I can think of is that they want to spring the Kris Wilson trap on some of our opponents.

keg in kc
08-21-2005, 12:12 PM
We're probably focusing on testing other players, like Parker and the new starter(s) on the line. As for Wilson, I didn't watch the game, but I listened, and it sounded like he muffed some blocks. Maybe they're trying to focus on improving that part of his game.

He may be worn out, too. He's had to work an awful lot of reps with Gonzalez and Dunn both limited.

TRR
08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
They have designed plays that they run right at Kris Wilson. I saw numerous plays at TC that went right to him. I haven't seen any of those plays run in a Preseason game yet.

Take it for what it's worth.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2005, 01:52 PM
kris wilson is a football GAWD!!

go bowe
08-21-2005, 01:56 PM
he was playing tony's spot last night, which is different than where he'll be playing when tony is in the lineup...

and yes, they wanted him to work on his blocking, which definitely needs work, judging from last night...

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 05:02 PM
No, although im not ready to give up on him yet, id say hes been disappointing thus far....all hype and no action.

CoMoChief
08-21-2005, 05:04 PM
yeah Wilson sucked last night at run blocking, and I mean really sucked.

whoman69
08-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Wilson is not your prototype TE, so its no surprise his run blocking is lacking. Part of the problem with preseason is with the injuries we have, we can't put him where he would normally be playing for us. From the straight TE slot, he is probably still learning to come off blocks to get into his pass pattern.

shaneo69
08-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Kris Wilson will be our secret weapon, playing the coveted Mikhael Ricks' role in Al Saunders' explosive offense.

TEX
08-21-2005, 08:18 PM
IMO, we haven't seen much of Wilson because this year there is no need to justify the CHIEFS picking him now as that was last years hype. I only hope that when he is used it's not telegraphed.

jspchief
08-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm tired of the Wilson hype. Until the guy actually starts doing something, he's not worthy.

Meanwhile, in the NYG vs CAR game, Keary Colbert (the guy we should have used that pick on) had 5 catches for 59 yards, including a spectacular sideline catch. Oh well, at least we got a bunch of practice squad guys to choose from for our WR.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm tired of the Wilson hype. Until the guy actually starts doing something, he's not worthy.

Meanwhile, in the NYG vs CAR game, Keary Colbert (the guy we should have used that pick on) had 5 catches for 59 yards, including a spectacular sideline catch. Oh well, at least we got a bunch of practice squad guys to choose from for our WR.

Yep, count me as another guy pissed about not picking Colbert when we had the chance.

HemiEd
08-21-2005, 10:17 PM

Ahh, you did not like the Colquitt pick either, we will see when the season gets started. What hype are you referring to, the fact that he gets talked about? Once Tony starts playing, Kris can go to his normal position that he was intended for. Keg has the right take on this as usual IMO-.

jspchief
08-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Ahh, you did not like the Colquitt pick either, we will see when the season gets started. Once Tony starts playing, Kris can go to his normal position that he was intended for. Keg has the right take on this as usual.I don't know WTF you're talking about in regards to the Colquitt pick. I don't think I've ever had a negative opinion about it.

As for the Wilson pick, I could go into another long diatribe about why I hate the pick and probably always will, but I'll save it for another day.

I'll just say I hope he lives up to half his hype.

HemiEd
08-21-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't know WTF you're talking about in regards to the Colquitt pick. I don't think I've ever had a negative opinion about it.

As for the Wilson pick, I could go into another long diatribe about why I hate the pick and probably always will, but I'll save it for another day.

I'll just say I hope he lives up to half his hype.

I remembered it wrong, sorry. You thought the third was high, but were OK with the pick. I looked it up after posting that, should have done it first.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115107&highlight=chiefs+draft+colquitt

oaklandhater
08-21-2005, 11:49 PM
The only thing I can think of is that they want to spring the Kris Wilson trap on some of our opponents.

Keep telling your self that, Ill stick with the fact he sucks

Ari Chi3fs
08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
FUGG KRIS WILSON!!!1

:cuss:

We should have picked Nate Kaeding!!!1

J Diddy
08-22-2005, 12:10 AM
FUGG KRIS WILSON!!!1

:cuss:

We should have picked Nate Kaeding!!!1

Fugg that, we got Scanlon, he can kick field goals.

HemiEd
08-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Fugg that, we got Scanlon, he can kick field goals.
ROFL

mcan
08-22-2005, 12:33 AM
It was said OVER AND OVER last year that Kris Wilson is not a true TE. He is an H-Back. The coaches said without hesitation that he is undersized to put his arm on the groud. They also said that he has been tought to block from a standing position, and that's the way they will utilize him in this offense.

Two HUGE reasons we don't see Kris much this preseason: First, he's playing in a spot that he isn't suited for because of Tony and Jason being out of the lineup. Second, every play and package that features Kris is based upon those shifts and formation changes that Saunders has developed to get Kris mismatched onto linebackers. Naturally, we haven't even sent ONE reciever in motion the whole preseason.

Count Zarth
08-22-2005, 05:41 AM
Second, every play and package that features Kris is based upon those shifts and formation changes that Saunders has developed to get Kris mismatched onto linebackers. Naturally, we haven't even sent ONE reciever in motion the whole preseason.

Great point. I had not realized our offense was that vanilla.

the Talking Can
08-22-2005, 07:09 AM
AS is on 610 right now

he said they called 5 running plays in the game specifically to see how Wilson could block...they want him to be ble to line up and block so that defenses don't assume pass when he is...

with Dunn and Gonzo out they weren't able to use Wilson in his normal package....

Brock
08-22-2005, 07:34 AM

Colbert would have been a great pick.

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 08:02 AM
AS is on 610 right now

he said they called 5 running plays in the game specifically to see how Wilson could block...they want him to be ble to line up and block so that defenses don't assume pass when he is...

with Dunn and Gonzo out they weren't able to use Wilson in his normal package....

Aw come on. Al Saunders is obviously lying.

morphius
08-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Denver fans tell me that TE's do not need to know anything about blocking.

TEX
08-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Yep. And that point was driven home last year when the Panthers beat the CHIEFS at ARROWHEAD without many of their guys, but they had Colbert and he played well. :shake:

jidar1
08-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Yep. And that point was driven home last year when the Panthers beat the CHIEFS at ARROWHEAD without many of their guys, but they had Colbert and he played well. :shake:

Yeah, I remember that.

I hate facing players we passed over in the draft. It seems to get them riled up a bit.

jidar1
08-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Denver fans tell me that TE's do not need to know anything about blocking.

They might need a saddle and some spurs to the backside though.
http://ompi.onemodelplace.com/OMP_Images/Photographer/102923/mid_102923_p_E177E9FF-2B3D-897A-2E5E7921863379E0.jpg
Neigh!

Gaz
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Can you please rename that link to a shorter length?

xoxo~
Gaz
Opposed to horizontal scrolling on religious grounds.

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2005, 09:52 AM
It was said OVER AND OVER last year that Kris Wilson is not a true TE. He is an H-Back. The coaches said without hesitation that he is undersized to put his arm on the groud. They also said that he has been tought to block from a standing position, and that's the way they will utilize him in this offense.

Two HUGE reasons we don't see Kris much this preseason: First, he's playing in a spot that he isn't suited for because of Tony and Jason being out of the lineup. Second, every play and package that features Kris is based upon those shifts and formation changes that Saunders has developed to get Kris mismatched onto linebackers. Naturally, we haven't even sent ONE reciever in motion the whole preseason.No way, keep swilling the Kris-Aid! He was hurt last year, and hasn't knocked our socks off in two extremely unrepresentative preseason games. Face it, he SUCKS! :rolleyes:

jspchief
08-22-2005, 10:10 AM
No way, keep swilling the Kris-Aid! He was hurt last year, and hasn't knocked our socks off in two extremely unrepresentative preseason games. Face it, he SUCKS! :rolleyes:He's seen about as much playing time as Samie Parker.

I have no idea if he sucks or not. I just know he isn't worthy of the hype he's been given so far.

I do think the notion that an H-back is going to add some incredible dimension to this offense is a bit overly optimistic. He won't add any more to this team than a quality WR would have added. And statistically, he'll probably add less.

saraed001
08-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Kris Wilson = Jesse Haynes

htismaqe
08-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Kris Wilson = Jesse Haynes

Not hardly.

Jessie Haynes was undrafted. Wilson was a 2nd-round pick.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Jay Glazer, Fox Sports

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4796846?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Future Pro Bowler but current sleeper

If the Chiefs ever decide to move TE Tony Gonzalez, they'd be paving the way for the AFC's next potential Pro Bowl target. TE Kris Wilson, who was scheduled to be a big part of the Chiefs offense a year ago before injury squelched such plans, is once again all the rave at Chiefs camp. Even Gonzalez proclaims the sophomore tight end as having all the tools.

"If he ever had the chance, he'd catch 70 to 80 balls a year easy," said Gonzalez of the man who will line up with him in some two-TE sets. "The guy catches everything. You can't cover him."

Wilson isn't tall for a TE at 6-foot-2, but he has that special quality Gonzo talks about that should give teams fits this year. He has the potential to do a lot of damage when he's on the field. If he does, in fact, turn into the pass catcher they are hoping for, Trent Green could have the best TE-combo in the league and in recent memory to use as a safety valve.

PastorMikH
08-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Why would we be saving Wilson for the regular season and playing Priest and Green?

Perhaps Wilson isn't living up to all of last year's hype.

Count Zarth
08-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Why would we be saving Wilson for the regular season and playing Priest and Green?

Perhaps Wilson isn't living up to all of last year's hype.

I think the book on Priest and Green is pretty well documented. The secret is out - they are good. ROFL

TEX
08-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I have nothing against Wilson. He can't help all the HYPE the CHIEFS put on him because they had to justify the pick.

I was screaming in the 2nd round of the '04 draft for us to draft Colbert. So, in my mind, that's the guy I compare the Wilson pick to. Thus far it's been no contest as Colbert played well for the Panthers. Anyone remeber last years game against Carolina at ARROWHEAD?

Wilson was/is a "tweener" TE at this level and the way the organization feels about "tweeners" on defense, I was surprised (actually shocked) by the pick of Wilson in round 2 - but then again, he was an offensive pick so they felt they got a steel of a pick. Go figure... :shake:

philfree
08-22-2005, 11:34 PM
IMO the player we missed on last year was Darnell Docket. He coulda helped our D. Now if Wilson lives up to his billing then I'll have no regrets.

PhilFree:arrow:

TEX
08-22-2005, 11:37 PM
IMO the player we missed on last year was Darnell Docket. He coulda helped our D. Now if Wilson lives up to his billing then I'll have no regrets.

PhilFree:arrow:

I hear ya. Can you say Siavii instead? :banghead:

hbkeay
08-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I remember that.

I hate facing players we passed over in the draft. It seems to get them riled up a bit.

it sure seemed like every opposing offensive player got riled up to play the chiefs last year, especially crappy quarterbacks and running backs. for instance, i was convinced that quentin griffin was the real deal. anyway, wilson doesn't block very well but he's fast and can catch. he's still an asset, i just think he was picked a round early.

Mr. Laz
08-25-2005, 10:54 AM
bump