PDA

View Full Version : Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca) - GAY?

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes, I know you all hate me for suggesting this. You all hate me anyway, so whatever.

But really, consider my argument. It's intriguing.

What I find most odd about this is that I thought of this the FIRST TIME I viewed Casablanca.

Consider this line early in the movie:

UGARTE
"Rick, I hope you are more impressed with me now, huh? If you'll forgive me, I'll share my good luck with your roulette wheel."

RICK
"Yes, you're right, Ugarte. I am a little more impressed with you."

OK, now that's just a bit silly, but now we're getting into the real meat and potatoes.

Consider the scene not long after when Rick walks to the bar.

]Rick saunters over and leans on the bar, next to Yvonne.
He pays no attention to her. She looks at him bitterly,
without saying a word.

YVONNE
Where were you last night?
RICK
That's so long ago, I don't remember.
YVONNE
Will I see you tonight?
RICK
(matter-of-factly)
I never make plans that far ahead.

And later on....

YVONNE
Who do you think you are, pushing me
around? What a fool I was to fall
for a man like you.
Rick and Yvonne approach the waiting cab.
RICK
(to Sacha)
You'd better go with her, Sacha, to
be sure she gets home.
SACHA
Yes, boss.
RICK
And come right back.

Rick then sits down for a scene with Monsieur Renalt. This will not be the first time Rick tosses aside a woman and ends up with a man.

Later on, we have this little exchange:

RENAULT
Rick is completely neutral about
everything. And that takes in the
field of women, too.
STRASSER
You weren't always so carefully
neutral. We have a complete dossier
on you.

And it's pretty hard to pass this up without smirking:

RENAULT
(smiling)
Mademoiselle, you are in Rick's and
Rick is --
ILSA
-- Is what?
RENAULT
Well, Mademoiselle, he's the kind of
a man that, well, if I were a woman
and I...
(taps his chest)
were not around, I should be in love
with Rick.

And more...

SAM
Oh, he never... well...
(desperately)
he's got a girl up at the Blue
Parrot. He goes up there all
the time.
ILSA
You used to be a much better liar,
Sam.

And now, of course, there is this scene:

RICK
Where is she? Have you seen her?
SAM
No, Mr. Richard. I can't find her.
She checked out of the hotel. But
this note came just after you left.

Sam pulls an envelope from his pocket. Rick grabs it, opens
it, and stares down at the letter.

Richard,
I cannot go with you or ever see you
again. You must not ask why. Just
believe that I love you. Go, my
darling, and God bless you.
Ilsa

Raindrops pour down the letter, smudging the writing.

SAM

That's the last call, Mr. Richard,
do you hear me? Come on, Mr.
Richard. Let's get out of here.
Come on, Mr. Richard, come on.

Sam pulls a stunned, reluctant Rick to the train. The train
starts to move just as he boards.
From the steps he looks off into the distance, then crumbles
the letter and tosses it away as the steam from the engine
clouds over him.

Yes, folks, this is the second time in the film that Rick Blaine leaves a woman to be with a man. The same man he is with right before this flashback.

Now, let us consider another incident. Annina, a Bulgarian woman, approaches Rick and asks to speak.

RICK
How did you get in here? You're
under age.
ANNINA
I came with Captain Renault.
RICK
(cynically)
I should have known.
ANNINA
My husband is with me, too.
RICK
He is? Well, Captain Renault's
getting broadminded. Sit down.
Will you have a drink?

Yes, only when she mentions HER HUSBAND does Blaine ask her to have a drink. And of course, another reference to Captain Renault's homosexuality.

And then this...

ANNINA
Monsieur Rick, what kind of man is
Captain Renault?
RICK
Oh, he's just like any other man,
only more so. :hmmm:

Rick then gets back to the subject of her husband. He asks here where he is, how long they've been married (not long)...and then excuses himself.

Where does he go?

Right to Annina's husband, who has the curiously gender neutral name JAN.

Yes, this is the THIRD time Rick has left a woman and gone straight to a man. And of course, does a huge favor for him.

But WAIT. THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!

Later on, this line.

RENAULT
There's still something about this
business I don't quite understand.
Miss Lund, she's very beautiful,
yes, but you were never interested
in any woman.

And finally, the piece de resistance. Rick gives the letters of transit to Lazlo and Ilsa, convinces Ilsa to leave, leaving just Rick Blaine...and Captain Renault. The very GAY Captain Renault.

RENAULT
It might be a good idea for you
to disappear from Casablanca for
a while. There's a Free French
garrison over at Brazzaville.
I could be induced to arrange a
passage.
RICK
My letter of transit? I could use
a trip. But it doesn't make any
difference about our bet. You
still owe me ten thousand francs.
RENAULT
And that ten thousand francs should
pay our expenses.
RICK
Our expenses?
RENAULT
Uh huh.
RICK
Louis, I think this is the beginning
of a beautiful friendship.

Yes, for the fourth time in the film, Rick Blaine leaves a woman, and ends up with a man.

Just look at that limp wrist, folks.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7710/bogart14qv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DJay23
08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
um, ok sure.

Valiant
08-21-2005, 03:43 PM
WTF would this even pop into your head??? Second, why would you post about it??? All this post of yours has done, is have us question your sexuality instead of Bogarts...

Rain Man
08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
They didn't have gay people in the 1940s. Everybody knows that.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh Go Chiefs you have fallen to a new low. Bogart was such a badazz, check out Tokyo Joe-he dies for a little girl-then say he is gay. I find it funny you post a guy in all leather with a hat shaped like a penis-and you think Boogey is gay????

Oh and I don't hate ya, I find your postings slightly annoying but humorous in a non masculine way.

AirForceChief
08-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Oh, I do friggin hate you...and there is just so much wrong about that post that I can't take time from such a great day to debunk it all.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh Go Chiefs you have fallen to a new low. Bogart was such a badazz, check out Tokyo Joe-he dies for a little girl-then say he is gay.

I didn't say Bogart was gay. I said RICK BLAINE was gay.

4th and Long
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue213/french3.jpg
Why?
WHY!!!???
WHYYYYYYYYYYUHHHH!!!!!!??????

Dick Bull
08-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Actually I think the corrolation here is between extremely long posts and homosexuality. The longer the post the bigger the fag.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 03:58 PM
But that was his signature movie-his most famous role. Who is next on your hit list Rock Hudson, Liberace, Richard Simmons-I suppose you think they are gay too.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 04:01 PM
But that was his signature movie-his most famous role. Who is next on your hit list Rock Hudson, Liberace, Richard Simmons-I suppose you think they are gay too.

ROFL

Tomorrow I'll make a post about the phallic nature of The Maltese Falcon.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 04:11 PM
LOL okay, can't wait for that one. Darth Vader's hood does not look like a c#ck, but the Maltese falcon does??? Do you often see the shape of penis's in random movies and objects?? Very interesting.

Unrelated question-why are your dots by your post red and what do they mean?

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 04:12 PM
LOL okay, can't wait for that one. Darth Vader's hood does not look like a c#ck, but the Maltese falcon does??? Do you often see the shape of penis's in random movies and objects?? Very interesting.

Unrelated question-why are your dots by your post red and what do they mean?

My rep was maxed out a few days ago. Phobia made everyone's ability to rep = their post count for like 15 minutes and I got bombed. Lost over 50,000 rep points.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Further proof: Rick Blaine and Captain Renault are the ONLY characters to wear white coats in the entire movie.

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Well if they had on white coats-that seals the deal then. Everyone knows that Homosexuals only wear white coats. Come to think of it John Wayne wore a white coat once in one of his movies. All this time the Duke was a fag.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Well if they had on white coats-that seals the deal then. Everyone knows that Homosexuals only wear white coats. Come to think of it John Wayne wore a white coat once in one of his movies. All this time the Duke was a Rump Ranger.

No no no. It is symbolic. Blaine and Renault are the only gay characters in the movie, therefore, they are also the only characters in the movie wearing white coats.

Rain Man
08-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Steve Martin is a wild and crazy gay?

Over-Head
08-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Your too f**king retarded to even respond to over this post. None the less

Your also a liar telling us that you thought this up on your own.
The debate over "Rick Blaineís " sexuality as portrayed in the movie has been around since the film was released in 1942.

I've read this exact write up before in one version or another with most of them quoting exactly what you have in bold text. Siskel and Ebert actually did a one-hour special digging deeply into this same suggestion.

I'm a huge fan of Bogartís work. Of the 60 plus films he made commercially (various accounts have it ranging between 64 and 67) I own a copy of 42 of them.

Casablanca was a magical movie that has endured because it was character driven.
Had you done a bit more research than just stumbling onto the "gay Bogart" when you were googling you'd understand a few finer points of the movie that were intentionally written bin by Julius and Philip Epstein when they wrote the screen play

If I knew absolutely NOTHING else about you, after reading this lame post I'd still call you a moron.

Frazod
08-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Further proof: Rick Blaine and Captain Renault are the ONLY characters to wear white coats in the entire movie.

Have you even SEEN this movie? Assclown. 4321

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 06:59 PM

What?

Sorry, but that's 100% original thread starter from yours truly. You can't find anything even remotely close to what I just posted on the net. I'd know, because I went looking for it before I posted this.

The debate over "Rick Blaineís " sexuality as portrayed in the movie has been around since the film was released in 1942.

I'm glad you got done with insulting me to put this in here. That's very interesting, I had no idea. I'd love to read a more in-depth analysis than what I threw up here.

I've read this exact write up before in one version or another with most of them quoting exactly what you have in bold text.

Nope. Like I said, this is original. The only stuff I copied and pasted was from the script.

Had you done a bit more research than just stumbling onto the "gay Bogart" when you were googling you'd understand a few finer points of the movie that were intentionally written bin by Julius and Philip Epstein when they wrote the screen play.

Screw you. Yes, I googled, but found almost nothing. The only thing I found was a reference to Renault's possibly homosexuality. Again, where is your proof that I am plagiarizing?

If I knew absolutely NOTHING else about you, after reading this lame post I'd still call you a moron.

Of course. That's what you do best here at Chiefsplanet.

Over-Head
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Guess he missed the letter in the rain scene, or better yet, the ending where Ilsa and Victor head off towards the plane :hmmm:
Or How about when she shows up after Sam leaves the club and pulls the gun out of the pocket of her WHITE coat.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Yes. The other day.

Now, I'll admit, I didn't research this point thoroughly, but as far as I can tell, they are the only ones. Everyone else that might be wearing white is wearing off-white or tan.

And besides, I was half kidding and expecting someone to call me on it.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Guess he missed the letter in the rain scene

I'm not even sure what you're referring to here. Sam is wearing a dark coat, and Rick is wearing a tan trench coat.

, or better yet, the ending where Ilsa and Victor head off towards the plane

Lazlo? His coat appears to be off-white or tan, sorry.

Or How about when she shows up after Sam leaves the club and pulls the gun out of the pocket of her WHITE coat.

That's a female character. Obviously I was referring to MALES here.

If you're referring to the fact that Rick and Renault don't wear white at times, yes, that's true. I didn't say they wore white for the entire movie, I said they are the only characters to wear white coats. In the ENTIRE movie, they are the only ones, as far as I can tell.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Seriously, Over-Head, you're full of shit.

Look what happens when you google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rick+blaine+gay&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=humphrey+bogart+gay&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=casablanca+gay&btnG=Search

There's nothing at any of those links that even REMOTELY resembles what I've posted here.

Bowser
08-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Somebody had best check on Jenson. He probably ahd a stroke when he read this thread.

And, before I forget.....

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Somebody had best check on Jenson. He probably ahd a stroke when he read this thread.

Heh, I talked to him. His response was something like "I'm not recommending anymore Bogart movies to you!"

I'm going to watch "The African Queen" later. I guess I can't call his character gay in that movie since he's on a boat with a chick most of the time.

AirForceChief
08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
My rep was maxed out a few days ago. Phobia made everyone's ability to rep = their post count for like 15 minutes and I got bombed. Lost over 50,000 rep points.

If you ever merited a single rep point I'd be stuned...please, just for me, go far, far away.

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
If you ever merited a single rep point I'd be stuned...please, just for me, go far, far away.

32,767, BITCH! READ IT AND WEEP!

Rain Man
08-21-2005, 08:25 PM
So if a woman wears a white coat, does it mean she's a lesbian? Or does it mean she likes guys and is therefore hetero? And if it's the latter, is a woman who wears a non-white coat a lesbian, or do coats even provide a secret sexuality code for women? If not, what is the secret sexuality code for woman, other than than straddling other women naked, in which case it's not really secret?

Douche Baggins
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
So if a woman wears a white coat, does it mean she's a lesbian? Or does it mean she likes guys and is therefore hetero? And if it's the latter, is a woman who wears a non-white coat a lesbian, or do coats even provide a secret sexuality code for women? If not, what is the secret sexuality code for woman, other than than straddling other women naked, in which case it's not really secret?

Looking like Rosie O'Donnell.

Darkwolfe
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
:Lin:

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
I have to admit I have recently become a big Bogart fan after finding some remastered DVD's at the library. He deserves to be ranked up there with the greatest of all time. So correct me if I am wrong. I took the white coats/Rick and the Inspectors behavior as a sort of back handed slap at not only Hollywood, but also the Jews that facilitated and helped the Nazis. In the movie- Rick hates the Germans but remains neutral to stay in business, and the Inspector hates them but does their bidding. To me that is the symbolism that the characters portray. At that time Hollywood was run for the most part by the Jewish community, but really stayed in the shadows about their religion fearing a backlash. Do you remember how well received Charlie Chaplin was on his portrayal of Hitler? To me it was a way to show the American public what was really going on, to take a stand on the Holocaust without exposing themselves. Once Pearl Harbor happened-Hollywood became a propeganda machine to public opinion. Before that the consensus was to stay out of it.

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Dude, you definitely need to get out more..... :shake:

Frankie
08-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca) - GAY?

Let me guess. gochiefs checked out this flick and 5 minutes into watching it his GAYDAR started acting up!
:hmmm: :p

Halfcan
08-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Is that Doppler Gaydar with storm tracker?

Douche Baggins
08-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Dude, you definitely need to get out more..... :shake:

Why? Because I took 30 minutes to go through the script and extract the lines I needed? SCREW YOU!

Amnorix
08-22-2005, 08:09 AM
:shake: Pathetic thread.

Douche Baggins
09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
This gem deserves a bump.

Raiderhader
09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
This gem deserves a bump.

No, it doesn't. This thread is nothing more than heresy.

Psyko Tek
09-20-2006, 08:07 PM
well then

bringbackmarty
09-20-2006, 08:35 PM

I've read this exact write up before in one version or another with most of them quoting exactly what you have in bold text. Siskel and Ebert actually did a one-hour special digging deeply into this same suggestion.

I'm a huge fan of Bogartís work. Of the 60 plus films he made commercially (various accounts have it ranging between 64 and 67) I own a copy of 42 of them.

Casablanca was a magical movie that has endured because it was character driven.
Had you done a bit more research than just stumbling onto the "gay Bogart" when you were googling you'd understand a few finer points of the movie that were intentionally written bin by Julius and Philip Epstein when they wrote the screen play

Yeah and GC who cares if the character was gay anyways, my guess would be that the mystery about the characters sexuality adds to his depth.

Who cares if you are gay.

Gay ain't goin' away.

Gay has been here before christ and chances are lots of people will be in same sex unions, and doin what they do at the exact moment earth goes up in flames.

You are a plagarist, however because you did not cite your souces for the article you so mercilessly ripped off. Plagarists are criminals with no imagination. Maybe you should focus on quality before quantity, with regards to posting here.

Douche Baggins
09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL. Amazing. People are still accusing me of ripping this off.

Sorry. 100% original.

listopencil
09-20-2006, 09:57 PM
LOL. Amazing. People are still accusing me of ripping this off.

Sorry. 100% original.

Maybe everyone just assumed you stole this stupid idea from some retarded website because it seemed like something you would have done at the time.

Douche Baggins
09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
"At the time" was almost exactly one year ago.

listopencil
09-20-2006, 10:08 PM
"At the time" was almost exactly one year ago.

Yeah...and?

Douche Baggins
09-20-2006, 10:09 PM
And? One year ago was well after my trolling days.

Douche Baggins
09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
I've never been known to be a plagiarist, anyway. Frankly, the accusations offend me to this day. :harumph:

listopencil
09-20-2006, 10:16 PM
And? One year ago was well after my trolling days.

It takes a long time to change people's opinion of you. There were a few posts of yours here and there that made me change my perceptions but I really can't speak for everyone. I would not find it suprising if general consensus was that you were still quite trollish a year ago.

listopencil
09-20-2006, 10:17 PM
PS- Regardless of whether you considered yourself trollish at the time of the thread starter, this was a really stupid concept.

Valiant
09-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Well actually go into google and type is humphrey bogart gay in casablanca and you get tons of hits... Hell one had comments going back in forth from 1994.. Seems to me that most of these comments stem from Gay people mirroring their values upon the movie and seeing what they want to see... Which goes back to my original statement in this thread about you...

Fairplay
09-21-2006, 05:01 AM
There was also this scene

RICK
Lets go outside i need to smoke a cigar.

Sam
I have one for you.

Amnorix
09-21-2006, 07:17 AM
I seriously hope that you didn't take the time to write all that yourself as an original work.

Bwana
09-21-2006, 07:32 AM

ck_IN
09-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Original or not, this is idiotic even for you GoChief.